Shoujo Nana by Ai Yazawa

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Hangout Thread

I agree. It's very close.

Even the first movie was very close to the manga, up to the costume designs and vivienne westwood hehe. I loved Mishka adams as Nana O.
 

ShortyBoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 21, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana Hangout Thread

I just finished reading all the way to chapter 84. I'm seriously hooked on the story. I also watched all 47 episodes of the anime, but I haven't watched the movies yet. At first I only was interested because I loved Kagen no Tsuki, and the only reason I read that was because I saw the movie, and the only reason I saw the movie was because of Hyde being in it. But I'm glad I got into reading Nana. I can't wait for the next chapter to come out.
 

Fujihara

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
5
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Nana 84 Discussion/85 Predictions Threads

@baboysai-- I still think present Hachi is much more growed up than past Hachi, so the further back you go, the "weaker" you could call her. Right now, I likes Hachi lots.

As for mental stability, no issues there as Hachi is the normal one. Normal people grow up over time, unlike Nana. :/

If Shin doesn't go to Reira, I will shoot him. Oh wait, I like the kid. I will hug his head and squeeze until it explodes. Anyway, he better get off his ass and go to her or I will be annoyed.
 
Last edited:

Jabberwocky

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

The August issue of Shueisha's Cookie magazine has announced on Friday that manga creator Ai Yazawa is putting her NANA series on hold due to a sudden illness. As a result, this issue did not run its scheduled installment of NANA. Since Yazawa will need several months of treatment and rest, NANA will also not appear in the September issue (which will ship on July 25) or later issues until further notice.

Cookie's editorial department offered its apologies to NANA's readers, and added that NANA's return has not been scheduled yet. Once the editors can confirm Yazawa's recovery, they will notify their readers of the manga's return through the magazine itself, the magazine's homepage, the official NANA website, and other means.

Viz Media will publish the 17th of NANA's 21 current volumes in North America next month, and it is also releasing both the television anime adaptation and the two live-action film adaptations. Yazawa was scheduled to appear at the Japan Expo convention in France next week, but Japan Expo announced on June 12 that she had to cancel due to health problems. NANA was on hiatus from June to November of 2007 while Yazawa recuperated from another illness and the resulting operation.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-06-26/nana-ai-yazawa-puts-manga-on-hold-due-to-illness

"Hiatus expected to last several months, starting with current Cookie issue"
 

Himemo

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
25
Reaction score
5
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

Noooooo! *cries*

Get well soon, Yazawa-sensei! So sad. Hope she's okay.
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

NOOOOOO :crying
This is not a great way to start my weekend.... i was so looking forward to the ending.. What is she down with?
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

Thanks for letting us know, Phoenix Wright. But this is terrible news! :crying

I haven't been able to find what the illness is yet, but anything that would cause her to go on hiatus for "several months" must be pretty serious. :s I hope she recovers as quickly as possible!
 

ShortyBoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 21, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

Aww, I was really looking forward to chapter 85 coming out soon. I guess I need to find another manga to start reading.
 

Jabberwocky

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

She could just be overworked and needs a vacation.
 

MissYuki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

Oh no!>< I was wondering why Chapter 85 hadn't been released yet! Get well Miss Yazawa...
 

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

Geehhhh... well, if she's sick, she's sick. If she spends the time recuperating and comes back better than ever then it's all good. I just hope she leaves some notes behind in case of Author Existence Failure. Just saying ;)
 

Fujihara

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
5
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

I went to the Cookie fan site, because there's a section where you can write fan-mail to the authors. In other words, it's possible to send "get-well" e-mails. It's these kinds of times we must show our emotional support as fans, and let the artist know that we're behind her 100% and that we wish for their health.

矢沢先生へ、

こっちはナナのファンで、ハワイ主ですので、詳しく分からないが矢沢先生が病気してしまって、ネットで聞いています。病気は大変ですね。よく身体を休んでくださいませ。世界中ファンの俺達は大人しくお待ちして、応援します。いつたってもナナの続きを待ちますので、無理せずに楽にしてください。

矢沢先生は早くよくなりますように祈っています。

To Aizawa-sensei,

I am a fan of Nana and being a Hawaii resident, I cannot know in detail but through the net I've heard you have come down sick. That is very worrisome. Please take good care of your body. Us fans from around the world will wait patiently and cheer you on. No matter how long it takes, we'll be waiting for Nana's continuation so please be at ease without forcing yourself.

I am praying for Aizawa-sensei's speedy recovery.
:amuse
 

Phoenix946

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
920
Reaction score
467
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Nana Hangout Thread

I thought I'd see what this Nana was seeing as how amazingly popular it apparently is and I had never read any Shoujo. Read the first few chapters and found it pretty ok, but real life in fiction isn't my thing, enough of that in real life already.

Reason for this post though, is it me or are their legs freakishly thin? That seriously freaked me out, reminded me of Nagato in Naruto, who is supposed to be the living embodiment of pain and suffering. And in this manga it's apparently normal? :o

And why do all the 'cool' and 'adult' people smoke? Only exception as far as I read was Junko.
 

Himemo

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
25
Reaction score
5
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana Hangout Thread

Hi Phoenix946! Thanks for trying Nana! (Hmm, I sound like a salesperson.)

I think the legs are just Ai Yazawa's style. A lot of stylized shoujo does that, makes their characters insanely tall and thin (see: CLAMP). IMO it's a reflection of the thin-obsessed fashion world. Want to make your characters look cool? Make them look like they've never eaten. Yay. I think Ai Yazawa's characters tend to look a lot like fashion sketches. I'd be curious to see if she ever studied fashion design, actually.

As for why all the characters smoke, I think it's a fairly realistic representation of rock band culture. All of my friends who are in bands smoke, I think. I'm not sure if the timeline of the manga has ever been established, I know the anime put it in 2001, but I'm not positive of the dates in the manga. But I've always that of Nana and Hachi as born in the early 80s like me, and the rest of the characters born in the late 70s. While I'm not sure if it's the same in Japan, the late 70s/early 80s born generation tends to be much heavier smokers than most, I think. Most people I know around my age either smoke or have smoked, while the people I know younger and older tend to have a much lower rate of smoking. It's not healthy or a great example, but I personally would have found it very unrealistic if those characters didn't smoke. Also, although it is certainly starting, I don't think smoking has been as vilified in Japan as it is in other countries. So that might make a difference.
 

Phoenix946

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
920
Reaction score
467
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Nana Hangout Thread

As long as you don't try to sell me anything ;)

Hmm, sounds rather plausible on the legs, but wouldn't that mean only the girls are like that? Since cool looking guys are certainly supposed to have some body to show.

The rock band sounds fair enough, not sure why but it does seem 'normal' to smoke in such a life (although there too, the nervous guy band member didn't smoke iirc?). But if we're talking a simple cause by generation, it doesn't make sense that Nana, Junko and Shouji don't smoke imo. Again I only read the first few chapters so I don't know if later introduced characters oppose this.

I don't know, might be me but it comes across as giving pretty wrong examples of what is supposed to be cool. Easily influenced people could start thinking you're cool if you're an anorectic chain smoker.
 

lucreciatorres

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Re: Nana Hangout Thread

the style of yazawa is very unique kind of skinny but good eyes!
 

sleepycat

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Takumi

Takumi, imho, character is not complex. He had a bad father, was a misfit (bad-boy) teenager, a womanizer and most importantly is madly in love with his career and since Reira is part of that scene, can't live without her. All the thing that he does, he is aware of it and he do it anyways. He is my least favorite character cuz he shows no growth, no commitment or even love. I think women to him are just an avenue for him to release his frustration, horniness (lol) and a place of warmth. I don't feel sorry for him nor do I gushed over him. So, if he can't even commit to a relationship without cheating, then imo, he is just your typical, horny, abusive of power, little man. I just wished that Ai Yazawa would have introduced at least one new male character that rivals Takumi since it is already 20 volumes long but alas, we have to sit and read the ever down spiraling and depressing relationship that is Hachi and Takumi. I am just hoping and praying that the 2 of them ended up with a divorce because I think Takumi needs to be single more so than being tied down. He is a swinger.
 

sleepycat

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Nana 84 Discussion/85 Predictions Threads

I don't think Shin should go to Reira cuz Shin himself is a kid. Among all the guys there, he's the one with the most screwed up upbringing. Reira did give him comfort for awhile until he realized that she is pretty screwed up herself. They are actually not suitable for each other. He can't take care of her cuz he is still growing up and Reira messed it up when she rejected him. I think in the future, Shin probably is so over Reira that I find it pretty hilarious. Shin needs a new woman to make him happy and Reira is not it. I've noticed that sometimes in real life, people always go out and seek comfort in their own inner circle and the same is happening here in the manga. So, my suggestion to Shin, RUN!!!!
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Nana Hangout Thread

Hmm, sounds rather plausible on the legs, but wouldn't that mean only the girls are like that? Since cool looking guys are certainly supposed to have some body to show.
Nope, the cultural ideal of beauty in Japan is a feminine appearance, not a manly one. Just look at the mainstream majority of Japanese male celebrities and artists, you often can barely tell them apart from their female co-workers.

While manga for guys focus on butt&boobs for the female characters, the manga for girls tend to feature skinny till normal looking male characters. Muscular and very sportive looking guys are more a thing of action and erotic manga targeting male readers, not so much of romance and drama stories for females. Even in Boys Love manga you differ between gay manga for guys (over-the-to muscular characters) and gay manga for girls (natural, skinny, feminine or slightly sportive characters).

I have to admit that many seinen manga turn me off because of the 'too manly' design of the male characters. I can better adjust on normal or skinny types when following a story.
 
Last edited:

urdtakako

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
34
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Takumi

IMO: I think Takumi has changed a little after he married Hachi-kou. After their child was born, I think he has developed a sense of responsibility to at least go home and initiate talks with Hachi.

After Ren's death, I'm impressed with Takumi staying together and helping the other members out.
 
Top