Shounen Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Hmm... I can't think of an case on the spot but there's always a first time, ne? >.>

It's likely because Komi loves this series. The story is in his mind since highschool. Most other mangaka speak ill about their 'first attempts' because they were empty newbie tries but I doubt that he will do that in the future about DArts.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Is there ANY precedent for that? I mean, I've never heard of a manga-ka going back and restarting a successful series after becoming popular. If it's happened before, then I suppose it could be possible.
Well...One I can think of, offhand, is Watsuki Nobuhiro, who has been adding bits and pieces on to Busou Renkin after its cancellation. Then again it's Watsuki Nobuhiro ... but Komi-sensei has the potential to rise to that level.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
it was in the form of one short story after though in the volume. and i suppose the two akamaru jump chapters to finish in style.... sorta stuff i doubt we'd get teh joy of Naoshi doing
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
There've been two BR novels written by Watsuki's girlfriend Kurosaki Kaori too. I think DA definitely would work better as a novel... it seems that Oba was indeed making a pointed reference to Double Arts when the novel-like nature of Double Earths came up in Bakuman... it didn't even really occur to me til I started doing the chapter 1 Edited Manga.:XD

In any case, Komi-sensei seems committed enough to the main theme of Double Arts (he's used it twice already). It's entirely possible that it may even return in some different form.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i think bakuman's made constant hints at things like double arts and asklepios. it's like a mystery manga to solve in itself as to what it's on about XD

and ah Kurosaki, the wonderful person mentioned CONSTANTLY in buso renkin... shoulda thought of that.... well DA visual novels would be nice, and the further they'd go the higher chance of a DA drama or anime in the future......

ah optimism is my shield against the world
 

Neji2112

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
76
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
there have been several times when i read Bakuman that i think instantly of Double Arts. it wouldent suprise me if Oba and Obata know Komi personaly or were fans of Double Arts.

but a novel/picture novel on a level similar to the FMA novels woud be a great idea. with Komi giving the main plot and art, and the other authors filling in the details. and every chapter has sketches and such.

certainly an intriguing idea
 

Meromorphe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
206
Reaction score
14
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
Hmm... I can't think of an case on the spot but there's always a first time, ne? >.>

It's likely because Komi loves this series. The story is in his mind since highschool. Most other mangaka speak ill about their 'first attempts' because they were empty newbie tries but I doubt that he will do that in the future about DArts.
What about the rights of the series? Certainly, Shueisha has some rights on DA and I can't picture them restarting the manga (even in another magazine) or letting another publisher continue the work.
I would vote for it though, because I need badly a heroin whose kindness equals her tragic fate (actually we already know it's good ending for her). I hope in the mangaka's next serialization he will improve his way to tell the story.
 

tehkorean

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I really don't want to sit down and read 64 pages about double arts lol.

Several people have started a petition to keep the manga going. I understand that this might not help at all or it might not even get started again. However it's just like how Elle and Kiri are always never give up. I think we should try our best to keep the manga going. I thought it was very good so please sign the petition thank you.

EDIT: URL removed for it being unnecessary.
 
Last edited:

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Sorry but, there's pretty much no way a thousand or so Western fans who've been getting the series for free and have no actual impact on Jump sales are going to make a difference there. Especially when it's been over for months and Komi's likely moved to other things.

A petition to get it licensed would probably be far more productive.
 
Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
That's a petition by people who don't support the Japanese market at all.

International success is secondary up to irrelevant for Japanese publishers, they say it often enough. I remember this German interview with the head of Studio Pierrot, saying that they don't care how well received one of their anime was in the US and Germany because all that counted was that it's a flop in Japan.

The only thing this petition does is showing Shueisha directly where we get our illegal manga fix (in case that the petition starter really contacts them; the links go to onemanga and mangaupdates, from there easily trackable to mangahelpers and all available group pages). Not that they would care much about non-Japanese leechers but you shouldn't rub fresh meat under a dog's nose, just in case...
 

tehkorean

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
*pains.

To eni and galactic

Thank you for throwing a cold pan of reality =D. Time to now go cry myself to sleep lol jk. Well I can get what you guys are saying. However I think I'll keep my hopes up still. Hopefully the japanese hear our cries.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
I like the idea of trying to get it licensed overseas. Does Tokyopop still run those annual "What would you like us to license next" polls? Granted they're specialists in shojo:XD Alternatively, Chuang Yi in Singapore is releasing some titles in English that US licensors haven't yet, like World Embryo. (granted again their releases can be sold only in Singapore. but where there's a will...;) )
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think that any licensing company is stupid enough to license a series that was canceled after three volumes, if they're stupid enough to license a series that was canceled in the first place. Because those series' got canceled for a reason: they didn't sell well. And if they didn't sell well in Japan, the market they were aimed at, a place with a manga market bigger than that of any other country, then they probably won't sell in the significantly smaller American market. In America, a manga's considered a runaway hit if it sells 50,000 copies per volume. In Japan, it's considered mildly popular, at best.

Odds are, Double Arts would sell MAYBE 2,000 copies in America. Maybe. Probably a lot less. A few English speaking fans who liked ths series and buy domestically or import, a few people who see an interesting series and pick it up (though if they know it was canceled after three volumes, they probably wouldn't pick it up), and that's it. For most manga companies, especially in an economic downturn, and in a shrinking market to boot, licensing a series like that is out of the question. Admittedly, I'm talking about only the American market, there are still the French and German markets (two of the three manga markets in the world bigger than America's, the third obviously being Japan), but I doubt that their licensing companies are stuid enough to do it either.

Oh, and I don't think that Tokyopop has ever had a Jump title. Ever. Viz is jointly owned by Shogakukan and Shueisha, so nearly all Weekly Jump manga (I think actually ALL Jump manga) and all Weekly Sunday manga, mayber even all Shueisha and Shogakukan, is licensed by Viz.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
isn't waq waq only three volumes? punch? series like zombie powder and ral grad were cancelled and ran in four volumes. your point kinda runs out of steam
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Imitorar does have a point that licensing companies are unlikely to pick up a 3-volume cancelled series by an unknown. Zombie Powder and Ral Grad (and hey, Gun Blaze West for that matter) were licensed only by virtue of their manga-ka already having hit titles. However, it's not unknown for short-run cancelled series to be picked up (cf. Soul Rescue by Otomen's Aya Kanno - cancelled after 2 volumes but licensed by Tokyopop, long before Viz got the much more lucrative Otomen licence. ...and frankly, Soul Rescue is so very bad.:sweat).

I'm not privy to Viz/Shueisha's internal licensing shenanigans, but it's open to debate that Shueisha won't turn down good money from another licensor - especially one in a noncompetitive region - if Viz decides not to license a title for translation. (Chuang Yi's got the licence for Slam Dunk, for example, but as I mentioned, their titles can only be sold in Singapore.*wink nudge*)

All this is moot, though, because Komi-sensei NEEDS to have at least a minor hit before any of this can happen. It's worrying that he hasn't had anything published in Jump since Apple last year.
 

Ranael

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why is it that they canceled it? I just finished reading all 23 chapters of "Double Arts" and dammit I want more! It is like a something you just can't have. Having "Double Arts" dropped like that is just further reminder of the cruelty of life. Why Shounen Jump, Why!?
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Ah, Double Arts. The best newcomer in Jump since, I don't know, One Piece or Deathnote. A story fresh and original, heroes, real and interesting, a style, nice and light. And yet it was dropped. Oh, the cruel fate!..

*Silver drops a manly tear*

And what do they put instead? Toriko, you hear me?! Back then, it was a real shock. Hell, aside from its horrible art and lower then average story, I can hate that manga for only taking DA place.
Well, now it's history.

In other news, it is almost, what, a half a year since Apple was published, right? And now, when Neuro has ended, some other mangas near their completion/cancelling, isn't it the right time for Komi Naoshi to bring a new masterpiece to us?
Hey, I can dream, can't I?..
 

Ranael

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Playing the devil's advocate (I always seem to be on the side of the evil:XD) - I think it's finished in the sense that Komi-sensei basically gave away the ending. If he ever does pick it up again, there won't be the same sense of drama or suspense because we know that
Elle, at least, is going to make it. It's a bit morbid but one of the things I did wonder during the series run was whether Elle would survive, since at first she was narrating from somewhere in the middle of the series. Even if Kiri did promise to never let her hand go, she never made that same promise (pledging to fight alongside him is entirely different) - and was always ready to throw her life away for others.

He also took care to wind up the relationship stuff. I'm pleased with how it turned out but at the same time again, there just isn't going to be the same suspense of will they or won't they. Ya know?;)
That's not to say that it's entirely outside the realm of possibility, seeing as One Piece is still going strong despite Oda's own massive spoiler.:XD


Let's see if this thread can hit 1000! :hi5
I disagree with the sentiment that if Double Arts is picked back up that the suspense won't be there.

There is still so much we don't know. Like what is Troy? What causes it? What is the aim of Gazelle? And are we sure that is Elle on page 15 of chapter 23? We don't see here eyes and her face is slightly obscured. There is no denying that it looks like her but we don't know if that is definitely her. She never says that she is Elraine. She does mention earlier that it is our journey but then she says that the story of his, Kiri's journey, will end for now. She no longer refers to herself as part of the journey. It probably is Elle but who knows for sure? It could be a descendant of Kiri and Elraine's and she is writing down the story as she was told it.

Also, we never know what happened to Kiri. All we see is the one girl but Kiri is absent. Is he alive? Were they able to develop a cure for Troy? Well I now have a reason to get rich. Maybe if I get rich enough, I can commission Komi Naoshi to continue "Double Arts."

Hey here is an idea? How about all the fans of Double Arts get together and contact Komi Naoshi himself. If enough people get together and contribute 5 maybe 10 dollars a month, maybe we could raise enough money to collectively commission him to continue Double Arts for us. I know I wouldn't mind spending 5 or 10 dollars a month if it would get me more Double Arts. What does everyone think of that idea?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
double arts is over. get over it and just wait for naoshi's next manga
 

Ranael

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
double arts is over. get over it and just wait for naoshi's next manga
Wait for the next manga, of course I will. Get over it? Never! Not until all my questions are answered because I hate not knowing how something ends. :D
 
Top