Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone knows the ranking of last 10 chapters for Mx0? I'm still worried about the rumor, about cancelation of Mago. Despite of how ranking for two consecutive weeks, I'm afraid Mago getting same fate as Mx0.
I think we can drop the Mago cancellation rumor at some point. It sells well, is polling better, and there will not be any more series canceled for at least two months. If you really want to look at old TOC's head to the Live Journal. It goes back to at least 2005.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

From the looks of it... I don't really see how Shueisha is going to find something to cut for the next batch...

I mean with Mago and Sket going up and down, Psyren barely out of reach, Medaka staying stable in the middle, TLR safe for a long time... The only thing in any remote danger is Akaboshi, but its pre-8 week performed well (meaning the snap polling was good)...

Unless one or two of the new series crash-and-burn, I just don't see how they're going to cut anything (for now).


Does anyone knows the ranking of last 10 chapters for Mx0? I'm still worried about the rumor, about cancelation of Mago. Despite of how ranking for two consecutive weeks, I'm afraid Mago getting same fate as Mx0.
The final 10 chapters? They were mostly near the bottom:

Code:
Ch#	90	91	92	93	94	95	96	97	98	99
ToC	19  	14  	19  	5  	21  	12  	16  	11  	20  	20
As far as your concern goes, Mx0 dipped last place multiple times, but Mago never really dipped that low (as far as I can recall).
 
Last edited:

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Unless one or two of the new series crash-and-burn, I just don't see how they're going to cut anything (for now).
If the one-shot is any indication, Kagijin is 100% guaranteed to crash-and-burn. The one-shot is so boring and generic it makes me wonder why they even let it get published in first place. I don't know about the other two, but I can't imagine anything having to die for Kagijin to survive. It's that bad.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So whats that new series about? I havent heard much about it.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I meant Ane doki.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Oh,


Quick trans of the preview by Mr.Prince:
Do you like an ecchi/a sexy older sister?
It's the heart-beating start of a new life!!

Open a new door of heart-beating! The key to this excitement lies in those hands!!

Kouta who finds himself suddenly living a single life is completely at loss, when there appears someone right before his eyes...a mysterious "Onee-san". [Of course it's "elder sister" but you can call any teenage girl "onee-san"]

Kouta, a young boy who's cohabitating with a mysterious Onee-san!?

So basically a guy/older girl scenario.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ane Doki looks to be probably just alright. I'm not expecting to be blown away with it and it become my new favorite series but maybe it will last longer then Hatsukoi.

As for Kagijin, the one-shot was ok. It wasn't bad and I could see it lasting 5 or 6 volumes, but for it to last over the 10 volume mark, I think the author is gonna need to change a few things around and make it more interesting.

And since I still don't really know anything on the gag, I will just say cannon fodder for the other series at the moment.
 
Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Only thing that seems to interest me right now is that Sket is top five once again and Mago is higher than it has been...oh, and another OP break, obviously.

I know I know the rules regarding rankings and such but at the same time this is what makes me get turned off by the fandom in Japan. Whenever they vote for something to rank it, it usually are the Bleach fans (the more hyperactive types) than the Gintama ones. Sorachi's been doing some incredible stuff and it just doesn't feel right that this takes a beating...while Bleach acts generic and gets high ranking and an anime that really shoud have ended by now. I know some of what's going on, I just don't like it.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

About the ranking thing, I'm hearing conflicting thoughts.

The order is decided every week by the Jump sub-chief editor from what we know. It's just a 2ch rumor that the popularity cards play a direct role in his decision at all. Probably, the order is jumbled among the more popular manga sometimes so One Piece isn't always #1 or #2. It's probably the same for the back number of manga, save Jaguar of course. Also, the sub-chief editor will sometimes push specific manga during a week for whatever reason.

Obviously, though, there is some correspondence between popularity and the ToC, but it's not necessarily specific to the cards from eight weeks ago. The sub-chief editor puts popular manga nearer the front and less popular manga near the back. And he knows which manga are popular and which are not based on the cards, so I can see it coming in that way.
So there might not really be a problem with the fandom of Japan.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ha, has to make you wonder that if it is true we can partially blame the sub-chief editor for all the unwarranted Bleach color and placement.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Whenever they vote for something to rank it, it usually are the Bleach fans (the more hyperactive types) than the Gintama ones. Sorachi's been doing some incredible stuff and it just doesn't feel right that this takes a beating...while Bleach acts generic and gets high ranking and an anime that really shoud have ended by now. I know some of what's going on, I just don't like it.

Are you sure this is not just your personal bias speaking?
 

Ronin88

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yea hate to say it but it does sound bias.

For me personally i like bleach more than gintama and naruto. Don't know why i just do for some reason. One Piece and Bleach are my favourites.

Speaking of One Peice, sux how its taking a break...:(
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

If you want to be literal, and anything that is opinionated is bias, therefore everything you guys just said is biased and shouldn't be treated as truth, so arguing that Ataru's words are biased to discredit his opinion is wrong. Anyways, I personally think that Bleach's longevity isn't really hurting Gintama. It's the new span of new series that are jumping into the fray, and just because Gintama's rank is lower than usual doesn't mean it's any less appreciated. Also, think about the fanbase, bleach appeals to a younger crowd, which is the main target of WSJ while Gintama appeals to an older audience. It just so happens that the former is larger in number than the latter.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

[Cross];1432446 said:
If you want to be literal, and anything that is opinionated is bias, therefore everything you guys just said is biased and shouldn't be treated as truth, so arguing that Ataru's words are biased to discredit his opinion is wrong.

That was not my intention at all. It simply seems that his dislike of Bleach is the sole reason for his comment. He could have said Naruto or One Piece but he only puts down Bleach. And I like Gintama very much. And it's obviously okay to prefer one series to another but just because you want to support Gintama does not mean Bleach has to be worthless.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ughh...more ecchi?
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Two ecchi manga and one kinda-ecchi series is too much (technically one is too much).
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

[Cross];1432482 said:
Well, it is Kawashita, I wouldn't expect any less.
I assume it will be as popular as Hatsukoi.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Which hopefully means it will be gone quickly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top