Fun - 1999 vs 2011 Versions | Page 13 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netero

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

I think 58? I'm not sure. It's somewhere around there. I thought the 1999 handled it rather well.
Thanks! man. I just watched the scene, and I thought it was good, and the blimp flying over them was a nice touch.

Netero

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yay! I guessed right!

But now the 64 millionaire dollar question again?

Which is the more GAR? 99 or 2011?
2011. Why? Silva rape-face + epic slow motion walk, and dat Zoldyck theme :hip

Noonealive

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

How do you interpret Kurapika's character during that episode? He seem like he was depressed to me.. haha..

Anyways... The entrance of the 2011 seem better executed...but the 1999 wasn't to far behind.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

How do you interpret Kurapika's character during that episode? He seem like he was depressed to me.. haha..

Anyways... The entrance of the 2011 seem better executed...but the 1999 wasn't to far behind.
Honestly I didn't have any interpretation of Kurapika...He was just there for me. Which I think is fine. I was glad to see the focus on Light and the Zoldycks.

Noonealive

Reaction score
Country
United States

Honestly I didn't have any interpretation of Kurapika...He was just there for me. Which I think is fine. I was glad to see the focus on Light and the Zoldycks.
Are we talking about episode 58 or episode 49? During episode 58 of the old version Kurapika seemed depressed more than tired..Did you interpret it the same way?

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

Are we talking about episode 58 or episode 49? During episode 58 of the old version Kurapika seemed depressed more than tired..Did you interpret it the same way?
Episode 49. Which were you talking about.

Episode 58---I dunno Kurapika seemed to turned into a middle age man with a mid-life crisis or something.

Noonealive

Reaction score
Country
United States

Episode 49. Which were you talking about.

Episode 58---I dunno Kurapika seemed to turned into a middle age man with a mid-life crisis or something.
I was actually talking about episode 58 since you and netero were discussing it. Kurapika didn't even have enough screen time in the 2011 to even make an assumption as that.

Episode 58: Kurapika seems depressed more than tired

Epsiode 49: I didn't see anything that showed that he even fought 2 episodes ago.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

I was actually talking about episode 58 since you and netero were discussing it. Kurapika didn't even have enough screen time in the 2011 to even make an assumption as that.

Episode 58: Kurapika seems depressed more than tired

Epsiode 49: I didn't see anything that showed that he even fought 2 episodes ago.

That makes more sense then.

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland

During episode 58 of the old version Kurapika seemed depressed more than tired..
Yeah, he seemed more depressed than tired especially since:
- he couldn't maintain materialization of his chains
- he barely walked to his room
- he couldn't stand

The "logic" of 2011 fan at it's best.

1999 version made obviously more sense by showing how tiring is the god-mode Kurapica uses. In 2011 version it looked like he can use it without any consequences. As for his prayer later, it's not like much has changed. Uvo was only one of many he wants to kill and it's not like he has suddenly revived some of his clan members by killing him. Of course he won't be jumping with joy.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

- he couldn't stand

1999 version made obviously more sense by showing how tiring is the god-mode Kurapica uses. In 2011 version it looked like he can use it without any consequences. As for his prayer later, it's not like much has changed. Uvo was only one of many he wants to kill and it's not like he has suddenly revived some of his clan members by killing him. Of course he won't be jumping with joy.
lol 1999 logic seems to cloud your judgement as well, since the manga doesn't have Kurapika looking drained either, so you're really not much better than the poster you are trying to ridicule. For you see in the original manga, he was exactly as MH drew him. Admitably I thought the change in 1999 was decent (decent but still unnecessary.), but lets not start calling logic into the question because you would technically lose my good buddy. Just because 1999 decided that they wanted to weaken Kurapika up so that we'd be forced to feel 'daww that was so hard on him', doesn't mean that's how the events actually transpired. MH isn't at fault here, they were following what Togashi had drawn, which is what any good adaption is supposed to do- not go on weird tangents for no discernible reason because the director happens to favor one character over another. If you dislike what they did then you'd have to blame Togashi since he at least apparently didn't feel that Kurapika's 'god-mode' should tire him out.

The prayer is still sort of misplaced, and changes the character from it's original intent along with being yet another example of 1999 trying to force us into feeling a certain way. I don't want to be told how to feel.

Last edited:

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
lol 1999 logic seems to cloud your judgement as well, since the manga doesn't have Kurapika looking drained either
What does it have to do with anything? Read with comprehension please. I've replied to a particular thing Noonealive mentioned about and the fact he was able to discern depression from exhaustion.

lets not start calling logic into the question because you would technically lose
lol
In other words, if in manga something is illogical it becomes logical because everything Togashi writes is logical by default. OK. And I'm devastated that I would lose but I think I'll manage.

Just because 1999 decided that they wanted to weaken Kurapika up so that we'd be forced to feel 'daww that was so hard on him', doesn't mean that's how the events actually transpired.
Again, read with comprehension please. I never said anything like that, where's this coming from?

If you dislike what they did then you'd have to blame Togashi
Who says I'm not blaming him? I've been saying from the start that old anime > manga > new anime and that old anime has actually made the story and characters better (example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5...) and that it's a perfect example of how directing should be handled (while 2011 version is a perfect example how not do it). I've written more about this matter here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showt...me-Fall-2011?p=2783942&viewfull=1#post2783942

MH isn't at fault here, they were following what Togashi had drawn, which is what any good adaption is supposed to do
If you think that way then it doesn't surprise me that you can't see how great director of 1999 version is. Also:

Kit Kat said:
It's kinda sad that no one knows the definition of an adaptation nowadays if it's broken down to something as simple as "this was copied exactly like the source of material" and ignore the direction of the scene altogether. It's equally as sad when the notion of a director putting his/her input into a scene instead of just copyng straight from the source is bashed by fans because "THAT WASN'T HOW IT WAS IN THE _______". So pretty much going by the logic of SHINOBI-03, HybridBloodsZak, and kitten 320 the Naruto is a good because it sticks 1:1 with the manga while the Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVAs are bad because the director decides to do his own thing rather than copy word for word and panel to panel from the manga. Ther's no such as an adaptation that's 100% as the source of material, hell, not even the 2011 HxH is all that faithful to the manga given the plethora of omits (*cough* Kaito *cough*) and other silly edits it's laughable to see fans get relied up over something as silly as a character's behavior which doesn't deviate anything from the scene being adapted or changes anything about the character itself.

Last edited:

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
- he couldn't stand

But 2011 is how it is in the manga. God Mode makes Kurapika wobbly. That's it as far as we know.

Also depressed people aren't exactly "jumpy". Maybe Kurapika actually WAS so tired that he could barely walk to his room or stand
though the manga showed no evidence of that. All we got is wobbliness. Make a phone call. Bury Uvogin. DRIVE. Taking orders from Light.

If Kurapika was so tired he couldn't even stand then I find him being able to drive in that condition to not make much sense at all.

Besides that if Kurapika is just REALLY FRIGGIN TIRED then why is it given so much attention? I mean it's seems like a rather strange thing to put so much focus on Kurapika being tired after the fight especially considering it was a mere foot note in the manga. Also the bleeding moon symbolism doesn't help your case. :/

Also why is Kurapika not being tired after using God Mode "Illogical"? I mean isn't the fact he has SUPER POWERS illogical?

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Kit Kat
It's kinda sad that no one knows the definition of an adaptation nowadays if it's broken down to something as simple as "this was copied exactly like the source of material" and ignore the direction of the scene altogether. It's equally as sad when the notion of a director putting his/her input into a scene instead of just copyng straight from the source is bashed by fans because "THAT WASN'T HOW IT WAS IN THE _______". So pretty much going by the logic of SHINOBI-03, HybridBloodsZak, and kitten 320 the Naruto is a good because it sticks 1:1 with the manga while the Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVAs are bad because the director decides to do his own thing rather than copy word for word and panel to panel from the manga. Ther's no such as an adaptation that's 100% as the source of material, hell, not even the 2011 HxH is all that faithful to the manga given the plethora of omits (*cough* Kaito *cough*) and other silly edits it's laughable to see fans get relied up over something as silly as a character's behavior which doesn't deviate anything from the scene being adapted or changes anything about the character itself.

Nonsense. If something is copied EXACTLY like the source material than it WOULDN'T ignore the "direction" of the scene. It just doesn't follow
the direction YOU want it to follow. Take this most recent episode. In the 99 we get filler with Kurapika being...REALLY TIRED and in the manga
we don't seem until later and he seems fine for the most part. 2011 is the one that is actually following the "direction" of the scene not the 99.
The 99 is the one that decided that we needed to spend some time with Kurapika for whatever reason. Togashi on the other hand decided
to change focus to Gon and Killua and when we got back to Kurapika it was as if nothing happened. We're NOT supposed to think "oh man
what a brutal fight Kurapika has been through" like we do in the 1999 version. At least not if you aim to tell the same story as Togashi.
Yes, it's true that adaptations are never 100%. But they should still resemble the original source material. Otherwise you might as well
film a orange exploding and call it "Pride and Prejudice". So what if it has nothing to do with the original source material aside from the
name? It's just directorial input! Wanting adapted stories to be like their original counterparts should not be seen as "sad".

And actually YES. Naruto anime IS a better adaptation than Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVA given that Naruto anime actually
resembles the Naruto manga. It's the same story with minor minor minor differences...while Kenshin OVA and Kenshin manga are NOTHING alike.
Maybe Kenshin OVA makes for a better film but it doesn't make for a very good adaptation...not if you actually want the same story as the manga.

Change in behavior is huge and hardly "laughable". Do we really want an adapted comic of Darth Vader who's a total wuss?
And I mean a SERIOUS adaptation. Do we want to SERIOUSLY look at Vader as a complete and utter wuss? I hope not!
Vader is a imposing and powerful figure and if you make him a wuss...well it's not really Vader anymore. It's Lamer.
A wussy Vader might work for a PARODY. But an adaptation...No THANK YOU. To say changing a character's behavior
doesn't change the character is beyond stupid. That's like saying if I committed murder that wouldn't change how
I would appear to others. UH...YES IT WOULD! Actions help to define who you are. Would Hisoka be Hisoka
if he didn't KILL people?

SHINOBI-03

Reaction score
-EPISODE 49-

Manga: Chapter 89, 90, first half of 91, part of 92
Nippon’s adaptation: Episode 58, first quarter of 59

Nippon’s episode starts with this scene. And since I made such a controversy the last time, I’ll keep my opinion to myself.

The two spies

As predicted, the assassination of the spider by Silva incident got moved to this episode.

The two Hisokas

The manga and Nippon’s adaptation showed a real spider when Killua was talking about Nobunaga’s and Machi’s style

Nobunaga

The tension

"Act normal"

The first usage for the spider coin in the manga and Madhouse’s adaptation is here. Nippon’s adaptation showed it back in episode 55.

A filler scene of Shalnark and Chrollo in Madhouse’s adaptation

The return of David Bowie Silva and Zeno

Madhouse gives us a spoiler

Killua’s zetsu. Viz’s translation made it sound like Killua is getting invisible

-“He faded right in front of me.” – “Whoa! It’s almost like he turned transparent.”

--

The manga gives us this weird panel. Not sure if those are homeless, but why does it look out of place? Togashi got the answer in his head. We don’t see them in Madhouse’s adaptation, but we see them in Nippon’s.

Viz’s translation for the manga and the anime mentions here that Killua says the shadowing was a game while the CR subs says it was an exercise.

The square. This has been mentioned before, but no harm bringing it up again. Notice the difference in Nippon’s version between the film masters and the animation cel.

Nobunaga’s death stare and the reaction

Killua’s action

Phinks follows Killua’s moves. In Madhouse’s version we see his eyes move in a blurry motion. In Nippon’s version he just stands there and not even moving his eyes.

Killua’s grip

The damage on Killua’s legs

Another Nobunaga close-up

And another one

Phinks’ turn

“Me too?”

In Nippon’s adaptation, there’s a problem… Machi does not recognize Gon despite being present in Hisoka’s match in episode 42. She’s supposed to know him and now that he’s an enhancer and therefore, not their target. The only explanation that I could come up with is she was busy grooming herself that she didn’t pay attention to the match. At the start of episode 59 it appeared like she knew him, but they didn’t expand much about it or didn’t go in full detail of what did catch her attention about him.

This scene is from chapter 92 and Madhouse moved it to earlier (right about the mid of chapter 91). In Nippon’s adaptation this scene is in episode 59.

Here in the manga Killua makes a comment on the Spiders and how they resample his family.

-“Should we even be here?” – “Not that I can talk. These guys aren’t that different from my family.”

The entrance to the Spider lair is different in Madhouses’s adaptation. Instead of a closed area behind a door, it’san open space.

The episode is near excellent. The differences from the manga are merely cosmetic and don’t affect anything. The animation in some instances like walking and Phinks’ eyes and Gon trying to escape before Machi graps him was smooth and the music was fitting the mood. In Nippon’s adaptation I didn’t like the music during the shadowing and didn’t fit what’s mostly an atmosphere full of tension.

9/10

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
[mod=Uriel]Again: What people think or think not, do or do not...it's not business to be dealt here. It's a versus thread. Present your arguments, discuss nicely and avoid ANY ad hominem you can think of. I'll close this thread until I can come up with a good way to deal with this.

Avoid comparing in other threads, please.
[/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.