Discussion The Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
What? the amount of games doesn't matter, its the quality, Torres shouldn't be in it because he hasn't played huge amounts of games... :eyeroll

Your logic is pretty flawed, it seems someone who plays every match for West Brom must be better than a talented youngster who gets a few matches and appearances for a big team, with world class players. :eyeroll
How can you judge the quality if they dont play that many games? Anybody can have a few good games. The winner should be someone who has been consistently good over the course of the season. Just look at the last four winners of the young player of the year
Fabregas
Ronaldo
Rooney
Rooney

They were ALL amazing in those seasons, and they played huge parts in their teams performances. The impact they had for their clubs was immense, can the same be said of evans or rafael? It can be said for the others, ireland is city's top scorer and easily, easily their best player this season by a country mile. Young and agbonlahor have been excellent for villa and they are one of the main reasons why villa is challenging for 4th. I dont watch spurs matches a lot, but what from the spurs supporters say the same can be applied to lennon. The shortlist should have included more of such players.

A talented youngster who doesnt play much doesnt deserve to win the young player of the year. Its as simple as that. And if there is a youngster who plays consistently excellent for west brom they deserve to be ahead of someone who has had a couple of substitute appearances and league starts for a big club. The award should not have a big club bias. And the award is not an award of who is the better player, but who is the better player that season.
 
Last edited:

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
280
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
What? the amount of games doesn't matter, its the quality, Torres shouldn't be in it because he hasn't played huge amounts of games... :eyeroll

Your logic is pretty flawed, it seems someone who plays every match for West Brom must be better than a talented youngster who gets a few matches and appearances for a big team, with world class players. :eyeroll
How can you judge the quality if they dont play that many games? Anybody can have a few good games. The winner should be someone who has been consistently good over the course of the season. Just look at the last four winners of the young player of the year
Fabregas
Ronaldo
Rooney
Rooney

They were ALL amazing in those seasons, and they played huge parts in their teams performances. The impact they had for their clubs was immense, can the same be said of evans or rafael? It can be said for the others, ireland is city's top scorer and easily, easily their best player this season by a country mile. Young and agbonlahor have been excellent for villa and they are one of the main reasons why villa is challenging for 4th. I dont watch spurs matches a lot, but what from the spurs supporters say the same can be applied to lennon. The shortlist should have included more of such players.

A talented youngster who doesnt play much doesnt deserve to win the young player of the year. Its as simple as that. And if there is a youngster who plays consistently excellent for west brom they deserve to be ahead of someone who has had a couple of substitute appearances and league starts for a big club. The award should not have a big club bias. And the award is not an award of who is the better player, but who is the better player that season.
I've gotta agree with Imperium on this one. A youngster who puts in two or three good displays against weak or tired opposition shouldn't be chosen ahead of someone from West Brom or Stoke whose been slogging their guts out all season come rain or shine. That's why Wes Brown kept getting chosen for England thanks to Sven's love affair with the big 4.

One of the things I hated about the advent of the premiership is this infatuation with the big clubs. Years ago the choice of Player of the year would have had more variety. This year? 5 players from one side? What about Lampard? Gareth Barry? Danny Murphy? Totally ignored. Great incentive to young players when deciding what club they want to go to.

I'm glad Berebatov didn't make the list. I had to laugh. He played better at Spurs even if it looked like he didn't give a f***.
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Rafael has played 9 games, he would have played more yet he's gotten injured, and if he didn't I could easily see him getting into the 1st team ahead of Neville, the wya that Nev has been playing recently.

thsv said:
A youngster who puts in two or three good displays against weak or tired opposition
Rafael played against Arsenal and scored, he also had Robinho in check against City, though that might not be a big achievement anymore.

And from what I recall Evans also played against at least one of the big teams, I think it might have been against Chelsea, but he's certainly played against tough opposition, those that are in the top 8 in EPL.
 
Last edited:

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Well I agree with Imperium with some nominees. Lampard and Torres should have been included, amongst others, but I dont see the current nominees that bad of a choice. Giggs had a period in this season where he was playing Very good, so its understandable. Van der Saar has been sensational, and I think its fair to put him there, just as it would have been fair to put Cech 3 seasons ago. The nomination of Ronaldo was funny... he's almost invisible imo.

Although Rafael and Evans are nominees for the youngster of the year, I dont think there's much hope for them to win it. I dont watch the premier league enough to notice every young prodigy in there, but for what I've seen its granted that Ashley Young will win it.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
I think Stephen Ireland might win it.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Well I agree with Imperium with some nominees. Lampard and Torres should have been included, amongst others, but I dont see the current nominees that bad of a choice. Giggs had a period in this season where he was playing Very good, so its understandable. Van der Saar has been sensational, and I think its fair to put him there, just as it would have been fair to put Cech 3 seasons ago. The nomination of Ronaldo was funny... he's almost invisible imo.
Giggs did have a period were he was good, but the thing is he doesnt deserve to be nominated ahead of players who were good throughout the whole season. And the nomination i think has to do a lot with the press over here, who got very excited after he scored that goal against west ham. -___- And the van der sar thing....his inclusion seriously puzzles me because he's the least troubled keeper in the league :bored

Although Rafael and Evans are nominees for the youngster of the year, I dont think there's much hope for them to win it. I dont watch the premier league enough to notice every young prodigy in there, but for what I've seen its granted that Ashley Young will win it.
I think its a straight race between young and ireland. With maybe lennon if he steps up another gear before the votes are counted. Ireland i think should win it, the guy is amazing.

Anyway, i would speak about the CL, but today's matches dont really seem as interesting and delicately poised as the matches tomorrow. Can liverpool score 3? Can bayern score 4? meh, very unlikely...but im just hoping they either score at least one or two before half-time to make things interesting. ^^;
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
I wouldn't count Liverpool out just yet, an early goal by Torres and you never know. Plus Chelsea conceded 3 goals against Bolton in the weekend.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Hahaha, they actually put out a strong team. No henry though, so keita comes in and iniesta goes on the wings i suppose. And liverpool have no gerrard....
 

kaliayev

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
951
Reaction score
89
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Liverpool deserved that game. Was that Cech's worst performance, or am I forgetting a national game that was even worse?
 

Saintz0r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
192
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Seriously, what a game :XD
Reina and Cech were trying to see who could do the biggest FAIL in the game. I'll vote for Cech's since it was funny to see him chasing the ball lol
Lucas playing in Gerrard's position ( more or less ) was disapointing, he almost disappeared from the game. When he came to play in Mascherano's though it was much better :P

Looking forward to tomorrow's matches, I just don't know yet which I'll watch :XD
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Omg... L'pool almost did it! I changed to Bayern-Barça when Chelsea got the lead 3-2 as I said 'its over', but when I changed back it was 3-4! I wanted Liverpool to face Barça... but it was a stunning match

@Saintz0r
Watch Porto! Our players will put up a show even if it costs them their lives. Game of one's life, when you have the chance to eliminate the european champion :P
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
I think Man Utd will return to their best and beat Porto in unbelievable style.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Liverpool was inspirational, I was right to put my faith in them. Unfortunately, Gerrard did not play, and Lampard did.. so the superstar made the difference in the end.

I'm sad but not disappointed, Liverpool did the best they could, I just wish Torres could have done a little more.
Now I can just hope Porto is on a good night.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
lol, that match was amazing, i kept getting text messages from my brother while i was at work; every goal,minute and scorer...after it got to 3-2 to Chelsea i thought he was playing with my head but then i get home and see the final score!!! F me!!!

great match spectator-wise, but poor goalkeeping on both sides especially petr cech who did not seem confident the whole game...
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Liverpool was inspirational, I was right to put my faith in them. Unfortunately, Gerrard did not play, and Lampard did.. so the superstar made the difference in the end.

I'm sad but not disappointed, Liverpool did the best they could, I just wish Torres could have done a little more.
Now I can just hope Porto is on a good night.

But to be fair Terry was missing, so it balanced out, I would say Terry is Chelsea's most important player.
 

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Kukuku, Lioshow Messi will twist the backbones of Chelsea's players.

I can hardly wait to see it.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
B ready, Ronaldo will return and own PORTO's defenses.
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I may be wrong, but its Ronaldo I'm least concerned with... he only likes to score to Sporting CP :P

Also, I think Rooney and Tevez are United's main threats atm. Ronaldo and Giggs arent in form (in comparison to their 'normal' form) but, on the other side, Porto's Rodriguez and Hulk are in top form.

I expect a game where Man U will attack as usual and we'll try and use our good counter attack as main weapon. We wont park the bus on front of our goalkeeper, but we wont have to take the game forcefully to the opposing midfield as long as the result is favorable.

*starts the praying ritual :worship2 *
 

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
280
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Rafael has played 9 games, he would have played more yet he's gotten injured, and if he didn't I could easily see him getting into the 1st team ahead of Neville, the wya that Nev has been playing recently.



Rafael played against Arsenal and scored, he also had Robinho in check against City, though that might not be a big achievement anymore.

And from what I recall Evans also played against at least one of the big teams, I think it might have been against Chelsea, but he's certainly played against tough opposition, those that are in the top 8 in EPL.
You're taking my comment too literally. My point is unless the youngster is playing week in, week out why get picked above someone putting in good performances with a weaker side. Rafeal doesn't qualify for a Premiership winners medal if he doesn't play again this season by the way.

Chelsea vs Liverpool was excellent last night. Almost as good as Arsenal vs Spurs last October.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top