- Joined
- Jan 31, 2008
- Messages
- 1,034
- Reaction score
- 872
- Gender
- Female
- Country
-
The thing is that... He doesn't need to work.
The same way Toriyama doesn't really need to work, Togashi doesn't need to work anymore either.
By releasing the Complete Edition of Yu Yu, god knows how much money he made off of it... Couple with his wife's release of the New Edition of Sailormoon, I'm pretty sure it's more than enough for them to take it easy for a few years.
One source of income for Japanese mangaka is the publishing royalties, which is usually 10~15% off the Cover Price. (I'm fairly sure Togashi is getting the top rate 15%, but for the sake of argument, let's go with 10%).
If you take HxH 27 as an example, the retail cover price (without tax) is 400 yen, assuming that he sold a total of 1 million copies (reasonable, since the Oricon tracking already had it at nearly 900k before going off the rankings), he would have earned:
400*1million*10% = 40 million yen
That's roughly 485k USD from HxH 27 alone (of course, you still need to pay taxes and everything, but still...).
And we're not even counting the Yu Yu Complete Edition or his wife's income...
So, you see why he doesn't need to work unless he wants to?
The same way Toriyama doesn't really need to work, Togashi doesn't need to work anymore either.
By releasing the Complete Edition of Yu Yu, god knows how much money he made off of it... Couple with his wife's release of the New Edition of Sailormoon, I'm pretty sure it's more than enough for them to take it easy for a few years.
One source of income for Japanese mangaka is the publishing royalties, which is usually 10~15% off the Cover Price. (I'm fairly sure Togashi is getting the top rate 15%, but for the sake of argument, let's go with 10%).
If you take HxH 27 as an example, the retail cover price (without tax) is 400 yen, assuming that he sold a total of 1 million copies (reasonable, since the Oricon tracking already had it at nearly 900k before going off the rankings), he would have earned:
400*1million*10% = 40 million yen
That's roughly 485k USD from HxH 27 alone (of course, you still need to pay taxes and everything, but still...).
And we're not even counting the Yu Yu Complete Edition or his wife's income...
So, you see why he doesn't need to work unless he wants to?
They've both been pretty much bottom dwellers their entire lives, barely leaving the bottom 5 if at all. The only thing that could possibly save them is if the new series flop hard... I'm really interested to see how Dois Sol does, especially after Light Wing's failure. I've heard Dois Sol is a lot better, but I'm thinking some may have been simply turned off by soccer manga altogether and not even give it a try.

Well, I hope it stays out of the bottom 5 next week and beyond, and not because of having a CP.
and wow...medaka really fell there..