Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus

Where are you all reading about Togashi going to take a break? Or are you just expecting Togashi to take a break?
This is about the Hiatus that Togasi OFTEN takes. This particular talk was about the last one, but I left this thread open...just in case xD
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus

This is about the Hiatus that Togasi OFTEN takes. This particular talk was about the last one, but I left this thread open...just in case xD
Ok gotcha. So then unless otherwise noted we should expect the next chapter. That's good.

Stupidly enough I'm actually hoping Togashi doesn't take a break for a while this time.

However if he does thank goodness to gracious for the new anime.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,295
Reaction score
24,928
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hiatus

Well, it is next chapter that we find out if there will be a hiatus as that is the last chapter in the volume..... I do hope we get at least 2 volumes out this time around.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus

Well, it is next chapter that we find out if there will be a hiatus as that is the last chapter in the volume..... I do hope we get at least 2 volumes out this time around.
Agreed. Togashi has taken enough breaks as is.
 

joshua019

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
614
Reaction score
91
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Hiatus

wat does he do when he goes on break???? does he have an illness or is he suffering a writers block???? or is he plain and simple a lazy bum?
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus

wat does he do when he goes on break???? does he have an illness or is he suffering a writers block???? or is he plain and simple a lazy bum?
Most likely he was working on the new HxH anime.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,295
Reaction score
24,928
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Nah, the only reason he goes on breaks is because the author plainly hates writing manga. Its actually that simple, he even went as far as making a doushinji were he pretty much states he stopped writing yu yu hakusho because he was lazy (hence the rushed ending). Apparently the guy got so stressed out while writing yu yu hakusho he had a meltdown or something. I can't honestly imagine why togashi would start writing hunter hunter if he simply does not want to do this, specially if he could as easily work animating stuff and other works.
 

Phantron

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
797
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Just like Diego turned out to be a decoy, the guy you think is Togashi is a decoy too. The real Togashi is on a beach somewhere like the real Diego.

HXH's plot isn't something you can ad lib your way out of. For example I saw a post on how HXH would look like if it was done in the style of Bleach:

Step 1: Hunter introduces self.
Step 2: Ant introduces self.
Step 3: Hunter has upper hand.
Step 4: Ant says it's time to get serious.
Step 5: Hunter says it's time to use this ability that he wasn't plan on using.
Step 6: Replace Hunter and Ant, go back to step 1.

While it's a parody, it's far easier to come up with stuff if your story can be described by a formula. HXH is difficult to apply the same methods due to its relatively rigid worldview, so this places a lot of stress on the author to come up with a plausible outcome.

I saw an interview with Togashi last week that says there are 4 major arcs left after the Ant arc. Didn't say anything about his schedule, though.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,295
Reaction score
24,928
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Can you post the interview?
 

Phantron

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
797
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

It's an interview with Togashi and Oda of One Piece. There's not much information there, but I can translate it. Don't know where the original Japanese source is, though again it really doesn't say much. This happened before the Ant arc ended.

(seems like there's text before here...)
T: Yes, as an author for Shonen Jump, sometimes I feel lacking compared to you. (I assume this refers to the fact OP is the Iron Man of serialization)

O: Mr. T is too modest. When I was an assistant, I always loved your works for their originality.

T: I don't like stories based on formula. I always try to make things more interesting, more unexpected. I pay close attention to your work too. Your story is very emotional.

O: Haha, I usually make the character first, and then make the story to suit the character. What about you, Mr. T?

T: Sometimes I ran out of creativity and become tired. Usually I look from western movies, eastern wuxia (martial arts fiction), short stories, and legends for ideas.

O: I see. That's a great idea. Your characters are great. It must take a lot of effort to draw them?

T: Just a habit. Maybe I'm more influenced from old school.

O: The Ant arc is almost over? I think the latter half of the Ant arc is very special, and it gave me inspiration.

T: Thanks. I'm just drawing on and off, so there was a lot of break througout. I had some change in my style during the Ant arc. I'm impressed that One Piece always keeps the same style.

O: Sometimes I want to change my style, but it's risky. I'm sure Mr. T understands.

T: Yes, the publisher was concerned with the style of HXH and they are worried that the readers cannot accept, but I still pressed through. I want to show what I have in my mind clearly.

O: So, how far is HXH? Halfway?

T: It's hard to say. I have 5 or 6 stories in mind. If everything goes according to the plan, there should be at least 3 or 4 stories after the Ant arc. Of course sometimes unexpected things happen and mess up your plan. So, is One Piece over halfway done?

O: Yeah. I think I'm in too much of a rush. When a story is halfway done, I'm already thinking about the next story for my readers, so the story becomes rushed.

T: That means you never run out of creativity, which is a good thing.

O: The publisher helps a lot too. I usually tell them the general theme of the story, and they help me plan the details.

T: Shonen Jump has a lot of great works with a wide variety. Everything seems like they can go on for a long time. The new guys all have a sharp mind.

O: One Piece once worked with Toriko for a special. I think his (Toriko) work is very similar to early HXH. He must be influenced by Mr. T.

T: I feel the same, but my worldview is bigger than his. That's kind of like One Piece. Haha.

O: I see Mr. T is still a friendly guy.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Well, now I have no doubts why those are both my favorite mangakas xD
 

mak123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
520
Reaction score
64
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Haha, 4 arcs? How many years did it take to draw the chimera arc? 8 years? So 8*4= 32 years?
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Oda and Togashi are my favorite mangakas.
 

Host Samurai

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
1,367
Reaction score
677
Gender
Male
Country
Germany

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Let's hope that Togashi's plan gets messed up in a good way so that, he must make more Arcs then he previously planned. I'm definetly digging his new style - there were great and shows his versatility/creativity. Here are some examples: http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/HunterXHunter277/153510-6.html
http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/HunterXHunter284/153521-13.html
http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/HunterXHunter284/153521-15.html
I really like how Togashi drew Knuckle in chapter 284 and I especially like page 15.
 

ish3

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
455
Reaction score
143
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

This reminds me of this interview I don't want to link it since it's pretty old but Inoue Takehiko and Eichiro Oda had a very similar interview. Same with akira toriyama. A lot of the veterans from shonen have this calm relaxed idea of how they want their stories to go and funny enough they same to have a greater idea of the story then we think.

Inoue also talked to Oda with praise. Most of the veterans somewhat praise Oda for keeping his constant creativity and style without changing much of the theme. Although Takehiko is currently in a rut with Vagabond (like Togashi claimed he tends to be in) he continues to write REAL his other manga.

Well back on topic something about the next 3 to 4 arcs.....I have a feeling that it will be more like 5 to 6. Also after Gon is healed and they choose the next President of the Hunter Association we may have some sort of timeskip as for how long who knows. Keep in mind it wouldn't happen any time soon and this is just a theory.

Also am I the only one who thought that during the story so far Gon had turned 14 and about 2 years had passed since the story began? A lot of time has gone by and the fact he's still 12 is mind boggling. In strength, aura, knowledge, and how they can feel out most situations Gon and Killua have tremendously grown. Especially compared to the York Shin arc. I would have thought it was years along the line but they're still the same age. I find it fascinating.
 
Last edited:

Phantron

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
797
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Interviews like these don't tend to be very interesting. It's not like someone is going to say "I think your work totally sucks" to another fellow author, even if that's what they really thought. I don't think this interview would've gotten any attention if not for the fact Togashi mentions there are indeed plans after the Ant arc to go on for a while. Most people have big ideas when they design something. Whether they can put that together is another issue altogether.

I think only one year has passed. There's a second Hunter exam that Killua took around the middle of the GI arc, and doesn't look like there's enough time for another year after that.
 

~Andrew~

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
164
Reaction score
56
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Well, after reading the Interview, I still can't predict if he'll take no breaks anymore or less breaks oor shorter breaks. lol
He is an artist of the highest tier (in his category) and when he needs time to "refill" his creativity then he simply takes his time, most people in japan aren't taking much hiatus/holidays because they're afraid of loosing their jobs, right? But if the Publisher or whoever is taking too much pressure on an artist the result won't be good (in terms of quality and the artist's mentality which will undoubtly influence the Mangaka's work).

That's the answer I searched for. He needs creativity and that's why he's taking the hiatus and I believe it's the true reason for the breaks. If he would force himself to keep drawing story's without much creativity than his work wouldn't be true anymore, that's how I see it.
I wouldn't want to read a half-hearted HxH anyway.
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

Nah, the only reason he goes on breaks is because the author plainly hates writing manga. Its actually that simple, he even went as far as making a doushinji were he pretty much states he stopped writing yu yu hakusho because he was lazy (hence the rushed ending). Apparently the guy got so stressed out while writing yu yu hakusho he had a meltdown or something. I can't honestly imagine why togashi would start writing hunter hunter if he simply does not want to do this, specially if he could as easily work animating stuff and other works.

I don't agree. I think the whole Togashi hates the fans and is lazy is a angry fan theory.

Togashi working on the anime makes a lot more sense because

1. The anime is reboot and has restart the anime from episode 1
2. Togashi is overseeing the anime. Hence why it's closer to the manga
3. Anime's take time to create. Not just production work but all the legalities
4. There was also the Level E anime which Togashi probably spent time on

I mean it's seems like a pretty major coincidence that as soon as Hunter x Hunter
returns to Shonen Jump we get news of a Hunter x Hunter anime and also the
anime pretty much starts when the Chimera Ant arc ends. Which leads me to
believe that the Chimera Ant arc WILL be animated. Which would have taken
up more of Togashi's time.

Plus there's spending time with his wife and having a life outside manga.

Also doesn't Togashi draw the manga himself?
That right there proves Togashi is NOT lazy when it comes to manga.
 

~Andrew~

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
164
Reaction score
56
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hiatus (NOT CURRENTLY)

So, no Hiatus this time? Or is it the Chapter next Week where the Hiatus would normally start?

Great Chapter Anyway.
Also giving my Likes to Phantrons post.
Cheers.
 
Top