Aegon-rokudo's thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Aegon-rokudo's thread

aegon-rokudo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys. I finally arrived to 20 fans on mangahelpers, so I thought that it was a sufficient number to open a thread in this section without seeing it fall into the deeps of the abyss.

Anyway my name is Aegon-Rokudo, a name born by the union of the names of two great characters. Aegon is a character from George martin’s series of novel “A song of ice and fire” and it is the nickname that I use since I have internet, that is the 1999. The second is a misspelling of the rikudou(六道) sennin. I mixed two things that do not have nothing in common and found an unused nickname…

About my personal life, sorry but I don’t like to give information on myself. A great thing that internet has is anonymity. The heck the real me is not even on facebook!.

My story with manga is a long one. All began in the 1999 when the 13th volume of berserk fell in my hands. I read it so many times that the paper is totally consumed. I began to regularly buy the volumes of the manga until I went out of my little hometown and went to the university.
There I finally had a good internet connection and began to download anime. It was January 2004. I began with an anime that I did not like a lot, “.hack//sign” and then discovered full metal alchemist and Naruto. Since then I have saw more that 100 anime and the number is still growing.
In the 2006 I discovered mangahelpers and began to read manga even before the actual scan was out by putting the raw in Japanese on one side of the screen and the English translation on the other side.

I began to study Japanese after I graduated from university. I was a little tired of waiting for a the actual Edited Manga to be out(especially kenichi), plus there are a lot of videogames that do not arrive here in the west that I want to play.
My Japanese is self-taught. I started to study Japanese in the December of 2009, by studying a book called “Japanese in mangaland” a course thought for mangafans who want to learn this language. It is good, if someone wants to learn this language because he is a fan of manga and anime I recommend it. After 7 months in which I learned the basics of the of the language, I began to translate my first manga that is naruto’s volume 53.
You know there is a great satisfaction went you began to be able to read hiragana and katakana and this satisfaction grows even more when you are able to read chapter that are still not translated, especially when you passed the last week to read that manga and the Edited Manga are behind the Japanese raws.
Well it is not like it is easy. Several times I felt down because the language is difficult, it takes a lot of time to learn and sometimes your efforts do not provide results in the short term.
In December I have done the Japanese proficiency test(JLPT) in order to measure my skills according to the general standards. I went for level N4 (basic-intermediate) that is the level centred around the knowledge of the fundamental grammar of the language but with few kanji and vocabulary. Well I went very well with the 85% of right answers.
Anyway my current level now, May 2011, after a year and half, is more or less intermediate. I know a good deal of kanji but I lack in vocabulary and listening, things that I’m trying to correct in the last months.

For my other interests, as you probably notice, they are videogames and books, but in the last year and half I had to reduce the time I dedicate them because of work and… well the study of Japanese.

Well here I intended to speak about my projects, but if you reading this thread probably you already know them. To be short kenichi and naruto are in the top three of my personal favourite mangas, and that’s the reason why I translate them.

For questions and things like that fell free to ask. I know that some people are shy and do not write pm but prefer to post in threands.

I subscribed to the thread so I will reply often.

see you~~

Diwrno

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
thanks for the introduction man, I'm one of that 20 fans and I like you translation of kenichi (I don't read the other mangas XD) see you man.

Nintakun

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Thanks for translating Buyuden! It's a very interesting manga. It has a lot of potencial.
Do you have any plans for future projects besides the ones you currently translate?

aegon-rokudo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for translating Buyuden! It's a very interesting manga. It has a lot of potencial.
Do you have any plans for future projects besides the ones you currently translate?
Thanks it is good to see that there are people interested in it. I hope that the Manga Editors will chatch up soon.

For others series I'm doing 3 weekly manga right now and 2 monthly manga, while I use soul eater not! when I need to train in japanese and I don't have any new chapter. So I think that I will pick up another weekly project but just for training, it means that the releases for this one will be slow and probably I will not catch up with the raws.

max mahito

Reaction score
Country
India
Buyuden is going in a normal pace.1-5 chapters will be out on tuesday.Then by next Sunday, probably we can catch up to 8.^_^

Chapter 4 may come out on Friday(tommorrow) ;)

MarvelousMelmo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
As an anime/manga fan myself, i was wondering if you would consider doing a reasonably well known japan only manga called Magical Taruuto-kun. I have already found raw files of the manga, but i desperately need a translator (i haven't learned japanese yet XD). if you do decide to translate the series, the manga raw files are here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=2MTG2TQ1

if you are able to translate this manga thank you very much!

aegon-rokudo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an anime/manga fan myself, i was wondering if you would consider doing a reasonably well known japan only manga called Magical Taruuto-kun. I have already found raw files of the manga, but i desperately need a translator (i haven't learned japanese yet XD). if you do decide to translate the series, the manga raw files are here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=2MTG2TQ1

if you are able to translate this manga thank you very much!
Sorry but I'm not open to requests. I'm still quite busy with my current projects.

Andmoreagain

Reaction score
Country
St Vincent and the Grenadines
I just dropped by here to let you know BUYUDEN 22&23 RAWs are in Magicbulletgirl's Livejournal (http://eync.livejournal.com/)
I've seen the images. The action is very interesting, but I'm eager to know the whole plot and conversations.

Rockslave

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Thanks for translating Soul Eater!!
I always read your translation but i couldn't find a scan raw on last 3 months
but at least I can read a good translation
thank you

aegon-rokudo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for translating Soul Eater!!
I always read your translation but i couldn't find a scan raw on last 3 months
but at least I can read a good translation
thank you
Thanks!

As you already noticed, it is three months since general distribuition stopped releasing soul eater raws. The raws I use for SE translations are supplied by mangacurse that directly buys the magazine in japan, so they are private raws.

helperalpar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations for the 300th translation :)

deatheater251

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
India
Congratz on your 300th~

Raenef

Reaction score
Country
Germany
gz please keep the good work on

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to say awesome work with the Magi. O_O You're so fast! I wanted to pick it back up after dropping Hajimete no Aku, but you're amazing. Hopefully this'll attract more fans. :) Keep it up dude, cause your speed is inspiring me to get off my lazy ass, lol.

Happy 300th as well! You'll probably outdo my 500 in a week, you're so fast. lol

aegon-rokudo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Bomber, it is great to have your work acknowledged by another translator.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Bomber, it is great to have your work acknowledged by another translator.
Yup. I know how that is, (despite it being believably seldom because of how much I suck at translating.) You took the JPLT right? I've been considering it, but I've been scared cause I doubt I know as much as I think I know.

aegon-rokudo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got the jlpt n4 last year, as a concrete base for my japanese skill, and this december I took the n2. I'm not sure I passed it because the reformed exam has something like the 20% 30% of more things to study and then is 20% 30% more difficult.

They wrote "around the previous level 2 difficulty" that should be around 1000 kanjies and 6000 words. The problem is that I studied 1250 kanjies, 250 more than the acceptable number, and I saw kanjies that I did not recognized.

nevertheless I hope that I barelly passed it. In any case right now I'm studing the second part of jouyou kanjies with relative vocabolary, and by the end of march I should be around the 1450 kanjies, so if I did not pass, next time(in july I hope) I will be sure to pass.

How many kanjies do you know?
Depending from that I can suggest you the level you should be able to pass without too much study.

Raenef

Reaction score
Country
Germany
gl aegon *press thumbs*

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I got the jlpt n4 last year, as a concrete base for my japanese skill, and this december I took the n2. I'm not sure I passed it because the reformed exam has something like the 20% 30% of more things to study and then is 20% 30% more difficult.

They wrote "around the previous level 2 difficulty" that should be around 1000 kanjies and 6000 words. The problem is that I studied 1250 kanjies, 250 more than the acceptable number, and I saw kanjies that I did not recognized.

nevertheless I hope that I barelly passed it. In any case right now I'm studing the second part of jouyou kanjies with relative vocabolary, and by the end of march I should be around the 1450 kanjies, so if I did not pass, next time(in july I hope) I will be sure to pass.

How many kanjies do you know?
Depending from that I can suggest you the level you should be able to pass without too much study.
Hmm...I actually never thought of a 'number' of Kanji I know...I would say maybe pushing 800-100 tops. It's probably a bit less than that since I do need dictonaries sometimes, but I can read newspapers and whatnot with relative ease. So to be fair, probably 500-900. I did mainly teach myself though (great, I sound like I'm making excuses.) I want to take it soon, so I know where I stand even if I fail.

aegon-rokudo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hum... probably you have a more practical knowledge of japanese than me, just as I expected. I still have problems with newspapers because I focused on the kanjies instead of the vocabulary.
Anyway you should be able to pass level n3 with ease, you just need to make sure of the kanji you know and try 2 or 3 mock exams in order to get a feeling of the real exam.
With a more dedicated study, you could easily best even the level n2, but that depends on the time you have and your personal preferencies. You should study and learn a lot of kanjies, around 500 I think. But you should be ok from the vocabulary point of view, for the listening I don't know, but the principal problem is reading, but if you are able to read newspapers you should not have problems