- Joined
- May 8, 2008
- Messages
- 1,056
- Reaction score
- 915
- Age
- 37
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2
Well yeah, but we are talking about series that could become big, like the new big things of JUMP.
Action is IMO already too saturated at the moment
ONE PIECE with a not-near ending on sight breaking records with each volume, Naruto which seems like its beginnning to end (LOL), BLEACH which from what Kubo said still has a long way to go, Hunter X Hunter which is a fan-favorite and seems like will have normal serialization (Hopefully), Toriko.. Which I haven't read, Reborn! which sells well, Nurarihyon which keeps yoyo-ing and Medaka Box which recent anime adaptation confirmation will provide at least a year of safety (Likely more) to it.
Comedy is also pretty filled: Kochikame, Gintama and Sket Dance (Although I have heard it being more slice of life?) and Beelzebub (I really don't know if this is comedy or action.. I just watched its anime's first episode and I couldn't really tell LOL)
Slice of Life: Bakuman.. Just Bakuman, I think?
Sports: Just Kuroko.. That's it.
Is interesting to note that all of the mangas I mentioned except for Reborn and Kochikame have anime adaptations either currently or in the works.
Then there are a couple of other genres that can be done:
Romance: Historically if the story is good the manga it will have a run of 15 volumes average (I's 15, VGAi 15, I100% 18, KoR 18 -IIRC, TLR 18) and be made into an anime/OVA... Though it likely won't be the next hit JUMP needs.
Stupid Comedy/Gag: I think JUMP needs another gag like Jaguar, that type of comedy.
Sports: JUMP really has been trying to get another sport hit but they just haven't arrived.. A good sport manga has potential to become a big hit.
Dark theme: Now this is what we have been talking about and we all know that there is a dark manga that did well in JUMP and basically took over the manga world by surprise, Death Note. It doesn't even have to be gory or violent, i.e. Death Note wasn't violent.
Also a manga about gambling could work too.. Dunno JUMP has to taste waters lol.
As for the core audience of JUMP, I think the magazine has been changing with times, when the public wanted more gory, macho manga they had HnK, Otokojuku and all that, then Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya came with their not-uber muscular characters and tendencies to make manga changed.
Its weird how in the 60s Harenchi Gakuen was soooo wild and all that when in actual times it would be considered tame for today's standards while violence and gore has been reducen.. Its kinda very different from most countries lol.
But while the magazine might be named Weekly Shonen Jump the audience has changed and now is bought by a mayority of people in their 20s (IIRC?) so that's why I think a darker manga would be appropiate for this type of audience, even when there are Seinen magazines, what I am trying to say is basically publishing a manga with a "Seinen" feeling in JUMP because JUMP will actually make it more popular AND make it have an anime if it gets popular (Which is pretty much what they did with Death Note IMO)
Well yeah, but we are talking about series that could become big, like the new big things of JUMP.
Action is IMO already too saturated at the moment
ONE PIECE with a not-near ending on sight breaking records with each volume, Naruto which seems like its beginnning to end (LOL), BLEACH which from what Kubo said still has a long way to go, Hunter X Hunter which is a fan-favorite and seems like will have normal serialization (Hopefully), Toriko.. Which I haven't read, Reborn! which sells well, Nurarihyon which keeps yoyo-ing and Medaka Box which recent anime adaptation confirmation will provide at least a year of safety (Likely more) to it.
Comedy is also pretty filled: Kochikame, Gintama and Sket Dance (Although I have heard it being more slice of life?) and Beelzebub (I really don't know if this is comedy or action.. I just watched its anime's first episode and I couldn't really tell LOL)
Slice of Life: Bakuman.. Just Bakuman, I think?
Sports: Just Kuroko.. That's it.
Is interesting to note that all of the mangas I mentioned except for Reborn and Kochikame have anime adaptations either currently or in the works.
Then there are a couple of other genres that can be done:
Romance: Historically if the story is good the manga it will have a run of 15 volumes average (I's 15, VGAi 15, I100% 18, KoR 18 -IIRC, TLR 18) and be made into an anime/OVA... Though it likely won't be the next hit JUMP needs.
Stupid Comedy/Gag: I think JUMP needs another gag like Jaguar, that type of comedy.
Sports: JUMP really has been trying to get another sport hit but they just haven't arrived.. A good sport manga has potential to become a big hit.
Dark theme: Now this is what we have been talking about and we all know that there is a dark manga that did well in JUMP and basically took over the manga world by surprise, Death Note. It doesn't even have to be gory or violent, i.e. Death Note wasn't violent.
Also a manga about gambling could work too.. Dunno JUMP has to taste waters lol.
As for the core audience of JUMP, I think the magazine has been changing with times, when the public wanted more gory, macho manga they had HnK, Otokojuku and all that, then Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya came with their not-uber muscular characters and tendencies to make manga changed.
Its weird how in the 60s Harenchi Gakuen was soooo wild and all that when in actual times it would be considered tame for today's standards while violence and gore has been reducen.. Its kinda very different from most countries lol.
But while the magazine might be named Weekly Shonen Jump the audience has changed and now is bought by a mayority of people in their 20s (IIRC?) so that's why I think a darker manga would be appropiate for this type of audience, even when there are Seinen magazines, what I am trying to say is basically publishing a manga with a "Seinen" feeling in JUMP because JUMP will actually make it more popular AND make it have an anime if it gets popular (Which is pretty much what they did with Death Note IMO)
Last edited:
R I think Jump could make the series more interesting.