Seinen Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Vagabond 295-296 discussion

Well Inoue has, and will continue too I'm sure, take many liberties with history and the original story so them rushing off to duel at a young age could happen. Though him introducing Matahachi as the narrator almost makes it seem like he'll be using him to allow time skips that flow rather smoothly. So a chapter or two devoted to what Mushashi does during the nine years prior to the duel wouldn't surprise me. Though it was definitely be mostly text in my opinion, since having too many images would take up too much space if he plans to finish by the end of this year.

But in the end, I have no idea. :sweatdrop But this is Inoue we're talking about so I'm sure it will be well written. :amuse
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Vagabond 295-296 discussion

The recent chapters showing Musashi's training shows he's already starting to develop the two-sword technique, as opposed to earlier battles where he only used it out of desperation or as a reflex.

So it would also be interesting to see Musashi training more, like I'd wanna see in detail how he comes up with the stuff, or why. I don't really like a time-skip regarding that because when the fight with Kojiro comes, he'll have already mastered the technique.
 

DrTopo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

I can never make anything out of these sketches but it is good to know 297 is on the way. (although I was hoping that the Edited Manga team were too busy and would drop a few issues at the same time)
 

Dante Julius

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
65
Reaction score
116
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

Sorry, but no raws to be found, so not much we can do. We're looking though. Hopefully we don't have to wait until the next volume comes out.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: Vagabond 295-296 discussion

I think Musashi should attain a level at least close to Sasaki in terms of clean cut, with a branch...then developing Nito Ryuu, and after that the duel...Sasaki said(?) that Musashi is still lacking, so I see Musashi developing during their fight, but with the necessary base before that...the fight with Gonnosuke might actually occur if it's during the journey towards Sasaki...I just want musashi to lose, and it's said that Gonnosuke beats him...maybe the manga will end that way who knows
 

宮本寶藏

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
China
Re: Vagabond 295-296 discussion

I really don't get the Gonnosuke addiction that many seem to have..

In Inoue's Manga, he is an important character? ...

In real life, he and his disciples/followers "CLAIM" he defeated Musashi on a second round challenge. Where he invented this staff technique that Musashi has no way to defend against. Since Musashi have spared him during their first encounter, he spared Musashi's life in return...

Wikipedia has a passage where it was explained that Gonnosuke came up with a technique to defeat Musashi from a dream/seeing a "Divine Being".

So I'm suppose to believe that some skilled Martial Artist who claim to have defeated Takezo's dad, then taken down by Musashi with a single strike? And this loser came up with a technique that can defeat Musashi from tripping on acid?

In real life, historically speaking, I suspect Gonnosuke was just spreading rumors around so that his school/legacy (Shintō Musō-ryū) can carry on even after being defeated. IF and that's a big IF, Musashi and Gonnusuke even met at all.

Musashi probably won't develop Niten Ichi Ryu, even if he does, the Manga might not mention it at all.

If you noticed the style of this Manga, a Romanticized biography of Musashi, doesn't really focus on techniques and names associated with them.

Take Sasaki for example, he used Tsubame Geishi several times in the story now. None of which anyone, be it narrative or actual dialogue have ever mentioned what it is called. It's just, the way Sasaki use it, anyone who knows a bit of real Japanese samurai legends will immediately recognize it.

Same thing with Musashi. He periodically uses both blades, but never mentions why. Manga doesn't really go into detail to explain he is actually developing some kind of technique that requires two blades to execute. This is Inoue's style and I seriously doubt that we will see "Tsubame Geishi" or "Niten Ichi-ryu" mentioned... ever.

If you noticed, this Manga portrays very realistic events and confrontations. And in reality, even if you developed some kind of unique skill, you wouldn't scream it out loud then perform said technique.

i.e. Naruto/Bleach or (insert your main stream Shonen Anime title here)

Naruto: "Fūton: Rasenshuriken~~~~~~!!!!!!! AHHHHHhh!!!"
(Fires Fūton: Rasenshuriken)

The above Naruto/DBZ/Bleach or whatever usual scene showing some super hero unleashing a devastating attack but for whatever reason "warns" their opponent before they attack -_-;

It's not going to happen in Vagabond lol...
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

God, those color pages look fantastic! Maybe we will get some Mushashi x Kojiro interaction...or maybe that's asking too much.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Vagabond 295-296 discussion

uh... could anyone refresh my memory... who is Gonnosuke please? :sweatdrop
 

宮本寶藏

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
China
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

With respects to the English Scan and Translation team.

Vagabond 297 is out in Chinese. If anyone is interested in looking at some Chinese pages, go here: http://www.bengou.com/080820/lkx008082012/1279505847176/1279505847176.html

Mods and Scan teams may take this off as you please, I'm just here to notify some other teams have already gotten the raw.

Regards,
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: Vagabond 295-296 discussion

^^Gonnosuke is the one with the staff, who challenged Sasaki, because he thought he was the most powerful fighter...after that he went on the trip along with Sasaki and Ito...

@宮本寶藏
well, it's not really an addiction, but it's more like a wish to see Musashi lose:D...
Anyway he is the only one even if in selfclaims and rumors that developed a technique that Musashi had no counter for...that would be pretty spectacular to see, and now that he has been introduce in the manga I don't see why exclude him

Of course this is Inoue's story and the way he built things up, Sasaki might be the final opponent and the epitome of skill, regarding Musashi's development, but a ray of hope will always exist in my heart:D

Niten Ichi Ryuu is an important thing that was developed by Musashi and it was mentioned in the manga why Musashi uses both blades sometimes...it's a memento of his father's Jitte techniques...so Niten Ichi Ryuu is somehow a positive element of the legacy his father left...so I think it's important
 
Last edited:

Duzy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
184
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

Just an update. The link given by the poster above will provide you with 298 and 299 as well.
 

宮本寶藏

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
China
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

Good looking out bro, didn't even bother to check recently, gonna take a look right now...

Too bad I can't read Japanese, and being able to read Chinese only led me to these sites but still waiting on the English scan team to do the translations :D
<hr noshade size="1">
Dude, omfg, I just finished 297, 298 and 299 now in Chinese translation.

This is friggin' bad ass, Kojiro got taken out with 1 hit....

By a woman... wahahahhahahah

Tsubame Geishi that... orz o_o
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarius

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
66
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

I can't read Chinese at all, so would you mind shortly summarising the dialogue parts ?
Also, who's that fat samurai guy (I haven't finished reading/watching yet, as my connection is slow today) ?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

Please remember, when posting spoilers (even translated text since we don't have a spoiler thread) place all spoiler material in spoiler tags. Thanks for your cooperation.

~Drmke
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Vagabond Hang Out Thread

I was rereading Vagabond from chapter 1, and was paying more attention to Inoue's art style.

I noticed that since it was so detailed, and so few tones used, does he ever do the manga with assistants or does he do everything himself?
Yep. Inoue has five assistants according to this interview; bare in mind the date of the interview, the number of assistants may have changed by now. The art is definitely the main reason why I'm still reading Vagabond tbh. Inoue definitely has a unique style. I love the scenery details as much as the character designs/fighting panels. Awesome stuff.

There's also a really cool interview with Inoue and Oda! :worship Check it out here. I thought some of you might like it. :amuse
 

宮本寶藏

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
China
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

I think 297, 298, and 299 mainly focus on Kojiro.

He meets the guy who hired him, and there I think 4 or 5 other instructors working there.

So Kojiro is supposed to duel with all of them to prove his worth.

The fat Samurai is actually a woman, and she is one of the instructors there.

She took out Kojiro with a single hit, but that wasn't much of a serious fight. It's more like, he got knocked out by a lady because he never meant to fight her one on one.

So, I'm not sure what to summarize, but I guess I just hit a few important parts of the story.
<hr noshade size="1">
Vagabond 300 is out on the site I provided the link for above posts... FYI.

Here is a quick summary:

Kojiro gets knocked out by the ugly female instructor. Everyone is surprised that the instructor was a woman.

They said Ganryu is famous for being a womanizer, but couldn't believe Kojiro would go that low and like a ugly woman such as her. Later on they speculate that Kojiro was really interested in the Cross necklace she was wearing, so it sort of threw him off guard.

Another instructor of the family walks in. He maybe the head instructor or whatever, I'm guessing because everyone seems to have made respect for him. He does not like Kojiro, because Kojiro is very rude. He does not behave politely in front of everyone, including head of the clan. The guy who introduced Kojiro as the new instructor claims that they are the ones lacking politeness, because they did not show up on time to accept Kojiro into the clan.

Anyway, words exchanged back and forth. Basically, a lot of the folks in the clan feels that a deaf person without the ability to talk cannot be given an instructor position.

In the end, the head of the clan asks Sasaki to show them what he's all about with his sword, instead of talking.

So, expect mad fucking duels on 301 and 302. Weather forecast says 60% chance we shall see Tsubame Gaeshi cracking heads and breaking faces.
 
Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

Oh didn't even know that 298 and 299 were out before, been waiting a long time for those. Kojiro is funny as hell in 299 and the art is top notch as always. I absolutely love the first few pages of 300.
 

宮本寶藏

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
China
Re: Vagabond 297 Discussion

Yeah, 298, 299 and also today I see 300 on there.

I gave 298 and 299 a brief summary, as well as 300.

I have to apologize for keep using this guy, that guy and what not. As I am able to read Chinese, but I cannot read Japanese. So even though I can read the character's names in Chinese, I don't know how to translate it back into Japanese Hiragana.

It's really funny sometimes, in English, Kojiro's name is spelled "Sasaki Kojiro".

In Japanese, I believe it is written as "佐々木 小次郎"

In Chinese, it is written as "佐佐木 小次郎". Other than 1 letter, the two written forms are almost exactly identical. However, the pronunciation and meaning is a totally different thing though.
 
Last edited:
Top