Shounen Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
As far as I can see it, Ebana seems to have the most character build-up next to Kurogane. Greater than Shidou or Kamiya whom we consider as the mainstays in the team's roster.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
As far as I can see it, Ebana seems to have the most character build-up next to Kurogane. Greater than Shidou or Kamiya whom we consider as the mainstays in the team's roster.
That is kind of true. Shidou didn't even get a full chapter worth of development and Kamiya got 10 pages at best, so a whole bunch of chapters solely on Ebana does make him the second most developed character in the series.

---------- Post added February 19, 2012 at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was February 10, 2012 at 06:55 PM ----------

http://www.mangareader.net/kurogane/23

A man with a plan is a man with a plan.
 
Last edited:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I just read all available chapters. It's not bad. The main character is surprisingly endearing.
The no-good sportsman with good eyesight & high QI: it's a similar principle as in Kuroko no Basket.

It will never become exceptional but it's good enough to entertain me.
 
Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just read all available chapters. It's not bad. The main character is surprisingly endearing.
The no-good sportsman with good eyesight & high QI: it's a similar principle as in Kuroko no Basket.

It will never become exceptional but it's good enough to entertain me.
Completely agree.

It's got a fun enough cast of characters that I really wish it could shake free of the sports manga shackles. As long as it's just slice of life and kendo tournaments it seems like it has a very defined ceiling in terms of how good it can be. If they could find a way to integrate the sword-master ghost aspect a bit more it could become really interesting, but it seems like that would be hard to do with the way the series has been structured.

---------------------------------------------------

I would also like to join the ranks of the Ebana haters. Even with the attempts to develop him my interest is at like 0%.

At least Shira Tori has a kind of Orihime ditzy cuteness thing going for her. Ebana's just sort of annoying.
 
Last edited:

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Ebana has the similar attitude as Sakuragi from Slam Dunk. Hot-headed, boastful, over-confident, the main reason of joining the club is a girl he likes and it's clear that his Rukawa's Shidou. The difference is that he's less funny, hence, just plain annoying.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I've seen the dark horse theme too many times...
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've seen the dark horse theme too many times...
It is the basis of pretty much all sports manga(and most sports movies). Though I can hardly blame authors for that, watching the favorites crush their competition would not make for a very good read....at least I wouldn't think so.

BTW The poor mouse in your avatar makes me sad.....:crying
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It is the basis of pretty much all sports manga(and most sports movies). Though I can hardly blame authors for that, watching the favorites crush their competition would not make for a very good read....at least I wouldn't think so.

BTW The poor mouse in your avatar makes me sad.....:crying
I know what you mean, but I'd rather see them compete against Oogami and the other Hakurei freshmen than Jourai. The dark horse never ends up going anywhere anyway. I mean, look at Fudomine in PoT; they were okay, but they never went anywhere, even though they did make it to the National QFs.

---------- Post added March 07, 2012 at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was February 27, 2012 at 03:13 PM ----------

Chapter 25 arrives: http://www.mangareader.net/kurogane/25
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
So far, I'm wondering whether Kurogane is moving to over-generalization or realistic sport series.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So far, I'm wondering whether Kurogane is moving to over-generalization or realistic sport series.
Yeah, I'm not sure in what direction we're going at the moment. I think it's just going to be slice of life, with some mainly realistic sports moments here and there. I mean, apart from that one technique Sayuri used through Kurogane's body against Shidou, everything's been more or less realistic.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
It is the basis of pretty much all sports manga(and most sports movies). Though I can hardly blame authors for that, watching the favorites crush their competition would not make for a very good read....at least I wouldn't think so.

BTW The poor mouse in your avatar makes me sad.....:crying
There is one exception though in sports manga: Ryoma Echizen. But is it still a sports manga ... most of the players would give a proper spanking to Gon, Luffy, Naruro, Ichigo, Natsu, ...
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Chapter 26 arrives: http://www.mangareader.net/kurogane/26

Whatever that skill that Kurogane's body used on Shidou at the beginning would've trashed this guy...Then again, Aoharu lost to normal Kurogane...

---------- Post added March 21, 2012 at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was March 13, 2012 at 03:25 PM ----------

Chapter 27...http://www.mangareader.net/kurogane/27

---------- Post added April 07, 2012 at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was March 21, 2012 at 02:44 AM ----------

Seems like people have just stopped tling Kurogane on the assumption that it may get cancelled soon.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
How did you get that idea?
I was basing it on the fact that the last two chapters haven't been scanned, Negative, plus the groups that were scanning have seemed to come in and out.

It's like how people dropped St&rs, so then we (yes, for the last time, I know you read the raws) never really got to see what happened.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I basing it on the fact that the last two chapters haven't been scanned, Negative, plus the groups that were scanning have seemed to come in and out.

It's like how people dropped St&rs, so then we (yes, for the last time, I know you read the raws) never really got to see what happened.
I'm not sure it is good to predict a series' fate based on the Edited Manga group stops scanning the series.
 

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
3,637
Reaction score
1,163
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
i want to see the fights but it seems that no one is really interested on translating the chapters what a shame :(
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have no idea if it it will get cancelled or not but for some reason I'd be pretty surprised if it was still around a year from now.

I mean, where can the story really go? Kurogane is trying to be a sports manga and a supernatural sword-fighting manga at the same time and is having problems pulling off either. It's characters have been reasonably strong but they need a story to give them purpose; and I feel like that element has eluded the series thus far. If that continues I think the arrow is very much pointing down for the series.



Jump #19 (09/04) :
Bleach (Lead Color Page)
Toriko
Naruto (Cover)
Bakuman
Pajama na Kanojo
Medaka Box (Color Page, 24 pg.)
Hq!! (First Rank)
Nisekoi
Double Bullet (Color Page, One Shot, 47 pg.)
Reborn!
Sket Dance (Color Page)
Kochikame
Gintama
Inumaru Dashi
Beelzebub
Magico
Kurogane
Kuroko no Basket
Nurarihyon no Mago
Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakky
ST&RS
One Piece (Absent)
Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)

#20:
Lead CP: Kochikame
CP: Nisekoi, Hq!!, Black Katana (One Shot)
Still, it's not doing too bad in the rankings. ST&RS should get the axe first maybe followed by Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakky. So maybe Kurogane can turn things around in the meantime.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm not sure it is good to predict a series' fate based on the Edited Manga group stops scanning the series.
The real thing is that Kurogane's been slipping farther and farther down the ToC slowly but sure. That's not a positive. Now that some of the series which had been occupying the bottom will be cancelled, Kurogane's safety net has gotten a lot smaller.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

I have no idea if it it will get cancelled or not but for some reason I'd be pretty surprised if it was still around a year from now.

I mean, where can the story really go? Kurogane is trying to be a sports manga and a supernatural sword-fighting manga at the same time and is having problems pulling off either. It's characters have been reasonably strong but they need a story to give them purpose; and I feel like that element has eluded the series thus far. If that continues I think the arrow is very much pointing down for the series.

Still, it's not doing too bad in the rankings. ST&RS should get the axe first maybe followed by Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakky. So maybe Kurogane can turn things around in the meantime.
Jammin, but if you take out St&rs and Pakky (assuming they're being cancelled) and Kuroko and Mago (as they live on their volume sales, plus Kuroko did just get an anime), Kurogane is the last placed series.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
The real thing is that Kurogane's been slipping farther and farther down the ToC slowly but sure. That's not a positive. Now that some of the series which had been occupying the bottom will be cancelled, Kurogane's safety net has gotten a lot smaller.
It is true that Kurogane has been decreasing its ranking, but it is still not in the worst position. If Kurogane does stay in bottom 5 for multiple weeks, then it would be in danger. Plus, there is still possibility that Kuragone's ranking may rebounce like Magico. In current state, it is still too early to determin that it'll cancel.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

but they need a story to give them purpose
The purspose is to win a national competition; all of sport series' purpose is to be a number 1 and that's about it.
 
Top