Seinen - Waters by Urushibara Yuki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Waters by Urushibara Yuki

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Waters (Suiiki)
By: Urushibara Yuki
Genre: Fantasy
Serialized In: Monthly Afternoon
Mangaupdates

The fantasy-themed story centers on a middle school student on the swim team during a mysterious summer vacation.

While training at school during a drought a young girl faints from heat exhaustion. She instantly finds herself in the country side by a cool, clear river. Every time she falls asleep she is drawn deeper into this alternate setting.

New series by the mangaka of Mushishi

Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Re: [NEW] Waters (Suiiki) by Urushibara Yuki

I like this manga so far. Its still kinda plain, but it feels like its gonna get really weird soon.

Just in case some people haven't read it yet ;)
That village Chinami keeps going to is most likely the village the grandmothers keeps talking about/remembering. Maybe when she was given the orb, it froze the decedents of the dragon lady in the village in the same time while the rest of the people there moved on.

Hopefully the next chapter will shed some light on some of this.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Expect Waters to remain slow moving and mysterious. It may take a very long time for Urushibara to unfurl all of the villages secrets. She is not a mangaka who is looking for the grand gesture or intensity. Instead expect her to continue developing the themes of the mystical, folklore, our connection and sometimes adversarial relationship to nature. I love the first two chapters, not as pretty as "the Cage" or "the Light in the Eyelids" chapters of Mushishi but the potential to be is there.

Suiiki strongly reminds me of Igarashi Daisuke's style. It's pretty obvious he is one of Urushibara - sensei's favorite mangaka.

Last edited:

Akiyama

Reaction score
Country
United States

This first chapter was pretty boring but the 2nd was much more interesting. I'm liking the flowing between the two worlds that the main character. I'm wondering if some of the villagers are related to Chinami some how. So far I'm more interested in the backstory of the solider and the girl.
I wish that Mushishi would finish up the scans, I think I could understand this series better if that happened. I'm also getting a Children of Sea vibe with the water theme and swimming stuff. I'm sure with every chapter it's going to get better and better.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Mushishi finishing is a long way off^^
Del Ray will finish this summer.

I'm not sure as they are to worlds; rather the deep connection between the grandmother memories and granddaughter. The granddaughter seeing the near abandoned town may symbolize that the people who once lived there have moved on, even if they remember, there thoughts only occasionally linger. If that made sense.

I'm kind of seeing memory and family connection emerging as the main themes of this series.

Akiyama

Reaction score
Country
United States

^Sent you a PM for a link ;)

Have we figured out a time frame that the other setting is occurring? I'm bad with history. >.<

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

It appears to be the Grandmothers childhood. There has not been a definitive link between the Grandmothers memories and Chinami's dreams yet anyways. Thus far the only thing tying them together is both feature dragon eggs.

Laika

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

Ughhhh, does anyone have the link to the raw for chapter 2 (guessing it's from raw-paradise.) Managed to find an MU of the first chapter, but can't seem to find the second. Would love to read this without having to open up perfect dark or deal with hox's quality.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

the series boasts the tranquill mistique artwork that is seen in mushishi, but this one is over arcing rather than episodic. the flash back in Ch 2 was a sublime part in this manga.i hope we can see this world like thie(ie from 2 views,from Chinami 's eyes and from gannys nostalgia)
when is ch 3 going to get scanned?

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Afternoon comes out on the 25th. It might be a few days after that for scans.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: Waters (Suiiki) by Urushibara Yuki

hey kaiten senpai, any remote chance of adapting this series in to anime?(its damn new so no chance now,but in future?)

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Of course there is a chance. In two or three years. There are only three chapters (yes, raws are out. No, chapter 3 is not scanlated, expect it over the weekend), anime talk is to premature.

Chapter 3 is out!!

Interesting chapter, very slow. This is certainly the memories of the man and child Chinami sees in her dream. If I am not mistaken they are her father and grandfather. I wonder if water is acting as a metaphor for time; the streams and rivers that connect subsequent generations together.

I'm really enjoying having such an intelligent series to look forward to every month. I'm glad Hox picked it up so quickly. Having this and Vinland caught up is nice, I like series that have a lot of symbolism and enough literary content to be pondered for a few weeks.

Last edited:

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

liked the chapter, the art work is an ace still, though the story progression is a bit slow, hope to see Chinami soon, an i am with senpai, the boy is her pater and the guy her grand father, i wonder where is her Grand mother when she dreams that is

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

pfft cant find 4 can any one give me a direct link Plz???

got the 4th chap in Manga fox
so i guess we were right abt sumio being chinami's Father, though i still wonder where is her grandmother when chinami dreams.
Why only suimo and his father are there and y are the ppl leaving , the pace of the manga sped up a bit ,the last page wasnt much conclusive he he i wonder will sumio get a mega spanking after this stunt
Wanna see what happens next. When is the next chap gonna get scanalated?

Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

When is the next chap gonna get scanalated?
Its a monthly series so the next scanned chapter will most likely be in a month. ;)

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

^^ hmm but i dun know when ch 4 got scanalated
when was it ? Mid feb???

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

^Around the end I think. Not sure when Afternoon usually comes out.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

hey water fans ....when is the nest chap coming out ,,i ahve been waiting like eternity.any one has any ideas?

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Hox is looking for an un-watermarked raw. Till then, we wait.