Discussion - Your word for soft drinks | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Your word for soft drinks

Your word for soft drinks

• Pop

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Soda

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Coke

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 38 27.3%

• Total voters

_ATMA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
ok i have been arguing with my friends for years over which is "correct" as a word for soft drinks here in michigan the word is "Pop" but they think its stupid and teh real word is "soda" but i think thats stupid

some of my words from the community:

"it entirely depends on where u grew up and or how long u have been living in an area, here in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, etc the dominate slang word for soft drinks is "Pop". its a cultural and regional dialect thing so i guess its difficult to make a decision based on just the community as most of the users are based out west or down south :P lol"

so now i was wondering What is your word for a soft drink :D and Pop, Soda, Coke? or do you use another word?

gdupninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just soda. Ive never called it Pop and althogh ive heard pop is used that way ive never heard anyone say it and I live in Florida. It's just .....Soda.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always called it soda, but my mom, who's from Minnesota, calls it pop -_-;

Imperium

Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I chose other. It is not coke, pop or soda, it is known as fizzy drinks!

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
"Soda" in Germany is a mineral water with a high amount on carbonic acid. So, if you order a Soda here, you'll just get carbonated water. Coke is just used for Cola-like drinks here - but you usually order a Cola not a Coke, or a Fanta, Sprite, Pepsi... the usually branding stuff, even if they sell a cheap drink under a different name, they will just take e.g. Fanta = Orange Limo. Never heard Pop, but Alko-Pops are sweet alcoholic drinks loved by many teens.

Carbonated soft drinks in general are called "Limo" (short from Limonade, engl. lemonade) or on older term is "Brause" (engl. sprinkler or sherbet). A mix of mineral water and juice is called "Schorle" and a mix of Orange Limo/Cola is a "Spezi" (when it's more Cola then Orange, then a "Kalter Kaffee", engl. Cold Coffee).

Non-carbonated soft drinks would be just "Saft" (engl. Juice) for common speech. Although they're more watery then normal Juice, we use the same word for both. It's a little more detailed for offical speech where we have a lot of different words depending on how much juice is actually in the juice (:XD), but who cares >.>

Last edited:

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Eh... We call it just 'soft drink' down at Australia. Coke is for Coca-Cola, Soda, I think, is for mineral water, like in Germany, and we don't use 'pop' at all. Is 'pop' an american term?

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
it's always been pop to me, but i am also from the midwest. it's true about the regional differences, at least in the us. one of my college roommates called it soda and she was from the east coast (maryland). according to her, that's what most people call it on the east coast. i am interested to see what most people from other countries call it or if they even care.

either way, i don't like calling it soda......i vote for pop!

_ATMA

Reaction score
Country
United States
it's always been pop to me, but i am also from the midwest. it's true about the regional differences, at least in the us. one of my college roommates called it soda and she was from the east coast (maryland). according to her, that's what most people call it on the east coast. i am interested to see what most people from other countries call it or if they even care.

either way, i don't like calling it soda......i vote for pop!
lol ur my new best friend x.x i hate the word soda it annoys the hell out of me :s i was born and raised in michigan and thats all everyone here calls it by :P unless your from out of state or lived out of state for a long time lol

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's always been soda for me :amuse

My midwestern friends and I used to have long debates over this, since they called it pop :XD

rabb

Reaction score
Country
United States
soda for me too, and the only people i've ever heard call it pop were from oregan

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
We call them minerals in Ireland.
Pop makes me think of old snooty British people, soda makes me think of Americans, and Coke is...Coke.

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I chose other. It is not coke, pop or soda, it is known as fizzy drinks!
I've heard of that too!

Well, I've NEVER heard anyone call it Pop or Soda here. I think most of the time when someone drinks soft drinks = Coke or Pepsi. But I can safely say Coke is considered the soft drink because 100% of can vending machine have coke and are advertising coca cola. >.>

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's called carbonated drinks.

People in my hometown sometimes just call it cola. :nuts Speaking of branding influence.

unasuvas

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I switch between 'soda' and 'coke' but I usually just call it by it's brand name like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, etc.

Pop reminds me of candy for some reason...

Az3r

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
As Leen said, it's carbonated drinks. I just call it soda or the brand's names. I've heard it's called 'sodapop' somewhere, though.

Ayah

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Unless I'm referring to a specific brand (duh!), I call them soda; never pop. I say coke when I'm referring to the brand and the stimulant. I use the term soft drinks more often than soda though.

_ATMA

Reaction score
Country
United States
wow there seems to be alot of words for out side the US x.x the primary words here are pop, coke, and soda depending where in the country u go

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a type of drink that is called Soda. >__<

When people say soda, I'll think that they are referring to that drink.

When people say pop, I just think that they are crazy.

One time, I walked into a shop in US and they asked me if I wanted my hotdog with chips and pop. I just said yes. To my disbelief, chips means crackers (potato chips too but all of them are crackers) and pop means soft drinks.

I hate soft drink but I had to take one too. :gigglebunny

Funny how language works.

One interesting story I heard from my English teacher:

And Indian and an Englishman sat together in a train. The Indian sat near the window while the Englishman sat near the aisle. They felt hot and so the Indian opened the window. However, the train was nearing a tunnel and so the Englishman said, "Look out".

What he meant was to be careful but the Indian took the words literally and looked out. Bum, his head was gone after hitting the tunnel wall at high speed.

That's the story of how words get misinterpreted. :gigglebunny

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
One interesting story I heard from my English teacher:

And Indian and an Englishman sat together in a train. The Indian sat near the window while the Englishman sat near the aisle. They felt hot and so the Indian opened the window. However, the train was nearing a tunnel and so the Englishman said, "Look out".

What he meant was to be careful but the Indian took the words literally and looked out. Bum, his head was gone after hitting the tunnel wall at high speed.

That's the story of how words get misinterpreted. :gigglebunny
i didn't know you were such a sadist; hearing a man losing his head isn't exactly funny you know. :p I think I have a vivid imagination, must be all thanks to Gantz. :XD

jim mayniam

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
indiscrimately, i call them all coke...as in, "hey man, wanna coke?"

"yeah"

"which kind?"

"dr. pepper"