- Joined
- Apr 8, 2011
- Messages
- 2,106
- Reaction score
- 1,585
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Nitpick time!
OMG this episode sucked because Wing has a DVD of Hisoka's fight when the manga had it as a VHS! Get with the times, Madhouse!
LOL! Just kidding.
---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------
Plus you have Near as your Avatar and Near is awesome.
OMG this episode sucked because Wing has a DVD of Hisoka's fight when the manga had it as a VHS! Get with the times, Madhouse!
LOL! Just kidding.
---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------
While I wholeheartedly disagree I do appreciate the time and effort and thought you must have put into that critique.For a series that has a good soundtrack, the one responsible for placement of that soundtrack--I'm going to chalk it up to the director--is rendering me crestfallen with that slapdash approach when dealing with it.
One musical interlude cuts off another when the topic of Nen is raised, undermining the elegance of the screenplay; one jaunty ditty invades one of Wing's explanatory scenes which hurts the attention demanded by him; familiar chords permeate every episode where Gon and Killua are concerned, which--while it can be justified in characterisation terms--grates when its use is superfluous and routine, as I feel it is here in the moments before Zushi leaves to get kidnapped and when Gon and Killua leave Wing's place to talk about the threat; and, most of all, rare is the screenplay that moves and unfolds in tandem with the music, with that music instead feeling only like an afterthought. It is on that last point that I would dwell most: Hirano's soundtrack is beginning to enjoy the nuance it once lacked, but I'm not feeling the sensitivity from the director who avails of it. I don't want to resort to hyperbole, but this reminds me of FUNi's Dragonball Z dub where the appearance of a given character would often summon that character's theme tune when another track was half the way through--such as the aforementioned Nen scene here--and the scene feels messy and even irritating as a result.
I am no greater advocate of any adaptation or form of HUNTERxHUNTER than the other, but as far as direction is concerned, I am disillusioned with this one. Listening to those previews for the second soundtrack the other day makes me really happy--but that faith wavers and wavers with every passing episode when I see just how untidy the music placement is here. I recognise that any endeavour to adhere strictly to the panels of the manga is going to have repercussions for how creative you can be on the screen when it comes to length, but that should stipulate either a different form of soundtrack or the requisite sensitivity when dealing with one as melodramatic as Hirano's--sensitivity that is needed to handle something like this believably. For Koujina, he could afford to take a page out of Hirano's willingness to breathe some of his own creative daring into the series, rather than treating the manga as a straitjacket--something that I feel is suggested through music placement that is the victim of a storyboard that can't always use it.
I don't feel total antipathy for this episode: Killua's voice actress is coming along; Killua's design is nicely modelled for his darkly moments; there is some willingness to take creative liberties, such as Killua's clothing and his birthday spiel, plus the cutting of the dialogue of the chaps he was talking to--some of these liberties show some recognition of how best to read the underlying mood of the scene and not belittle it with some attributes of the manga that exist because of the inherent constraints or stipulations of that medium, but if the existence of these liberties is there in the first place, I'd prefer to see them used to better avail of the soundtrack. And when the director's hit-and-miss approach to the interplay of the soundtrack and screenplay actually hits--when Killua is told about Gon's match--the moment is delicious. These traits do not neutralise the general mood of discontent as far as overall sensitivity is concerned, but I'd like to say they give reason to hope--but I don't want to have to keep saying that after every episode.
End thoughts and opinions.
Plus you have Near as your Avatar and Near is awesome.

