Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 417 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #24 of 2024 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Pece 1114

• My Hero Academia 422

• Jujutsu Kaisen 259

• Mission: Yozakura Family 225

• Undead Unluck 206

• Me & Roboco 184

• Sakamoto Days 165

• The Elusive Samurai 156

• Witch Watch 155

• Blue Box 148

• Akane Banashi 109

• Kill Blue 52

• Nue's Exorcist 49

• Kagurabachi 32

• Green Green Greens 22

• Ruri Dragon 13

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 13

• Dear Anemone 12

• Astro Royale 4

• Kyokuto Necromance 3

• Psych House 1 - New Series!

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #25 (2024)
Kill Blue (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 1st Anniversary)
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Mission: Yozakura Family
Psych House (Color Page; 2nd Chapter)
SAKAMOTO DAYS
Kyokuto Necromance
Youhei no Hen (Color Page; 47p; Oneshot by Mane Hideaki)
Astro Royale
Jujutsu Kaisen
Akane-banashi (Color Page)
WITCH WATCH
Choujun! Chojo Senpai
Undead Unluck
Me & Roboco
Nue's Exorcist
Kagurabachi
Green Green Greens
Dear Anemone
ONE PIECE (Absent)
The Elusive Samurai (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (2024) - Preview
Cover & LCP: Nue's Exorcist (1st Anniversary)
CP: Blue Box; Choujun! Chojo Senpai; Oneshot by Satoushou Masayoshi
Absent: My Hero Academia

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is not a flop. Astra got an Anime
Probably a gray area situation since they never did say how many copies the manga sold digital or otherwise.

Lower than average WSJ selling series end up with anime all the time (medaka box, undead Unluck, hinomaru zumou) so by sales as compared to average one could debatably say they "flopped".

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

MMA ended too soon. Great cover as always.

Shadow Eliminators is perfect. Loved the shipping implications of having his BF in the Palm of his Hand.

SkullMan

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
Greens Greens Greens doesn't have a green volume cover?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wtf?

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Kenta Shinohara would almost count with Sket Dance - Astra - Witch Watch, but Astra was rejected by Weekly Shonen Jump so it was a flop on Jump+ instead x)
It is not a flop. Astra got an Anime
Yeah, that’s right. And it was a short series by design.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also with the GGG volume cover, is it me or does it look like the copy of the last color page Terasaka did? They look so similar.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
How is Astra a flop? Every character got an arc, the mystery was solved overtime, there's nothing left in the story to tell and it got an anime after it ended.
Shinohara says the sales of the first few volumes were below the standards of Shonen Jump and that he felt sorry for having being so insistent on Astra being serialized at least on Jump+ after getting rejected from Weekly Shonen Jump and standalone volume releases, and that the sales made him feel like the editorial was right for rejecting the series entirely. It only became a bit more popular in its later stages, and after it was done.

And there was a lot left in the story to tell, according to Shinohara, but he cut all of that out to make it smaller for the Jump+, including reducing the character roster (originally he wanted 15 crew members).

I guess you could call it a sleeper hit after the fact, but from the way Shinohara talks about it, the whole affair does not feel like a hit at all. If it was in Jump, it probably would've been axed with 3 volumes at best, maybe even 2.

Bulju

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Also with the GGG volume cover, is it me or does it look like the copy of the last color page Terasaka did? They look so similar.
I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure Terasaka has drawn this exact image at least 3 or 4 times already. Kinda disappointing to be honest.

Oh my god, is he going for a fucking baratoplata? That's amazing.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
And there was a lot left in the story to tell, according to Shinohara, but he cut all of that out to make it smaller for the Jump+, including reducing the character roster (originally he wanted 15 crew members).
but that's not cut because it "flopped" that's cut because he changed platforms. If it was a Takopi level success out the gate he wouldn't have been able to more than double the roster after he already made that call (unless a second ship shows up or something)

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Shinohara says the sales of the first few volumes were below the standards of Shonen Jump and that he felt sorry for having being so insistent on Astra being serialized at least on Jump+ after getting rejected from Weekly Shonen Jump and standalone volume releases, and that the sales made him feel like the editorial was right for rejecting the series entirely. It only became a bit more popular in its later stages, and after it was done.

I guess you could call it a sleeper hit after the fact, but from the way Shinohara talks about it, the whole affair does not feel like a hit at all. If it was in Jump, it probably would've been axed with 3 volumes at best, maybe even 2.
how the first volumes could be below the standards of shonen jump when it was never serialized in there? thats confusing as it never transferred unlike ayakashi triangle, it was always on jump+

i read that since the first chapters and i never was released on wsj so where did this come from lol

pennycryman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tbf, Shinohara just had high standards. He had come off a fairly well selling hit, but his name wasn't exactly massive, so without the exposure he would've gotten on WSJ, the exposure to audiences was minimal since it was on a platforms with its highest selling works being shock series like Fire Punch and Worlds End Harem and continuations or adaptations of already established series like Karada Sagashi and Soul Catcher(S).

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Based Kagurabachi.

I have seen in internet already many people saying they don't like or they hate the series only to give it a proper chance and become fans. That signals for me how good Kagurabachi is being

pennycryman

Reaction score
Country
United States
This was interesting does anyone agree or disagree about this lineup being one of the strongest in wsj
Funny thing is that both of the flops are from 90's vets, Live was from Umezawa of the Hareluya series and Gocchan Desu is from Tsunomaru, the Midori no Makibao author.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
This was interesting does anyone agree or disagree about this lineup being one of the strongest in wsj
Ive only read 5 of those.

Broseph

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t have enough knowledge of Jump history to really know especially older titles but this one in particular is a killer lineup of huge hits that I find hard to top. Not just the manga themselves in this list but the arcs too. Soul Society, Sasuke Retrieval, Water 7, Chimera Ant arc, Death Notes amazing start, and YuGiOhs epic finale. Don’t know enough about the others but there are some big names in there but just these alone is crazy

Only thing in recent memory that feels close is the 2019-2020 period where we had One Piece, Demon Slayer, My Hero, Haikyuu, JJK, Chainsaw Man, Act-Age, Promised Never Land, and Dr Stone running at the same time. That was an amazing time to be a Jump reader

Cerclox

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
No because its missing D.Gray-Man and Reborn that started together soon after the issue posted.
Yu-gi-oh did end but yeah adding D.Gray Man and Reborn to the roster and Jojo was also running for a short time with them, that has to be the strongest lineup Jump ever ever had

Bulju

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Okay, I found this comparison. It's not the same as the last color page, but it is quite literally just a redraw of the original magazine cover, without a jacket.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
At first I thought it meant for the whole year. But if we are talking the 2 months in that post that covered 2004, then it is just a matter of how well they were. For me I do think 2004 was strong. But if we chalk it up, let’s see where they were.

-Kochikame: obvious gag staple.

-Yu-Gi-Oh!: Down to the last 5 chapters before it concluded. So it was somewhat strong until that final arc that went further away from the card game. But since this was the last duel, we should respect it.

-One Piece: This was when the series really got good, cause this was the year when the series went to Water 7. And from what I remembered that was when the crew fought along with the conspiracy.

-Hunter x Hunter: That was when Togashi was starting to show real cracks in his health, and it was nearing the end of the Greed Island arc. But looking at the chapters in question, this was the beginning of the Chimera Ants arc.

-Shaman King: This was when the series was nearing the end before it was cancelled. Because this was the year Shaman King ended.

-The Prince of Tennis: This was where there was consistency before it was starting to have issues. Cause from what I heard here and looking at ToC trends this was where it was starting to not be like how it was in the beginning? But this was before the following year when Konomi was in that motorcycle accident.

-Naruto: This was nearing the climatic fight of Naruto and Sauske at the Final Valley where the story concluded part 1. So this was hyped.

-Black Cat: This was nearing the end as in the final months we were going to conclude in the 180s.

-Bobobobo Bobobo: This was before the following year when OG Bobobo would conclude and then the sequel would come out. But other than that, this was when comedy was at its highest.

-Mr. Fullswing: I haven’t followed it so I don’t know.

-Bleach: When we were near the midway of the Soul Society arc. And the anime was just coming out at that time.

-Ichigo 100%: Was at a good point but something happened as the next year would be the last.

-Eyeshield 21: Was starting to gain popularity and be with the Big 3 at this point.

-Gocchan Desu!!!: It had no future.

-Buso Renkin: This was when it was decent but Watsuki’s health at the time along with his struggles were really started to show.

As for the others that are under 10 chapters that are new at the time 3 of the 4 would become hits in Death Note, GinTama, and Steel Ball Run (before it got transferred to Ultra Jump). While Live! would get cancelled.

So yes, 2024 was strong, but by the end this year and next year there were some others that ended naturally or had a bad falling in the rankings and got cancelled.

shonenblue

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Got caught up on Nue’s Exorcist and Mission: Yozakura Family this past week, and I really enjoy where both series are at. Will be following them weekly from now on along with my regular reads. In the spirit of that, I figured it could be fun to see everyone’s current tierlists since I’m a sucker for those and we have some new posters since the last one!

Here’s the link: https://tiermaker.com/create/weekly-shonen-jump-tier-list-december-2023-16560544

(Like last time, I’ll post mine when I can figure out how lol, tried using several image hosting site links and none of them worked?)