Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Reborn
One Piece
Bakuman
Jaguar
Toriko
Psyren
Bleach
Naruto

I can drop the last 3 any time though.

Read about 30 chaps of Mago, disliked it and dropped it. The only reason I still read the last 3 of my list is because once every 3 months a really good chapter is written. Didn't like Beel, and Ane Doke is OK when I have absolutely nothing better to do.

I do miss Hunter x Hunter and it sucks for D.Grayman to be monthly.
 
Last edited:

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I drop manga. Won't mention any by name ;) Glad to hear you don't, Xadyu.
Well, I went to some great hells thanks to that stubbornness, haha.
It's hard to force yourself to do things you really don't like.

But I did the same with One Piece for example, I didn't like it, yet I wasn't planning on dropping it since it wasn't that bad. Now.. it's one of my favorite manga. That all changed thanks to the Arlong Arc, holy crap, how I loved that arc. :p

I also dislikd Konjiki no Gash Bell! and the Law of Ueki because of their art. Ueki is now my all-time favorite manga, while Gash is taking the 2nd place. :p

Funny how things work out eventually, right? :p
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I put One Piece on hold for six months, right in the middle of the Baroque Works arc. Shame on me. I put Mago on hold after 2 chapters (more like temp dropped >.<), thought it was boring. So many people here rec'ed it I caught back up around chapter 25. Series that I know will get canceled are different. Akaboshi may have developed into something as good as an Asano Inio series by the end. But it's going to end anyways so why torture myself. Not that anything in Jump will ever be as good as Inio. Unless Inoue or Katsura come back.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Here's my WSJ list (better late than never):

-Naruto
-One Piece
-Bleach
-Nurarihyon no Mago
-Kuroko no Basket
-Akaboshi - Ibun Suikoden
-Ane Doki
-Medaka Box
-Kagijin
-Bakuman
-Toriko
-Psyren

Also, Hunter x Hunter if that's considered current or not....
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I put One Piece on hold for six months, right in the middle of the Baroque Works arc. Shame on me. I put Mago on hold after 2 chapters (more like temp dropped >.<), thought it was boring. So many people here rec'ed it I caught back up around chapter 25. Series that I know will get canceled are different. Akaboshi may have developed into something as good as an Asano Inio series by the end. But it's going to end anyways so why torture myself. Not that anything in Jump will ever be as good as Inio. Unless Inoue or Katsura come back.
I continued to read One Piece, never put it on-hold. Although I did that with Bleach and Naruto, after Ichigo had his first battle with Kenpachi Zaraki and Naruto right before the Shippuuden events begun.

I read the one-shot and chapter 1 of Mago after each other, then it took me a week to continue reading it, then I read until 6 or so, I had to force myself tho'. I've been on chapter 8 now for.. a week of two.. something like that. But I started other manga (Bloody Monday, Liar Game, Muhyo to Rouji) which I find more intresting, so Mago's on-hold for the moment, until I either finish Bloody Mago, or I'm uptodate with LG and MtR.

But that's why I started reading Mago btw, I had so much recommendations here and on other places, it might be good, but I'll take it slow from now on.

Here's my WSJ list (better late than never):
Also, Hunter x Hunter if that's considered current or not....
Although it's still currently serialized in WSJ, it's on hiatus and not running at the moment, so it's not considered current.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Also, Hunter x Hunter if that's considered current or not....
Will consider it for honorable mention. Were it running it would be on my list as well.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Funny how things work out eventually, right? :p
those stuff happen mostly in anime for me. I read the summaries and think they are really lame, but when I do pick them up when I had nothing else to do, those series became my all-time favorites.

happened sometimes for manga too, especially Kekkaishi and Hayate no Gotoku. Didn't like the beginning of both series, (especially hayate) but the recent chaps are just awesome.

, until I either finish Bloody Mago
:XD :D :D :D :D
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The beginning of Mago reminded me of Kekkaishi for the reason you just mentioned.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think I'll be keeping track of these lists posted here, so far the score is this.

  1. Bakuman, One Piece, Bleach with a total of 17 times listed.
  2. Naruto with a total of 14 times listed.
  3. Psyren, Beelzebub with a total of 13 times listed.
  4. Reborn!, Akaboshi with a total of 11 times listed.
  5. Ane Doki, Medaka, Toriko with a total of 9 times listed.
  6. Mago with a total of 9 times listed.
  7. Sket Dance with a total of 7 times listed.
  8. Kuroko with a total of 6 times listed.
  9. Gintama, Kagijin, Rilienthal with a total of 5 times listed.
  10. Jaguar with a total of 4 times listed.
  11. Shinigami with a total of 3 times listed.
  12. Inumaru, Kochikame, Wasshoi with 1 time listed.

Would you look at that.. it's a top 10. :p 11..
Total of 19 different lists
Even though more lists appear, overall, it doesn't change much. Those three on nr. 1 stay there since nearly everyone reads them, the difference between the 1st and 2nd place is 3 people, might not seem much, yet I can consider it a huge difference, Reborn and Akaboshi climed their way up, the more lists appeared, yet the nr.1-3 doesn't really change... Beelzebub joined Naruto before. Beelzebub, Psyren and Reborn stood alone in the top 3 before too. (Pushing the others out.)

those stuff happen mostly in anime for me. I read the summaries and think they are really lame, but when I do pick them up when I had nothing else to do, those series became my all-time favorites.

happened sometimes for manga too, especially Kekkaishi and Hayate no Gotoku. Didn't like the beginning of both series, (especially hayate) but the recent chaps are just awesome.
Well, I usually don't have that with anime's, although I went to some troubling boring anime, like the previously mentioned .hack//SIGN.

I actually enjoyed Kekkaishi's introduction arc more in the anime then in the manga. Kekkaishi is my favorite anime btw, that anime is so incredibly good! Sunrise did a good job on that.

The beginning of Mago reminded me of Kekkaishi for the reason you just mentioned.
Yes, both series deal with boring introduction arcs, although on a rather different way. Kekkaishi goes through more comedy regarding the introduction arc, while Mago focuses on Youkai history and some light dramatic moments.
 
Last edited:

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. Bakuman.
5. Mago
6. Beelzebub
7. Toriko
8. Psyren
9. Ane Doki
10. Medaka Box
11. Super Dog Rilienthal

^ That's not in any order.
I'm still in volume 1 of Mago and Psyren, only a few chapters of Rilienthal. Other than that I'm on the current chapter for every other series.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

You just shuffled the total list a bit with your selection. :p
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Shocked and saddened that so few of you read Gintama ;_; It and Neuro always seemed to get the short end of the stick amongst fandom while consistantly being great.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Shocked and saddened that so few of you read Gintama ;_; It and Neuro always seemed to get the short end of the stick amongst fandom while consistantly being great.
actually i always wanted to start reading Gintama,but the art just wasn't my thing,though i might start it tonight,i have too much free-time and i always liked comedy-action manga^^
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The only reason that I haven't starting reading Gintama is that there are missing English scans. After I read the first 12ish volumes I would have to skip some chapters and that's not for me. I'm sure it's a great and funny series but it will have to wait.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

actually i always wanted to start reading Gintama,but the art just wasn't my thing,though i might start it tonight,i have too much free-time and i always liked comedy-action manga^^
I love the art; some of the funniest jokes are visual.

Gintama is episodic enough that skipping chapters until VIZ puts those volumes out won't hurt.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

My list:

1. Gintama (although I prefer the anime cause the voice actors are great).
2. Bakuman (every week it gets me insane on how well it is)
3. Naruto (Well I like naruto as a character so I just keep reading even though it lost quality)
4. Akaboshi (sad it finished)
5. Mago (it will probably rise in my list)
6. Reborn (not as good as it used to be)
7. Ane doki (I like the characters development)
8. Bleach (still hoping that someday kubo wakes up and decides to make his story better)
9. Medaka box (I liked the begining but was disapointed by the development)

I started reading one piece but never got much deep in the history. It's on hold for now. Kuroko is also on hold but I like it very much.

Also started readin sket dance and belzebub but didn't likes it.


You guy can watch the gintama anime and then keep going with the manga since the anime has passed the gap in the scans and IMO the voice actors and art adaptation are a genius' work
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Shocked and saddened that so few of you read Gintama ;_; It and Neuro always seemed to get the short end of the stick amongst fandom while consistantly being great.
Qft! Just 6 people out 20...that's so sad.

Apart from that, I'm very surprised Bleach can keep up with great titles like Bakuman and One Piece. 'Cause this thread's always been (rightly) critical and discerning about Bleach.
Personally, I'm just following it half-assed out of habit.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Apart from that, I'm very surprised Bleach can keep up with great titles like Bakuman and One Piece. 'Cause this thread's always been (rightly) critical and discerning about Bleach.
Personally, I'm just following it half-assed out of habit.
it shows that reading =/= liking. :p
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

^ What Ruggia said.

Bleach is a starter manga. It has it's fans, in fairness to them it is a solid manga with a lot of good points. I half ass it too. It gets five minutes of my time each week, as I stare at those big wordless panels. I don't think much about it again until the next chapter comes out. That said I haven't even considered dropping it, as I did with Reborn and Eyeshield. I can't say anything negative about Naruto as I look forward to it every week, without really even thinking about it. Taking the week off made me realize it is such an important part of my routine. I'm a bit disappointed as DGM was the action series I am most attached to and now I can't include it in this conversation. Not that I'm unhappy about it moving, SQ should be a good home for it.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

my list:
Naruto
One Piece
Baku-man
Nurarihyon no Mago
Bleach
Beelzebub
Toriko
Psyren
Reborn!
Kuroko no Basket
Kagijin
Akaboshi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top