I didn't even realize my post had been responded to, but thanks Blai for responding in my stead.
Sorry about my last post, by the way. It was obviously overly sarcastic and I had forgotten all about it the day after (wasn't completely sober when I made the post). I was probably amused by it in that state, but I can understand other people aren't. If I offended anyone, then I'm sorry. Also, if you think it's not suitable to be in the thread, you can remove it, Blai.
On topic:
Organizized said:
Or, you know, nothing happens after you die because you won't be alive to experience it. Either way works.
That part is kinda true, though, and I stick with this. I'm not a follower of any religion at all, and I'm not very familiar with the details of each religions' view on the "afterlife", just the overall concept of a few of them. But from what I've gathered from those theories, I don't really buy them. They're not believable to me.
The reason I don't think it is possible to keep living after you die is, well, you die. "Death" meaning
"the permanent end of all life functions in an organism". Now, what makes us conscious at all, what makes it possible to experience feelings and emotions, is the senses and their connection to the brain. You remove the brain, these senses and emotions all cease to exist, and thus, your consciousness.
Now, most religions claim that's why we have a soul, because the soul is what lives on. But that doesn’t make sense to me either, because that means the soul has all these things as well. If we’re able to keep living as souls after we die, the soul must be capable of making us see, feel, smell, taste etc. (since that is what makes us experience things, and thus be conscious). But then, how come if someone goes blind, the soul doesn't enable him to still see? And if it isn't capable of this, it's not really you, since the senses are... well, you know what I mean by now.
I don't really want to get an Atheism vs. Religion discussion started here, because I've seen them too many times before and I know nothing good ever comes out of them and they never come to a reasonable end. The reason of this post is simply to clarify my previous, immature one. I hope I added something to the thread this time instead of being a sarcastic jerk.
And I gotta agree, it's kind of impossible not to mix religion into this subject, but I tried to at least not touch on that too much.