Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Yeah hopefully that guy's predictions are wrong. It'll suck to lose Sengoku and Enigma (I know he didn't 100% but still if it's falling >.>). Though a baseball manga could be fun. Been awhile since one of those showed up.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
thank you finestela for posting ratings (aaww i was hoping higher for gintama xD oh well as long as dvd sales don't drop)

Time slot is..
Gintama is monday 6:00pm
Bleach is tuesday 6:00 pm
Sket Dance is thursay 6:00pm
Naruto is thursday 7:30pm
Beelzebub is sunday 7:00am
Toriko is sunday 9:00am
One piece is sunday 9:30am
Ao no exorcist is sunday 5:00pm

the times are all for tv tokyo (i think) OP is just after toriko..
For weekdays, golden time slot is 7-10p. Looks like it does effect ratings..?
Beelze is YTV (Yorimuri Tv.)
One piece and Toriko are on Fuji TV.
Ao no Exorcist is MBS. (Mainichi Broadcasting system.)

The rest are as you said, on TV tokyo. I wonder if channels matter along with timeslot? The Fuji ones seem to do a lot better than the TV Tokyo ones, but I suppose there's still a lot to consider timeslot wise.
 

SoulEaterFreak

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
93
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yeah hopefully that guy's predictions are wrong. It'll suck to lose Sengoku and Enigma (I know he didn't 100% but still if it's falling >.>). Though a baseball manga could be fun. Been awhile since one of those showed up.
I liked the oneshot from Masashi Kishimoto - Bench! That one was pretty good, if it's going to be something like that it could do better than Dois Sol etc.. But I believe the boys (and girls) who read WSJ want to read about "other worlds", strange creatures, mysterious powers and not so much about things they see every day (every day as in "real life" xD) or about older times. Well...my opinion...of course I like a few mangas about the old Japanese eras, but maybe that's just because I know almost nothing about it, not like the Japanese people who read/vote for the mangas.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Will you keep posting these here? Or in another thread? I'd really like to follow ratings for these shows.
And sure, I'll keep posting them :P
I made a thread for anime ratings over in Otaku Theatre, since there seems to be some non-WSJ titles being brought into the discussion :) Hopefully people will post ratings for other anime there too, for a comparison of how WSJ animes fare against non-WSJ anime~

I must say I'm happy to see the Toriko anime doing as well as it is. Only One Piece and Toriko even made it into the top 10 rankings for anime ratings (at least for last week's episode) and that's a great achievement for Toriko.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Most of those predictions are pretty predictable anyway. We know that Dois Sol and Shinigami are going to get cut, and there's a good chance that HxH is coming back around August. We know that Magico has been well-received. We know that Kuroko isn't getting cut because it's the only sports series that has done fairly well.

It's kind of premature to say that Enigma is free-falling. It has never even hit the bottom five yet, and it's been doing better than Bleach for the past couple of weeks. Just because it isn't in the top five any more doesn't mean that it's "free-falling". It's doing above average for a new series.
 

NANAhashi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
19
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
If Enigma really got cancelled then i will decide that WSJ pollers really are idiots type of people that only like brainless action series. :-_-

I feel that Enigma is the best thing in wsj besides OP. Taste may differ, but that is not my point. I like how it built its plot pieces by pieces... it is clear that Sakaki-sensei know where the manga is going.
I agree that enigma's starting is a fresh thing, really interesting.

But after it passed of a while, at least for me, it keeps repeating the same plot constructions. Just the cycle of using some logical thinking, supernatural power and friendship to get pwds, then, loop it again. Also, its subplot is so-so and drama is not very much touch. So, I'm not looking forward for this series as before.

Therefore, I'm not that much surprised about its downfall.:oh

edit: (It's totally like when I saw "SAW I" for the first time, woow WTF IS THIS, SO AWESOME, and the sequel after that ... mehh, boring.)
 
Last edited:

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree that enigma's starting is a fresh thing, really interesting.

But after it passed of a while, at least for me, it keeps repeating the same plot constructions. Just the cycle of using some logical thinking, supernatural power and friendship to get pwds, then, loop it again. Also, its subplot is so-so and drama is not very much touch. So, I'm not looking forward for this series as before.
(It's totally like when I saw "SAW I" for the first time, woow WTF IS THIS, SO AWESOME, and the sequel after that ... mehh, boring.)

Therefore, I'm not that much surprised about its downfall.:oh
I do think it;s a bit pre mature to call Enigma on it's storyline considering it;s first arc hasn;t even ended yet. I also don;t know where your getting the whole "power of friendship" concept from though. True it hasn;t really put any of the characters against enach other, but that;s not really needed for the this arc.

It has followed something of a formula in introducing the characters powers, but there;s no real way to get around it since this is still preferable to just throwing us into the main plot without a reason to care about any of the characters. It;s sort of similar to the Daily Life Arc in Reborn in that respect...though this is much better recieved for the moment.

I do think the subplot is interesting enough though, especially considering it;s still fun to form theories about it.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Enigma is interesting and it is a manga that brings something that i'm not very used to see at shounen jump , but when i read it i can't stop of feeling that enigma will never be able to surprise me much , it's just very repetitive at some points.
But i still don't expect it and don't want it to get cancelled and i don't even think there is even a reason to do that.
I don't remember Enigma being bad on the TOC so i don't quite understand why we get this all of a sudden.
 

Sayaendo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
50
Reaction score
11
Gender
Male
Country
Palau
Enigma is interesting and it is a manga that brings something that i'm not very used to see at shounen jump , but when i read it i can't stop of feeling that enigma will never be able to surprise me much , it's just very repetitive at some points.
But i still don't expect it and don't want it to get cancelled and i don't even think there is even a reason to do that.
I don't remember Enigma being bad on the TOC so i don't quite understand why we get this all of a sudden.
I agree with you, but on the other hand, I also don't think Enigma is safe.

Take Magico for example. Even if it screws up the first big arc, it already built a world. This world, built in 12 chapters, is enough to carry the series for another 50, as long as the rest doesn't completely suck. Enigma on the other hand, if it starts dropping in quality, people may stop voting for it much quicker, just because of how the story is built and the genre it's employing.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Enigma's done pretty well in the TOC and it's still getting color pages and stuff. It's never gone lower then the middle ranks, really. I think it's doing fine. It's also getting into the climax of the first arc now. I've been translating it and I really like the emotion it draws and the mysteries it's introduced. The general formula of the characters being introduced did go on, but they also threw in curve balls with other characters showing up like Kurisu and Suuki and Kijima to keep the plot from being too linear. But you do have to introduce the characters in order to make the plot make sense and to show progress in their goal for "unity" and such, and any manga starts out with small shorter stories.
Anyhow, I really doubt enigma or Medaka Box are in danger of being canceled at this point really. Or Kuroko for that matter. Kuroko's sales are almost as good as Beelzebub's if I remember right.
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
Wouldn't it be weird to drop Enigma instead of the other series that's not done nearly as good? I think Enigma deserves to prove that it's still interesting, and with that I mean a second arc. Personally I think Enigma has been awesome till now, even though the mysteries not really are big and super exciting mysteries.
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

OPN

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
19
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i think its highly unlikely that medaka and engima are ending. i havent read engima yet but since its author was a assitant to amano and i love reborn i will probably read it soon. medaka however i do read and im highly enjoying it so i really hope it doesnt get canned.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Was wondering what was happening with that, I remember he mentioned a couple new series coming in May but all we got was Ikkyu
I assume you were talking about this entry?

Just met with 2 young mangakas who will launch their very first serialization in May. Both gifted and energetic.
Remember, Ikkyu is done by a duo... :p


i think its highly unlikely that medaka and engima are ending. i havent read engima yet but since its author was a assitant to amano and i love reborn i will probably read it soon. medaka however i do read and im highly enjoying it so i really hope it doesnt get canned.
No one said they're ending right away, but just that they will be in-line to make room for HxH. If they get better in the mean time and what not, it'll be someone else.

In any case, we'll know the authenticity of it next Tuesday/Wednesday when the ToC comes out :)
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No one said they're ending right away, but just that they will be in-line to make room for HxH. If they get better in the mean time and what not, it'll be someone else.
Personally, I find the idea of either of them (and Kuroko too) even being considered for cancellation at this point idiotic and ridiculous...I never really understood the reasoning behind cancelling any series for one that is only going to run for 10 chapters anyway.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
I never really understood the reasoning behind cancelling any series for one that is only going to run for 10 chapters anyway.
well, the magazine runs on a budget.... so they need some limitations on how many series they can have on the magazine at one time. (cost of printing more pages, paying the mangaka, assistants, etc)
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
i currently reread hxh and i though, ohhhhh look at this much gore. Here an leg and here a arm flying through the picture. then i though back, dragonball z was also so, even naruto at the beginning. But today all of them totally little kidz friendly. people are not really dying, more like gone to eternal sleep. when something happens there is only blood on their bodys, but nothing more. could it be because of censorship from authorities?
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
i currently reread hxh and i though, ohhhhh look at this much gore. Here an leg and here a arm flying through the picture. then i though back, dragonball z was also so, even naruto at the beginning. But today all of them totally little kidz friendly. people are not really dying, more like gone to eternal sleep. when something happens there is only blood on their bodys, but nothing more. could it be because of censorship from authorities?
I don't believe it is about the authorities. It could be a request from the editors or just the author's choice.

I don't remember if it was all last year, but Aizen took off Gin's arm off in Bleach. Also in Bleach, Ichigo destroyed/cut Ulquiorra's leg and arm.

And in Jump Square, we had the Kanda arc in D.Gray-man last year and there were scenes of limbs being destroyed/cut/exploded also.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
^Honestly, it depends on the author's choice. Sometimes an author becomes less into gore than when they first started. In Hoshino's case...its like she got back into the groove of body horror. o_O Is there a current series in Jump that is as dark as D.Gray-man was during its run?

I don't think this is a bad thing, though. I'd rather have good writing over ~edgy~ and ~dark~ graphic violence. Besides, this is shonen, where Defeat Means Friendship. :P Killing in manga looks so easy, sometimes it seems wimpy when a hero (or heroine) doesn't make the villain have dying moments of flashback.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
i currently reread hxh and i though, ohhhhh look at this much gore. Here an leg and here a arm flying through the picture. then i though back, dragonball z was also so, even naruto at the beginning. But today all of them totally little kidz friendly. people are not really dying, more like gone to eternal sleep. when something happens there is only blood on their bodys, but nothing more. could it be because of censorship from authorities?
not really...
Jump or shounen in general were more gory and darker back in the days (like Bastard) and it toned downed a bit over the years, largely from the shounen trend set by Drangonball.(and maybe OP too.... ) But we still do get dark stuff from Jump like Mago, and DGM was also one although it moved to SQ. Toriko also had some gory stuff before too.

the shounen genre got more "mellow" over the years, but I doubt there were any restrictions or censorships that stopped the mangaka from doing stuff.
 
Last edited:

come come paradise

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
France
(or heroine)
^ hahaha :p

Relating to the gore, it's an interesting point. I hadn't wondered about it at all, dismissing it as a matter of author choice, but now that I think about it... It's true we haven't got much of it these days. I'm not complaining, it's not like I care about having blood in my shonens, but it is note-worthy. The lack of potential for gore more than the lack of gore, actually. You can't have flying limbs happening in most of the series of Jump's current line-up, even adventure series like Magico are rather far from HxH. And the ones who have that potential (Bleach, Naruto) have toned down lately, especially Naruto. Can't speak for Mago because I don't read it. An editorial choice, maybe?

Either way, I doubt it has anything to do with "authorities", I know there's been a recent paranoia but come on, they have nothing to say about Jump :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top