Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hm, nothing I know :3

So, this oneshot run will be very fresh to me. How nice.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Which is why I don't think this is a replacement/revamp of Golden Future Cup, since most of them are rather obscure ;)

My take on this is that they're using the current void (originally intended for HxH?) to promote newbies who wasn't in the top in previous competitions, but who had been shown to have certain potentials.

Think of this as some sort of wild card entry or qualifier's round ;)
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hm, maybe an indicator that Jump is in need of new longrunning sellers.

If you're looking at the current lineout: Bleach and Naruto could be in final stage, DGM and HxH possibly with more breaks to come maybe even longtime hiatus, Reborn could easily end after this arc, ES21 is in it's final breath, Gintama's author is rumored to be tired on this series, forgot anyone? There's a little era falling out of Jump in the near future.

*kicks Jump for ending DArts while she's at it*
 
Last edited:

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Racing manga..

seems like a keeper
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Oh, I just noticed that they had on jumpsuits and helmets, very interesting.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Gintama's author is rumored to be tired on this series
Really? It doesn't seem like it to me. I heard Sorachi had a perfect chance to end Gintama not long ago and even announced he would (don't quote me on that though; it could be just a rumor), but dedided to keep going.

I kinda wish Gintama ended, though. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I'd rather see it ending on a high note with 300 chapters than being another Eyeshield21. :darn
 

Siberia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
703
Reaction score
827
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

.
Considering Gintama's profitability which is above average among other series, I don't see it ending soon.

Im just wondering what happened to ES 21, why do so many people guess that it will end soon? (I have never read it lol)
 
Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Really? It doesn't seem like it to me. I heard Sorachi had a perfect chance to end Gintama not long ago and even announced he would (don't quote me on that though; it could be just a rumor), but dedided to keep going.
Then we talk probably about the same thing, just I missed that 'keep going'-note :oh
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Unfortunately, Bleach won't be going anywhere for a few more years since Kubo says he still has plenty of things he wants to draw. That was only last year I believe. With his pacing who knows how long that will take. -__-

Although Naruto should be ending some time soon thankfully.

.
Im just wondering what happened to ES 21, why do so many people guess that it will end soon? (I have never read it lol)
It not only finished what has been the main objective for 300 chapters but it also has the final part with one of Sena's rivals about to be wrapped up.

Not much left to do from there.
 

n8starr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
132
Reaction score
11
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So what's the announcement?
Yeah, i was wondering... is it about kochi kame? I dont think anyone's really said yet other than talking about Jump Grade 1...
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

To repeat, making it clear, there's an announcement about Kochikame NEXT issue, and Kochikame gets the cover, too.

Preview :
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

For anyone that cares, I did end up counting the number of colors and covers for 2009 so far.

Updated as of Jump #26
One Piece Cover-3 ; Color-4
Naruto Cover-4 ; Color-3
Bleach Cover-2 ; Color-6
Toriko Cover-2 ; Color-2
Reborn Cover-0 ; Color-3
Beelzebub Cover-1 ; Color-5
Gintama Cover-1 ; Color-3
Bakuman Cover-1 ; Color-3
Kuroko Cover-1 ; Color-7
Inumaru Cover-0 ; Color-3
Kochikame Cover-1 ; Color-1
Sket Dance Cover-0 Color-2
Mago Cover-0 ; Color-1
Psyren Cover-0 ; Color-2
Eyeshield 21 Cover-0 ; Color-3
D.Gray-man Cover-1 ; Color-1
To Love Ru Cover-0 ; Color-2
Hoop Men Cover-1 ; Color-2
Meister Cover-1 ; Color-2
Bokke-san Cover-1 ; Color-3
Medaka Box Cover-1 ; Color-2
Akaboshi Cover-1 ; Color-2
Neuro Cover-0 ; Color-1

Issue #1
Meister-Cover+Color
Sket Dance-Color

Issue #2
Kuroko no Basket-Cover+Color
Bleach-Color
Meister-Color
To Love Ru-Color

Issue #3
Bokke-san-Cover+Color
Kuroko-Color
Eyeshield 21-Color

Issue #4-5
One Piece-Cover+Color
Bokke-san-Color

Issue #6-7
Naruto-Cover+Color
Bakuman-Color


Issue #8
Gintama-Cover+Color

Issue #9
Bakuman-Cover
Psyren-Color
Eyeshield 21-Color

Issue #10
Toriko-Cover+Color
Reborn-Color
Gintama-Color

Issue #11
Naruto-Cover+Color
Bleach-Color
Reborn-Color

Issue #12
One Piece-Cover+Color
Kuroko-Color

Issue #13
Beelzebub-Cover+Color
Eyeshield 21-Color
Inumaru Dashi-Color

Issue #14
Hoop Men-Cover+Color
Beelzebub-Color
Kuroko-Color
Inumaru-Color

Issue #15
D.Gray-man-Cover+Color
Bleach-Color
Hoop Men-Color

Issue #16
Naruto-Cover
Bakuman-Color
Mago-Color
Bokke-san-Color

Issue #17
Kochikame-Cover+Color
Bleach-Color
Reborn-Color

Issue #18
One Piece-Cover+Color
Kuroko-Color
Sket Dance-Color

Issue # 19
Naruto-Cover+Color
Toriko-Color
Inumaru-Color

Issue #20
Toriko-Cover
Bleach-Color
Beelzebub-Color
Psyren-Color

Issue #21
Bleach-Cover
Bakuman-Color
Neuro-Color

Issue #22-23
One Piece-Color
Beelzebub-Color
Gintama-Color

Issue #24
Medaka Box-Cover+Color
Bleach-Color
Kuroko-Color

Issue #25
Akaboshi-Cover+Color
Medaka Box-Color
To Love Ru-Color

Issue #26
Beelzebub-Color
Akaboshi-Color
Kuroko-Color

So yeah, Kuroko and Bleach have a higher count of colors than anything else. Although Bleach only has 2 covers so far and Kuroko has 1 which is its debut cover.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

hahaha, completely drives the point home that they're pimping Kuroko.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

7 FUCKING COLORS?!?!?!

GOODNESS GRACIOUS. That's it, I don't like Kuroko simply because it's too much out there. I like Beelzebub but I don't like it that it's getting so many colors either.

There are ~19 series in the magazine, how about spreading them around some more. I wouldn't like it if Psyren gets a color every other week. (I never thought I'd say that, but it's true)

And can somebody post a link to the one-shots?
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yes, this is really a bad trend. Looking at the stats for 2008: http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1221871&postcount=1040

the most being Bleach with 9 colour pages, second being TLR and Mago with 7. We're simply at the half year mark, and Kuroko/Bleach/Beezle are already dangerously close to breaking that record, what's up with that?
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

7 FUCKING COLORS?!?!?!

GOODNESS GRACIOUS. That's it, I don't like Kuroko simply because it's too much out there. I like Beelzebub but I don't like it that it's getting so many colors either.

There are ~19 series in the magazine, how about spreading them around some more. I wouldn't like it if Psyren gets a color every other week. (I never thought I'd say that, but it's true)

And can somebody post a link to the one-shots?
Sometimes, it could simply be that the author doesn't have time to draw the CP's (though I couldn't really see the logic of actively turning one down). It takes a long time to finish the final product ready for print.

ToLoveRu this year, for example, has partly to do with Yabuki being in a nasty divorce + low on assistant. (He said so himself in the tank comment page for Vol.13... and from what I've read, his ex-wife was a former shoujo mangaka/former "named" assistant for him. This could mean that the divorce was a double whammy for him :darn:darn)

Perhaps Kuroko's (and, Kubo's Bleach of course) were not really pimped per se, but rather the author taking every single opportunity offered to them?
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

And how many chapters does Beelze have? Kuroko's been pimped, no question, but I'm concerned at Beelze having so many as well despite being a SHORTER series.

Okay, after checking, there will be... thirteen chapters of Beelze, and twenty-two for Kuroko. Eesh. So Kuroko has colour pages 32% of the time, and Beelze has colours 38% of the time. Is my math right? For Beelze, that's every third chapter getting a colour page!

Kinda sad to see how the two top series of last year, Mago and To Love-Ru (in colour pages, and not including Bleach) have received some of the fewest this year. Jump HAS gotten worse, though. Naruto's had more cover pages so far than it apparently did in all of 2008!
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Naruto's had more cover pages so far than it apparently did in all of 2008!
Easily explained: Naruto has it's big anniversary year (started 1999).
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Racing manga..

seems like a keeper
I"m only gonna start a new racing manga once I finish Initial D(excellent BTW).

And with 300 chapters to go that could be a while. At least I'll have something to look forward to once I catch up with Initial D(assuming it does stay).

But that guys hair...keeps throwing me off.
 
Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The To-Love love for colors in '08 was partially due to the anime...though sadly it didn't get a cover once, can't say that's Yabuki or not since the whole ordeal was just a mess.

Oh, and if you want a racing series for Jump...well there was Circuit no Ookami in the mid-70s. (there was also Yoroshiku Mechadoc but not sure about that and it seems more a "car series" than a racing one)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top