Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Wow I'm very impressed with Stars. But now I'm worried. For Ikkyu, Stars, and Enigma (the three best new series in ages) to survive, several old series will need to collapse and many new series in the coming months. Fingers crossed!!
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hunter x Hunter always saves a series, it might last to long to help this set of series though. Sadly something new will have to go, and I doubt it will be Enigma.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico

Mr. Prince wrote:

While it's consensus that said Golden Age reached its heyday in the mid 90's with its big three (Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk, YuYu Hakusho), when the mag had a circulation of more than 6.5 million copies a week, it's arguably when this trend started: Quite a number of people name 1977 as the starting point, the time when Ring ni Kakero started.

Being quite the Hokuto fanboy I remember watching a long HnK documentary where they said Hokuto no Ken was the beginning of it all, fending off the so called "Love Comedy Boom", during which Sunday gained more and more ground under the reign of Adachi Mitsuru and Takahashi Rumiko. But of course, this documentary was clearly biased in its whole representation towards HnK. So, it should be taken with a bucket of salt.
This. I loooove Kurumada style, there is something in his mangas that just makes me smile everything I read one. Basically, if you have read a single volume.. Heck, even a single chapter of one of its works you have read everything he has done, he is an author that just makes battle after battle, the plot is there, just not too much LOL.. Basically the Kubo Tite of its time. But he created his own trademarks like the "Kurumada-Fall" the "Kurumada Launch" the classic "Rescue arcs"..
And as a side note is the only author I have seen use its WSJ cover for a "villian", Shaka NOT accompanied by other characters (If I am wrong please tell me).. An equivalent would be Kubo doing a cover with just Ulquiorra or Byakuya back when they were villians.
But I am a Masamist (Kurumada fanboy) so I didn´t want to say "Ring Ni Kakero" started Jump Golden Age, and IMO that would be a big stretch, though I can say I have heard countless times that it did start the Shonen JUMP clichés.. Heck, even Street Fighter naming of the main characters is inspired of Ring Ni Kakero´s Takane Ryuji and Kenzaki Jun

But yeah, I could totally see why WSJ would increment is sales in 1977 Ringkake is very good, some mangakas even mention how it had to do with them like Oh! Great (Tenjo Tenge) and IIRC Yu yu Hakusho´s editor favorite manga was Ringkake too.

Also.. Just as a request for you Mr. Prince, how would you write "Jump Golden Age" in japanese?? (In hiragana or kanji or whatever you write it on please, I want to do some searching LOL)
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Jump Issue 32 Cover from Sasaki's Twitter
great cover as always. bakuman seems more creative than the always used *one hero looking or punching into the readers face pose.*
 

NANAhashi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
19
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
From Ohana

表紙はバクマン
巻頭ブリーチ (死神とアランカルと仮面の人達と月島がパーティー)
トリコ
ワンピ
バクマン
ナルト
鏡の国 C
べるぜ
銀魂
タカマガハラ C
スケットC
花咲
スターズ C
いぬまる
マジコ
めだか
リボーン
エニグマ
こち亀
ぬらり
黒子

33号 ナルト巻頭
銀魂 C
マジコ C
スターズ C

So, Naruto keep its position at #3-4, again. I don't mind, though. And So glad to see Toriko beat OP.

Not bad for Ikkyu:tem.
 

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Jump #32 (18/07):
Bleach (Lead Color)

Toriko
One Piece
Bakuman (Cover)
Naruto
Harisugawa in Mirror world (Color Page, 25 pg.)
Beelzebub
Gintama
Tamagahara by Kawai Jyuuzou (Color Page, GFC Entry #1)
Sket Dance (Color Page)

Hanasaka Ikkyuu
ST&RS (23 pag.)
Inumaru Dashi
Magico
Medaka Box
Reborn!
Enigma
Kochikame
Nurarihyon no Mago
Kuroko no Basket

#33:
Lead Color: Naruto
Color Page: Gintama, Magico, ST&RS
Absent: One Piece
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Pure rankings:

01. Toriko
02. One Piece
03. Naruto
04. Beelzebub
05. Gintama
06. Hanasaka Ikkyuu
07. Inumaru Dashi
08. Magico
09. Medaka Box
10. Reborn!
11. Enigma
12. Nurarihyon no Mago
13. Kuroko no Basket
 
Last edited:

d3ad3r

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
36
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Pure rankings:

01. Toriko
02. One Piece
03. Naruto
04. Beelzebub
05. Gintama
06. Inumaru Dashi
07. Magico
08. Medaka Box
09. Reborn!
10. Enigma
11. Nurarihyon no Mago
12. Kuroko no Basket
You forgot Ikkyuu and Kochikame
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well Enigma's low ranking this week is pretty depressing, but if it;s anything like the last time, it'll be back up before long, not to mention that I don;t think the final chapters of the e-test have been ranked yet. Those should definently bring some improvements to the rankings.

Also a bit sad to see Medaka just barely above the bottom 5, but I guess that;s better than the alternative.
 
Last edited:

NANAhashi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
19
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Pure rankings:

01. Toriko
02. One Piece
03. Naruto
04. Beelzebub
05. Gintama
06. Inumaru Dashi
07. Magico
08. Medaka Box
09. Reborn!
10. Enigma
11. Nurarihyon no Mago
12. Kuroko no Basket
Just want to remind that you forget Ikkyu at #6 and Kochikame as well. :)

Mehh, I'm seriously having some hope that some old series will be axed in favor of the new one. Don't want ST&RS and Ikkyu gone. ;w;
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Kochikame is not ranked.
Ikkyu... I don't remember if it has more then 8 chapters now. If it does, I will put it in there and apologize.
 

NANAhashi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
19
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Kochikame is not ranked.
Ikkyu... I don't remember if it has more then 8 chapters now. If it does, I will put it in there and apologize.
This is Ikkyu's Chap 10th or 11th already.

First rank of Hanasaka Ikkyuu it will be in Issue #31, Ikkyuu started in Jump #23.!
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Is ST&RS already getting a color?! When was the last time that a new serie got a color page in chapter 4?
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think I just came to a sad realization. If all of the new series actually survive the chopping block, Enigma may be the sacrificial lamb for Hunter X Hunter. I would like to think that having been in the bottom 5 for only 2 weeks since it;s start(and not consecutively) would be enough to save it, but I'm not exactly sure. Though I guess I should wait and see how things go before I start panicking.
 

AandWguy

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
96
Reaction score
4
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
3 mangas i like are low now, medaka, magico, and reborn are in trouble, reborn could probably get out though.
I love that bleach is on top though since everyone here hates it though i personally still like bleach and hope it keeps going.
If there is a manga that I've read that Jump has that I really din't like, it has to be toriko, it's boring and has only one likable character.
I hope nurahiyon gets its act togethor but it might just be dead soon, its too bad, i no longer read it due to its boring story right now.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
AandWguy said:
I love that bleach is on top though since everyone here hates it though i personally still like bleach and hope it keeps going.
Bleach is not on top: it is not ranked as it has Lead Color.
These are pure rankings (if it is not on the list, it is not ranked):

Nayrael said:
01. Toriko
02. One Piece
03. Naruto
04. Beelzebub
05. Gintama
06. Hanasaka Ikkyuu
07. Inumaru Dashi
08. Magico
09. Medaka Box
10. Reborn!
11. Enigma
12. Nurarihyon no Mago
13. Kuroko no Basket
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Bleach is not on top: it is not ranked as it has Lead Color.
These are pure rankings (if it is not on the list, it is not ranked):
is there a need to axe a series just for hxh? i mean it's only for a few weeks in there. it would be bad to loose one of this promising series and then get a boring one after hxh ended. it not looks like jump gets interesting mangas for serialization every month, that they could afford to throw away everyone after 10 weeks. it's not possible to sort series now out. the top spots already taken, so there is barely a chance o avoid the bottom 5.

if a series must go it should be mago or kuroko, both series i don't enjoy much and don't expect to get better in the long turn.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top