Hangout - Tournament General Discussion/Hangout Thread | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Tournament General Discussion/Hangout Thread

Nemispelled

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think it's quite as unfair as you're painting it to be. Jellal should be able to use Mystogan's magic because of Rule #5...

Tournament Rules5. Characters
Because the plot is moving forward and certain characters are being developed, they can only be considered as they have been "shown" (pic or text) capable of in the manga, except for the few characters that we have imposed a limit on. Take a look at the spoiler a few steps down.

The reason why it is allowed is because it was shown.

Natsu cannot use Igneel's power because that is not his own MP.

On the other hand, Jellal has to use his magic to make Mystogan's staves work. It wasn't borrowed magic...

Think of it like Jacob's knives. Are we going to ban him from using weapons and just allow him to use CQC?

Not trying to start an argument about this. I'm just here to state my point in accordance with the rules. Besides, at this point, I gave up in arguing who the winner will be. Only time will tell...

Using your MP has nothing to do with it. If the magic is not your own, it's borrowed magic.

Your rule #5 doesn't prove anything as it is referring to magic that belongs to the user.

Without the staves, Jellal cannot use Mystogan's magic. Even though the staves are not MP, they are used as a medium to channel a certain type of magic through.

Jellal should have no access to it because it was given to him temporarily.

Rain Cloud

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think it's quite as unfair as you're painting it to be. Jellal should be able to use Mystogan's magic because of Rule #5...

Tournament Rules5. Characters
Because the plot is moving forward and certain characters are being developed, they can only be considered as they have been "shown" (pic or text) capable of in the manga, except for the few characters that we have imposed a limit on. Take a look at the spoiler a few steps down.

The reason why it is allowed is because it was shown.

Natsu cannot use Igneel's power because that is not his own MP.

On the other hand, Jellal has to use his magic to make Mystogan's staves work. It wasn't borrowed magic...

Think of it like Jacob's knives. Are we going to ban him from using weapons and just allow him to use CQC?

Not trying to start an argument about this. I'm just here to state my point in accordance with the rules. Besides, at this point, I gave up in arguing who the winner will be. Only time will tell...
Well, if we really think about it -- Mystogan does not have any magic power inside his body. So all of his magic came from his staves. Jellal may be able to enhance the magic that comes out of his staves, but if anything he'd have to be wearing his mysto-jellal outfit and imo against Laxus, I feel like that would hinder him more than help.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Using your MP has nothing to do with it. If the magic is not your own, it's borrowed magic.

Your rule #5 doesn't prove anything as it is referring to magic that belongs to the user.

Without the staves, Jellal cannot use Mystogan's magic. Even though the staves are not MP, they are used as a medium to channel a certain type of magic through.

Although (I don't know, I'm assuming) I'm sure there were many disputes about Jellal using mystogan's magic to counter Laxus in some ways, even without mystogan's staves it's a pretty dead heat.

If Laxus won, I don't see any arguments as to why that's not okay. They should have been in the finals imo. Or each taken out by God Serena at the least.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

But that is the flaw in your argument. The magic is his...

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as Mystogan's magic. He has no MP to begin with.

No, Rule #5 clearly applies to this as Jellal was shown to possess the staves.

I am very well aware of your grudge against Jellal, but the fact that you keep using this against him is pretty unfair in my opinion.

Remember that Natsu was allowed to use DF (pure hype) and Laxus is able to use Jutsu Shiki (Freed's Magic). So Jellal being able to use Mystogan's weapons, would just even out the playing field...

Well, if we really think about it -- Mystogan does not have any magic power inside his body. So all of his magic came from his staves. Jellal may be able to enhance the magic that comes out of his staves, but if anything he'd have to be wearing his mysto-jellal outfit and imo against Laxus, I feel like that would hinder him more than help.
I know. Mystogan never had magic to begin with. That is my point. It was his staves.

But the staves already ran out of magic back in the Edolas Arc, so that is proof that the magic isn't from the staves itself. Jellal is not only enhancing it, he is fueling it with his own magic power.

There is the reason why Mystogan's Five Layered Magic Circle: Sacred Song looks different from Jellal's Five Layered Magic Circle: Sacred Song.

Mystogan's Version

In this picture, where did the spell come from? His staves.

Jellal's Version

[/IMG]

Look carefully after Jellal puts the staves in the ground. You can see there is an extra magic circle (purple) where he was channeling his MP into the staves.

Should I compare Mystogan's Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water with Jellal's Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water too?

Mystogan's Version

Jellal's Version

Pay attention to their hand signals. Jellal activates it much faster than Mystogan.

To Everyone: I don't really care to go in depth with this discussion but it's clear that one cannot spin this as Mystogan's magic. When Jellal said he was using borrowed magic, he was talking about copying Mystogan's abilities/spells.

With this, I will repeat again for the last time that it was only borrowed weapons that were used (not Mystogan's MP).

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Honestly deciding between Jellal and Laxus is a bit like splitting hairs, they're too damn close too each other. That should have been the final match IMO.
I had Laxus/Natsu as 1 and 2 (interchangeable), and Jellal 3 for all 32 competitors. The only 2 characters I'd possibly vote over Natsu was Laxus and God Serena. The only character I'd vote over Laxus would be Natsu. For Jellal I'd vote Natsu or Laxus just ahead of him, and possibly God Serena or Wahl.

Rain Cloud

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I will just be putting the results of the vote on God Serena eating flames right here

As we can see, only a very small minority believe that God Serena cannot eat Natsu's flames. More than 80% of those polled disagree with the rulings found in this tournament.

So, again. All Dragon Slayers, God Slayers, and Demon Slayers should be allowed to eat elements of their own slayer types for future tournaments, or at least Dragon Slayers, as that is their basic fundamental ability - consistent for all gens.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
I had Laxus/Natsu as 1 and 2 (interchangeable), and Jellal 3 for all 32 competitors. The only 2 characters I'd possibly vote over Natsu was Laxus and God Serena. The only character I'd vote over Laxus would be Natsu. For Jellal I'd vote Natsu or Laxus just ahead of him, and possibly God Serena or Wahl.
Yeah, personally though the semi-finals would be God Serena vs Jellal and Laxus vs Wahl. I can't wait for the next tournament, my inner Bradman fan is dying to see how the competition handles him.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Bradman? Hmm, not bad : D

My dream battle is Dimaria vs Ultear. I wonder if this could happen tho..
I think DiMaria would probably take it, if she can handle DF Wendy and Sheria then I think she can handle Ultear's balls. :cheez

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Yeah, personally though the semi-finals would be God Serena vs Jellal and Laxus vs Wahl. I can't wait for the next tournament, my inner Bradman fan is dying to see how the competition handles him.
I think had Serena/Wahl gone through we wouldn't have done Laxus v Wahl again.. I mean he already won it in the manga with the sickness. Serena v Jellal would have been pretty tight, Serena's feats are better so it's hard to go Jellal there although I consider him stronger than Serena.

Like I said before Bradman will get Wahl rd 1 and get low diffed :) Would be interesting in the discussion though, physical attacks don't work on him.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
I think had Serena/Wahl gone through we wouldn't have done Laxus v Wahl again.. I mean he already won it in the manga with the sickness. Serena v Jellal would have been pretty tight, Serena's feats are better so it's hard to go Jellal there although I consider him stronger than Serena.

Like I said before Bradman will get Wahl rd 1 and get low diffed :) Would be interesting in the discussion though, physical attacks don't work on him.
I just can't wait for the combined hax of the 9DG, plus he can beat odd cases like Mard through Ice Devil Slayer Magic.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I just can't wait for the combined hax of the 9DG, plus he can beat odd cases like Mard through Ice Devil Slayer Magic.
Restrictions for Bradman coming right up ;) He's got a lot of a hax, but I think a few characters can get around it.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Restrictions for Bradman coming right up ;) He's got a lot of a hax, but I think a few characters can get around it.
Can they get around all of his hax though? :p Bradman has quite a lot of curses.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Well bar Wahl, he's probably going to be tough for all. Erza with Nakagami ftw!!
Couldn't he beat Wahl through weakness? If Wahl tries to make himself immune to something then Bradman can just use another curse. Also Nakagami can leave, Bradman will have either killed her through MBP's, enhancement, Over Skelter, etc. (you get the idea). :p

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Couldn't he beat Wahl through weakness? If Wahl tries to make himself immune to something then Bradman can just use another curse. Also Nakagami can leave, Bradman will have either killed her through MBP's, enhancement, Over Skelter, etc. (you get the idea). :p
Nah Wahl uses the particle canceler to nullify all anti-magic particles and oneshots Bradman.

Erza can tank all attacks and use the ultimate anti-hax which is Nakagami!

These would be fun debates. Bradman would do fairly well against most, though I don't rate him as strong overall as some of the others.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Nah Wahl uses the particle canceler to nullify all anti-magic particles and oneshots Bradman.

Erza can tank all attacks and use the ultimate anti-hax which is Nakagami!

These would be fun debates. Bradman would do fairly well against most, though I don't rate him as strong overall as some of the others.
I just thought of something funny, the battle of speculation: Bradman vs Acnologia. Acnologia can't hit him with physical attacks (that's all he's shown so as per rule 5, that's his feat) and Bradman is made of MBP's so... Bradman low-diffs. :derp

Edit: Nvm, I forgot about the massive thing he blasted Irene with... :devil-mad

Last edited:

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
[com=Holt,lora,normal,normal,normal]For the last two months, we've been running the very first Fairy Tail Fighting Tournament, which has had the purpose of seeing who the strongest mage among the chosen combatants was. 32 of the strongest mages in the Fairy Tail Universe were brought together for this purpose. We've seen tight contests, some upset victories and a whole lot of discussion over who would defeat who in battle, but ultimately the first Tournament's Grand Final was contested by Jellal Fernandes and Natsu Dragneel. Both are powerful mages and had triumphed over strong opponents previously to make it this far in the tournament, but ultimately there could only be one winner in this fight and for the whole tournament. With the Tournament's conclusion, we finally have out champion. Head over to Jellal vs Natsu Finals thread to see the tournament's finest!

Thank you to all the members who participated in this tournament and those who made the tournament possible, and everyone that has contributed in any way to its success. We hope you enjoyed this tournament and will join us next time![/com]

Last edited: