Shounen Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

diyana19

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
[td]
Volume 1
[sizept=7]Released 7/15/2011[/sizept]
[/td]
Silver Spoon
By: Arakawa Hiromu
Genre: School Life
Serialized In: Shounen Sunday
Mangaupdates

A Young boy named Yugo Hachiken apparently aspire to live separated from his family. So he took the chance by enrolling to an agriculture school, one which required its students to live at dormitory. He thinks, with his talent in studying, no problem will arise no matter what kind of school he goes to. But he's proven wrong. Grown up as all-easy-to-get city boy, he is forced to uncover not-too-convenient truth about agricultural life. Enjoy the story of Hachiken, as he trying to keep up with his friends, farmers' heirs who are already accustomed to hardworking farm life.


http://animeshinbun.com/news/728930/fmas-hiromu-arakawa-starts-silver-spoon-school-manga

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/26/fullmetal-alchemist-creators-new-manga-is-silver-spoon/

Plot: About a boy who attends the school. This is the only plot known so far.. the rest has not been revealed.

what i like is it is a weekly manga, unlike her previous work 'Fullmetal Alchemist'. ^________^
 
Last edited by a moderator:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

The general consensus on 2ch is that it was good, interesting, some said the best chapter of the week in Sunday. I'm happy to hear that and can't wait to actually read it! :yay

Anyway, here are some spoilers.
Spoiler & TranslationVerification: Fake
Source: 2ch, MH
Credits: ???, saladesu

88 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2011/04/01(金) 00:23:12.01 ID:iS8ZyWCq0
ネタバレ
主人公は女
進学校に余裕で入れるほど賢かった双子の兄が
何故か突然低偏差値の農業高校への入学を決めた挙句に失踪したため
その謎を解くために男装して高校に入ったというところから始まる
クラスメートの女子に正体がばれてしまうが百合っ子だったので気に入られる
ラストページで牛が「この姿をあいつには見せるわけにはいかない」と人語でつぶやいたところで次週へ続く

The protagonist is a girl.
The premise is that she dresses as a boy to enter her (elder) twin brother's high school. Her brother is really smart and could continue into higher education easily, but he disappeared after suddenly deciding to enter a second-rate agricultural high school for no reason. In order to solve the mystery, the sister goes to the school (in disguise as mentioned).
She is found out by her female classmates.
On the last page, the cow mutters (in human speech) : "There's no way I can show her this form".


Spoiler & TranslationVerification: Confirmed
Source: 2ch, MH
Credits: ???, saladesu

93 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2011/04/01(金) 22:03:14.28 ID:98aSsEb/0
フラゲした。ネタバレ

体育教師アームストロング

普通に面白かった。頑張れサンデー

95 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2011/04/01(金) 22:09:39.15 ID:98aSsEb/0
普通に外見がアームストロングなだけで黒T着て台詞も普通だったけどな

PE teacher looks like Armstrong but wears a black T-shirt and his lines are normal

The cow is a big fave, too, apparently :XD
 
Last edited:

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Oooohhh...... now that is awesome hype from 2ch!!! hopefully a group picks it up real soon. Mangastream's planning on releasing it but it looks like they're understaffed. Maybe you could help them out, Sal?? or is your group going to release it???

I think I'm gonna miss an "Ed" character. Kinda hope Arakawa makes a character similar to him. And man, Arakawa is a genius!!
from the preview pics we all thought it was going to be a guy (protagonist), but instead it was a girl!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Haha, I don't have a group :p Nor the time right now :sweat Seeing how MangaStream is taking on even more projects (Skip Beat), I think if they've said they are going to do it, they will :)

I am definitely going to miss Ed! And Al, and well, everyone in FMA really :scry But, I guess we will need to see the characters in Gin no Saji to really say. Maybe they'll be awesome too :3 I can't help but feel some characters look similar to the FMA characters, like the guy in the while singlet/shirt (*mind suddenly blanks out*) looks a lot like Kimblee.

The guy turning out to be a girl thing... Kinda sounds like Hana Kimi or Ouran ^^ I'm interested to see Arakawa's take on this pretty common trope.
 

PaperMaster-Yosh

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
62
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

So is this gonna be like MX0? By that I mean the talking Cow gives the impression the second-rate high school is "special", and I foresee abilities being introduced. And since it's an agriculture school I expect germ warfare. :kyuubi I picked the Kyuubi emo because it kinda looks like a micro-organisms but not as cute as the micro-organisms from tales of agriculture.
 
Last edited:

Magnus

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
313
Reaction score
63
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I am aware that this new series is likely to become something more than good, but come on, again with the "girl disguised as a boy" thing ?
Apart from that, still very very eager to see some raw coming up.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

The raw is out, and it looks like that spoiler is...
Fake...

It's just a pretty ordinary agriculture manga. Maybe Arakawa is trying to do a Moyashimon in Sunday...
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I just read raw of first chapter. It is pretty good (totally different from Fullmetal Alchemist); I'll keep follow this series and see how Arakawa manages to keep it interesting.

Also, it is totally different from the spoiler (except PE teacher part).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Favorite manga: Full Metal Alchemist

Favorite Genre: Slice of life/school life

Slice of life/school life manga by artist of Full Metal Alchemist? I'm intrigued. Good for Hiromu, not regurgitating another action manga. Hopefully she brings the same intelligence to Silver Spoon that she brought to FMA.
 

Magnus

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
313
Reaction score
63
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Glad that the girl in disguise thing turned out to be fake.
In the last pages there are one or two panels with the word "Geegle" instead of "Google", as well as the Bakuman anime did, going from Jump to Jack.
Now I wonder what the title is referring to, at first it reminded me of psychic powers, spoon bending and stuff like that. I know it is still too soon to get the meaning of the title but it really intrigues me.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Well, darn. I will update the spoiler verification info then :sweat Finestela says its "ordinary", Negative says it's "pretty good"... I'm not sure what to think now :s

I'm wondering about the title as well... The silver part is kinda interesting since it seems to follow from metal from FMA. But I'm sure, being Arakawa, there's a deeper meaning to it.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Now I wonder what the title is referring to, at first it reminded me of psychic powers, spoon bending and stuff like that. I know it is still too soon to get the meaning of the title but it really intrigues me.
I'm wondering about the title as well... The silver part is kinda interesting since it seems to follow from metal from FMA. But I'm sure, being Arakawa, there's a deeper meaning to it.
In English expression, silver spoon means someone who born into a wealthy family; as an adjective, it means someone who has a prosperous background or is of a well-to-do family environment. So, maybe Hachiken (main character) is from wealthy family.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

In Arakawa's case, ordinary = pretty good. She can take overdone concepts and completely invigorate them. The Philosopher's Stone has been done hundreds of times in the past millennium (heck, even Harry Potter did it), but she did something completely different and exciting with it.

And Arakawa is from a rural area, so she definitely has a lot of insight into what she's writing.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I'm not trying to slight Arakawa. Ordinary is just my expression for "not-talking-cow-magical" type of story.

And I'd think the comparison to Moyashimon alreadys says what I think about it, no?
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Well that was quite a change from Fullmetal Alchemist. It's still kind of hard to tell exactly what this story is going to be about. I suppose it could just be a light comedy school-life set on an agricultural school.

The first chapter had it's funny moments, but I honestly wasn't "wowed" or anything. Here's hoping that Arakawa can bring it on a weekly basis and keep us interested. I am a huge FMA fan so I really want this new series to succeed.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

It's hard to tell what direction it'd be going by looking at the first chapter.

It can go the way of pure school comedy/gag (like Sket Dance?)
Or it can go to some sort of informative/educational comedy like Moyashimon.

Which ever path it chooses, I doubt it'll ever achieve the succsss of FMA... It can be successful, yes, but not wildly super popular like FMA.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

It looks like it's going to be a slice-of-life, laugh-at-the-main-character's-misfortune manga like Zetsubou-Sensei. I hope Arakawa can keep things fresh so we don't get bored. I think she can do it!

There's a lot of characters for just one chapter though. I'm impressed. And the P.E. Teacher... just the P.E. Teacher...
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

But don't we have Hayate for that in WSS already? :p
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Was alright, but not something I think I'd follow weekly yet.

Gonna keep on eye on it though to see how things turn out.
 
Top