Country - Bulgaria | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Country Bulgaria

Meri_maslinkata

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hi everyone :eyeroll
I think to show you all my language.Bulgarian is Slanovic language,we write on Cyrillic alphabet.If enyone is interesting to learn bulgarian i will help him with joy :bow :woot

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Re: Bulgarian Thread

Geez, looks dificult oo
I'm not even native english speaker^^"
Could u tell me how do I greet in bulgarian? Starting from the basic xD

Last edited:

Adorien

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
I was searching for this! xD

Meri, I hope you don't mind me answering Falla.

To greet in Bulgarian, use "здрасти (zdrasti)"/"здравей (zdravei)", or "здравейте (zdraveite)" for plural/formal.
To say "goodbye", use "чао (chao)"/"довиждане (dovijdane)". The latter is more formal.

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ooo, I have a question! Not about language exactly, but more about gestures. Is it true that, in Bulgaria, the universal gestures for 'yes' and 'no' are opposite from most of the world? (nodding = 'no', shaking your head back and forth = 'yes') I know someone originally from Bulgaria who said this was the case and I just wanted to confirm. Sounds so confusing! :confused

Adorien

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Yeah, it's actually true. xD But like other things, it varies, I guess. I think younger people do both gestures for 'yes' and 'no'. You know how television and Internet influence people. :D Anyway, you can actually tell if a person is doing a gesture for 'no' or 'yes' from their face expression. It's not as confusing as it sounds. ^^ Maybe my explanation is confusing though. :oh

Anyway, feel free to ask anything! I guess I'm the only one around to answer. ^^

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! And don't worry, that makes perfect sense. ^^ Facial expression and tone of voice can go a long way to help people understand each other.

Is it just the case in Bulgaria or surrounding countries as well?

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. I honestly didn't notice that when I was in Sofia. :oh

Come to think of it...some of the elder folks who served me on the counter would indicate yes by nodding side to side when it came to me counting my levs. That's all I can remember. :XD

Whereas with the younger people (my age), I generally understood them straight away even though I couldn't understand a word they were saying. xDD I got the impression that those kind of gestures are more common and standard with the elder generations as oppose to the newer ones but I can't confirm that for sure. <_>

I liked the way people used "chao chao" to say goodbye. It sounded cool. Especially, the way the women would say it. :D I would just say chao and then they would reply with a "chao chao". xP

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Thanks! And don't worry, that makes perfect sense. ^^ Facial expression and tone of voice can go a long way to help people understand each other.

In Romania the gestures are the universal ones...

Adorien

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
I'm not sure. xD Btw, I actually came to know about our gestures from a joke I heard when I was... 13-14 maybe. Until then I actually didn't know we nod for 'no' and not for 'yes'. xD

I got the impression that those kind of gestures are more common and standard with the elder generations as oppose to the newer ones but I can't confirm that for sure. <_>

I liked the way people used "chao chao" to say goodbye. It sounded cool. Especially, the way the women would say it. :D I would just say chao and then they would reply with a "chao chao". xP
Yeah, it's kinda like that. ^^ You got it right, Jin! And that's actually what I tried to explain. xD

Yeah, "chao-chao" is like "bye-bye". Same thing. I'll remember to say goodbye to you like that when you come again. xD

In Romania the gestures are the universal ones...
So you nod head for 'yes' and shake it for 'no'?

wizzard

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Lol we had a place like this, I should've went exploring earlier :D

I think almost everything here can pass for a 'yes' you nod - it's means 'ok', you shake your head, same thing :D.
And in my life experience so far the only case when you nod when you're saying 'no' is when you're acknowledging the other person is right about something and you're agreeing with that by saying you're wrong, or something along those lines :)

The double negative is pretty fun to use. So it's extra confusing when someone is shaking his head (to move his brains) and says something completely different :D .