Shounen Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Just read the first chapter. It was alright. Nothing exciting yet but I'll keep reading to see if it picks up. Main character is likable and the setting is humorous so I think it could turn out quite well.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

This manga seems enjoyable. I liked how the students were talking about cloning research. Few hours ago I was talking with a couple of guys (we're all in physics) on how to make a viable lightsaber. In school, you talk about things like this.

I really enjoy the commentary on the industry and how the students talk. Plus, feel like I'm getting in touch with what those people are doing at Davis!

The plot seems to be that the main character will go into the sciences angle, not the farming angle.
 

Samui

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
151
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Chapter 3 is out. Another hilarious chapter :lmao
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Yup, me too. I think this manga was intended to be something straight out of a sunday comic strip you see in a newspaper. Something not too serious but just some lighthearted comedy that makes you feel refreshed everytime when you read it.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What a great chapter!
I think Tamako is becoming my favourite character.She's just so much win!
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ch.3 is definitely the funniest one so far :p
A bunch of guys, hiding at a corner, reading a magazine... XD
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
After I read the first chapter I was kind of disappointed, because I had expected something awesome (like FMA). But now that I've read three chapters I see that this will be a complete different manga, which is good. Chapter 2 and 3 have been hilarious!

Funny that Arakawa is making a manga about farming, after many years of portraying herself like a cow x) And if I have understood everything right, she has lots of experience with farming from younger age?
 

raikou

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
That's right. She also said that she took the theory of equivalent exchange from her farming days. She probably pick this theme for her new manga because she has many knowledge about this things.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
"Who needs women when you have cows!?" :rofl

zomg that part where the guys were huddling in the shed reading the magazine was hilarious. I was NOT expecting them to be looking at a cow magazine/directory at all :XD Nice one, Arakawa-sensei! :thumbs

The buddha-lookalike reminded me of Saint Onii-san~ :XD

Aside from the humor which was really good this chapter, once again I have to say that I'm disappointed that there is again no direction given to the overall story. But somehow, I feel like Arakawa-sensei might also be making a point with the gags she added this time, something about not judging a book by its cover (or a manga by its first few chapters :p). The guys weren't reading porn as most people would have expected, the guy on the white horse who was like a prince on a white horse come to save Hachiken turned out looking like Buddha, the white horse turned out to be "ugly", the general misconceptions about horses...
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Speaking of Tamako, I bet that when they get summer break we won't see her for a few chapters and then she'll make her appearance... and no one will recognize her since she will be all thin. :)

About the Silver Spoon over the cafeteria entrance:
I think it is some kind of an award. If you google silver spoon one of the possible links is for Silver Spoon Awards. They seem to be given to very high quality restaurants and bars... implying this cafeteria may serve a lot more than what they served for breakfast in chapter 2.

Either that or the chef won the award and took it with them to the school?
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
^But if she became thin they couldn't crack egg puns around her anymore xD. Her name is "Tamako" after all.

I think what I like the most about this series so far is the characterization. All of the characters have had really distinct personalities so far, and that's great. I don't think the plot would have interested me alone.

I didn't know about the Silver Spoon Awards! Could it be hinting that Yugo (lol I had to reread the chapter to remember his name xD) will become immersed into food politics? Tamako's conversation with her brother seems to be hinting this as well.
 

BakaHaze

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
504
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Really funny and interesting start, though I wonder where this is all going?

Can't wait to see how this develops.

Eg. Turns into a cooking show. :XD

Whaaat?
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I liked the first chapter yet felt slightly disappointed. However, reading these latest chapters have made me really enjoy this series! As far as I know, the direction that this series is leaning towards is "finding your dream".
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I agree, it seems like Hachiken has as much of a clue as we do about why he's even in the school. I figure somewhere along the way he will find his motivation and his dream. I wonder what kind of dream it would be. From what we've seen so far of this series, everything seems very "ordinary" - I mean, nothing big or drastic, unlike in FMA - so either his dream will also be very ordinary, or his dream will be something that really takes us by surprise and presents a plot twist... Or something.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I really liked the scene where Hachiken got on the horse and felt the height.The words and the panels Arakawa used described the feeling very convincingly.I almost had the feeling i was Hachiken himself:sweatdrop
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Chapter 5 was a little better than the last few, specifically the few funny panels at the beginning and the tease at the end hinting that we will learn Hachiken's motives in the next chapter. Though I definitely could have gone without the boring race and farming lesson that took up most of the chapter.
 

BakaHaze

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
504
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
My fave quote this time round is "stop being so obsessed with first..."

Really does reflect Hachiken's personality.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
I am really curious as to what Hachiken's reasoning was to enter farming school. It might set up the tone for the rest of the series.

I loved the easter "egg" in the background. Too bad she didn't hang out with Hachiken and the rest. =(
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I finally read the chapter~ It looks like chapter 6 will be one to look out for because they're probably FINALLY going to touch on Hachiken's reasons for going to agricultural school. I'm really interested to know what that is.

The humor was pretty good this chapter as well, the horse race was rather funny, especially when the most unexpected (to the uninformed) things happened like the horses stopping before the second mound. Loved the easter "egg" (love how you put it, Teeba :XD) in the background too! I thought they should have noticed her, she wasn't that inconspicuous!
 
Top