Hangout - Tournament General Discussion/Hangout Thread | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Tournament General Discussion/Hangout Thread

Rain Cloud

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sorry that some people feel that this has become a popularity contest. I appreciate the concern, but I'll respectfully disagree.

I'm going to add my 2cents on some of the things mentioned over the past few pages... I apologise in advance if this comes across as confrontational as that is not my intention.

There is always going to be bias, because we're all human.

It's actually a tough thing to not be bias. Scientists go out of there way to control the bias with their data collection and interpretation. Obviously we're just reading manga here, interpreting Hiro's art/story in our own way. Thus, it is reasonable to expect a wide scope of interpretations.

I believe that a lot of the time the differences in opinions come from interpretation bias or tendency rather than character bias. For example, my interpretation bias is that I generally offensive power and durability/endurance above other things like speed/intelligence/hax etc. However someone else might rate hax or speed a lot better than I do. The same goes for intelligence/strategy, something I believe isn't that important in this manga, but others will disagree. Others might think it's prudent to equate all stats equally. There's not much we can do other than be consistent with our views I guess.

Also, I think some people are possibly mistaking consensus for favoritism. There is a difference between a lot of people thinking the same way and voting for a character because they like them. It's quite possible, and statistically normal, for the majority of people to think one way and a minority think differently. Consensus/groupthink has problems but we're on a forum, this will occur to some extent. And I'm not saying there isn't favouritism, but imo it isn't a huge factor.

Sorry for the ramble. Note that this post isn't about how people should vote or anything, I'm talking about the forum voting/interpretation in a post-hoc way. And there's probably more but that's what I got off the top of my head.

In the end everyone gets one vote, and for whatever reason they vote is up to their judgement and opinion, and thus treated equally. And I welcome anyone who wants to make a comment about how they've seen the tournament progress so far, it would help for future competitions perhaps but it is also interesting to see others views.
This is an excellent post. Covers points very thoroughly and accurately.

Unfortunately I still don't see how it saves things like "God Serena can't eat Natsu's flames even though he's shown to be a flame-type dragon slayer -- even though it is the basic and fundamental ability for a dragon slayer to eat their own element and heck, in some cases, not their element, but God Serena can't do it against Natsu because . . . well because if he could Natsu would lose" like seriously lol

So, maybe next time (if there is a next time), there could be more defining guidelines and criteria when picking your victor? Or even set rules along with the opening post with the character profiles for each individual match-up, with clear descriptions and limitations of each move (e.g. macro).

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
So, maybe next time (if there is a next time), there could be more defining guidelines and criteria when picking your victor? Or even set rules along with the opening post with the character profiles for each individual match-up, with clear descriptions and limitations of each move (e.g. macro).
Well if we defined the rules too heavily then it would restrict people's opinions somewhat, and it's less fun. I'm confident people can make good judgement's based on how they see it.

Limiting spells is something I'm not a huge fan of as it is less representative of how an actual fight would play out. DiMaria and Jacob were restricted this tournament, but their hax magic can arguably solo the tournament. Well I don't think it's that easy, but you can make good arguments that they can. So Age Seal and Transport were omitted in favour of Jacob/DiMaria being totally omitted.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
This might be a bit of a strange question but is Bradman going to be in the next tournament? It would be unfair really due to his hax but I wanted to check out of curiosity. (I'm routing for him if he is #JusticeForBradman)

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
This might be a bit of a strange question but is Bradman going to be in the next tournament? It would be unfair really due to his hax but I wanted to check out of curiosity. (I'm routing for him if he is #JusticeForBradman)
Well assuming there is another tournament I'd say he'd be in it.

But because I don't like Bradman I will be pitching Wahl against him in the first round so that Wahl can cancel Bradman out :) Unfortunately I don't have that level of power :(

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well assuming there is another tournament I'd say he'd be in it.

But because I don't like Bradman I will be pitching Wahl against him in the first round so that Wahl can cancel Bradman out :) Unfortunately I don't have that level of power :(
Wahl vs Bradman? I could get behind that :P
If there was to be another tournament sometime, I'd say we'd see some different spriggans in there, and I think we'd see some different results for fights than what we've seen this time around.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Wahl vs Bradman? I could get behind that :P
If there was to be another tournament sometime, I'd say we'd see some different spriggans in there, and I think we'd see some different results for fights than what we've seen this time around.
Yea if there is another one (I assume so) then we'll have Larcade/Invel too. It might be too hard to include Zeref or Acnologia still :) Possibly even DF Natsu if my assumption is correct.

I agree we'd see some different results. Some would gain much more feats.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Just to remind everyone that both discussion and voting end today at 12.00 PM GMT. Don't forget to cast your vote!

Rain Cloud

Reaction score
Country
United States
God Serena = not enough info, Gildarts = too much hype, the excuses have finally run out! Time to get Natsu out of here. Vote Jellal!

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
God Serena = not enough info, Gildarts = too much hype, the excuses have finally run out! Time to get Natsu out of here. Vote Jellal!
The anti-natsu circlejerk is real :P How about both sides throw some sound reasoning and logic at each other and we'll see how people actually think things will end up instead of doing what you're doing? I think Natsu can beat Jellal in this fight, and I'm more than confident that I'll be able to cut down any arguments for the jelly bean robbing Natsu of his rightful victory in this fight :P

Rain Cloud

Reaction score
Country
United States
The anti-natsu circlejerk is real :P How about both sides throw some sound reasoning and logic at each other and we'll see how people actually think things will end up instead of doing what you're doing? I think Natsu can beat Jellal in this fight, and I'm more than confident that I'll be able to cut down any arguments for the jelly bean robbing Natsu of his rightful victory in this fight :P
To counter this unfounded natsu fanboy-ism. DF Natsu > = Jellal. Too bad he doesn't have DF, it is OVER.

Last edited:

Jellal.S.N

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
@Rain Cloud
I completely agree with your post. I honestly only see Jellal, Laxus and Guildarts as the probable winners but nope, KABOOM! Natsu Beats Guildarts and enters the final. Though Natsu will become the strongest in the future, he's still a tiny notch below these monsters. If this tournament happened later, us Natsu will win, but now I only see it as Jellal(and previously saw it as Laxus)

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
All I can do is smile and laugh haha. Watching people is indeed entertaining. Should I remain neutral? Should I choose Natsu, or Jellal? Either way, it somehow saddens me because this tournament is nearly over. Nice to have argued with you guys!

Other thing that makes me happy is knowing Fairy Tail Award is coming! See you in the event!

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
To counter this unfounded natsu fanboy-ism. DF Natsu > = Jellal. Too bad he doesn't have DF, it is OVER.
Oh dear, this is where I point out that Natsu can indeed use Dragon Force as per the tournament rules and character restrictions. Its always good to read them before commenting.

Rain Cloud

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh dear, this is where I point out that Natsu can indeed use Dragon Force as per the tournament rules and character restrictions. Its always good to read them before commenting.
Still leaning towards =, as stated in my post and going off what current Natsu has shown. Speculation has no weight in discussion And declaring he can use DF half-way through the tournament, but having to leave it "up to our speculations" is already infringing on limitations of certain other characters.

Beefcakes

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It's a shame that Laxus lost, but he fought a good fight! The results were kinda close? Haha. Hopefully, he'll get some more feats in the future to make him stand out more. (Same goes for the other characters in this tournament!)

Congratulations to Jellal and Natsu! May the best wizard win, yeaaaaaah!

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
We all now that Natsu will win there as well even for " Best Female character " :fan:fan
"Best Female Character"?????!!!!! You gotta be kidding :nah

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
"Best Female Character"?????!!!!! You gotta be kidding :nah
Of course I'm on other note if you would add Natsu to that poll you could get surprised that he get xx Votes..
Some people just see poll and names and pick up they favorite despite what is true or what poll is about :)

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
We all now that Natsu will win there as well even for " Best Female character " :fan:fan
Lol I think I've seen some funny fan art with Natsu as a girl dressed like Lucy :)

But we all know Bradish μ of Alvarez will win best female character, with her coat on. Without her coat she stomps.