Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Why would they even consider canceling Kurogane right now? It's done nothing but rank quite well. Unless it just bombs straight to the bottom it will survive the next round of cancellations.
Guess it was more a wish than a prediction.

On another note,I guess Kubo's kinda misunderstanding his fans lately.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

http://www.jumpfesta.com/booth/jumpstudio.html

Based on that link, it said the mangaka also appears in stage. So, we might see some of author's faces.
Well, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. I've been following Jump FESTA for so many years and some authors, like Oda, Kishimoto and Kubo are there every year but due to very strict "No photos!" restrictions all over the place, we never get that much graphic material...

Jump #49 (14/11) :
Gensō! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Packy (Cover & Lead Color Page, New Series, 32 pg.)
Who actually started calling the series "gensō"!? I've been reading that over and over but the kanji clearly read "genson". I guess it's just loads of copypasta being served...
But maybe we can break that chain, eventually.

EDIT: Just read the raw, they are using the (slightly adjusted) reading "genzon".

-----

Bleach's position gives me facial cramps... Trollface won't wear off. I love these weeks. :tem
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Should we really expect that Medaka will also have the cover next issue?
No, it's happened before that the lead CP doesn't always get the cover. But for the sake of the anime, I really hope this isn't one of those cases.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/59379

Shaman King's sequel, Shaman King -Flowers-, going to be serialized in Jump Kai on April of 2012. It is going to be about You's son, Hana.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Haato

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
100
Reaction score
64
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/59379

Shaman King's sequel, Shaman King -Flowers-, going to be serialized in Jump Kai on April of 2012. It is going to be about You's son, Hana.
Woah, That kinda came out of nowhere, You's son, huh? I think I'll look forward to this :) I wonder how similar the story will be to the original SK,
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Didn't 'You' mean something like Leaf?Guess that's why his son is called Hana,despite the fact that it sounds like a female name.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I'm somewhat confused, I thought they already did this? Though that was probably a oneshot of sorts, more Shaman King so I guess it's something to look forward to.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

It is kind of weird to see that Yokoda Takuma, author who just released one shot few weeks ago, going to start his first serialization in Monthly Young Magzine (Kodansha).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I am preparing myself for the sad, inevitable end of St&rs. Whatever comes of volume 1 it can't be enough to salvage a series that has barely polled above the bottom five. It does not appear that a more recent series will cushion it either. Both Kagami nor Kurogane are doing well, maybe not top five series but still, neither are bottom five fodder either. Hunter x Hunter will likely save a series, assuming he is only serializing twenty chapters it will go on hiatus towards the end of the month. I am expecting Magico to end this winter too. It's been almost a year and it has yet to set the world on fire. It rarely polls in the first half of the magazine and sales are mediocre, by Jump standards. I expect the editors will have seen enough that they would rather give Kurogane and Kagami a chance instead.
 

OPN

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
19
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/59379

Shaman King's sequel, Shaman King -Flowers-, going to be serialized in Jump Kai on April of 2012. It is going to be about You's son, Hana.
im greatly disappointed in this news dont get my wrong i LOVE the shamen king manga but i cant see this being good since i dont see how they could do a story maybe im just butt hurt over that there isnt a new anime. this weeks toc made me both happy and sad. happy that bleach is polling bad again and happy that were getting medaka info next week though im surprised we didnt get kuroko anime info first since they already have the anime designs out.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

It is confirmed that St&rs's first week tank sale is lower than 24,710.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I am preparing myself for the sad, inevitable end of St&rs. Whatever comes of volume 1 it can't be enough to salvage a series that has barely polled above the bottom five. It does not appear that a more recent series will cushion it either. Both Kagami nor Kurogane are doing well, maybe not top five series but still, neither are bottom five fodder either. Hunter x Hunter will likely save a series, assuming he is only serializing twenty chapters it will go on hiatus towards the end of the month. I am expecting Magico to end this winter too. It's been almost a year and it has yet to set the world on fire. It rarely polls in the first half of the magazine and sales are mediocre, by Jump standards. I expect the editors will have seen enough that they would rather give Kurogane and Kagami a chance instead.
I gotta agree with you there Kaiten. It's a shame to see ST&RS going but I can't imagine that they will let it stay now that Kurogana and Kagami are ranking well. Not sure about Magico yet, the story doesn't seem to go in a direction were it could end soon, at least not for now. It may still have a chance of surviving if one of these series start to rate low or if both Nisekoi and the new gag manga rate low from the beginning.
It may be early but I really want Nisekoi to stay, the first chapter was fairly interesting/entertaining and I expect a good series from Komi.

The rest of the TOC is fine with me, just not happy about Mago still ranking so low. I really enjoy it and don't really get why it fell so low in the middle/end of the "Kyoto Arc".
Really hope it stays in WSJ.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I'm happy that Toriko grabbed a spot in the top 3 and Bakuman in the top 5. Kuroko got in the top 5 again as well. I really need to catch up with this series.

Medaka grabbing #7 is just fine with me. I'm really looking forward to the lead color next week and hopefully it manages to grab the cover as well. I want Kumagawa and Ajimu to be on it with Medaka. *wishful thinking*

Magico and Harusigawa are out of the bottom 5 which makes me happy. Both may or may not live a long time but I'll enjoy both for as long as they have got life.

Always nice to see Bleach low. So much for it "reclaiming" anything. The series has serious amounts of fatigue to it at this point.

As for the bottom 5, I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't care much about anything down there atm and Hunter x Hunter is never getting canceled.

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/59379

Shaman King's sequel, Shaman King -Flowers-, going to be serialized in Jump Kai on April of 2012. It is going to be about You's son, Hana.
Kai? Jesus how many Jumps are there now?

That being said, I am a Shaman King fanboy and will like revisiting the series once again.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Jump Square • Monthly Shōnen Jump • Weekly Shōnen Jump • V Jump • Hobby's Jump • Business Jump • Super Jump • Ultra Jump • Weekly Young Jump • Jump X[Kai] [some may be discontinued now hehe]

Enough, obviously not all for manga.^^ It's their brand and draws readers from other Shueisha magazines, like BILD here in germany.
 
Last edited:

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/59379

Shaman King's sequel, Shaman King -Flowers-, going to be serialized in Jump Kai on April of 2012. It is going to be about You's son, Hana.
Really now!? Am looking for it being the Shaman King fan that I am.

It is confirmed that St&rs's first week tank sale is lower than 24,710.
Awww man....It didn't even crack 50,000? That sucks.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I gotta agree with you there Kaiten. It's a shame to see ST&RS going but I can't imagine that they will let it stay now that Kurogana and Kagami are ranking well. Not sure about Magico yet, the story doesn't seem to go in a direction were it could end soon, at least not for now. It may still have a chance of surviving if one of these series start to rate low or if both Nisekoi and the new gag manga rate low from the beginning.
It may be early but I really want Nisekoi to stay, the first chapter was fairly interesting/entertaining and I expect a good series from Komi.

The rest of the TOC is fine with me, just not happy about Mago still ranking so low. I really enjoy it and don't really get why it fell so low in the middle/end of the "Kyoto Arc".
Really hope it stays in WSJ.
Jump has never been afraid of canceled series having rushed endings. If Magico is next to go, it will go regardless of plot. I can't see any of the new series rating low enough, long enough to provide adequate cushion either. Nor can I really see St&rs surviving, unless the next round of cuts is further off than I think. If they are not going to cancel more series in late November/December things would be different.

Jump Square • Monthly Shōnen Jump • Weekly Shōnen Jump • V Jump • Hobby's Jump • Business Jump • Super Jump • Ultra Jump • Weekly Young Jump • Jump X[Kai] [some may be discontinued now hehe]

Enough, obviously not all for manga.^^ It's their brand and draws readers from other Shueisha magazines, like BILD here in germany.
Monthly Jump is long gone, SQ replaced it. Business and Super Jump have been merged into one magazine, Grand Jump. The first issue comes out next week, on the 16th. It will have a monthly companion, Grand Jump Premium, debuting in December.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Awww man....It didn't even crack 50,000? That sucks.
The first volume of a new series almost never sells 50,000 copies in it's first week, not unless there is a lot of hype or the mangaka is already famous. Toriko did, Bakuman did, but I can't think of anything else. Oricon does not reflect POS but the number of copies shipped to retailers. And retailers simply do not order large numbers of new books by first time authors. About 25,000 is normal for a new series, nothing wrong there. If it were polling better the number of copies sold would not even be worth discussing. But it would have been huge, almost unprecedented news if a new series, perennially in the bottom five, sold 50,000 copies it's first week.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

The first volume of a new series almost never sells 50,000 copies in it's first week, not unless there is a lot of hype or the mangaka is already famous. Toriko did, Bakuman did, but I can't think of anything else.
Mago did. I belive that Beelzebub did too but I'm not 100% positive.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Just under 50,000. But Mago did not debut in the bottom five, it was consistently in the top ten. Then again Double Arts debuted at 15, selling 40,000 copies, and was canceled after three volumes. Beelzebub did break 50,000 but again, Beelzebub was consistently high ranking from the start. Series with hype, like Toriko or Beelzebub, sell over 50,000. Series without have slower starts. Series that initially chart high sell more there first week than those that do not. First week sales of the first volume of a new series mean less than chart position. And chart position means more than sales for brand new series.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Generally speaking, new authors don't get as many actual books printed. They don't announce how many get printed (except in rare cases like with One Piece where the number constantly breaks records) But if St&rs only got like 30K printed, even if it sold every copy it wouldn't be that high.

Though, seeing how popular Jump is, they may print a lot more even for new authors compared to other magazines.
So St&rs will be fine, and will get additional printings of the first volume really fast if it sells out. Which will lead to a larger initial printing of the second volume 3 months from now (assuming it's not canceled by then).
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

St&rs failed to make into top 50.

Plus, based on Shueisha website, there is no plan for reprinting volume 1 of St&rs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top