Fall NFL Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

No. I'm being indecisive and not picking either. It's a game I would never put money on, no matter what.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. My gut tells me that the Patriots win though.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I still don't know what to say about the San Fransisco - New Orleans game Saturday. Easily one of the best play off games in recent memories, no doubt about that. Who would have thought that Alex Smith would out duel Drew Brees, convincingly, and twice in the same game. Unbelievable. The Giants looked absolutely dominant against The Packers, a very impressive win. Whoever said that hard hitting, defensive football was a thing of the past needs to be slapped. If the Ravens can beat New England than it will be a clean sweep: all of these historic offenses will be out of the play offs. Even if New England wins it goes to show that all offense, no defense teams such as New Orleans and Green Bay are paper tigers.

The Ravens looked less than impressive but a win is a win, even an ugly one. They will at least have the opportunity to play to their potential next week. Though it will amuse to no end if New England gets to the Super Bowl only to see a repeat of 2007: Just like the Giants team they met in that Super Bowl both of the teams in this years NFC Championship game are ideally built to defeat teams like New England, as demonstrated this weekend.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Why would it amuse you if you're a Redskins fan? I know hating Belichick and Brady is an easy thing...

The Ravens can beat New England, I just don't know if they will. Brady has been clutch this year, but they don't have a single victory against a winning team and two of their three losses were against playoff teams (Giants, Steelers)...that has to mean something. I know you play who you play, out of the 12 playoff teams this year, the Ravens have swept three of them (Steelers, Houston, Cincinnati).

That Denver-New England game was embarrassing. Maybe I'm completely offbase, but I don't understand why you wouldn't play your back-up QB when you're winning by 4 TDs...and to have Brady punt the ball on third down? I was praying someone came low...disgraceful in my opinion, but that's Belichick for you. I've always believe there really is no such thing as running up the score in the NFL, but when you're one victory from the Super Bowl and your All-Universe QB is still out there taking snaps when there's nothing to gain from it...I don't get it.

The Giants-49ers game is a toss up, the spread proves that. The SF defense has been more consistent, but the NYG's offense is more explosive. A really good matchup. Regardless of who comes out on top this Sunday, the Super Bowl will have interesting headlines. A rematch of Super Bowl XXXV (NYG-BAL), a rematch of Super Bowl XLII (NYG-NE), the Harbaugh Bowl (SF-BAL), or Brady-Belichick making their fifth Super Bowl Appearance against the 49ers.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm probably the only person outside of Boston rooting for the Pats (only because Brady's a Michigan man). I personally don't mind the whole leaving your QB in the game. It's not like they were putting up points in the 2nd half anyway (They only got 3 points in the 2nd if memory serves), and you certainly don't take Brady out in the 3rd unless you're up by 60 imo. The 3rd down punt thing I wouldn't have done, but it makes sense from a strategic perspective I guess. Remember, this is the same coach that let Flutie drop kick an extra point one time.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see if the 49ers can make it to the super bowl, but I would also find it hilarious if Eli Manning wins another super bowl much to Troy Aikman's chagrin. All the crap he takes (Coughlin too) it would be awesome if he ends with more super bowl rings than his much beloved big brother.

The only team I'm openly rooting against is the Ravens (can't root for any NFC North teams besides the Bungals). So that means, my prediction for Super Bowl Champion is the Ravens :p.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm probably the only person outside of Boston rooting for the Pats (only because Brady's a Michigan man). I personally don't mind the whole leaving your QB in the game. It's not like they were putting up points in the 2nd half anyway (They only got 3 points in the 2nd if memory serves), and you certainly don't take Brady out in the 3rd unless you're up by 60 imo. The 3rd down punt thing I wouldn't have done, but it makes sense from a strategic perspective I guess. Remember, this is the same coach that let Flutie drop kick an extra point one time.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see if the 49ers can make it to the super bowl, but I would also find it hilarious if Eli Manning wins another super bowl much to Troy Aikman's chagrin. All the crap he takes (Coughlin too) it would be awesome if he ends with more super bowl rings than his much beloved big brother.

The only team I'm openly rooting against is the Ravens (can't root for any NFC North teams besides the Bungals). So that means, my prediction for Super Bowl Champion is the Ravens :p.
Yeah, but the way that game was going, there was just no chance of Denver making it a game. They don't have the type of offense that could catch up regardless of who was playing QB.

What did Troy Aikman say? I can't say I'm rooting for the NYG though, since I automatically dislike NY teams, that's just in my blood :XD

So you are a fan of underdog teams yet you're rooting for the Patriots? That makes no sense :XD But I like your bad luck curse you're giving the Ravens :derp

I can't really understate the significance of us playing in a Super Bowl HOSTED in Indianapolis, much less if we end up winning it. Raymond Berry handing us the trophy if we win? :fail I wonder how often that will be brought up if we win on Sunday.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Agh, about the Aikman thing, I can't verify this as I didn't watch much of the game. Hell, I can't even remember where I read this (probably somebody's facebook status), but I heard he wasn't giving Eli no love for his play in the game. Granted there is probably not much credibility in this as it was from a Giants fan, but anything that makes Aikman look bad I tend to believe :p.

Oh, I just realized though, while its true that the I've had a pretty poor run of teams I want to win actually winning these playoffs, it should be noted that my least favorite team in each round was eliminated (first the Steelers, and then the Saints). So who knows which way my Karma is going at this point (it screwed me over big time on the first day :p).
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I actually think Aikman is one of the better Color Commentators. I'd much rather listen to him than Phil Simms (Mr. I-don't-know-how-to-form-complete-sentences-or-thoughts-for-that-matter) or Dan Dierdorf (Big Ben is Jesus Christ reborn).
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Wow! As glad as I am that the Ravens lost, I hate seeing teams lose like that. Rather than being happy that the team I was rooting for won, I just feel bad for the kicker that missed the field goal (when it's a longer field goal it's not so bad, but missing from 32 all I can think about is how the kicker must feel like sh*t).
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

This one hurts A LOT. I don't think the wound will ever heal completely. Flacco outplayed Brady, but the people around him continue to not step up when it matters most. Lee Evans dropping that pass, going for it on 4th and 6 instead of punting it in the earlier series. I would have even accepted them going for a FG in that situation because it was a chance at points. Trying to convert on 4th and 6? Why? Punting the ball, even if the Ravens weren't able to pin the Patriots back and get a touchback - that's still better than giving them the ball back near midfield.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

How Harbough failed to use his final time out is beyond me. That always bugs the hell out of me, whenever a coach fails to use all of their time outs during a close game.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

How Harbough failed to use his final time out is beyond me. That always bugs the hell out of me, whenever a coach fails to use all of their time outs during a close game.
I usually agree with that, especially in the 1st half. However, it was a 32-yard field goal. He was down on the field and ready to kick with more than 10 seconds left on the play clock. If he had called the timeout and Cundiff still missed, he would have been the goat for icing his own kicker. The timeout should have been called, maybe they should have taken a delay of game penalty...but the game was lost on the Evans drop.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

There must have been some point during the 4th quarter where stopping the clock, huddling up, and drawing up a designed play would have been useful. Great coaches never leave a time out on the table when they are down by 3 in the fourth quarter, particularly in a play-off game. Harbough is a good coach but he made some boneheaded decisions, both this week and against Houston. Not as questionable as Andy Reid's decision making process but still pretty derpy.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

There must have been some point during the 4th quarter where stopping the clock, huddling up, and drawing up a designed play would have been useful. Great coaches never leave a time out on the table when they are down by 3 in the fourth quarter, particularly in a play-off game. Harbough is a good coach but he made some boneheaded decisions, both this week and against Houston. Not as questionable as Andy Reid's decision making process but still pretty derpy.
Apparently Cundiff is saying the scoreboard in Foxborough was displaying the Down incorrectly and said it led to confusion in him being ready. Other Ravens have said the same thing. Supposedly the coaching staff was pissed at him. If any of that is true, SOMEONE...even Cundiff himself could have called timeout. I don't know, it seems like people are over-analyzing this. Harbaugh is generally good with time management, but every once and while he looks like his old boss Reid out there. He even squandered away a shot to make the Patriots punt deep in their own territory before halftime.
 

Asahina

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
376
Reaction score
266
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. My gut tells me that the Patriots win though.
YESSS! YEAAAAH!THE New York GIANTS won!!!


[td]WOOOOOT!!!! In your faces!!! I LOVE THE GIANTS!!!! YEEAAAAA!!!!
[/td]

In the next Super Bowl of 2013, my gut tells me that the NY-Giants will win AGAIN.

And wow, Madonna was on fire!!! :teehee
Well, that's all I wanted to rant about. :cheez
Logging out! :super
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

While I can not claim to like the Giants, hats off to the win. Definitely one of the best runs of recent years. Can't say it was a surprise either, they have dominated six straight games. When the Giants got the ball back late in the fourth quarter, down by two, it felt almost predictable. Eli would score. While I am not prepared to compare him to Unitas or Montana there is no doubt he is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

All season the pundits were asking if defense mattered anymore, if physical football was needed to win a Super Bowl. The Giants answered that question. New Orleans, Detroit, Green Bay, and New England all lost to teams that played physical, punishing football.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Saying Eli Manning is a first-ballot Hall of Famer is premature. He could die tomorrow and I wouldn't vote him in based on his body of work up until now. The Pro Football Hall of Fame isn't hard to get into though, compared to the MLB's Hall of Fame.

Anyway, the everything about last night was underwhelming. I'm glad the Patriots lost, they had no business being there anyway as far as I'm concerned.

My quote was about the game between the Ravens and the Patriots some weeks ago Asahina, I gave no prediction here on who would win the Super Bowl, but I felt the Giants definitely had the momentum.

The commercials were underwhelming (only a few were decent), the Halftime Show wasn't awful sounding, it was impressive to look at but I'm not a Madonna fan anyways. 31 minutes for Halftime is ridiculous though, if I was the Patriots I'd have a legitimate gripe, as well as how much longer the commercial breaks are for the Super Bowl. We're slowly but steadily marching towards a scenario where the game that is played on Superbowl Sunday isn't even genuine football anymore. The circumstances are completely different compared to every other game played during the season. The game was sort of boring until the latter part of the fourth quarter. Maybe I'm biased because I'm not really over the Ravens losing, but the night was pretty uneventful for me.
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Re: The NFL Thread

I thought that until the last minutes the game was bit boring too.
Anyway, I have mixed fellings, I don't like the Mannings but thanks to Bill Simmons I don't like the Patriots either so I was kind of happy with the Giants victory
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm indifferent to the Patriots but hate the Giants.

My feeling is that if Dan Fouts and Warren Moon are hall of famers, Eli should be too. Football is not really a numbers game like baseball is, qualifications are far more subjective, especially for quarterback. Apparently the qualifications for are much harder to meet for Wide Receivers and coaches.

srsly. How did Curtis Martin get in ahead of Bill Parcells -_-;

My first mock draft of the season: http://draftdebacled.com/PublishedDraft.aspx?mdid=27991
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Curtis Martin is without a doubt a 1st ballot HOFer IMO. But no, I don't understand Bill Parcell's not getting in. My only thought is that maybe his stint with the Cowboys tarnished his legacy because he didn't have much success. I also don't understand how Cris Carter didn't get inducted either...but knowing how the HOF convenes and votes, I doubt anyone went to bat for him. No one liked the guy when he played.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Who are you Mel Kiper Jr.? :rofl

I did see a mock draft or two earlier in the year and both had us taking the Center from Wisconsin. I don't really know how you can say there will be trades though...most don't even bother trying to predict those.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

He went to the playoffs with Dallas. He did not win a playoff game but made the Cowboys relevant again. Most of the current core, including Romo and Ware, are Parcell's guy. Wilbon joked that maybe the voters are afraid he will start coaching again before the ceremony. To me he and Buddy Ryan are the best defensive coaches of the last 30 years, responsible for modernizing defensive football. All of the coaches I can think of with better resumes than Parcells are already in the Hall.

Curtis Martin had great numbers but he was never a player that worried me when watching the Jets. I never felt like he had to be accounted for or contained, that he would be the difference late in a close game. He was good for 4 yards a carry and 30 carries a game but was a rarely a game changer. Except for Jim Brown all of the top ten in career rushing played in my lifetime. Every one of them were game breakers in their own way, except Curtis Martin.

Because there are only two quarterbacks worth a first round pick and one is going first, anybody who wants Robert Griffin will have to move up. St. Louis and Minnesota drafted quarterbacks high in the last two drafts. Both can move down, accumulate extra picks, and still draft for need. Cleveland is the first team that could draft RG3 if there is not a trade, anyone interested in him will have to trade above Cleveland. The Skins and Dolphins are the only teams in the top ten desperate enough for a quarterback to trade up. Now that Philbin is in Miami I suspect that Matt Flynn will sign with the Dolphins in March. Unless a team from outside of the top ten trades their entire draft, the Redskins are the most likely trading partner. Given the situation here I think they will trade above Cleveland, rather than chance that the Browns pass on him. RG3 is basically the archetypical Shanahan quarterback.
 
Last edited:
Top