Shounen Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Chapter 6 was released by Red Hawk :)

So we weren't really given Hachiken's full reason for going to Yezo, though we know that for some reason he doesn't want to go home, wants to be as far away from home as possible. He mentioned something about the pressures of real life society, so perhaps it was the pressure of having to do well academically, that kind of thing. I can identify with that, I think it's something quite prevalent in many Asian societies unfortunately. Although, he was shown to be good academically so maybe it's something else - bullying, family problems...? Anyway, I suppose Hachiken's full reasons will slowly come to light bit by bit.

I kinda liked the parts where they talked about how the only "mistake" farm animals make is being born, and after that they have no direction over their life and have only 2 choices - to be useful or to be killed. It's so sad but true :( I think it'll be indirect pep talks like this that will awaken Hachiken to his real purpose (something I assume he has yet to discover) for being at Yezo.
 

ca12nag3

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
3,261
Reaction score
659
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
I wonder if the mangaka can pull this off and make this story run long + be popular. It certainly is a different typ of story to most.
 

ErosVp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
391
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
These last chapters are too serious.... Some people must think it's unpleasant to deal with such harsh truths.
I hope the next chapter can havemore comedy!
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Too serious?.....I'm actually liking this.Finally this is getting a bit darker.Shigeru and the rest will most likely be saved by Sumio,so don't worry about their wellbeing,it's still a Shonen.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I think it's striking a pretty good balance between the serious, darker stuff, and the comedy. That's something I think Arakawa-sensei can also be commended for doing in FMA, and that was one of the primary reasons why I loved FMA so much. I can't say I hold the same love for Silver Spoon yet, though. I do also wonder how popular this series will be, though perhaps in chapters to come things may change.

@Googz: The second part of your post appears to be talking about Enigma, instead of Silver Spoon :XD
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
@salad
Oh yeah,wrong thread:XD

Anyway,i think that serious stuff is what makes slice-of-life the most interesting,especially when someone like Arakawa does it with humor.
About this chapter,I like how we see their friendship developing through arguments.
 

BakaHaze

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
504
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Lol at Googz. I was just like, wait, there's also a Sumio and Shigeru in Silver Spoon too? (Wasn't paying too much attention to names other than Hachiken...:XD) Coincidence much...

I think Silver Spoon's doing great so far, great drama needs some comic relief to break up the suspense.

Some rather interesting comments about "Being useful or die" though...
 

Magnus

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
313
Reaction score
63
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Wow, I wasn't expecting to get a glimpse of Hachiken's background.
And unlike some other titles, the humour here is truly funny and witty.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
So, Hachiken is the classic example of a burnout student. As soon as he reached high school level, he didn't know where he wanted to go and just wanted out. I think he did well academically and wasn't a slouch, but he just got pushed too far too fast. Perhaps by parents. It's not unprecedented.

I would prefer some of the humor back, though I understand the necessity of reflecting on the purpose of Hachiken. In any industry involving animals - agriculture, meat, veterinarian, etc - you have to accept that the animals are what they are. We all feed off death, even vegetarians.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I agree that the mood of the manga is really peculiar and I must said it's quite enjoyable to read something original such as this. I wonder if she could have afford making such a manga if it was not for the success of FMA.

As for Hachiken, it really looks like some family business. I'm not sure it is related to school since his parents don't care where he is going next
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I agree that the mood of the manga is really peculiar and I must said it's quite enjoyable to read something original such as this. I wonder if she could have afford making such a manga if it was not for the success of FMA.

As for Hachiken, it really looks like some family business. I'm not sure it is related to school since his parents don't care where he is going next
I think she could.It's not like she is a one-trick pony.I read her one-shots and they're great as well.She's a splendid manga-ka,so she would probably get away with it.Anyway,after FMA's success,drawing a slice-of-life like this was the best thing to do.Nobody expects better action and it's good to lower FMA's hype.I assume she will make another big hit after Gin no Saji with the comfort of not being compared with the past as much as she would be now.
 

ErosVp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
391
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I was saying I would like this chapter to have more comedy, and it had! I laughed at pork bowl! Haha
It was a surprise to so many cold-hearted girls though, girls shoud be inocent...
But what was interesting was the hint that Hachiken has older brothers more talented than him and overshadowed him.
 

kazamakj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2006
Messages
244
Reaction score
1
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
Guess them being born and raised on farms made them immune to the fact that animals die for food. But Pork Bowl was really funny hahaha.
 

BakaHaze

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
504
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I...I never knew...

Poor pigs...castration...

*shudder*

Oh well. I still think it was stupid of Hacihken to try and name Pork Bowl...Attachment is never good for food.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Hmm, so I guess we gotta wait for the next chapter to find out a little bit more about Hachiken.

Poor pigs... I never knew male pigs had to be castrated for their meat to be more tender :darn Piglets are so cute, dammit ;A; Pork boooowl!! 3 weeks more till he becomes bacon :/ it was indeed silly of Hachiken to even think of forming a bond with something that would so soon become food. But I guess like the girls, the more you do it, the more desensitized you become :s

I also found the part about the runt not wanting to improve himself interesting - like ErosVp mentioned, it probably is foreshadowing something that will later be revealed about Hachiken.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I didn't know either for the castration. I knew that you do it for cow, also it has become rare and for some chicken.

As for the cuteness, unfortunately it does not last long.
I found the character of the teacher quite funny, if you don't read the manga, I suppose you would never guess that she is raising pigs. Didn't she remind you of Lust ?
 

ErosVp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
391
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Iknew about the castration because of something I read a while ago, but the teacher saying the pigs see us as equals was funny! That animal only purpose is food (and I don't even like pig meat)!!! You can ride horses, cows give milk, and chickens put eggs... but pigs are at the bottom of the farm hierarchy.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
maybe if you are vegetarian, otherwise I disagree.
There is a saying in French "Dans le cochon tout est bon" , (all is worth in the pig). There is probably the equivalent in every language since it's entirely true. The pig was the main source of meat in the past and is still probably the one we eat the most even nowadays (except for Muslims countries of course)
 

BakaHaze

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
504
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I just had Kastudon today, and then suddenly remembered this...T_T

:XD

Weird with Hachiken though; why would he not want to improve himself when he clearly has a drive for first in terms of studies?
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I disagree about pigs being at the bottom of the farm hierarchy (gee, never expected to be debating something like this, lol :XD). Ultimately, cows giving milk is still cows providing food, as is chickens providing eggs (though I guess you can argue that their feathers can be used for pillows or something). Besides, not only the pig's meat is edible, a lot of other parts are edible. Especially in Chinese countries, you will see people eating all the innards of the pig, even the tongue (and it is delicious...!).

I, too, wonder why Hachiken didn't want to improve himself. I guess that's something we will find out soon. Maybe he just felt he couldn't match up to his older siblings no matter how hard he tried? (though I don't see that as a good reason at all, the world is full of vastly different people :/)
 
Top