Voting Round 3 - Kingdom vs. Nanatsu no Taizai | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Kingdom vs. Nanatsu no Taizai

Who wins?

• Kingdom

• Nanatsu no Taizai

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Kingdom
Yasuhisa Hara

-

Nanatsu no Taizai
Nakaba Suzuki

Rules

- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Aizen

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Voting for Kingdom without question here. The series has a large cast of characters with sold depth/characterization, meaningful themes about how war affects nations as a whole, and simply put you won't find hardly any manga out there with the war scenes/strategies that Kingdom has. It is a manga that should be talked about more, and its consistency for a weekly is VERY admirable.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Kingdom is a manga about the art of war, with phenomenal strategies and characters with gorgeous background scenery and awesome character designs. It not only juggles war however, but also delves into themes of slavery, greed, time and the ideal state while displaying some extremely impressively written political sub-plots. Its an epic, simply put.

Meanwhile its opponent here is just about the most generic shonen you could possibly read. I mean, demons, goddesses, fairies, knights having terribly boring 1 vs 1 fights with some rather cringy romantic sub-plots that completely ruin many of the characters? Been there done that man.

These lips alone have more interesting lore then the entirety of NNTs story and,

Is the most savage character you will ever see.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Kingdom is a manga about the art of war, with phenomenal strategies and characters with gorgeous background scenery and awesome character designs. It not only juggles war however, but also delves into themes of slavery, greed, time and the ideal state while displaying some extremely impressively written political sub-plots. Its an epic, simply put.

Meanwhile its opponent here is just about the most generic shonen you could possibly read. I mean, demons, goddesses, fairies, knights having terribly boring 1 vs 1 fights with some rather cringy romantic sub-plots that completely ruin many of the characters? Been there done that man.

These lips alone have more interesting lore then the entirety of NNTs story and,

Is the most savage character you will ever see.
:cop It's about time you stop acting as if Seinen was superior to Shounen in every way man . I know the setting of Kingdom and I prefer NNT's. Wars between people is something we see IRL. From what I have read of Kingdom I do think that it's better written than NNT, but manga is not just about that. Entertainment matters, and the hype from NNT's battles is more entertaining than anything I have read in Kingdom. In general, I prefer a fantasy setting compared to more realistic ones.

Plus Kingdom is a historical manga, there is no way Hara doesn't add things but he is using elements of a real story. It's easier to write the plot for series like this in general and the end is more predictable.

Savage characters? :hmph

Last edited:

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
:cop It's about time you stop acting a if Seinen was superior to Shounen in every way man . I know the setting of Kingdom and I prefer NNT's. Wars between people is something we see IRL From what I have read of Kingdom I do think that it's better written than NNT, but manga is not just about that. Entertainment matters, and the hype for NNT's battle is more entertaining than anything I have read in Kingdom. In general, I prefer a fantasy setting compared to more realistic ones.
But they are :datass

But seriously, I think there are plenty of shonen that have merit. I just think there are more seinan that are great then there are shonen, and the most of the shonen that are great usually have a lot of qualities you'd find in seinan (Take Death Note, AoT, HxH, Jojo etc....). The best example I can think of of a shonen that sticks to the tone of shonen but is still brilliant is FMA, however I dont think many shonen even touch that level of writing and attention to detail (including NNT).

Jojo might be my favourite series of all time, and it was a shonen for 6 of its 8 arcs. I'm not being cynical on these shonen for no reason.

Plus Kingdom is a historical manga, there is no way Hara doesn't add things but he is using elements of a real story. It's easier to write the plot for series like this in general and the end is more predictable.
Historical manga are only predictable if you go out of your way to search the source material up, at which point its at your own discretion. However in particular with Kingdom, what sets it apart and makes it one of the most unpredictable mangas out there is the fact that its entirely strategy based that varies heavily with the generals involved, the setting and the opponent. So you never actually know how anything is ever going to go down.

But I mean at the end of the day, its not like NNT or the majority of shonen in general arent predictable. One of shonens biggest drawbacks is in fact the fact that most follow a very similar story and fighting structure. There are exceptions to this rule like HxH, but NNT isnt one of those exceptions. In fact it follows said formula to a T, which is great for fans of the formula but a total turn-off for those that arent.

I think I might actually turn people off if I posted what that man does, trust me, not for the feint of heart. Although I admit Escanor is hype af, easily the best part of NNT.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
But they are :datass

But seriously, I think there are plenty of shonen that have merit. I just think there are more seinan that are great then there are shonen, and the most of the shonen that are great usually have a lot of qualities you'd find in seinan (Take Death Note, AoT, HxH, Jojo etc....). The best example I can think of of a shonen that sticks to the tone of shonen but is still brilliant is FMA, however I dont think many shonen even touch that level of writing and attention to detail (including NNT).

Jojo might be my favourite series of all time, and it was a shonen for 6 of its 8 arcs. I'm not being cynical on these shonen for no reason.

Historical manga are only predictable if you go out of your way to search the source material up, at which point its at your own discretion. However in particular with Kingdom, what sets it apart and makes it one of the most unpredictable mangas out there is the fact that its entirely strategy based that varies heavily with the generals involved, the setting and the opponent. So you never actually know how anything is ever going to go down.

But I mean at the end of the day, its not like NNT or the majority of shonen in general arent predictable. One of shonens biggest drawbacks is in fact the fact that most follow a very similar story and fighting structure. There are exceptions to this rule like HxH, but NNT isnt one of those exceptions. In fact it follows said formula to a T, which is great for fans of the formula but a total turn-off for those that arent.

I think I might actually turn people off if I posted what that man does, trust me, not for the feint of heart. Although I admit Escanor is hype af, easily the best part of NNT.
Please don't. We already know that Kanki wins on the savagery front. Jeeezus :notlikethis

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I feel a little dirty voting because I have never tried Kingdom, but I do know that I very much enjoy Nanatsu no Taizai. It has a really enjoyable cast (overall) and the battles are usually very interesting to watch unfold. It also has very nice art that reminds me of Dragon Ball and a little bit of One Piece, which is a huge bonus. So, Nanatsu no Taizai gets my vote. :)

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no idea which to choose.

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nanatsu no Taizai has a fantastic universe, yes, Kingdom portrays a more realistic scenario of war. But in character depth, i still think Kingdom has showed a deeper level o depicting characteristics from the characters. The strategies as aforementioned are unique for each strategist and I guarantee there are some characters from the "good-guys" side that you will hate more than the acual villains.
It can converge well the idea that in a war, there's no good or bad side, just a dispute between distinc interests.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Kingdom for me.

I am going to support it I already mentioned.

The plot,characterization, strategy everything is much better than NNT.

Though NNT is a good manga still it is nothing like Kingdom.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Voting for NnT here. The theme I've seen from the seinen campaigns so far is that "Seinens are superior in every way" and while I can have a good laugh at that, the elitism also irks me. @Demonspeed made a good rebuttal which wins me over completely.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Kingdom takes this rather easily. NNT fell down after the first arc, and doesn't give nearly as good quality as before. It does have the amazing Escanor in it, but Kingdom has Ouki,Moubu,Kanki,Duke Hyou,Renpa....etc.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
Sorry for being late, this thread was posted near 3AM my time and I've been busy in the day. :p

Anyways, I briefly outlined what Kingdom was about last post.

Kingdom has a really well-written story. While the story is actually structured rather linearly, the different subplots and arcs are set up in an overarching manner. It has a really solid and well laid out plot (and no, I don't mean "plot" although that too is present with https://i.redd.it/3tx412na8gyx.jpg
this hot chick :hurr ) of the conquest of China however it isn't as simple as it sounds.

It tackles a lot of different themes along the way, like the horrors of war, the bonds between friends and family, the nature of man, the passage of time, political tension etc.

On top of that, the characters have a lot of depth and development and are very interesting likeable, especially some like Ouki, Kanki, Renpa etc and each of them feel special and unique (sorry no Ribokui guys @Aizen @The President @Brandish :kappa). Not to mention, even given how huge the whole cast is, each still have a pivotal role to play in the grand scheme of things, for example some like Bihei or En who are generally seen as irrelevant fodder yet still manage to earn the respect of the reader(s) and progress the the plot forward and also tend to have development individually.

Kingdom also has a beautiful setting, it manages to accurately describe how ancient China was and so it's the perfect fit for any history addict.

Not to mention, the battles are really action-packed and well choreographed, many also have tons of emotional weight behind them and usually (even in the cases of its wars) you don't know who to support, it efficiently portrays a moral dilemma (it isn't black or white at all, like @Lady pompom said characters like Kanki who are part of the "good guys" side are utterly despicable people), which I believe is a good thing as it creates more dramatic potential for the narrative although it can be off-putting to some.

Like I said before, the wars also are very complex (and some would argue the best parts of Kingdom, which I don't disagree with) and have a lot of intricate strategies, thought and detail put into them.

Although if you still think that Kingdom is just another "gritty and deep" seinen, keep in mind it also has a lot of hype moments, fun-filled parts and definitely some great comedy (especially when concerning the three individual units aka the Hi Shin Unit, the Gaku Ka Unit and the Gyoku Hou). In fact, I would argue some aspects of it would definitely appeal to the average reader whilst still retaining a sense of depth and maturity. On top of that, it has amazing art for a weekly manga to boot. :p

Some more pics ^-^ :

Spoiler alert :

Trust me...you don't want to know what Kanki really is like. :XD

Last edited:

Static

Reaction score
Country
India

Kay3795

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I guess its time to find out what the fuss is about on Kindgom.... I'll vote for NNT tho.... something about the devil you know being better than the angel you don't know:sweatdrop:sweatdrop:sweatdrop

Status
Not open for further replies.