Fun - 1999 vs 2011 Versions | Page 12 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsticky005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
True. Don't get me wrong either, I'm not trying to say 'Oh it's just filler shit about Zepile, no one cares about that.' I'm annoyed they're cutting this much too. I may have just misunderstood you, and if I did I'm sorry. It just sounded as if you were saying the arc wasn't ALREADY mostly about the spiders and Kurapika. In any case people like most of us here might be disappointed because we read and love the manga, but I've noticed non manga readers are pretty cool with this. That's awesome since it means more fans might be tempted to check out 1999 and or the manga after seeing this, which is pretty much the purpose of any anime.

So much quality in these screenshots. So. Much. Quality.

Like I said before, Nippon animation may have included the manga scenes, but it looks as if they only did because they 1) needed the filler to keep pace with the manga or 2) Were forced to. That animation doesn't seem indicative of a company that kept this in 'cause they thought it was necessary.

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not saying "Look at how great this episode was in the 1999 series".
I'm disappointed with BOTH versions but I'm disappointed with Madhouse's version even MORE.
Though I admit part of that is because I have higher expectations for Madhouse than I did with Nippon.

I think each version had their strengths and weaknesses. But both versions were a weak adaptation.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

I think they will include that scene here:
In this scene Killua mentions what he said about his father before. Maybe in the anime he will tell them there.
I was thinking that would make the most sense as well.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not saying "Look at how great this episode was in the 1999 series".
I'm disappointed with BOTH versions but I'm disappointed with Madhouse's version even MORE.
Though I admit part of that is because I have higher expectations for Madhouse than I did with Nippon.

I think each version had their strengths and weaknesses. But both versions were a weak adaptation.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

I was thinking that would make the most sense as well.
Agreed Sticky. Agreed. I had high hopes for this episode until I saw how much they intended to cover. To be honest I've been actually dreading each week before the episode airs, mainly because Madhouse has been sorta up and down with the quality (As in what is covered and what isn't, not animation quality.) More so than I have been looking forward to seeing HXH each week. At least I hope starting from next week, things should be okay since its Gon, Killua AND the spiders. I just hope they don't shoehorn more Kurapika into those episodes cause I really am sorta tired of him. I never realized how little I cared for him until re-reading the manga and watching this reboot.

If 2011 can top 1999's scene where Phinks and Paku discover Killua and Gon, then I'll forgive Madhouse...a little. (Though that scene is going to be hard to top. REALLY hard to top.)

Last edited:

MegamanX195

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think they will include that scene here:
In this scene Killua mentions what he said about his father before. Maybe in the anime he will tell them there.
I also thought the same thing. And I hope that is the case.

On to the episode... it got the point across. Nothing major was left out, everything was "condensed" somehow. It wasn't badly condensed, it was actually a pretty good job considering what they were aiming for (getting faster to the Ryodan part). The problem was that it was condensed.

Aside from what was cut, I can't find any major flaws within the episode itself, as every major plot point was laid out. The music direction was good to me. One thing that bugged me was the omission of the humor and the calculations in the shop scene. I was really looking forward to that, as I find it to be one of the funnier Yorkshin moments (don't ask me why, I'm just weird like that!).

Definitely the worst episode yet, in my opinion. Everything happens, but it happens a little too fast at times (but I probably only thought this because my mind was still trying to keep up with all the manga changes). Not bad enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth, but the first one to legitimately leave me feeling "Meh."

6.5/10. It drops to 6 if Killua's convo isn't added next episode. It's an average-to-good score, so it sums up my thoughts of the episode pretty well. Just to make it clear, though, I entirely understand MH's choices regarding this episode. It's sorta like those times where you know something will happen that you won't like, and you know exactly why and understand it, but you can't help but feel bad anyway when it does.

I'll probably be watching it again sometime soon, and re-reading the corresponding manga chapters before doing so. The score will change after that, most likely for the better.

Last edited:

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agreed Sticky. Agreed. I had high hopes for this episode until I saw how much they intended to cover. To be honest I've been actually dreading each week before the episode airs, mainly because Madhouse has been sorta up and down with the quality (As in what is covered and what isn't, not animation quality.) More so than I have been looking forward to seeing HXH each week. At least I hope starting from next week, things should be okay since its Gon, Killua AND the spiders. I just hope they don't shoehorn more Kurapika into those episodes cause I really am sorta tired of him. I never realized how little I cared for him until re-reading the manga and watching this reboot.

If 2011 can top 1999's scene where Phinks and Paku discover Killua and Gon, then I'll forgive Madhouse...a little. (Though that scene is going to be hard to top. REALLY hard to top.)
Kurapika WILL be in the episode but don't worry he's really only there to listen to Light Nostrade reintroduce Silva and Zeno.

And I'm REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY hoping they use The zoldyck mansion theme there. that theme was made for that moment.
I mean the track in the 99 series was great. But this could be downright epic. It might be unfair but I'm expecting a 9 or 10 out of 10 episode from Madhouse
next week.

Netero

Reaction score
Country
United States
By the looks of the preview. The scene with Gon and Killua being cornered by Phinks, and Paku looks great. So i'm expecting good things from the next episode. Now don't disappoint me Madhouse :heh

*Edit* Whoops. I meant to post this in the HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion Part 2 thread lol.

Last edited:

Half The Sky

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
/snip Take one look at Crunchyroll comments section and you will see that the vast majority does not give a shit about this side story and that is the point, it is a side story serving one purpose, to exist as a breather between the serious moments with the main story of Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe.

I for one do not believe there to be a pacing issue at all. This arc has been paced excellently in my opinion and has trimmed a lot of the unnecessary fat, while increasing the important points. This is a story arc not about how Gon and friends eventually get Greed Island, that is a side story, this is the story of when Kurapika tangled with the Phantom Troupe. I dont understand why you are hating on it so much, it makes sense for Madhouse to accentuate the ACTUAL main story of the arc and highlight it. /snip
That is no side story; these experiences are a part of the main story. When Togashi writes, his side stories usually reveal the past in some form or another, they often occur with flashbacks, or simple narrative explanations of facts in single pages. Togashi never does anything important without explaining how it is done in his own world. Knowing in depth "how?" is just as important as knowing exactly "what?".

Unquoted, you've stated that catering to the majority is the time-efficient and reasonable manner of presenting Hunter X Hunter as an animation, that these minor scenes are irrelevant in the grand scheme of the plot. You've said that this is like unnecessary fat; indeed, it is like fat, but it is as necessary as the fat that insulates critical organs. These small adventures that explain the handling of rare items are part of the premise (Hunting of ANYTHING) of the series and justify its namesake.

Togashi wrote the hunt for greed island because it is necessary to get from one point to the other. Is it an important part of the story? Yes. Are the things that were cut a deal breaker? No. Do they damage the story and what it needs to convey to us? No.
Experiences like this are also a part of the Gon and Killua's developments, to see their behavior in a world beyond normal conflict sets them apart from other fictional characters with thinner personalities. They are not just hunting for a copy of Greed Island, it's showing how they overcome the money problem to buy Greed Island in the first place. So, removing the written details doesn't damage the plot progression (story is too vague) but it damages the characters.

It's not okay to just have it in pill form provided that Kurapika won't be present later (fact) or because this is mainly an arc featuring Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe (opinion). Because these are as valid as:
"An arc about marketing rare goods won't surface later, appraisal of goods should be made in more detail because this is a manga about hunting." OR "This is an arc featuring Gon and Killua teaming up with Kurapika to hunt the Spider to win bounty money for Greed Island, we should know how much consideration was taken for them to decide this was a good idea.". My arguments, like yours, can come off as seeing the larger picture.
/end rant

@The past two pages

I must say there is some confusion as to what makes a better animation: a closer representation of the content in the manga or deliberate artistic changes.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
I must say there is some confusion as to what makes a better animation: a closer representation of the content in the manga or deliberate artistic changes.
What would you say makes for a better animation?

Half The Sky

Reaction score
Country
Canada
For me, it's ones that provide me with a source of good escapist fiction, encourages more imagination and is demonstrated to be made with considerable creative thought behind it. So, the mood, music, all the little character drama CDs and non-canon published stories portrayed in Hunter X Hunter 1999 makes it easier for me to imagine that specific world and worry about the fate of its characters.
And there's the fact that I had a crush on Kurapika since I was 16.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
For me, it's ones that provide me with a source of good escapist fiction, encourages more imagination and is demonstrated to be made with considerable creative thought behind it. So, the mood, music, all the little character drama CDs and non-canon published stories portrayed in Hunter X Hunter 1999 makes it easier for me to imagine that specific world and worry about the fate of its characters.
And there's the fact that I had a crush on Kurapika since I was 16.

Fair enough.

I prefer whichever follows the manga. Why? Because I really enjoy the manga and like to see it animated.

SHINOBI-03

Reaction score
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Mate I'm not talking to you as if you are an idiot, you yourself are acting in such a way.
Thus far you have been complaining with this arc because it cuts down on GOn, Killua and Leorio moments.
Take one look at Crunchyroll comments section and you will see that the vast majority does not give a shit about this side story and that is the point, it is a side story serving one purpose, to exist as a breather between the serious moments with the main story of Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe.

I for one do not believe there to be a pacing issue at all. This arc has been paced excellently in my opinion and has trimmed a lot of the unnecessary fat, while increasing the important points. This is a story arc not about how Gon and friends eventually get Greed Island, that is a side story, this is the story of when Kurapika tangled with the Phantom Troupe. I dont understand why you are hating on it so much, it makes sense for Madhouse to accentuate the ACTUAL main story of the arc and highlight it. I really do not understand your gripes at all Sticky, it is to the point that I think you just don't like the character of Kurapika for one reason or another and choose to complain whenever he is in the foreground over Gon and friends.
This "side story" is not without a purpose. While the arc centers around the Spiders, they are not the only thing to focus on. We have two sides of main characters and each one have their own mission that will play part in the story. If this story wasn't important then Madhouse would've skipped it completely and jumped straight to the chase. But they didn't because it does play a role for future events. We have a new character that plays an important role and gave important information to be used in future events. It's not mere filler that you can gloss over like it didn't happen.

I much prefer how 2011 has portrayed York New compared to how 1999 did.
In 99 it looks exactly like New York City. This is just wrong. Here is why:
In the manga York New is portrayed as a city surrounded by Desert-ish area.
If anything York New appears in the manga to be more like a mix of Las Vegas and New York.
I feel that 2011 captures that balance perfectly and has thus far represented York New very similar to in the manga.
I consider this a good thing because it makes much more sense.
The 1999 version shows shots of a saturated New York city surrounded by body of water.
This is never seen in the manga and it is shown to be surrounded by desert where Uvo and Kurapika fight.
So it's very inconsistent and I consider it to be a major mistake in the 1999 version.
I came to the realization the portrayal of Yorknew in the 1999 version is not that far off. From where I live, Dubai got a desert in the south and the sea is in the north, and we have some creeks too.

Plus the manga gave us this panel here and it shows it's not just surrounded by deserts and it does have a water way.

Noonealive

Reaction score
Country
United States
This airs at 11:00 A.M or some shit.. People now a days have short attention spans... The last 3 episodes of SAO were lame as hell and for some reason people popped a boner over them...It's just the world we live in today...Gon and Killua are gonna have tons of screen time...Anyways the episode did it's job and entertained people... The manga is a 100x better... so when people buy the volumes they'll get their moneys worth since a lot has been trimmed. =[]

Yeah. Well we're probably getting a bit off topic. So to get back on track...

how do you rate the 99 tv series and ovas?
As entertainment i would rate it as 8/10 but for faithfulness and story direction 4.5/10

The GI OVA's were entertaining but the animation was lacking a little. I would give it 7.8/10....Thats how i see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
[mod=Uriel]You should know better.[/mod]

Half The Sky

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The Spider OVA was pretty good, since it didn't deviate much from the York Shin (1999) style despite the change in directors (correct me if I'm wrong), the first thing that always comes to mind when thinking about those 8 episodes is still Hisoka shouting "BOKU. NO. TAAAAAAGETOO! *pelvic thrust*". I didn't think Hisoka was supposed to be SO OPENLY FLAMBOYANT, and now it's the source of a running joke between me and my friend.

But I disliked the G.I. OVAs, and am looking forward to 2011's rendition of that arc. I didn't like the sloppy animation despite the sudden change in style, more was expected from an OVA. Watching the G.I. OVAs gave me the same discomfort I felt when watching the 2011 series for the first time; I guess I really am nostalgic, I think I might be able to pinpoint the problems if I viewed it again.

...Or Maybe I just hated the arc.

TheBoss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
As i'm letting the anime run to watch the whole yorknew in one sweep I'll only comment on the heaven arena part.
OMG mad house did an awesome job specially in the fights, the pace is a lot better too and less naked hisoka shots are a welcome change lol.
Just my 2 cents to you guys ^^ have trust in Mad cuz they know how to do their job.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Uriel]You should know better.[/mod]
There goes Uriel. Ruining everyone's fun again. :)

---------- Post added September 28, 2012 at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was September 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM ----------

Alright about the 1999 episode with Zepile. One problem in particular I had with it was the placement and background of Zepile's analysis of Gon.

In the manga Zepile and his clients Gon and Killua take the wooden statue to the Auction Preview. Baldy and Dude with a Hilariously Funny Dub Voice
try to make the vault look like a bad deal to drive the prices down. Zepile argues against them to prevent this from happening. After all this happens
Zepile is frustrated and worries that the item will not sell for a good price (for Gon and Killua and himself that is) Gon on the other hand is more
interested in the different doctoring methods. Zepile sees that Gon is just really curious and doesn't care about whether something is "good" or "bad".
Given Gon's goal is to make money for Greed Island you would think he be more upset of Baldy trying to drive down the price but he doesn't.

Now what's the problem with the scene in the 99?

The issue here is that rather than asking Zepile Gon asks Baldy. Sure Gon is still innocent and curious---but here he's just completely naive.
It seems as if Gon in the 99 isn't really grasping that Baldy is trying to defraud his business whereas in the manga that never seemed an issue
and it was more like Gon understood Baldy's intentions but didn't really care about them. Maybe he didn't care either in the 99 but
the way it was presented just was bad. Plus the scene has this annoying "Oh look the 12 year old is making a fool out of the adult".
In the manga however it was pretty clear that Baldy never actually lost his edge but instead drove Zepile into a corner.
But the 99 made it into Gon's "victory" when that wasn't the point. Gon being "clever" wasn't what Togashi was trying to say.
Instead it was that Gon was just happy to learn DESPITE virtually losing.

I have found both the 99 and 2011 version are seriously lacking in the Zepile episodes. The reason for this I suspect
is that these were basically in the minds of the studio---throwaway episodes.

Sure these chapters actually DO matter to the plot.

But as others have said--auctions are boring unless Franklin is shooting people dead.
So they try to jam all of this "boring auction" stuff in one episode and sacrifices
have to made and much of the zest and logic contained in the original manga is lost.

mousiehamster

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I don't see the difference at all, Sticky. And he sure as hell wasn't being clever. It would have to be intentional for him to be clever.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see the difference at all, Sticky. And he sure as hell wasn't being clever. It would have to be intentional for him to be clever.
He wasn't being clever. That's why I wrote "clever". Gon got the best of Baldy in the 99
(without actually trying to do so ) even though no such thing happened in the manga.

In other words Baldy was made to look stupid when he's actually quite clever.

Here is the difference in a nut shell

Manga: Baldy's victory
1999: Gon's victory
2011: Zepile's victory

The manga is the only version where Gon, Killua and Zepile LOSE.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

but now for a serious question which is the more GAR Zoldyck entrance?

2011 or 1999?

My pick is 2011 because it did exactly as I had hoped and more (badass theme and the epic slow motion with like the fiery awesomeness behind them)
but 1999 I have to give credit as well because it had a pretty sweet theme too and the shot with the blimp flying over ahead was just brilliant.

Netero

Reaction score
Country
United States

but now for a serious question which is the more GAR Zoldyck entrance?

2011 or 1999?

My pick is 2011 because it did exactly as I had hoped and more (badass theme and the epic slow motion with like the fiery awesomeness behind them)
but 1999 I have to give credit as well because it had a pretty sweet theme too and the shot with the blimp flying over ahead was just brilliant.
Do you know what episode it was? because I forgot how the 1999 anime handled the Zoldyck's big entrance lol.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

Do you know what episode it was? because I forgot how the 1999 anime handled the Zoldyck's big entrance lol.
I think 58? I'm not sure. It's somewhere around there. I thought the 1999 handled it rather well.

Status
Not open for further replies.