- Joined
- Apr 28, 2010
- Messages
- 215
- Reaction score
- 232
- Age
- 37
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Not necessarily...other Jump manga have taken a slower pace to get to the first match like Slam Dunk...that took forever (volume 3 I think). And even if it hasn't gotten to the matches yet, stylistically, it's still very much Jump-like in my opinion. Everything from the characters, the setup to get him into the club, and the ghost helping him out.After reading up to chapter 8, I'm beginning to think Kurogane might be WSM-type of sport manga. If if followed WSJ pace, then we should already see or started the parctice match.
I don't think Slam Dunk is good example, since it started about 20 years ago and the readers from now and 20 years ago are very different; plus, first eight volumes of Slam Dunk is mostly mixture of sport and delinquent manga.Not necessarily...other Jump manga have taken a slower pace to get to the first match like Slam Dunk...that took forever (volume 3 I think). And even if it hasn't gotten to the matches yet, stylistically, it's still very much Jump-like in my opinion. Everything from the characters, the setup to get him into the club, and the ghost helping him out.
Then, can you give me example for WSJ sport series not only focus on games from Slam Dunk to Kurogane?I think Slam Dunk is a fine example actually because, even though it was twenty years ago, it shows that sports manga can be done without only focusing on games. Most sport manga focus on the games/matches/fights that take place instead of other elements, even back when Slam Dunk was around. Kurogane is going to jump into the matches soon enough I'm sure, but maybe it'll be popular enough to not have to rely on them to stay alive like other series (...*cough* every sports series in Jump in the last five years *cough*)
Well the obvious one's that come to mind are Rookies and Rokudenashi Blues. Now I recognize that there aren't many and the normal Jump sports style is game after game, my only point was that it's not that out of place in Jump because it hasn't had matches yet. It's still moving at a considerably faster pace than anything in Magazine, i.e. Area no Kishi (took forever to get going DThen, can you give me example for WSJ sport series not only focus on games from Slam Dunk to Kurogane?
.Rookies is one of few series that not only focus on sport, but Rookies was more like baseball-themed GTO/Gokusen. Rokudenashi doesn't count because I said series that started after Slam Dunk (I didn't specified clearly on that part), furthermore Rokudenashi is more cosider as delinquent manga rather than sport.Well the obvious one's that come to mind are Rookies and Rokudenashi Blues. Now I recognize that there aren't many and the normal Jump sports style is game after game, my only point was that it's not that out of place in Jump because it hasn't had matches yet. It's still moving at a considerably faster pace than anything in Magazine, i.e. Area no Kishi (took forever to get going D.
But next week should be the start of the practice match!! I'm excited to see how Kurogane will do. Even I'm sure he'll be dominated, I'd like to think he will at least show some interesting skills, enough to impress Yodaka maybe.
I totally loved the 'Do you have a disciple, is he strong?' dialogueI love how Yodaka just accepts that Sayuri is a ghost from the Edo period and starts fighting herBut next week should be the start of the practice match!! I'm excited to see how Kurogane will do. Even I'm sure he'll be dominated, I'd like to think he will at least show some interesting skills, enough to impress Yodaka maybe.
"Not at all ^_^ "
I feel like the point of Yodaka not being surprised was almost entirely meant to be comical. It shows how laid back and relaxed he is but in a funny way. It's the first time I've seen that in a sports series that uses a ghost mentor. I liked it.Actually I didn't like the fact that Yodake wasn't surprised of the Ghost. Didn't rly fit in well, considering that Sayuri is hiding her form from almost everyone in the manga, also Kurogano was surprised himself as he met her the first time. Seemed to me as if the author wasn't planning that well in advance. Maybe Im thinking too much.
Well, not exactly a sport series, Hikaru no Go did this method too, before Kurogane.It's the first time I've seen that in a sports series that uses a ghost mentor. I liked it.
Ah I left out some of what I meant to say D: I meant to say a sports series that uses a ghost mentor that allows that mentor to be seen by others besides the main character. Quite a few have used the ghost mentor thingWell, not exactly a sport series, Hikaru no Go did this method too, before Kurogane.
Maybe one day I'll learn to proofread >.>