Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Actually, I still enjoy reading the manga, as much as I always have. I even figured out what you said about the plot and characters already, but forgot about it. Having reminded me, I'm starting to feel grateful again for Sakaki's writing style. There really are no inconsistencies and the plot still has its potential through its suspense in the form of many unanswered questions.

I guess I was being a bit harsh in my last post; I wanted to figure out why Enigma is doing rather poorly in Japan, though the latest volume's sales are actually supposed to be significantly better than the last 3, I heard.

Still, I think it was a bit too obvious that Akame is fibbing and doesn't know what's going on, for two reasons:
1. He blurts about kidnapping to get himself good things to eat, play with and live. It could be just because he's poor. After all, he's a freeter.
2. If Akame is Cannibal, what's the likelihood the boy attended the festival and got an Ability/Talent too?
I agree with William's 100% - was going to post pretty similar thoughts as well regarding the comments. What I think is too unfair about the comments is that Enigma has NOT progressed that far along so to speak. So people complaining about inconsistencies or holes need to remember this is really the only second major arc the manga has - and unfortunately may be one of the last few ones it may have. This unfortunately doesn't mesh well with how the author clearly pre-plans things. Kirio might seem sudden but I argue its not as if he was THAT random or last minute given how the entire clues revealed all fall into place of introducing him - meaning he just received his proper introduction not necessarily with the first flash back but with the piecing together of the clues. Thus, I find it would be too harsh to claim him random or sudden when its really only now that he begins to fit into the plot.

Yes, Akame seems like an obvious red herring but keep in mind none of us ever thought of him actually outlasting the other contestants! We were all pretty damn wrong in our assumptions and this is something people are forgetting with regard to how the author has still managed to keep some surprises with this current arc - despite its length. Sure we could have a long full blown out back story for each but then again this one is aimed at keeping suspense of WHO cannibal is - given that we were wrong about Akame we have to consider the slight chance we may be wrong about Matsurugi though even then it would still not make sense him being the only return contestant so yeah.

Question is though with this e-test is that we have not seen any of the new contestants using their talents. That is something to consider... Fact that NONE of these tests really push them to use their talent I think is an oddity that I think may be the reason why IMO this arc is somewhat weaker. In that the test has absolutely been nothing too challenging its only the threat of cannibal we worry about but now with the last two possibilities it does seem less climactic but then again we could be wrong - as this has been clearly proven just by the elimination of the safe man whom we all thought would last much longer.

Bottom line for me is I find it too soon to really give a solid judgement towards Enigma overall and claiming this arc to be representative of the quality would be hardly fair given its length and how different it is from the first e-test, its really apples and oranges in comparison since just by difficulty of solving the puzzles alone its an absolute joke that it can be blitzed through in a chapter.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Wow, Akame... He's actually pretty amazing, despite being a total ****. Forget Cannibal, Akame's MUCH more deadlier. He not only turned the whole number situation disadvantage he had, but he even locked up Matsurigi permanently, but without a second thought, he swallowed the key. He easily dispatched a police officer, he knew where to shoot to unlock the doors, he took out Matsurigi like it was nothing (despite him having a weapon), he has a gun and a knife and has about four people on his team. And he has a shit load of money too.

And unfortunately, he has everything Sumio doesn't, including Kuroiwa right next to him. This is actually pretty intense. Now I can see why he was nice to Mao, despite her being obviously a girl who uses others. There's just no way in hell does she have any chance of defeating him.

It'd be interesting if Cannibal was Kuroiwa or the other police dude. :P
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
On the color page, it said that Enigma will be getting its first character popularity poll. So, I think that means Enigma is safe for few more weeks (but bad news for Magico).
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Popularity poll huh? Yeah it's definently safe for a cancellation round or two, though it officially means Magico is a goner. How many votes it gets should be some indication as to how much of a fanbase the series has now so it should be interesting. I'm really hoping the series will continue to survive.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
On the color page, it said that Enigma will be getting its first character popularity poll. So, I think that means Enigma is safe for few more weeks (but bad news for Magico).
Sweet. I love seeing the results of popularity polls.

What makes it even more interesting is that there are less than 30 characters available to vote from, and the fact that they've launched the poll when the manga has reached only chapter 49. The only other manga series I know with a popularity poll launched this early in its manga is Hokenshitsu no Shinigami at chapter 50.
 
Last edited:

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Wait, if it does get a character poll (which they're always in colour, right?) does that mean another colour page when we get the results!? :blink That's freaking awesome! Come on Misaki Kamiyaaaaaa! Charm the boys with your looks and make them vote for you. I also really want to see Mao in colour, too.

Though personally, I think Sumio and Matsurigi will dominate considering they're both the main interests of both acts. Although I'm sure everyone else will get quite a few votes, too. For me, it'd be...

1. Misaki Kamiya ('dat look).
2. Kijima Yuta.
3. Shigeru Kurumiya.

Mao would over rank Shigeru if she didn't get owned in a single chapter. :p

What's the name of the other police officer that held a ticket?
 
Last edited:

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
What's the name of the other police officer that held a ticket?
His first name is Kiyoshi.
I don't know what his last name is in English. In Japanese, it's 御手洗, which opens up to quite a few pronunciations. I have to wait for the raw chapter to be released before I can tell you which one it is.


UPDATE: It seems as though kewl managed to translate chapter 49, even catching the poll page.
To answer your question, his full name is Kiyoshi Mitarai.

The popularity poll has just 20 characters to choose from. You have the 7 e-test participants, Kurisu, Kijima, Kirio, Suki, Mina, Yumikawa, the 3 other train participants, Cannibal, Kuroiwa, the әnígmә mark and one more character whose name I mentioned in the spoiler box just above this paragraph.

I'm quite amazed at Enigma's early streak of releases:
- Enigma had a VOMIC adaptation released just 7 months after the series started. From the start of each series, I don't think any others had one released this early so far.
- After the release of chapters 1 and 2, the next chapter to have a colour page in Enigma is chapter 9, something rivaled only by newer series ST&RS and Kagami no Kuni (at chapter 7 each).

And now, we have a character popularity poll just 49 chapters in the series, beating Hokenshitsu no Shinigami by one chapter. Now if only a future anime series could join Enigma's early streak of releases, that is, if Enigma is truly ending soon...

On a final note,
It's quite interesting how Mitarai, a character just introduced this chapter, is also included in the character popularity poll just commenced this chapter too.
 
Last edited:

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
So Enigma rose two places, which is surprisingly good considering how it was going before. Either, the girls spam voted for Enigma considering Kijima turned into a good guy that chapter or arc fatigue was definitely the problem.

Now we just gotta pray that Enigma keeps rising and the new Act gets better reception. :) I'll admit, I giggled like a little girl when it rose, because the next chapter is a happy chapter, which I'm certain will get better reception. Anyway, I also didn't think ST&RS would do very well, but I think Kagami even had a less chance than it... so hopefully Enigma will keep rising. It's a very similar situation to Medaka Box in the past, it seems.

However, ST&RS isn't in any bad position yet. Although Magico is as it is on equal terms of Enigma on how much times it has been on the bottom. I don't think the popularity poll took effect on this weeks ranking? I'm not sure?

___________

Haha FOMA, I don't think Mitarai will get many votes even with him being introduced recently. He might get some if he does something the next few chapters considering he does seem like a genuinely kind character. I also noticed the Enigma early streak with its popularity poll, colour page and VOMIC session. Does that mean an early anime!? (Haha, I wish).

Anyway, nooooo! Misaki isn't apart of the poll, it is understandable, but Misaki has gotten more exposure than Arai and Kengo considering she was wearing a maid costume in the Yuuyami Festival and was also the one Sumio connected with to defeat Kijima... Misaki, live on! When the e-test becomes important again which I guess is a given, since we don't know how the first shadow on the first e-test became to be.
 
Last edited:

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
So Enigma rose two places, which is surprisingly good considering how it was going before. Either, the girls spam voted for Enigma considering Kijima turned into a good guy that chapter or arc fatigue was definitely the problem.

Now we just gotta pray that Enigma keeps rising and the new Act gets better reception. :) I'll admit, I giggled like a little girl when it rose, because the next chapter is a happy chapter, which I'm certain will get better reception. Anyway, I also didn't think ST&RS would do very well, but I think Kagami even had a less chance than it... so hopefully Enigma will keep rising. It's a very similar situation to Medaka Box in the past, it seems.

However, ST&RS isn't in any bad position yet. Although Magico is as it is on equal terms of Enigma on how much times it has been on the bottom. I don't think the popularity poll took effect on this weeks ranking? I'm not sure?
Well, whatever happens, I'll be placing my bets on Enigma and ST&RS to pull through. After all, as a Wiki editor for both series, it'd be pretty awkward to me if any of these series ends, especially ST&RS.

Anyway, nooooo! Misaki isn't apart of the poll, it is understandable, but Misaki has gotten more exposure than Arai and Kengo considering she was wearing a maid costume in the Yuuyami Festival and was also the one Sumio connected with to defeat Kijima... Misaki, live on! When the e-test becomes important again which I guess is a given, since we don't know how the first shadow on the first e-test became to be.
Well, Misaki certainly is a minor character, along the lines of Kengo and Yoshio. The amount of involvement she had with the plot is practically the same as with the other two, and if I didn't know Misaki was a female name, I wouldn't have been able to distinguish her from the other two. I wasn't really expecting her to make the poll if Kengo and Yoshio didn't.
 
Last edited:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I lost interest in Enigma when it seemed like all hope was lost, but if St&rs is last place for eight weeks until it gets canceled, there's still some hope.

I hope Sakaki gets through this arc quickly and pretends that it never happened. It was really rushed and it definitely felt like Psyren's final arc. I think I'd be happier if Enigma just... ended. Without a pseudo-conclusive ending.

I also want some more character development. And I want the old e-test characters back.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Well, Misaki certainly is a minor character, along the lines of Kengo and Yoshio. The amount of involvement she had with the plot is practically the same as with the other two, and if I didn't know Misaki was a female name, I wouldn't have been able to distinguish her from the other two. I wasn't really expecting her to make the poll if Kengo and Yoshio didn't.
Buuuut she so cuuuuuute. *--*

I lost interest in Enigma when it seemed like all hope was lost, but if St&rs is last place for eight weeks until it gets canceled, there's still some hope.

I hope Sakaki gets through this arc quickly and pretends that it never happened. It was really rushed and it definitely felt like Psyren's final arc. I think I'd be happier if Enigma just... ended. Without a pseudo-conclusive ending.

I also want some more character development. And I want the old e-test characters back.
It's quite obvious how much Sakaki has planned for the e-test characters, as said in one of my previous posts on the page prior. When she does it, who knows. Also I want Mao to continue appearing, as well as the Masked Gentleman. I'm sure this stage is going to lock up Akame, so I don't think we'll be seeing him again.

Edit: Looking through Enigma forums, I'm actually surprised at the many, many people believing Sakaki's ploy with Akame being Cannibal. Here are some random quotes from more than I expected...

notsureifsrs said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa it was the criminal.
-blacksheep said:
sure do wish that the president was the cannibal... :| too bad it's the criminal guy.. :P
kimchuy said:
I wasn't expecting that! I thought the "President" was Cannibal (disguised as him). Well, it turned out to be the criminal, Akame Tsutomu.
9xdeath said:
ITS NOT =-=its the other dude they were on the train with+the presidents ability is with size not gingerbread men
Rose said:
Wow! So Akame really was Cannibal. I hope Sumio and Matsurigi can beat him!!
Shaylerr said:
Its not the president.
Dark K. said:
I knew it was that guy...
MangaRgre8 said:
nice chapter seems like Cannibal isn't the President.
 
Last edited:

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, whoever Cannibal truly is, the Chinese sub for chapter 50 has been released here.

And from the looks of it,
Things are going extremely bad for one particular character.

I'm predicting that in the next chapter,
We'll be seeing Sumio and Matsurigi board the train, where Matsurigi will reveal her true identity as Cannibal.

And if you're reading this, kewl, there's a Japanese raw available online here, if you don't have it yet.
 
Last edited:

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Next chapter looks great, it looks like we might have been trolled regading Cannibals indentity.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Wow! That was a great chapter. I'm surprised at how exciting Enigma can be even without the use of abilities. I kind of feel sorry for Akame, even though he killed a kid... Well, as I thought, he was the only one of the two who was left at the station and not turned into a pile of meat. But, now, I'm excited to see how Cannibal is revealed as Matsurigi and how Sumio will overcome him. In fact, Kirio's now free, so how is he going to take part in this event?

I'm also excited to see what the next stop would be. The whole thing is making me think about the stages, too. An abandoned station no one's heard of, an abandoned mansion looking house and the prison.

Lastly, I wonder if the other e-test participants were taken away in the huge disappearance of people? I'd find it interesting if they were being targeted down by Cannibal's allies or other Enigma hunters.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I can think of the perfect next stop:
IRIAI COAST.

Let's see if the next chapter takes us there.
 

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I read Kewl's translation, and Akame flipped. I don't think he's dead and I guess it leaves it open for him to appear again considering he was a person chosen by the skull. Although it does seem like the skull chose the people who would likely put Sumio at a disadvantage (Mao being coercive and backstabbing, Akame being violent and ruthless, Gentleman having a lot of intel and likely another talent).

Now what I want to know is, will Cannibal go back for Akame? Or what will Kuroiwa do when he realizes it's Akame? I assume he hasn't done as much as killing hundreds of people by hijacking a plane. I also want to know Kirio's plan is. Since he seems to be able to switch around with a person which seemingly resembles my friends Enigma RP character, "Rie".
Spatial Interchange – Ability to swap her position with something she can see for a minute. The thing she must swap with must weigh less or equal to her, whilst also, she can only swap with things she can see and she is unable to swap to places when there is no room for her to fit.

Anyway, Iriai Coast would be a great next stop. Even if it's just a glance of it. I'm so interested in seeing what's at Iriai Coast...
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Ok, I've just read the spoilers for the next chapter on a Japanese website.

For now, all I can say are two things:
1. I'm probably going to be very busy on the Wiki over the next few weeks.
2. The title for this next chapter is a bit weird.

Again, I won't be translating my findings until someone here requests me to.
 
Last edited:

WilliamK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Oooh, how much was revealed in the spoiler site? I'm so curious now, FOMA. :P Please translate it, because the next chapter seems like it's going to be epic.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Oooh, how much was revealed in the spoiler site? I'm so curious now, FOMA. :P Please translate it, because the next chapter seems like it's going to be epic.
Well, since you really want me to, here we go...

UPDATE: HOPEFULLY NOBODY READ THE SPOILERS I POSTED HERE EARLIER. IT TURNS OUT THEY'RE COMPLETELY FALSE. STAY TUNED AS I TRANSLATE THE AUTHENTIC SPOILERS.

In the meantime, here's the true title for the next chapter, e51:

UPDATE: AGAIN, HOPEFULLY (ALMOST) NOBODY SAW THE TITLE I POSTED HERE EARLIER. IT TURNS OUT IT'S COMPLETELY FAKE TOO. I'LL BE RELEASING THE REAL TITLE 3 POSTS DOWN WITH THE REAL SPOILERS COMING LATER.
 
Last edited:
Top