Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I can't really picture Bakuman getting an anime, hmmm :3

As for Toriko, I tried it a while ago again and... just no. I'm completely out of idea how that one is able to appeal to anyone. This must be a 'target group' mystery that someone like me, who's not even remotely close to the wsj audience, just can't grasp at all >.>

I'll try Sket Dance again. Can't even remember why I dropped it but I think it was a lack of releases, not the story *think*
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
lack of releases...i hope that gets solved soon. Though, Sket Dance could probably become the next Gintama, as the general premise is similar and assuming Gintama ends within the next season. Bakuman I can see as an anime but they'll have to pace it differently. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Sket Dance gets an initial OVA (like Gintama did).
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can't really picture Bakuman getting an anime, hmmm :3

As for Toriko, I tried it a while ago again and... just no. I'm completely out of idea how that one is able to appeal to anyone. This must be a 'target group' mystery that someone like me, who's not even remotely close to the wsj audience, just can't grasp at all >.>

I'll try Sket Dance again. Can't even remember why I dropped it but I think it was a lack of releases, not the story *think*
I couldn't imagine Hikaru no go having an anime either. Oh wait...
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Hm, nah... I don't find Bakuman and HnG much comparable aside from the drawing style. The whole story flow feels different. Don't forget that they don't even have the same writer >.>
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
also bakuman is about the manga industry. it wouldn't function competently as an anime
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I can't really picture Bakuman getting an anime, hmmm :3
Bakuman would work better as a drama IMO.

Jump Comics volume sales 3/3 - 3/9

1. One Piece #53 (1,194,145 copies)
2. Bakuman #2 (228,056)
4. Eyeshield 21 #34 (161,988)
5. Steel Ball Run #17 (135,583)(Ultra Jump, former WSJ title)
9. Shaman King Deluxe #26 (62,348)
11. Sket Dance #7 (51,716)
14. Shaman King Deluxe #25 (47,092)
18. Psyren #5 (41,351)

3/10 - 3/16

2. One Piece #53 (281,882/1,476,027 total)
7. Bakuman #2 (62947/291,003)
10. Eyeshield 21 #34 (50,832/212,820)
12. Steel Ball Run #17 (48,200/183,783)

For some reason Oricon didn't update last week but posted two weeks worth of sales today. Bakuman did exactly what I thought it would do: pass Eyeshield to move right below the Gintama/Reborn/D. Gray Man tier. With a 50% increase over volume 1 I expect Bakuman to grow enough to join that tier by volume 4, but never pass them. I doubt it will ever reach Bleach and Hunter x Hunter's level of popularity. Despite it's drop to the bottom of the TOC Eyeshield is selling just as well as ever, gaining slightly over the last volume. Sadly Sket and Psyren's new volumes did quite poorly. Both sold identical to their last volumes and as they are sub 100,000 sellers this does not bode well for long term success.
 

sweetfaerie

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
11
Gender
Female
Country
United States

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Olala, I see the Bleach fanboys jumping >.>

Nice one for Bleach and for Reborn as well. Both totally unrelated to the plot, but who cares -_-;

Kaiten.Sama said:
Bakuman would work better as a drama IMO.
Ah, yes. That would indeed work well. Btw, was there ever a drama for a Jump series?
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Even though I don't give a shit about the Vongola bikes I do like the coloring of Tsuna on it.

Matsumoto eye candy isn't bad either. >.>
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Olala, I see the Bleach fanboys jumping >.>

Nice one for Bleach and for Reborn as well. Both totally unrelated to the plot, but who cares -_-;


Ah, yes. That would indeed work well. Btw, was there ever a drama for a Jump series?
ROOKIES for one. popular one too. got massive ratings for the finale.

actually one of the best dramas i've ever seen. check it out
 

VASSiLi

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2007
Messages
2,479
Reaction score
4,011
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Someone has Jump's #14-#15 cover?
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Hmmm... I do wonder what people's criteria are for qualifying a serie as a drama. But imo Death Note was a drama too if you ask me, Thriller + Drama.

You do know drama isn't always meant to awaken sad feelings (biggest misunderstanding). Whereas action is meant to place events in a central position, Drama is meant to place character development in a central position thus it can also be used as a genre that is intended to create a feeling among its reader which makes them identifying with a character

So I certainly count bakuman as a current jump drama serie
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
We were referring to live action TV series (JDrama). I personally think Bakuman would work better in that format then animated.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
We were referring to live action TV series (JDrama). I personally think Bakuman would work better in that format then animated.
So what you personally say, is that drama (manga) can't be animated into a anime? Sorry I twist your words, lemme redefine: live action would have more active character involvement towards you? Well death note's anime proofed it can. I really think bakuman can be very good when being animated. Even better than the manga :)
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
So what you personally say, is that drama (manga) can't be animated into a anime? Sorry I twist your words, lemme redefine: live action would have more active character involvement towards you? Well death note's anime proofed it can. I really think bakuman can be very good when being animated. Even better than the manga :)
Don't forget Death Note had three movies with live actors, the first two at least being quite good. I haven't seen the third yet. It's not that Bakuman wouldn't be good animated; it could be great. But after seeing other recent shonen adapted into JDrama I think the format would work really well for Bakuman. And of course a drama would boost Bakuman's popularity; drama's tend to go on TV later then anime, garnering the series (and Jump) a larger audience among adults.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well I think somehow, whether or not it has to do with it's low rankings as of late (and the talk of "rankings not mattering cause of it's different audience pull), that the WSJ people have finally caught on that To-Love is low enough that it could be eligible for cutting. The buyline at the end of this week's chapter mentions the "ultimate and most evil trouble", which while it could just be typical Jump hype, is in my head a possibility that To-Love may be entering a "final arc" at this time and could be out of WSJ in the next few weeks, maybe even at the same time as Neuro. (which possibly is approaching the end of it's ultimate battle)

I can't say if or how this will affect the magazine, particularly cause we don't know how Beezlebub and Hoop Men are doing...and how many new series could be coming in the next set of releases, but I wouldn't be surprised if both Neuro and To-Love are cut in the next rounds, helping out those that could definately use a bit more time to grow or just to get established. (both new stuff like Kuroko or Bokke...or slightly older and on the edge like Sket or Psyren)
 

Rock-a-Dillo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
hmmm Bakuman being a Drama??
i imagine the director would make tons more of MashiroxAzuki thing to fill the eps.
cauuse Bakuman's Story pace is really fast.
i mean in a single Chapter it could past months in the manga..

P.s: at the KHR CP, i think i prefer if there was only the Motorcycle, the Tsuna is just :darn
IMO
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
hmmm Bakuman being a Drama??
i imagine the director would make tons more of MashiroxAzuki thing to fill the eps.
cauuse Bakuman's Story pace is really fast.
i mean in a single Chapter it could past months in the manga..
I thought the same thing, though if they had an anime, would have many chances for filler episodes because of the quick pace of the manga. But it doesn't mean they have to, unless they really want to bludgen us with randomness.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top