Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

May I ask you something different on another level: did you expect bakuman, toriko and beelzebub to be a top serie?
Top? On the level of One Piece's popularity? Nope, none of them.

I don't like any of the three out of personal preference, so it's hard to say for me how they'll appeal to the target group. I'm a (soon) 29 years old mother of two kids after all, far from Jump's usual audience.

My judgment from the first few chapters was and still is:
Bakuman - nice art, warmed up idea but nicely outline, average storytelling, unrealistic characters (which is only bad because the manga somehow tries to be realistic to some extend)
Toriko - terrible art, half-original idea but average cliche-dripping storytelling, warmed-up characters
Beelzebub - average art, half-original idea but warmed-up storytelling and characters

I have a huge dejavue feeling for all of them. They just feel patchworked to me most of the time. None of these three is worth wasting my precious reading spots, so not going to pick them up again. But as said, I'm not the target audience for those series, so there's no use in debating this out with me.
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Mx0's sales was decent, but not as good as ToLoveRu in any way...
Let's take Volume 10 of both for instance:

Oricon First Week:
*3 -- *,154,677 *,154,677 *1 7 To LOVEる-とらぶる 10
*6 -- *,*97,460 *,*97,460 *1 7 エム×ゼロ 10

Oricon Second Week:
25 *3 *,*35,024 *,189,701 *2 - To LOVEる 10
42 *6 *21,013 *,118,473 *2 エム×ゼロ 10

Oricon Fourth Week:
81 40 *11,347 *,192,179 *4 To LOVEる-とらぶる- 11
Mx0 outside 100.
It's safe to say that ToLoveRu was selling twice as much as Mx0 when it ended.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I stand by the fact that medaka can manage to not please people with it's story as much as it likes, AA's art alone makes it great to me
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It didn't catch my interest at all but I think it does have potential to catch on with the Japanese fandom.

I could see Medaka being a pretty popular character.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Mx0 should make every Psyren and Mago fans very, very nervous. Mx0 sold better then Psyren, and despite the yo - yoing, polled better too. Mago sells about the same but polls worse.
 
Last edited:

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Other than that, I hope Naruto ends in '09 or '10 and Bleach will do the same. Something old got to clear the way... And HxH and DGM should start to make switch-publishing >.> 10chapters of one, 10chapters of the other <.<
Amen, and better Hunter X Hunter and D. Gray-man than Hunter X Hunter and One Piece...
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Mx0 should make every Psyren and Mago fans very, very nervous. Mx0 sold better then Psyren, and despite the yo - yoing, polled better too. Mago sells about the same but polls worse.
I'm not that worried about Mago... I mean it manages to stay in top 100 for Oricon in week 3:

53 10 *14,179 *,143,905 *3 ぬらりひょんの孫 4
And already, it's selling better than Mx0 at volume 4.
Psyren, however, is indeed a bit worrisome:

Oricon Week 2:

80 18 *11,134 *,*52,485 *2 PSYREN-サイレン- 5
It's very unfortunate... since I enjoy Psyren a lot more than Mago :p
Of course, we can always hope that Shueisha would treat Psyren as the new Neuro (lol)...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I'm not that worried about Mago... I mean it manages to stay in top 100 for Oricon in week 3:
Out of curiosity: I can't find a link on Oricon's page to see anything charting under 30. Where can I go to see the full top 100?
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It's mainly from postings at 2ch (I think it's paid info for additional rankings... kind of like Nielsen's TV ratings).

Here's a compliation archive, but they've only started with early 2008 rankings

http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/music/3914/1105682256/
 

Succubus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
580
Reaction score
565
Gender
Male
Country
Genosha
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I realized that I missed Issue 10 Jump Cover HQ in my folder >.<.. anybody can upload this cover for me, please?

thanks in advance
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

In spite of my skepticism Akaboshi was really good!! A welcome addition, it looks like it will be far from generic action.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ah, more news from Ko-neta:

230 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/05/20(水) 00:08:59 ID:1c+4EbCQ0
読切のメンツ書いてなかった…
古館春一、岩本直輝、春日真、土田健太

確かこの順

The order of the 4 other 1-shot's after Matsumoto Naoya's:
2009-28 Furutachi Shunichi
2009-29 Iwamoto Naoki
2009-30 Kasuga Shin
2009-31 Tsuchida Kenta

*Note: I have no clue if I have the pronouciation of the names 100% correct... I'm never good with Japanese names.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

do we have toc up yet?

eh i'mma post it anyway and risk looking the fool

#26 (25/05) :
Belzeebub (Pages Couleurs)
One Piece
Natuto (Couv)
Akaboshi (29p & Pages Couleurs)
Bleach
Toriko
Psyren (23p)
Medaka Box (25p)
Reborn
Gintama
Inumaru
Bakuman
Kuroko no Basket (25p & Pages Couleurs)
Kochi
Sket
Es21
Nurarihyon
ToLove
Hoop
Jaguar

#27 (01/06) :
Kochi (Couv & Pc) + Annonce Importante
Inumaru (Pc)
Matsumoto Naoya (Oneshot)
Akaboshi (25p)
Oneshot dans 5 n° consécutifs

#28 (08/06) :
Furudate Haruichi (Oneshot)

#29 (15/06) :
Iwamoto Naoki (Oneshot)

#30 (22/06) :
Kasuga Makoto (Oneshot)

#30 (22/06) :
Tsuchida Kenta (Oneshot)

Numbered ranking for this issue:

1 One Piece
2 Naruto
3 Bleach
4 Toriko
5 Psyren
6 Reborn
7 Gintama
8 Inumaru
9 Bakuman
10 Sket
11 Es21
12 Mago
13 To Love
14 Hoop

so.... not sure if psyren is ranked because... wow. and extra pages of course
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

*koenosaki looks away* :oh hey, fxu, What's up. Just the same day as usual, no?

*koenosaki looks to the table*
If that's psyren's real ranking: HELL YEAH, HELL YEAH, my predictions are getting slightly better. After the kabuto jumped in chapter, I expected psyren to be higher (we were talking about fangasm).

Well let's hope this is psyren's real ranking, nice to see it beating reborn once. Now I hope we'll get confirmation


btw, noodles: there's two one shots in the same issue?
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

according to raw paradise. might be a slip up on their part.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Was going to post the ToC, but the forum was playing tricks on me (kept going link dead), so... I went to bed :p
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I don't consider extra pages and CP the same thing...but then again, by saying that I immediately have trust that Psyren really is below "the big 4". Not too much more to say this week...except somehow I have no clue what the KochiKame announcement will be.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well, last year, we had several (well, two or three iirc) issues with two chapters of Yuushagaku, occupying different positions. We didn't really discount the higher one by saying it's got two chapters though. So I'd say same rule applys, that Psyren is just that good :p





Some interesting stuff to post:

This is the list of "Most interesting manga series currently, best 30" from the radio show "School of Lock!". The list is Teenager oriented.

168 名前: 名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい [sage] 投稿日: 2009/05/20(水) 10:35:05 ID:rYNWPT0b0
「SCHOOL OF LOCK!」というラジオ番組で行われた、
「今一番面白い漫画ベスト30」の結果を貼ってみる
ちなみにこの番組は青少年(ゆとり世代)のリスナーが多いと補足しておく

1位 鋼の錬金術師 荒川弘
2位 ONE PIECE 尾田栄一郎
3位 銀魂 空知 英秋
4位 君に届け 椎名軽穂
5位 聖☆おにいさん 中村光
6位 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN 天野明
7位 SKET DANCE 篠原健太
8位 BLEACH 久保帯人
9位 おおきく振りかぶって ひぐちアサ
10位 君と僕。 堀田きいち
11位 夏目友人帳 緑川ゆき
12位 ヘタリア Axis Powers 日丸屋 秀和
13位 ダイヤのA 寺嶋裕二
14位 SLAM DUNK 井上雄彦
15位 バクマン。 大場 つぐみ, 小畑 健
16位 あひるの空 日向武史
17位 エア・ギア 大暮維人
18位 青空エール 河原和音
19位 桜蘭高校ホスト部 葉鳥ビスコ
20位 ソウルイーター 大久保篤
21位 NARUTO-ナルト- 岸本斉史
22位 PandoraHearts 望月淳
23位 ギャグマンガ日和 増田こうすけ
24位 黒執事 枢やな
25位 PSYREN-サイレン- 岩代 俊明
26位 ハヤテのごとく! 畑健二郎
27位 フルーツバスケット 高屋奈月
28位 おやすみプンプン 浅野 いにお
29位 テガミバチ 浅田弘幸
30位 FAIRY TAIL 真島ヒロ

この結果をどう見るか

01 Full Metal Alchemist
02 One Piece
03 Gintama
04 Kimi ni Todoke (here's a surprise)
05 Saint Onii-san (lol)
06 Reborn
07 Sket Dance (nice)
08 Bleach
09 Ookiku
10 Kimi to Boku (never read this before)
11 Natsume Yuujinchou (11!? Shocking)
12 Hetalia (lol)
13 Ace of Diamond
14 Slam Dunk (lol, how long has it ended!?)
15 Bakuman
16 Ahiru no Sora (never read it)
17 Air Gear
18 Yell for the Blue SKy (never read it)
19 Ouran High School Host Club
20 Soul Eater
21 Naruto
22 Pandora Hearts
23 Gag Manga Biyori (huh!?)
24 Kuro Shitsuji
25 Psyren
26 Hayate no Gotoku
27 Fruits Basket (oh come on... it ended for several years already!)
28 Oyasumi Pon Pon (never read it before)
29 Letter Bee
30 Fairy Tail (I'm glad it made the list... but this far down? O_o")
 
Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

01 Full Metal Alchemist
[ ... ]
03 Gintama
:luv

11 Natsume Yuujinchou (11!? Shocking)
Surprising, indeed. Probably because of the recent second anime. Though, I have to admit that the author is a pretty good story teller. Her Hotaru no Mori was the very first manga I actually bought because I was in love with the oneshot.

Though, I miss a lot of 'popular' series. Do you know how they actually offered the choices?
 
Last edited:

Siberia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
703
Reaction score
827
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

it seems that DGM is no longer popular lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top