Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Gags hardly count as they're untranslated. Hard to read.

I've had trouble getting into the 2009 series. Medaka and Ane are serviceable, beelze is great. A lot of my older series ended or I dropped them. I guess that accounts for my light reading list.

I forgot to add Gintama to my list even though I've been reading it for three years now >.<

so, 11. Gintama
Well, didn't know if we should include them or not. Not like I read any of them but yeah.

WSJ felt a lot weaker with the older series ending when I looked back on it. It still hasn't quite built itself up again for me.

2009 series haven't absolutely sucked imo but I'd say its 50/50. I enjoy Medaka, Ane Doki, Beelzebub, and Bokke-san when it was around. In contrast, Akaboshi, Kuroko, and Kagijin have felt lacking throughout most of their runs.

I can't judge the other 2 but I had the feeling I would like Lilienthal over Hokenshitsu.
 

Jase

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

First post here. My own list in regards to Kaiten's question, in no particular order -

1. Beelzebub
2. Bleach
3. Medaka
4. Psyren
5. Naruto
6. Bakuman
7. Ane Doki

I'm a little light on WSJ current series since Eyeshield and ToLove ended, and haven't found the time yet to get into some of the other series currently running.
 

pandaaqueen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
1,235
Reaction score
1,363
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

- Reborn!
- Bakuman
- Mago
- Akaboshi
- One Piece

- Psyren and Bleach at times
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

2009 series haven't absolutely sucked imo but I'd say its 50/50. I enjoy Medaka, Ane Doki, Beelzebub, and Bokke-san when it was around. In contrast, Akaboshi, Kuroko, and Kagijin have felt lacking throughout most of their runs.
I'd consider most of the 2009 series mediocre. There was no Visiteaur (sic) type garbage but a lot of run of the mill shonen. Beelze is a lot of fun, not exactly classic manga, but great shonen. Ane is good but not as good as the rest of Kawashita's catalog. Medaka has the potential to be better but started off to episodic. Kind of feels like a yanki manga now, but is getting a bit better ^^

One Piece seems to be the closest we have to a common thread. So far it's on more lists then any series.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Bored, so so far;

One Piece occurs 10 times
Naruto comes up 8 times
Bleach comes up 8 imes.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

They're the stand byes. All new manga fans have to read those series. That's the rules. Every one seems to stick with them weather they like or not too. Some of the newer, more interesting series like Mago and Beelzebub are getting some love too.
 

shades7000

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
23
Reaction score
4
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

My Shonen Jump list
1) One Piece
2) Naruto
3) Bleach
4) Bakuman
5) Akaboshi (sad it's ending)
6) Beelzebub
7) Reborn!
8) Psyren
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

One Piece seems to be the closest we have to a common thread. So far it's on more lists then any series.
i think i've seen Bakuman in most lists too.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Bakuman has been on a lot. That makes me happy, it's one of the few Jump series I would call a classic. It really is as good as some of the series I read from othe demographics. Mago is heading that way IMO. Toriko could head that way but hasn't yet IMO.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Here's my list of current running WSJ manga. Listed alphabetically.

  1. Akaboshi: Ikun Suikoden (ending this week tho')
  2. Ane Doki
  3. Bakuman
  4. Beelzebub
  5. Bleach
  6. Gintama
  7. Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
  8. Inumaru Dashi
  9. Kagijin
  10. Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal
  11. Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo
  12. Kuroko no Basket
  13. Medaka Box
  14. Naruto
  15. Nurarihyon no Mago
  16. One Piece
  17. Psyren
  18. Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar
  19. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
  20. Sket Dance
  21. Toriko

I'm uptodate with everything, except for the one's that are underlined, not all chapters have been scanlated yet. Besides Mago, I just recently started it and I'm stuck at chapter 8, since it's still unintresting, will continue it soon though.

Other WSJ manga I'm reading at the moment are;

Bold one's are on-hold because of lack of scans. :(
  • Bari Haken
  • City Hunter
  • Cyborg Jiichan G
  • Hand's
  • Hokuto no Ken
  • Hoshin Engi
  • Hunter x Hunter
  • Ichigo 100%
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Part 4)
  • K.O. Sen
  • Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
  • Muhyo to Rouji no Mahoritsu Sodan Jimusho
  • P2! Let's Play Ping Pong
  • Rash!!
  • Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo! Masaru-san
  • Slam Dunk
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!
 

wingman32x

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

1. Naruto
2. Bleach
3. Bakuman
4. Beelzebub
5. Ane Doki
6. Medaka
7. Kagijin


Those are in no particular order. I'm also Readcing one piece, but I'm SO far behind the current chapter (Only on chapter 50). I've taken a break from it for a while, it's just too long lol.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Psyren
Beelzebub
Naruto
Bleach
Bakuman
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think I'll be keeping track of these lists posted here, so far the score is this.

  1. Bleach with a total of 26 times listed.
  2. Bakuman with a total of 25 times listed.
  3. One Piece with a total of 24 times listed.
  4. Naruto with a total of 23 times listed.
  5. Psyren with a total of 19 times listed.
  6. Beelzebub with a total of 17 times listed.
  7. Reborn with a total of 16 times listed.
  8. Toriko, Mago with a total of 15 times listed.
  9. Akaboshi, Ane Doki, Medaka with a total of 14 times listed.
  10. Kuroko with a total of 9 times listed.
  11. Sket Dance with a total of 8 times listed.
  12. Gintama with a total of 7 times listed.
  13. Kagijin, Rilienthal with a total of 6 times listed.
  14. Jaguar with a total of 4 times listed.
  15. Shinigami with a total of 3 times listed.
  16. Inumaru, Kochikame, Wasshoi with 1 time listed.

Total of 28 different lists.

Would you look at that.. it's a top 10. :p 11..
Total of 24 different lists.

EDIT- Added Hinata Fan and y A M A T O's lists.
EDIT²- Added Rainier's, Drmke's and I'm_Akiyama's lists.
EDIT³- Added BBB Banana's, ZeroChrome, SearingHawk Koenosaki's lists
Another EDIT- Added Raikou's, Jose's, Koshi_Inaba's and Evil3ye's (this one is not posted in this topic tho', he didn't feel like posting it here, he just wanted me to add it. :p ) lists.
 
Last edited:

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

One Piece
Naruto
Reborn
Bleach
Kuroko
Hunter x Hunter (if you count it)

I've fallen way behind on Sket Dance, although I was reading it awhile back. I've read a little of Mago, too.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Besides Mago, I just recently started it and I'm stuck at chapter 8, since it's still unintresting, will continue it soon though.
Mago gets more interesting as you read. The first volume is mostly set up and introduction. Once the first arc starts it will really hook you.

BTW: Of the series I read the only one that I'm unenthusiastic about is Bleach. I don't hate it, I like it enough to keep reading but don't have strong feelings. It's the only series, out of the 50 or so series I'm reading, that I look at spoilers for.

I used to read Sket Dance, found most of it boring, so I stopped. I liked some arcs as much as any shonen. The episodic parts killed me.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Here's my list of current running WSJ manga. Listed alphabetically. Besides Mago, I just recently started it and I'm stuck at chapter 8, since it's still unintresting, will continue it soon though.
keep on reading. i didn't like first few chaps of mago too, and dropped it once in early chapters, but it gets better, and recent chaps are awesome.

interesting how Bakuman is the most read manga on this thread :D
seems like almost everyone on this thread reads it. i guess its because the topics are related.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Lack of enthusiam=Naruto(Makes me really sad because the potential is always there), Bleach, Kuroko, and Akaboshi.

i think i've seen Bakuman in most lists too.
Bakuman has been on a lot. That makes me happy, it's one of the few Jump series I would call a classic. It really is as good as some of the series I read from othe demographics. Mago is heading that way IMO. Toriko could head that way but hasn't yet IMO.
I think anyone that has at least read or heard of the gateway type series (The big 3, Dragonball, etc) ends up wanting to know a bit more about the magazine that hosts them. Bakuman does a pretty good job of supplying that information so I'm not surprised it managed to be on top so far.

Imo, the Kyoto arc is what Mago really needed to increase its clout. This feels much like its Chuunin exam, Varia, Arlong Park/Alabasta arc that puts the series on another level. I'd expect it to get on the cover again sometime in 2010. If we are lucky anyway. =/

I thought Toriko was reaching that with the Regal Mammoth, but I think its monumental arc may come when those Vice-chefs begin to move.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Mago gets more interesting as you read. The first volume is mostly set up and introduction. Once the first arc starts it will really hook you.

BTW: Of the series I read the only one that I'm unenthusiastic about is Bleach. I don't hate it, I like it enough to keep reading but don't have strong feelings. It's the only series, out of the 50 or so series I'm reading, that I look at spoilers for.

I used to read Sket Dance, found most of it boring, so I stopped. I liked some arcs as much as any shonen. The episodic parts killed me.
I know, introduction arcs are hard to get past.. for me at least. Had trouble with that with manga's like D. Gray Man, Hunter x Hunter and Kekkaishi too, as example, probably some more, but I can't remember those now.

Of the (WSJ) series I read, I'm actually not enthousiastic about any of them. Except for Toriko.

Although episodic manga are for my dislike too, I don't mind it with manga like Sket Dance.

keep on reading. i didn't like first few chaps of mago too, and dropped it once in early chapters, but it gets better, and recent chaps are awesome.

interesting how Bakuman is the most read manga on this thread :D
seems like almost everyone on this thread reads it. i guess its because the topics are related.
I don't do dropping. I never dropped a manga (or anything else) in my life, won't do so either. Putting something on-hold is something different, I have manga's (Air Gear, Hunter x Hunter) which have been put on-hold for at least a year or two now. I even had an anime, .Hack//SIGN, which I put on-hold because it's so plain freaking boring for 6 years. Although I continued it this week, watched it from the beginning of course since I couldn't remember shit. :p
 

y A M A T O

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
220
Reaction score
67
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

alphabetically:

Akaboshi (:()
Bakuman
Beelzebub
Bleach
Gantz ( not in Weekly Jump, but who cares)
Naruto
ONE PIECE
Psyren

Psyren and Bakuman the best new series in the list. I love Psyren, damn.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I drop manga. Won't mention any by name ;) Glad to hear you don't, Xadyu.

ITA about the Kyoto arc, this is definitely the flash point of the series. Not that the other arcs were bad. I expect Toriko to have a similar arc at some point, but it moves at a slower pace so I'll be patient. And yeah, Bakuman is basically this thread in manga form :XD I still want this to be the last series Obata/Ohba do for WSJ. I'd like them to remain a team; I'd just prefer them to switch anthologies. Leaving Shueisha and moving to Big Comic Spirits would be amazing. Since nobody leaves Shueisha or Kodansha for a Shogakukan magazine I'll live with Young Jump.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top