- Joined
- Mar 18, 2009
- Messages
- 200
- Reaction score
- 30
- Age
- 36
- Gender
- Female
- Country
-
Re: xxxHolic 213 Discussion (Final Chapter)
Full thoughts: I guess you could say I’ve been having a mixture of feelings. One one hand, I am totally disappointed. Not only was there no resolution to the fact that Yuuko-san had not come back (the thing was merely a dream- but more on that later) but nothing resolute had come out of this chapter. I was extremely hopeful to at least get a glimpse of her, or know if Watanuki’s waiting had actually paid off. Nope. Not only that, but finally we understand the meaning of the Egg she gave to Doumeki which is a cruel, cruel task. In the beginning, Yuuko-san only tells Doumeki that “nothing will be born out of that egg.” While ‘nothing’ relates to tangible, it seems that the egg is to be used for Watanuki to forget Yuuko. She also told Doumeki some time ago that he would be the only one to know when to use it, as he shared Watanuki’s right eye and they had become closer.
The biggest shock of course, was learning that 100 years had passed by since the event of Yuuko’s death, and Doumeki had passed away, leaving a very uncannily look alike grandson behind. While this saddens me immensely, as that must mean Himawari-chan (WHO NEVER SHOWED UP IN THIS FUCKING CHAPTER WTAF) must have passed away too, it also gave me relief that the Doumeki never paired up with Watanuki and that it sort of set and end to that hope (as much as fangirls all over are disappointed.) I’ve always shipped Yuuko and Watanuki despite the interesting relationship they have had (some think of it more as a mentor/student or a mother/son relationship, but I thought it was too personal for that). I am just extremely mad that none of the other semi-main characters played any resolution in all of this. Himawari wasn’t there. Zashiki Warashi wasn’t there. Kudakitsune wasn’t there. It definitely gives off this feeling that CLAMP suddenly burst it’s bubble and said “Oh, we’ve got to end this now before the serialization of GATE 7” and they did.
In spite of all of this, I definitely feel relief. It’s an open ending. Watanuki continues to wait for Yuuko. He has enough power to get out of the cage. In that meaning, it is hopeful. He is able to move freely around. And he did see Yuuko again. Which of course, brings us to the dream.
We’ve all known that a major theme in xxxHOLiC is dreams. There is a particular example when Harada-san tells Watanuki of the Butterfly Dream. Once there was a boy, who dreamed he was a butterfly, flying, being free. But then he woke up, and asked himself “Was I dreaming of becoming a butterfly? Or am I the butterfly, dreaming that I have become a man?” Later on, Yuuko-san tells Watanuki- “It’s the same dream.” Lastly, right before Yuuko vanishes, she tells Watanuki “If you dream/wish hard enough, it can be a reality.”
Which brings me to ask. Who’s dream was it? Was it Yuuko-san’s dream? Or was it Watanuki’s dream? Or are they the same thing, two people wishing for each other’s continual existence, only hoping that one day it comes true? It definitely is a mindwracking question. But like all things xxxHOLiC and CLAMP, there is more meaning than to what meets the eye. In the end of the chapter, we see the butterfly and the bird fly off together. Watanuki’s symbol is the Bird (Tsubasa~) and Yuuko-san’s the Buttefly (change). It is this sort of resolution that while not completely understandable at first, lends a hand in completing the circle.
Either way, I’m somewhat satisfied. This open ending wasn’t great, but it wasn’t the worst. And it leaves us to hope that somewhere in the midst of CLAMP’s new works, we will see Watanuki again. And maybe, just maybe, Yuuko-san too.
Full thoughts: I guess you could say I’ve been having a mixture of feelings. One one hand, I am totally disappointed. Not only was there no resolution to the fact that Yuuko-san had not come back (the thing was merely a dream- but more on that later) but nothing resolute had come out of this chapter. I was extremely hopeful to at least get a glimpse of her, or know if Watanuki’s waiting had actually paid off. Nope. Not only that, but finally we understand the meaning of the Egg she gave to Doumeki which is a cruel, cruel task. In the beginning, Yuuko-san only tells Doumeki that “nothing will be born out of that egg.” While ‘nothing’ relates to tangible, it seems that the egg is to be used for Watanuki to forget Yuuko. She also told Doumeki some time ago that he would be the only one to know when to use it, as he shared Watanuki’s right eye and they had become closer.
The biggest shock of course, was learning that 100 years had passed by since the event of Yuuko’s death, and Doumeki had passed away, leaving a very uncannily look alike grandson behind. While this saddens me immensely, as that must mean Himawari-chan (WHO NEVER SHOWED UP IN THIS FUCKING CHAPTER WTAF) must have passed away too, it also gave me relief that the Doumeki never paired up with Watanuki and that it sort of set and end to that hope (as much as fangirls all over are disappointed.) I’ve always shipped Yuuko and Watanuki despite the interesting relationship they have had (some think of it more as a mentor/student or a mother/son relationship, but I thought it was too personal for that). I am just extremely mad that none of the other semi-main characters played any resolution in all of this. Himawari wasn’t there. Zashiki Warashi wasn’t there. Kudakitsune wasn’t there. It definitely gives off this feeling that CLAMP suddenly burst it’s bubble and said “Oh, we’ve got to end this now before the serialization of GATE 7” and they did.
In spite of all of this, I definitely feel relief. It’s an open ending. Watanuki continues to wait for Yuuko. He has enough power to get out of the cage. In that meaning, it is hopeful. He is able to move freely around. And he did see Yuuko again. Which of course, brings us to the dream.
We’ve all known that a major theme in xxxHOLiC is dreams. There is a particular example when Harada-san tells Watanuki of the Butterfly Dream. Once there was a boy, who dreamed he was a butterfly, flying, being free. But then he woke up, and asked himself “Was I dreaming of becoming a butterfly? Or am I the butterfly, dreaming that I have become a man?” Later on, Yuuko-san tells Watanuki- “It’s the same dream.” Lastly, right before Yuuko vanishes, she tells Watanuki “If you dream/wish hard enough, it can be a reality.”
Which brings me to ask. Who’s dream was it? Was it Yuuko-san’s dream? Or was it Watanuki’s dream? Or are they the same thing, two people wishing for each other’s continual existence, only hoping that one day it comes true? It definitely is a mindwracking question. But like all things xxxHOLiC and CLAMP, there is more meaning than to what meets the eye. In the end of the chapter, we see the butterfly and the bird fly off together. Watanuki’s symbol is the Bird (Tsubasa~) and Yuuko-san’s the Buttefly (change). It is this sort of resolution that while not completely understandable at first, lends a hand in completing the circle.
Either way, I’m somewhat satisfied. This open ending wasn’t great, but it wasn’t the worst. And it leaves us to hope that somewhere in the midst of CLAMP’s new works, we will see Watanuki again. And maybe, just maybe, Yuuko-san too.

