^I agree with you 100% I've had conversations with friends multiple times saying I personally believe Gon is the best written shonen protagonist too. Of course this is just my opinion, and not everyone will agree.
Sure it's an opinion. But I think there is good evidence for it. Namely, the subtle but yet
enormous amount of depth Togashi puts into Gon. Gon on the surface level is the ideal
shonen protagonist but in depth he's so much more.
Some shonen protagonists aren't even that great on a surface level. And most if they
have any depth of character it is rather forced. Also a lot of times people can read
into a character too much. Which may be the case here. But there's something
about Gon that makes him stand out from the crowd. Really I think Gon is more in
line with characters like "Pip" from "Great Expectations" and other coming of age stories
than he is to characters like Luffy, Ichigo, or Naruto. It's not that those 3 are bad
characters. Surely they are likable...Well Luffy and Naruto at least.
Despite being a Bleach fan, Ichigo hasn't exactly won me over. He needs to stop being such a wuss
when things don't go his way. But that's that. However I wouldn't say any of the
3 of them are really that amazingly written. Ichigo is flat (some think that this might
be intentional so Ichigo can act as a reader avatar. Which is alright but at the
same time kind of dull) and it's really thanks to the villains that Bleach remains
interesting if at all (I like it still.)
Naruto is kinda all over the place and has his
good and bad days. Sometimes he can be really bad ass. Sometimes he can
be inspiring. And sometimes it's just like Kishi...what are you doing? Though
perhaps the problem with Naruto is at they say. A hero is only as interesting
as the villain and while Naruto has potentially awesome villains it seems like
they are always getting discarded for the sake of the plot. Naruto is very
dynamic but it doesn't seem very organized Bleach is the opposite.
The story is rather character based but it doesn't seem like Kubo has much
direction going on. It seems like characters just run around and fight and then
somehow they stumble into a story. I mean it makes for some interesting
interactions. But I have to wonder if even Kubo knows where he's going
with the story.
Then there's Luffy. Luffy is the most difficult to comment on
because he's not really meant to be complex in the first place. He's Goku 2.0.
He eats a lot, never gains weight, isn't very smart, kicks ass and is a kid at heart.
That's really all you need to know about Luffy. Luffy is for all intents and purposes
a flat character. But if he wasn't I don't think One Piece would work as well.
The point of Luffy is that he doesn't change. No matter what. That's not to
say he has zero development but rather that at the end of the day we all
know he's going to be the same ol Luffy. It works but it's not particularly daring.
Gon on the other hand is dynamic but yet iconic, bad ass, has great depth without it seeming like the author is force feeding that "depth" to you. He is the ideal
shonen protagonist and yet a complete deconstruction of the trope at the same time.
Here's the thing...
With Ichigo I'm not sure where he is headed as a character because
I'm not sure if Kubo is sure himself. But so far the destination seems like: Nowhere.
With Naruto I think he will end up as a solid good character but it will
be a bumpy ride. I think the good will (hopefully) outweigh the bad.
He will probably not change much anymore as he's already gone
plenty of development already. It's just a matter of stabilizing the character.
With Luffy he will remain as Luffy no matter the situation.
The only thing that will much change him is 1. his power level
2. his bank account 3. the number of friends/allies/enemies he has
With Gon...
I don't know what he will become because he could become almost anything
He has the potential to be a villain. But also the potential to be a hero.
He could end up as a tragic character or as a character of great inspiration.
No thing is for sure. I think it will be a while before Togashi ceases to amaze
and entertain with Hunter x Hunter.
---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------
^I agree with you 100% I've had conversations with friends multiple times saying I personally believe Gon is the best written shonen protagonist too. Of course this is just my opinion, and not everyone will agree.
I agree with you 100% MrSticky.
I think an interesting part of Hunter x Hunter is that there is many times when these characters need to go there separate ways. Because after all isn't that a part of growing up? Leaving behind the past, however many memories that may hold. Knowing when it's time to move on is a sign of maturity. I truly believe Hunter x Hunter to be one of the greatest coming of age stories ever told. It's all about losing innocence and learning that growing up means accepting that the older we get, the more we lose and the harsher the world becomes. It's sad, but it's ultimately true. Gon and Killua's separation is absolutely monumental because it marks a turning point for Gon, he doesn't need Killua anymore. He doesn't need anyone but himself. He beat Genthru all alone and heck he beat Pitou all alone, he doesn't need anyone, he is strong, right? No this is wrong. I think the first half of Hunter x Hunter is about Gon becoming strong enough to be alone, strong enough to not need anyone. I believe the second half which we are now seeing will be about Gon learning that he really does need people, and that no matter how old or strong you get, we always need friends and we always need connection. Gon has severed most connections and seems to want to 'go it alone' much like his father, will Gon head down the same path as Ging or will he decide upon another? We will have to wait and see.
That would be an interesting development. I wonder if Ging would learn the lesson too?
Also I was thinking for Kite Flashback....What if we got filler of basically just Gon and Kite hanging out? How long was Kite at Whale Island?
For a character that is pivotal to Gon's characterization in the Chimera Ant Arc it sure seems like Gon and Kite hardly even know each other.