Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

ES21 receiving the colour near its end seems pretty logical, time to see where it plays out to. I'm curious as to where Sket is, because my initial prediction of it's rise so far has proven right (out of the bottom at least), now it just depends on how far it went.
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Toriko's cover might be for its 1st year anniversary it currently had. (It started in 2008's issue #25.)
Nevertheless, Toriko cover is always appreciated!
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yeah, Toriko's cover is long in coming due to it's anniversary. As for the bottom...nothing really to say.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Interesting Eyeshield's getting a CP despite being so low for so long. Those usually only get them for special occasions. Is it an anniversary or something...
Rest is normal Toriko getting the cover is good. I'm backed up so my translation for this week is taking while.
Also, Toriko'ss next chapter is the finale of this arc, the first really long one. Which may be why it's here.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Interesting Eyeshield's getting a CP despite being so low for so long. Those usually only get them for special occasions. Is it an anniversary or something...
I remember someone saying that series usually get a cover or colour near the end of their run, yet not at the end of their run. So think of this as a way of saying the end is near. The game should be over in the next two or three chapters anyways.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Eyeshield ending will be good. This arc has been horrid.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

[Cross];1376569 said:
I remember someone saying that series usually get a cover or colour near the end of their run, yet not at the end of their run. So think of this as a way of saying the end is near. The game should be over in the next two or three chapters anyways.
Pretty much. With where the game is now, this is a "final appreciation" CP for ES21. I'm going to miss the series but the series really hasn't been the same since the Hakushuu game...and really should have ended with Teikoku.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The World Tournament felt that much worse since Eyeshield, at least in my opinion, has been one of the defining Jump titles of the decade. Trying to read other sports manga has been treacherous; Murata's art jumped off the page in a way few other artists could manage. Action in other series seem stiff and lifeless in comparison. Inagaki created a cast of interesting, unique characters; until the last arc it was always a fun, unique read.

I have to agree that this CP is the beginning of the end. It seems likely that Eyeshield will end in late June or early July. I'd like to think, with how popular and how long a run it's had, Eyeshield will get cover and color for it's last chapter.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Pretty much. With where the game is now, this is a "final appreciation" CP for ES21. I'm going to miss the series but the series really hasn't been the same since the Hakushuu game...and really should have ended with Teikoku.
First of all, where's your avatar from? Looks cool

and yeah I think this might be the final appreciation cp for ES21. I wouldn't and couldn't believe if it would still go on
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

First of all, where's your avatar from? Looks cool
It's from the Murata poster of the 40th anniversary. Sort of wanted to go with one of the series I'm translating (sort of like how I used G-chan for a while)...and since both Otokojuku characters really didn't seem to work (and because it was just that cool a pic on it's own), I went with Wingman. Sort of also wished I did one of Katsura's pics of Aoi instead...but it was spur of the moment and I thought it was cool.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I never thought I'd actually feel somewhat relieved to see Toriko getting its covers again... Congratulations on its anniversary!

Agree about the ridiculous number of unranked/pimped series. Might be good news for Mago if its supposedly low ranking doesn't necessarily correlate to low popularity. Doesn't it sell reasonably well for a new series?
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Agree about the ridiculous number of unranked/pimped series. Might be good news for Mago if its supposedly low ranking doesn't necessarily correlate to low popularity. Doesn't it sell reasonably well for a new series?
Nurarihyon has sold well over 100,000 copies per volume, and since its new, that means that it's pretty much a hit. Unless its sales begin to drop below 100,000, it should be safe. That's what people often neglect to take into account when they appraise the Table of Contents. Even if a series is low, if it sells well, that's still okay. So even if Nurarihyon is in the bottom five, we needn't worry unless its sales figures start to drop.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,929
Reaction score
5,622
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Sket volume 7 sold a little more then 70,000 copies during the two weeks it was in the top hundred. It's among the lowest sellers in Jump.
Eww. That means if Medaka can do slightly better, the Sket dan is in trouble.

Although it really just comes down to whether Shueisha wants to take a gamble on it. If they do, and grant it an anime soon, I'm sure those numbers will start to look up. Otherwise...Sket's in big trouble. Though I saw on 2ch it's not in the bottom five right now...which is a good sign....maybe?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Eww. That means if Medaka can do slightly better, the Sket dan is in trouble.

Although it really just comes down to whether Shueisha wants to take a gamble on it. If they do, and grant it an anime soon, I'm sure those numbers will start to look up. Otherwise...Sket's in big trouble. Though I saw on 2ch it's not in the bottom five right now...which is a good sign....maybe?
With consistently bad rankings and low sales Sket and Psyren are a bit enigmatic. They've benefited from strong early rankings, the first ten weeks mean everything, and numerous weak series debuting after them. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking either series, I enjoy both and lasting more then a year in Jump is a major accomplishment. I don't think Medaka should concern Sket fans; while both are school life Medaka seems to be targeting an older audience.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Sket will at least get to the 100 chapter mark since Eyeshield and Hoop will be the next ones to go out. Considering all 3 of the Sket Dan have had their pasts revealed on top of tying Tsubaki into one of them there might not be a whole lot more that needs to be covered. The only other crucial point that really needs to be covered is how all 3 managed to get together and form the club.

Sket never struck me as a series that would continue on longer than 150-200 chapters at best. Despite that the series is great and I wish it sold more.
 

TitaniumChloride

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,009
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Just wondering, has anyone checked out the new Shonen Jump site yet? I didn't expect the English version to have the same content as the Japanese one too. Also, the Akaboshi Wallpaper in the Mini-games and Download section is looking pretty snazzy. I hope they have a new wallpaper every month or so.

But I'm kinda freaking out about something though. As a DGM fan, I can't help but notice that it isn't listed on their serial list but there's still the mention of vol 18 that's coming out this month. I think that it's because it's currently on hiatus like HxH (which isn't on the list either) rather than the fact that it's out of the magazine, but what do you guys think? *am just a little paranoid*
 
Last edited:

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yeah, the new site is great!
We have the TOCs, covers, tankoubons and stuff all there!
For example, next week's TOC:



Awesome, huh?



See ya
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

1. Good to see Bleach as one of the Big 3 again.

2. Beezle's popularity is scary.

3. What happened to Kuroko?

4. Good to see Kochikame so low. Not like it matters anyway.

5. Hoop Men's last ditch effort?

6. Glad to see Akaboshi above Medaka Box (both are unranked but still good to see)

7. You can do better Psyren...

8. Back to your old self Eyeshield?

9. What's wrong with Gintama?

10. As a Psyren fan, I'm jealous of Sket fans...

11. Umm...Jaguar? What are you doing?

12. Inumaru...please die...

13. To-Love...please die...

14. *Amazed that Mago can suck so badly in the TOC and still sell so well...*
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Is that the order for the English WSJ?

EDIT: I meant on the English WSJ website.

Just so you know, it's not the actual TOC (ranking) that's going to be in the 2009-28, but in the order that was in 2009-27's "on next issue preview" list.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,929
Reaction score
5,622
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Is that the order for the English WSJ?

EDIT: I meant on the English WSJ website.

Just so you know, it's not the actual TOC (ranking) that's going to be in the 2009-28, but in the order that was in 2009-27's "on next issue preview" list.
So wait, whats on there isn't the TOC? Cause I nearly died when I saw Gin low again this week too.

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html

(Just in case I'm looking at something different.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top