Shounen Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
After reading up to chapter 8, I'm beginning to think Kurogane might be WSM-type of sport manga. If if followed WSJ pace, then we should already see or started the parctice match.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
After reading up to chapter 8, I'm beginning to think Kurogane might be WSM-type of sport manga. If if followed WSJ pace, then we should already see or started the parctice match.
Not necessarily...other Jump manga have taken a slower pace to get to the first match like Slam Dunk...that took forever (volume 3 I think). And even if it hasn't gotten to the matches yet, stylistically, it's still very much Jump-like in my opinion. Everything from the characters, the setup to get him into the club, and the ghost helping him out.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Not necessarily...other Jump manga have taken a slower pace to get to the first match like Slam Dunk...that took forever (volume 3 I think). And even if it hasn't gotten to the matches yet, stylistically, it's still very much Jump-like in my opinion. Everything from the characters, the setup to get him into the club, and the ghost helping him out.
I don't think Slam Dunk is good example, since it started about 20 years ago and the readers from now and 20 years ago are very different; plus, first eight volumes of Slam Dunk is mostly mixture of sport and delinquent manga.

The WSJ sport in late 2000s are pretty fast pace as compared to WSM's late 2000s sport series.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I think Slam Dunk is a fine example actually because, even though it was twenty years ago, it shows that sports manga can be done without only focusing on games. Most sport manga focus on the games/matches/fights that take place instead of other elements, even back when Slam Dunk was around. Kurogane is going to jump into the matches soon enough I'm sure, but maybe it'll be popular enough to not have to rely on them to stay alive like other series (...*cough* every sports series in Jump in the last five years *cough*)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I think Slam Dunk is a fine example actually because, even though it was twenty years ago, it shows that sports manga can be done without only focusing on games. Most sport manga focus on the games/matches/fights that take place instead of other elements, even back when Slam Dunk was around. Kurogane is going to jump into the matches soon enough I'm sure, but maybe it'll be popular enough to not have to rely on them to stay alive like other series (...*cough* every sports series in Jump in the last five years *cough*)
Then, can you give me example for WSJ sport series not only focus on games from Slam Dunk to Kurogane?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Then, can you give me example for WSJ sport series not only focus on games from Slam Dunk to Kurogane?
Well the obvious one's that come to mind are Rookies and Rokudenashi Blues. Now I recognize that there aren't many and the normal Jump sports style is game after game, my only point was that it's not that out of place in Jump because it hasn't had matches yet. It's still moving at a considerably faster pace than anything in Magazine, i.e. Area no Kishi (took forever to get going D:).
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Well the obvious one's that come to mind are Rookies and Rokudenashi Blues. Now I recognize that there aren't many and the normal Jump sports style is game after game, my only point was that it's not that out of place in Jump because it hasn't had matches yet. It's still moving at a considerably faster pace than anything in Magazine, i.e. Area no Kishi (took forever to get going D:).
Rookies is one of few series that not only focus on sport, but Rookies was more like baseball-themed GTO/Gokusen. Rokudenashi doesn't count because I said series that started after Slam Dunk (I didn't specified clearly on that part), furthermore Rokudenashi is more cosider as delinquent manga rather than sport.
 

BlackHair

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,503
Reaction score
1,005
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I must say I like this manga. It is a good change for me. The reason I like the Japanese culture is mainly bc of their samurai. I think Kendo (in our time) comes close to that. Furthermore it is a weekly sounen, which also seems to get scanlated on a regular basis. I couldn't ask for more. I definitely looking forward to this.
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I love how Yodaka just accepts that Sayuri is a ghost from the Edo period and starts fighting her :XD But next week should be the start of the practice match!! I'm excited to see how Kurogane will do. Even I'm sure he'll be dominated, I'd like to think he will at least show some interesting skills, enough to impress Yodaka maybe.
 

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
3,207
Gender
Hidden
Country
Slovakia
I love how Yodaka just accepts that Sayuri is a ghost from the Edo period and starts fighting her :XD But next week should be the start of the practice match!! I'm excited to see how Kurogane will do. Even I'm sure he'll be dominated, I'd like to think he will at least show some interesting skills, enough to impress Yodaka maybe.
I totally loved the 'Do you have a disciple, is he strong?' dialogue :XD "Not at all ^_^ "
Here we thought that Cloud Strife (sorry, I still don't remember his name >_<) was really strong, but seeing how Yodaka basically kept up with Sayuri.. anyway, Kurogane does have a chance to impress Yodaka (his eyes + he probably got at least a bit better in Sakura Sword Style and Yodaka should recognize the style), ofc he won't win anything...
I also look forward to others from that noble school, but seeing them, I don't think Kurogane's school can win even with the strategy to focus on 3 wins of weaker characters.
 

BlackHair

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,503
Reaction score
1,005
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Actually I didn't like the fact that Yodake wasn't surprised of the Ghost. Didn't rly fit in well, considering that Sayuri is hiding her form from almost everyone in the manga, also Kurogano was surprised himself as he met her the first time. Seemed to me as if the author wasn't planning that well in advance. Maybe Im thinking too much.

Regardless good chapter. Im glad that we have already a ongoing strong "antagonist" (if u can call him that) in the story. Just like in OP with Mihwak. We have a advanced rival and a goal standing at the top, not to mention the art of the manga is great as well. Im seeing bright future for this series, I hope it gets popular.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Actually I didn't like the fact that Yodake wasn't surprised of the Ghost. Didn't rly fit in well, considering that Sayuri is hiding her form from almost everyone in the manga, also Kurogano was surprised himself as he met her the first time. Seemed to me as if the author wasn't planning that well in advance. Maybe Im thinking too much.
I feel like the point of Yodaka not being surprised was almost entirely meant to be comical. It shows how laid back and relaxed he is but in a funny way. It's the first time I've seen that in a sports series that uses a ghost mentor. I liked it.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
It's the first time I've seen that in a sports series that uses a ghost mentor. I liked it.
Well, not exactly a sport series, Hikaru no Go did this method too, before Kurogane.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Well, not exactly a sport series, Hikaru no Go did this method too, before Kurogane.
Ah I left out some of what I meant to say D: I meant to say a sports series that uses a ghost mentor that allows that mentor to be seen by others besides the main character. Quite a few have used the ghost mentor thing :p Maybe one day I'll learn to proofread >.>
 

Hangedman

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
223
Reaction score
342
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
chapter 11 chinese scan here
 
Top