Info - Attention to International Manga Editors! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info Attention to International Manga Editors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hello everyone

First of all, sorry that I had to make everyone to read this announcement, even though a large portion of you are not involved.

This is an announcement for international Manga Editors who use other groups' releases as base for your own releases. Please do pay attention to the groups' requests. They're simple enough to do.

I made an announcement previously, located here:
http://mangahelpers.com/news/details/201

That announcement contains everything about this issue is all about. Also, since the problem is still ongoing even with that announcement, I made an update to it, located here:
http://mangahelpers.com/news/details/210

Please do take your time and read both of the announcement. If you can't get the points, please do ask someone to translate them for you into your language for you to have a better understanding about the issue.

While I'm saying that, this is only for groups who told you that you can use their scans for international releases. For groups who don't allow you to do so, please don't. Or if you really have to, ask them if they'll allow it or not. Please only use the releases after you get the permission.

Thank you for your cooperation. Any questions can be asked here or in the announcement update (the original announcement has been closed for replies).

[eni]Thread is closed. [/eni]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lsshin

Intl Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
as i said on the beta the only solutions is talking to other sites and doing the same thing as here, force all the Editing groups to give credit or not do anything, we should try to reach the other site owners or admins to get some kind of agreement..

luar

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I've got two questions.

First one: Does the site policy affect Edited Mangas done before said policy was changed? My international Editing group started some months ago and at that time we were young and didn't care too much about these things, but two months ago we decided to start giving credit and in some cases use the japanese raws. If the site policy is in fact retroactive, could some time-tolerance be given so that we can update the files giving the due and well deserved credit? I know that some time has passed since the original announcement, but it does take some time to do this.

Second one: There's a manga (hypothetical situation) with a Edited Manga by only one group. We ask that group if we can use their scans, and they tell us that we can't. From what I understand from your post, we wouldn't be able to use them since we don't have permission. Now the problem is that there isn't a raw available (who knows through what trouble the Editing group went through to get theirs and they aren't willing to share it) and the only group that has scanlated it prohibits other groups to use their scans even if they give credit (Now that I think of it, it's really not that much of a hypothetical situation). Wouldn't this go against MangaHelpers's ideal of bringing manga to where it isn't readily available? If we take it to another level, you're putting us in a situation that is similar to having to ask Kishimoto if he would allow us to use his Naruto manga, he answers "no", and hence you don't publish a single Naruto Edited Manga on Manga Helpers, because permission was denied.

drakend

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I find it's wonderful that some fansub/Edited Manga groups issue copyright infringment complaints over works they don't have any copyright to begin with! :D
Who gave them the right to translate something? Nobody!
I'm thankful for their work of course, which is for foree, but I can't stand when they are so strict over their translation copyright when they're the first one who ignores the companies' copyright. :rolleyes:
The main purpose of fansub/Edited Manga is to spread anime and manga among fans, so the more they get translated, the better it is. This copyright infringment complaints are ludicrous and pathetic.

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
For the first one:
Giving credits is important. The announcement applies to releases from here on out. This announcement only applies to the groups with such requests. Some groups are content with you just mentioning them, some don't care at all, some ask you to put their credits page along, some don't allow you to use their releases at all, and some others have their own way.

In this case for past releases, yes, you're given the time to fix your past releases. That's the leniency we can offer for you, only applies for past releases though. New releases are subjected to the announcement immediately.

Second question:
If they don't allow you to do so, then don't. If they can find a raw to the manga, so can you. There are some other solutions in this case, which the final solution to the unavailability of raw files is for you to scan the raw yourself. You can try to request the raw files here though.

Most of the time, when you can't find the raw files on the internet, it means that the groups bought the manga volume/magazine themselves. One other way is for you to ask them for the raw files, instead of asking to use their scans. Some groups are happy enough to send you the raw files instead of allowing you to just bubble erasing the text from their releases.

I find it's wonderful that some fansub/Edited Manga groups issue copyright infringment complaints over works they don't have any copyright to begin with! :D
Who gave them the right to translate something? Nobody!
I'm thankful for their work of course, which is for foree, but I can't stand when they are so strict over their translation copyright when they're the first one who ignores the companies' copyright. :rolleyes:
The main purpose of fansub/Edited Manga is to spread anime and manga among fans, so the more they get translated, the better it is. This copyright infringment complaints are ludicrous and pathetic.
That happens when there are two sides of people around. One is those who care about the situation, and the other is the leechers who don't care at all about anything, as long as they get their fix. Not that they give anything back to the people who took their time so they can read the manga anyway.

I don't mind the chances of the groups if the groups stop releasing the chapters since I can read Japanese. But it'll be a sad thing for thousands of others who can't. But still, can I say that I wouldn't care? From having manga to not, I don't think everyone would like to see that happened.

Let me take JapFlap for example. How many times do you think they're that close to stopping releasing Naruto in HQ, because of just a bunch of people? Since they're the only one now who are Editing Naruto in HQ, they stopping means there would be no one else. So there won't be HQ chapters anymore. But of course, what do the leechers have to care? They just get whatever came out first and settle with it. Quality is something far from their mind.

Also.. I don't see it's hard at all to put a line in your credits page or put the original credits page along. Let me say this: erasing bubbles off the releases and putting your language text in, is hardly Editing. In fact, I'd call that not a Edited Manga.

Last edited:

drakend

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I don't mind the chances of the groups if the groups stop releasing the chapters since I can read Japanese. But it'll be a sad thing for thousands of others who can't. But still, can I say that I wouldn't care? From having manga to not, I don't think everyone would like to see that happened.
Yeah that's a very sad scenario, but I think advacing copyright infringment issues over something you don't have the rights to begin with is a nonsense. I agree with you where you say international groups should credit the english ones, but that's a courtesy, a form of politeness. The world is full of rude and stupid people, so it shouldn't be such a surprise if some groups don't give the proper credits. Going around crying you is still pathetic: fansub/scalation groups do their translation, which I'm very thankful for, just for passion and love of manga/anime in order to spream them among more and more fans. Not to get the copyright note on the manga! :D

Also.. I don't see it's hard at all to put a line in your credits page or put the original credits page along. Let me say this: erasing bubbles off the releases and putting your language text in, is hardly Editing. In fact, I'd call that not a Edited Manga.
Yes I agree on it: but there are plenty of groups who FORBID the use of their translation to translate into native languages. That's the worst case scenario because:
1) they don't have any rights on a work to begin with.
2) they betray the very fansub/Edited Manga spirit: to spread anime/manga among fans, so the more the better.
3) they make childish blackmails usually saying "if you don't stop translating our subs we won't make them anymore".

At this point is better if such groups would cease to exist entirely because they're a curse to the fansub/Edited Manga community.

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Yeah that's a very sad scenario, but I think advacing copyright infringment issues over something you don't have the rights to begin with is a nonsense. I agree with you where you say international groups should credit the english ones, but that's a courtesy, a form of politeness. The world is full of rude and stupid people, so it shouldn't be such a surprise if some groups don't give the proper credits. Going around crying you is still pathetic: fansub/scalation groups do their translation, which I'm very thankful for, just for passion and love of manga/anime in order to spream them among more and more fans. Not to get the copyright note on the manga! :D
Well true, not all people are like that. But let me just put it like this, MangaHelpers is not a place for such people. If they can't comply with the very simple rules.... then probably this is not a place for them. Actually that applies everywhere anyway. If you can't follow the rules of a certain site, then probably it's not a place for you.

Yes I agree on it: but there are plenty of groups who FORBID the use of their translation to translate into native languages. That's the worst case scenario because:
1) they don't have any rights on a work to begin with.
2) they betray the very fansub/Edited Manga spirit: to spread anime/manga among fans, so the more the better.
3) they make childish blackmails usually saying "if you don't stop translating our subs we won't make them anymore".

At this point is better if such groups would cease to exist entirely because they're a curse to the fansub/Edited Manga community.
How about you see it this way? If they want to do something, then do it themselves. If they want a translation, translate from Japanese to their language. If they want a Edited Manga, then clean the raws themselves. No problems will arise, I can assure you that.

Or, how about you take your time, around 10 hours on every Friday Editing 4 to 5 manga, and let the others use your releases without any worries? That would solve the problems all together.

drakend

Reaction score
Country
Italy
If you can't follow the rules of a certain site, then probably it's not a place for you.
Oh but I'm not directly interested by these rules: I was only stating my opinion on them... then who wants to publish his Edited Mangas on this site will have to follow the rules, of course. Wrong or right the site is managed by the staff who decides what's wrong and what's right of course, but this doesn't stop the user to express their own opinions, does it? :)

How about you see it this way? If they want to do something, then do it themselves. If they want a translation, translate from Japanese to their language. If they want a Edited Manga, then clean the raws themselves. No problems will arise, I can assure you that.
If someone wants to spread a certain manga X scanlated only by group Y in his own native language he only does a service for the community, so I don't see why he should be stopped in doing so by nosensical copyright infringment complaints. The manga editors tolerate, to a certain extent, the unauthorized translation of their manga, I don't see why fansub/Edited Manga group cannot. They have even more reason to be in favor on manga localizations, because they exist to spread anime and manga between the fans. Or is it just an excuse to show off their translation skills, in order to get hired by some company maybe? :D

Or, how about you take your time, around 10 hours on every Friday Editing 4 to 5 manga, and let the others use your releases without any worries? That would solve the problems all together.
I wouldn't have a problem in doing that: I mean if I scanlate a manga I do that for the community so I wouldn't have any reason to oppose to something which goes in favor of the community as well! :D

luar

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I think your arguments have got some contradictions... First of all, if they aren't happy lending us their scans and we giving credit to them, why should they be happy to give us their raws? I fail to see the reason... especially if they had to buy the raws. Where I live it is practically impossible to get any raws... And I visited the forum you have for requesting raws, but I noticed that in the first pages less than 10% of the requests are fulfilled. So I wouldn't actually classify asking at the forum as a solution.

Second of all, there are quite a few international Editing groups that use the english scans as a source, but edit them so that they are of a higher quality (we've done this in the past with some chapters)... Some chapters also require editing and reconstructing the parts with English text on the actual drawings (text outside of bubbles, also done this)... So I fail to see why suddenly you've started making big generalizations that only the bubbles are edited when using scans from English Editing groups... I guess some clarification should be made because now it seems that the policy is only against Manga Editors that limit themselves to erasing the text on the bubbles and adding their translation.

And you mention following the rules for the site... that if you can't follow them, you shouldn't be here in the site. I've got no problem with that, we've been following site policy until now and will continue following it. But now... is the site following the rules for manga?

If they can't comply with the very simple rules.... then probably this is not a place for them. Actually that applies everywhere anyway.
I am quite aware that a movement was made in Japan to try to stop the subbing of anime and editing of manga. So is the site following the global (world) rules for manga? The truth is that none of us are following those rules. Again, the only part that I think is border line of the new policy is the impossibility to use the English scans if no raw is available and you've been prohibited from using the scans even if you're willing to put their credits page... The site has shifted from being completely lenient, to being severely harsh on this, instead of trying to find an intermediate position...

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Actually, we're lenient enough atm. All we ask you to do is to credit the original Manga Editor of the releases you use. Simple enough. Just fulfill their request. Some requires you to take their unmodified original English credits page and include it along with your releases. Then there should be no problems at all.

I fail to see what's so hard about it. If you follow the groups' request, then there shouldn't be a need for you to worry about anything.

Now, about the can't use the English scans if there are no raws available. That has always been the rule since the very start of this site. You need to get permission from the groups first. That's all. There's no change in that. I can't say "Oh, you can't find the raws? Then go use whatever English scans you see as base".

I'm just mentioning that, the best way to solve the problem of no raws available, is to buy them. With that said, yes, if you don't get permission from the group to use their releases as base, then it's a no here.

As for the bubble editing thing, it was related to the JapFlap example. Plus, this problem only occurs among the more popular WSJ series.

drakend

Reaction score
Country
Italy
The site has shifted from being completely lenient, to being severely harsh on this, instead of trying to find an intermediate position...
It's in the staff full rights to enstabilish what position to take... anyway when a place becomes too much strict and oppressive it's time to migrate somewhere else! :D

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Is it oppressive or too much when we just want people to credits the original scans they're using? Or is it just too hard to do? A single line or just copy paste an extra page, is that really hard?

Actually I'm amused about where is this turning harsh is coming from. It's the same exact rule we have 3 years ago, and it sure the damn same rule we hold until today. So explain to me why this turn harsh issue is here anyway? Is it just because we are reminding everyone about the rule?

If you feel like it is wrong, feel free to make the Edited Mangas every week and lead everyone by example.

Last edited:

drakend

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Is it oppressive or too much when we just want people to credits the original scans they're using? Or is it just too hard to do? A single line or just copy paste an extra page, is that really hard?
I clearly wrote that I have no problems with making the credits to the original Edited Manga group: it's a given imho and a sign of politeness. I was referring to groups which forbids to use their translations and/or raws to localize a manga. I clearly stated that, but perhaps you missed that part... :rolleyes:

Actually I'm amused about where is this turning harsh is coming from. It's the same exact rule we have 3 years ago, and it sure the damn same rule we hold until today. So explain to me why this turn harsh issue is here anyway? Is it just because we are reminding everyone about the rule?
A rule which isn't fair in somebody's opinion doesn't turn out being fair in any amount of time... :D

If you feel like it is wrong, feel free to make the Edited Mangas every week and lead everyone by example.
I don't need to give anyone any example: I have evrey right to state whatever opinion I have without having to prove anything to anyone. Anyway I already stated that I wouldn't have problems in giving my translations and/or raws to whomever want them. If I would scanlate a manga I would do this for the sake of the manga community, not for showing off my translation skills or something.
Manga Editors who whine about copyright infringments are a nonsense in itself, a curse to the Edited Manga world: if this nonsense is where the Edited Manga world is going to it's better if it will cease to exist entirely.

zidane

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
I find all of this pretty amusing. You do realize that 95% of the uncredited cases happen with Naruto / Bleach / One Piece? Not like there were 20 different spanish Manga Editors for Saru Lock, but there sure as hell are for Naruto, if not much more.
And in those 95% of the cases, it'd be so very simple to fix the problem.

Let's be somewhat honest here, Sleepyfans (for Bleach / Naruto) and Binktopia (Naruto / One Piece) are currently the dominating groups here. And we get around 15 uncredited international releases weekly. This week there were around 30 probably. Obviously english Edited Manga groups have no copyrights either, we are pirating the industry somewhat (though I still believe we also serve it to some dagree), but it's the complete disrespect to the people that's shocking and inacceptable.

People who put hours of work into one release, Raw-Providers buying the mags, Jap-Eng translators giving international Manga Editors the opportunity to even translate and publish at all (easily the most credit-worthy part of the job), and Manga Editors, cleaning the shitty WSJ raws, allowedly with sometimes huge discrepancies of quality. (About the anterior comment on international Manga Editors simply erasing bubbles: it's the damn truth in most cases. And those who take pride in redrawing out the english text, et cetera... well why not take the next step and clean the raws yourself then? Redrawing is definetely the most difficult skill to aquire, if you can that, it's simple to clean on your own rather than rely on a cleaned version as a base for your scan.)

Point of this all, for the big 3, I know of only 2-3 (mainly french) groups that actually clean their speedscans themselves, so all the other 50-60 international "groups" are completely addicted to the english groups. Just show some respect to original Manga Editors and follow their (in most cases really simple) requests. Sleepyfans: they don't seem to have any contact to the outside world (why would a onemanga-Editing group even want that) - but just for the respect, do mention them as the original Manga Editors. Binktopia: please, oh please just put in our credits page. It's so simple of a request. I do think that our raw providers, our translators and our cleaners deserve at least that if you decide to use our scans. If the status quo remains, we'll simply start to throw in HUGE watermarks on our scans, like around 5-10 (lost count) international groups already do. Yes, they put huge and ugly watermarks on the edits we spend our spare time on. Or we'll just follow Eagle's example (Japflap), we just won't allow our scans being used at all anymore.

And Lsshin your point is kind of senseless here. Yes, underground sites that exist by the thousands will still break the "rules" and just publish whatever. But mangahelpers is controllable, and has admins (friends) that do care for Manga Editors "rights" and wishes, and for this I'm honestly thankful. Keeping mangahelpers free from stealing is the thing that can be done here, let's not care for other sites for the moment.

For the end of my rant, I have a suggestion to make, unokpasabaxaki was the initiator of this on IRC. How about a "mangacops" usergroup? Designated and spunky fans who check the big 3 anyway(let's limit it to that for starters), could at least start reporting, maybe even get some kind of position to contact the affected groups. International stealing happens, like I stated before, on a daily basis. I'm not even mad about it, just disappointed that it still happens. And I'm sure that simple, direct contacting (for first-timers) and explaining to them that what they do is wrong (possibly in their native language, make mangacops as international as possible), would fix the problem in most cases. Give them some staff forums, a thread where they can make a list of groups and how often they were stealing / got contacted to change their behaviour. I'm pretty lenient about consequences, it's okay to just tell first timers. Warn those who do it a second time. And for the third time, exclude them out of the community? I realize that a new usergroup would just mean more work for you guys, especially keeping track of what the "cops" do and if they do it right. It's just a suggestion, take it with a pinch of salt.

A rule which isn't fair in somebody's opinion doesn't turn out being fair in any amount of time... :D
Nobody doubted it's fairness up to this point. It hasn't changed, obviously the leechers (or one leecher) just learned to type.

I don't need to give anyone any example: I have evrey right to state whatever opinion I have without having to prove anything to anyone. Anyway I already stated that I wouldn't have problems in giving my translations and/or raws to whomever want them. If I would scanlate a manga I would do this for the sake of the manga community, not for showing off my translation skills or something.
Manga Editors who whine about copyright infringments are a nonsense in itself, a curse to the Edited Manga world: if this nonsense is where the Edited Manga world is going to it's better if it will cease to exist entirely.
You do have every right to say whatever you want. But without giving further explanations and examples, we also take your comment as such: utterly worthless.
An opinion without reasons to it is no opinion at all. You clearly don't know how to debate. And your further talk in conjunctive is especially worthless. "I would do this...", "I would do that...", it's just that, talk. Worthless talk. And I take it personally if you call Japflap a curse. Actually, I take it as a joke. You do know that those guys even delete their old scans to not have any problems with copyrights? Their efforts are endless, and they do respect the original author. Heck, their whole website is worshipping Kishimoto. Just taking it as an example. Other groups who don't allow their scans being used at all most likely have damn good reasons to, too. You are in no position to judge them.

Last edited:

drakend

Reaction score
Country
Italy
For the end of my rant, I have a suggestion to make, unokpasabaxaki was the initiator of this on IRC. How about a "mangacops" usergroup? Designated and spunky fans who check the big 3 anyway(let's limit it to that for starters), could at least start reporting, maybe even get some kind of position to contact the affected groups. International stealing happens, like I stated before, on a daily basis. I'm not even mad about it, just disappointed that it still happens. And I'm sure that simple, direct contacting (for first-timers) and explaining to them that what they do is wrong (possibly in their native language, make mangacops as international as possible), would fix the problem in most cases. Give them some staff forums, a thread where they can make a list of groups and how often they were stealing / got contacted to change their behaviour. I'm pretty lenient about consequences, it's okay to just tell first timers. Warn those who do it a second time. And for the third time, exclude them out of the community? I realize that a new usergroup would just mean more work for you guys, especially keeping track of what the "cops" do and if they do it right. It's just a suggestion, take it with a pinch of salt.
MANGA COPS? WTF is this thing? LOL!
What about forming the Manga Editor Industry Association of America? :D
Suing rogue internatioal Edited Manga group is an option as well: I'm very curious what the judge will say! :D

Nobody doubted it's fairness up to this point. It hasn't changed, obviously the leechers (or one leecher) just learned to type.
Leechers don't have anything to do with that. We're talking about native language Edited Manga groups, so I don't see where you're coming out from with this leecher thing. Besides what about explaining who is the leecher who has learnt how to write? Just curious, but perhaps you want to avoid being suspended for personal offences...

You do have every right to say whatever you want. But without giving further explanations and examples, we also take your comment as such: utterly worthless.
I was referring to bax's statement in which he said I should start my own Edited Manga group myself and then distributing my work for free. I wasn't talking about examples about my opinions. :rolleyes:
I don't need to show that kind of proof to anyone to support my idea: it was pretty clear, perhaps you should read with more attention. :rolleyes:
Not to mention I explained my reasons as well, but one should read what I wrote to know... :D

An opinion without reasons to it is no opinion at all. You clearly don't know how to debate. And your further talk in conjunctive is especially worthless. "I would do this...", "I would do that...", it's just that, talk.
I clearly state that groups cannot whine about copyright infringments over something they don't have any rights to begin with, and the spreading of native translated manga is in the interest of the Edited Manga community. So groups cannot forbid anything, they can only ASK to be given proper credit as a form of courtesy. That's my opinion, I wrote it again for you. Now you can share it or not, but don't go telling around it's worthless while it points out undeniable truths.

Worthless talk. And I take it personally if you call Japflap a curse. Actually, I take it as a joke.
I don't care about Japflap, I was talking in general: Manga Editors who whines about copyright infringment are a curse to Edited Manga world, which is based on free translations made by fans for other fans, in order to spread the joy of reading manga. Not in order to have copyright infringment complains! :rolleyes:

-Ren Boy-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Manga Editors can't complain because they too are breaching copyrights by posting scans of their favourite manga on internet for free when publishers are losing money because now fans are not buying volumes.

Just saying

Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
North Korea
Manga Editors can't complain because they too are breaching copyrights by posting scans of their favourite manga on internet for free when publishers are losing money because now fans are not buying volumes.

Just saying
Well groups like Binktopia in their credits page do say to support the mangaka/publisher when available in their area as a sort of disclaimer, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to insert the credit page of the initial group in their intl.scans, and if they do more than just replace the text, they can have 2 credit pages. Though do readers actually take notice of that page(s) is another question...

Status
Not open for further replies.