Pinoy Hang-Out Thread v. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
didn't know you hated it that much. hip-hop is a great genre, but of course we lived in an era where hip hop just went down the drain. listen to indie and underground hiphop instead paperboy. and francis M is a pioneer of hiphop here. not only his beats but the lyrics and content are great. kaleidoscope world will go down as one of the best OPM songs in history. he'll be remembered forever. RIP
<hr noshade size="1">
which reminds me, he was supposed to perform at the E-heads reunion. and ely and him are making an album together. man this makes me feel down. rest in peace kiko.
For some reason seeing Kiko and ely's name together in a conversation about Kiko's death gives me an ominous feeling. -cross fingers-

Pinoy music is so crap nowadays you can't really help but look back at the artists of old. It's sad when I think that Pinoys are probably the best singers out there.

It's funny also that hip hop is underappreciated here (because frankly it really does suck, much more than American hip hop, and I hate American hip hop or anything hip hop in particular), but Filipinos are apparently good at representing hip hop abroad with the Philippine All Stars and Jabbawockeez.
 
Last edited:

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
@Yonie- I'll pass... Me listening to something I hate might trigger me to kill people.

@Mjhermano- It's easy to blame the Americans for shit music in the Philippines. The lowering of their standards and our people's innate urge to copy them has resulted in tons of shit being released in the media. Shit like emo and hip-hop.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
you know, francis M had soul. that's all i can say. his music was... for the man.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
so many crappy hiphop artists locally... sometimes you listen to the radio, see some no name using a monotonous 1-2 beat and just rapping silly rhymes with no hint of creativity or effort to be creative.. but the few who get the attention are really amazing. there's this iloilo hiphop group, Il Pride, amazing group, and all in dialect, their music gets you going. i can also name glock 9, guy's pretty talented both in rapping and lyrics. but other than that, none, lots of crappy artists with a badass facade but no musical talent. none has ever been on the level of francis M since then.
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
i survived "studying" architecture for 4 years without coffee.. I don't believe in its powers anymore.
<hr noshade size="1">
hey guys. breaking news. Francis Magalona's dead. :o
He was in hospital for quite some time with Leukemia (or something similar) IIRC. I'm guessing because of that.
:o
 

TechnoMagus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
1,970
Reaction score
27
Gender
Hidden
Country
Antarctica
oh come on, only "mga kababayan ko"!?!?! kaleidoscope world IS and should be ranked as our own OPM "Imagine". and please don't make parallelisms with ely....losing john lennon was distressing enough...:s


not much into rap or hiphop too....well i admit glock 9 is talented....the guy can spit out as much words as a court clerk typng the proceedings of a hearing....:XD
 
Last edited:

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
we are comfortable in english.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Pinoy MH is to awkward, IMO. Besides, it'd end up like english words just spelled in filipino like "dyip" for "jeep" -_-;
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
No need for it BB... Our hang-out thread is enough to prove that we don't need any translation required.

Besides, it'd be too confusing seeing as we have Filipino words that are spelt the same as English words, but have a totally different meaning.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
like?

not that i don't know any, well, at the moment, my brain's dead pb.
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
well it's total amp kung magbabasa ka pa ng tagalized manga...

it's (over)9,000x much much worse than watching a tagalog-dubbed anime.

In a more personal note, I found a question in my inbox (on our school's forums):

What Would You Do if you and your crush's soul changed bodies?

I dunno, touch myself? xD
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
@BB- Not much really, very minor things like "hindi" and "Hindi", "malay" with "Malay", "paging" and "paging". I'm just throwing it out there since I'm too lazy to re-translate what I have to read.

@Hunter- I'd avoid doing something stupid, knowing that she's also in my body.
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
oh come on, only "mga kababayan ko"!?!?! kaleidoscope world IS and should be ranked as our own OPM "Imagine". and please don't make parallelisms with ely....losing john lennon was distressing enough...:s
Yeah KW is Kiko's best work, but I figured Kaleidoscope World wasn't as popular in its prime as "Mga Kababayan Ko" was during its.

On localization, let's do it in alibata.

I kid, I kid :P.



EDIT: Ah, Boku to Kanojo no XXX. I was so tempted to download that series (the dorama version) but chose others for hard drive space reasons. I thought it sounded familiar.
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
kaleidoscope is one of the best, but to me, his greatest work would be his tagalog songs. "dapat nang malaman niyo, bilib ako sa kulay ko".... that's just great poetry right there. who can spit out beats and pinoy pride words like him. "meron akong ano, meron akong kuwento!" the lyrics, they're like poetry from olden times. we may not realize it but he single handedly brought the filipino pride to the youth, suddenly kids from everywhere are shouting pinoy pride... he did a revolution that no one was aware of.

by now you guys should realize i'm a big francis m fan huh? i'm so sad really.... :crying check out his blog guys http://francismagalona.multiply.com/
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
hey....~ you guys didn't welcome mj and all...

like, the usual:
1. top 5 current manga
2. top 5 manga of all time
3. school/course/job
4. sexual fantasy (this is a new one, but I like it :nuts)

and the usual intros... blah blah blah. Oh hey guys, I saw janibravo in the FF. I didn't say hi or anything though. I wonder why he never stayed... :s


@yonie, much as I respect Francis M and his works and all, I don't wanna visit a dead guy's multiply site. And I certainly don't wanna see the thousands of people adding him up just because he's dead now :shakefist


speaking of music, i heard bamboo never wrote any song back in the rivermaya days? and I wondered, darn, since I love him and stuff. how about his current bamboo days? does he have the ability to write or what? or is he hoarding a songwriter somewhere?
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
yeah i think so too, rico wrote all the music back when bamboo was still there, but bamboo might have contributed something along the way. rico-ely-chito, holy trinity of pinoy rock. what's great about bamboo is his charisma and delivery, he's like the most charismatic frontman you could put in a band. of course bamboo writes his own songs now, he's really talented, he's obviously influenced by rico. he's pretty jazz oriented, his drummer also plays jazz that's why the drums in bamboo are complex...

what makes me sadder, the fact that there will most likely be a francis M tribute album and bands i don't like will be in it
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
hey....~ you guys didn't welcome mj and all...

like, the usual:
1. top 5 current manga
2. top 5 manga of all time
3. school/course/job
4. sexual fantasy (this is a new one, but I like it :nuts)

and the usual intros... blah blah blah. Oh hey guys, I saw janibravo in the FF. I didn't say hi or anything though. I wonder why he never stayed... :s
Thanks :P. I lurked for awhile, but never been active til recently, when I've been trying my hand at translations. And I still suck at it, but hopefully I'll get it down pat with enough practice.

1. I only do mainstream shounen currently, because I have too many interests to have the time for anything extra or serious :P. Anyway, my downloads right now are Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, DGM (yay, it's back!), Fairy Tail, FMA, and Hunter X Hunter.

2. Favorite manga of all time? I can't really give 5 since my manga experience is quite limited, and I can't judge ongoing series yet, but the two that will definitely be on the top so far would be Rurouni Kenshin and Death Note.

3. I'm an OSY (except for the youth part) :P. I've been out of school for more than 4 years now. Never graduated. I took Mechanical Engineering in UPD before having to shift out 42 units short of graduating because of poor grades and conflicts with the professors and was invited to shift to BS Math, took some units, but I never fully shifted and eventually quit school because of sickness. I'm probably the only Oblation scholar never to graduate, heh. I worked at a call center for a year, got promoted to a well paid job, but had to quit after 3 years working because of sickness again. I've been stuck at home for the past year trying to recuperate. It's not easy to find decent work-from-home jobs in this country.

4. The tricycle, as usual. I'm not in a hurry, though.

So, with all this time at home stuck what do I do? I've self-studied some Japanese, know a whole slew of programming languages, watch American shows, anime, and the occasional dorama/Korean drama, and polishing my database design skills so that if I do get back to health I won't be rusty.

EDIT: Oh, and just in case, I'm male. :D. I had trouble when I was an agent with people calling me "Ma'am" because my nick was MJ.


Freakishly long intro :D. How about you? I guess yoniekai is from Iloilo or Cebu? Mga ginikanan ko sa Iloilo naga-tinir.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
what makes me sadder, the fact that there will most likely be a francis M tribute album and bands i don't like will be in it
don't give them ideas. -_-;

3. I'm an OSY (except for the youth part) :P. I've been out of school for more than 4 years now. Never graduated. I took Mechanical Engineering in UPD before having to shift out 42 units short of graduating because of poor grades and conflicts with the professors and was invited to shift to BS Math, took some units, but I never fully shifted and eventually quit school because of sickness. I'm probably the only Oblation scholar never to graduate, heh. I worked at a call center for a year, got promoted to a well paid job, but had to quit after 3 years working because of sickness again. I've been stuck at home for the past year trying to recuperate. It's not easy to find decent work-from-home jobs in this country.
ooh interesting. ^^ an oble scholar to boot! I'm from UPD too but i'm studying culinary now hehe. But you got into a call center knowing you had a condition? it's bad for your health and everything -_-;

i know a friend who's doing editing and essays for other people who aren't so proficient in english (or else, just lazy students who ask others to do their thesis/dissertations for them) and the good thing is, you get to pick the projects you want. I wanna try it out too. i think it's essaywriters.net or something.

I noticed you didn't post your age. how old are you? hehe. may mga kilala ako sa mech eng... at nag kalai ako, baka batchmate tayo :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top