Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chei

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
106
Reaction score
133
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I would love to see Hisoka hosting the upcoming huncyclopedia, going over his Hiso Hiso Nen personality types.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,715
Reaction score
61,433
Gender
Male
Country
France
Even Tonpa was not faithful to the manga(end of Trick Tower).
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Guess it's you against me on this one. The consensus is that it's pretty good.

Yeah and the "consensus" also said Avatar was a good movie. It wasn't.


It just so happened that they had virtually no time left. Why do you assume that every passage way for every contestant consists of pitting teams up against each other? There's going to be friction - no doubt the exam was engineered to cause teams to conflict - but the point is to persevere. Otherwise why bother with the vote watches? Why not just reduce the entire thing to a deathmatch? How do you think the Amori brothers got through the whole thing?

/QUOTE]

I don't think it was necessarily for every team just any team that fell into the test
of majority's choice. For that the test of majority's choice I do think the intention
was to get rid of at least two members. In a way it WAS reduced to a deathmatch
since all the weapons were left in the room and I DON'T believe Lippo intended
for Gon to use them to break through the walls. He clearly didn't in the 1999
version as Lippo's reaction was astonishment. But the manga we never see
Lippo's reaction. They just go on with the next phrase. I don't think the
Amori brothers had to go through the test of majority's choice. Or if they did
then whoever the other two were (since you need 5) those two would be dead
as the Amori brothers would gang up on them.

I don't think the point is to persevere. I think the point of the entire hunter exam
is to weed out none but the creme de la creme, the best of the best, the few, the proud,
THE HUNTERS. But not every applicant pool will have such persons. Some are all just
a bunch of weaklings (relatively speaking. ) The Hunter Exam isn't concerned with those
that can't hack it. Even before the exam, in almost every instance the Hunter Exam is
intentionally trying to fail the would be applicants. The fact that there have been
years where nobody passed means that the Hunter Exam is fine if nobody passes
because as I said they only want the very best. So what better way to figure that
out than a death match? Of course Gon was too clever for them.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,715
Reaction score
61,433
Gender
Male
Country
France


Can someone translate this? It seems it's about the movie.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

It has been translated by Jon Snow at narutoforums:

A completely original story....
Filming is decided!
Await further information!

I really think Togashi could resume next week.
 

fanatik

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
157
Reaction score
97
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
I'm... a tad late, but better late than never. And I gotta say what I love about the new anime the most is probably its awesome backgrounds, and this ep made me realize it full force, cause when I saw that arched passage I got that sudden wish to go visit the surroundings of the Heaven's Arena. After a couple of seconds I remembered the place wasn't real, unfortunately...

And no episode this week? Well, damn, I don't have finals and other superimportant things to do this weekend, so it's gonna be somewhat empty... Guess I'll spend at least some of it consoling myself with the thought that Yorkshin is getting closer! Really looking forward to the Genei Ryodan seiyuu announcement. Kuroro better be good.

They did with Canary's backstory and and how Kurapika met his master.
To me, Kurapika and his nen master was hit, Canary was miss. And the battleship thingy in the old anime was.. well, kind of ridiculous, from my point of view. I mostly like little filler scenes that add little comic relief moments or a bit more depth or sense to what's goin on, like 50 hours spent by the whole 5man team in one room in the new anime or that funny employee lady operating the elevator in the old one. But I definitely dislike when the new anime alters things without a reason making some filler where there's some proper canon material, like it was with the testing gate.


The next bit is not really related to the anime discussion
BTW do you ever do any professional translations? Or does anybody here for that matter?
I'm kinda curious as to what the process is. I mean is it just one person translating or a group?
Yep, I translate professionaly every once in a while as a sidejob (a translator/interpreter job is not really one where you can make lots of money so I'm not tempted to take it up as a full time job) I've delt with different kinds of stuff, though never really had a chance to translate manga professionally (well, only edited once). Usually one translator translates the whole volume, but several translators can work on one project (on several volumes). From what I know, you're given a couple of weeks to a month per volume, but that can also depend. The process in general is pretty much the same for most translation types: first you write up your translation, then editors get to their work (may be one, may be a few depending on the size and type of your text), and at this point it's pretty much out of your hands. It's usually editors who are responsible for general flow, consistency of terminology and things like that, it's especially important when there's more than one translator involved (when a couple of translators work on a couple of different volumes). Sometimes you're asked to give your opinion on some edits or to clarify something but more often not.
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Majority vote was only one path of many that could have been chosen.
Exactly. It was - at least for Gon's team - about the team dynamics. So you agree with me that it's a ridiculous assertion to make that the battleship filler was inconsistent with the Hunter Exam


Being not faithful to the source material is a very big flaw in my opinion. At least we can say for sure it is not a plus.
It would piss off people who follow the manga, yes. But judging the anime by itself?


I don't remember him saying that it was.
I have no idea what he finds "funny" about the battleship fillers.

That's not the reason. The spotty and inconsistent character development is the reason. Even the 2011 series isn't 100% faithful. You can still have filler and be faithful to the spirit of the show.
Oh yes, the 2011 series is sooo faithful in their depiction of the Hunter Exam. Get real: the thing is aimed for toddlers and it shows. I would also like to take you up on the claim that the characterization was "spotty" and "inconsistent" in the old adaptation.

Yeah and the "consensus" also said Avatar was a good movie. It wasn't.
So why is your opinion better than the majority's? Not just the uninformed masses - i'm talking about the critics.



I don't think it was necessarily for every team just any team that fell into the test
of majority's choice. For that the test of majority's choice I do think the intention
was to get rid of at least two members. In a way it WAS reduced to a deathmatch
since all the weapons were left in the room and I DON'T believe Lippo intended
for Gon to use them to break through the walls. He clearly didn't in the 1999
version as Lippo's reaction was astonishment. But the manga we never see
Lippo's reaction. They just go on with the next phrase. I don't think the
Amori brothers had to go through the test of majority's choice. Or if they did
then whoever the other two were (since you need 5) those two would be dead
as the Amori brothers would gang up on them.

I don't think the point is to persevere. I think the point of the entire hunter exam
is to weed out none but the creme de la creme, the best of the best, the few, the proud,
THE HUNTERS. But not every applicant pool will have such persons. Some are all just
a bunch of weaklings (relatively speaking. ) The Hunter Exam isn't concerned with those
that can't hack it. Even before the exam, in almost every instance the Hunter Exam is
intentionally trying to fail the would be applicants. The fact that there have been
years where nobody passed means that the Hunter Exam is fine if nobody passes
because as I said they only want the very best. So what better way to figure that
out than a death match? Of course Gon was too clever for them.
Then again, I ask: why not start with the deathmatch? Why bother with all the other stuff? There was no way out because Leorio messed up. It's ridiculous that you claim the entire purpose of the phase is to pit people in a team against each other. How, in any case, would that make a phase centered around teamwork inconsistent? People work together in teams, you know, both in real life and (conceivably) in the world of HxH. Sometimes people will go up against each other; sometimes there will be mutiny; but most of the time teams work together for the same concerted purpose and testing whether candidates work well in a team isn't in any way unreasonable.

It's simple. You're grasping at straws. The battleship fillers are NOT inconsistent with the Hunter Exam. I get it: you hate it because it's filler. Just say it, then. No need to put up a facade.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm... a tad late, but better late than never. And I gotta say what I love about the new anime the most is probably its awesome backgrounds, and this ep made me realize it full force, cause when I saw that arched passage I got that sudden wish to go visit the surroundings of the Heaven's Arena. After a couple of seconds I remembered the place wasn't real, unfortunately...

And no episode this week? Well, damn, I don't have finals and other superimportant things to do this weekend, so it's gonna be somewhat empty... Guess I'll spend at least some of it consoling myself with the thought that Yorkshin is getting closer! Really looking forward to the Genei Ryodan seiyuu announcement. Kuroro better be good.

To me, Kurapika and his nen master was hit, Canary was miss. And the battleship thingy in the old anime was.. well, kind of ridiculous, from my point of view. I mostly like little filler scenes that add little comic relief moments or a bit more depth or sense to what's goin on, like 50 hours spent by the whole 5man team in one room in the new anime or that funny employee lady operating the elevator in the old one. But I definitely dislike when the new anime alters things without a reason making some filler where there's some proper canon material, like it was with the testing gate.


The next bit is not really related to the anime discussion
Yep, I translate professionaly every once in a while as a sidejob (a translator/interpreter job is not really one where you can make lots of money so I'm not tempted to take it up as a full time job) I've delt with different kinds of stuff, though never really had a chance to translate manga professionally (well, only edited once). Usually one translator translates the whole volume, but several translators can work on one project (on several volumes). From what I know, you're given a couple of weeks to a month per volume, but that can also depend. The process in general is pretty much the same for most translation types: first you write up your translation, then editors get to their work (may be one, may be a few depending on the size and type of your text), and at this point it's pretty much out of your hands. It's usually editors who are responsible for general flow, consistency of terminology and things like that, it's especially important when there's more than one translator involved (when a couple of translators work on a couple of different volumes). Sometimes you're asked to give your opinion on some edits or to clarify something but more often not.

Yeah, I think the backgrounds are a bit underrated in the 2011 adaptation. Yorknew should be really interesting since it's supposed to be a big city.

Kurapika and his nen master was it Mizuken? Yeah that was cool. I liked Canary's extra scene. It was cool seeing her being all awesome.
I wouldn't say fillers have no entertainment value whatsoever. Even ones as silly as Illumi v Gon at least give a good laugh.
But I certainly don't miss them. Not even Killua vs Darth Maul. Which is an ok fight. Though I didn't care at all for the hoopla about Killua
not being able to control himself. Yes Killua has moments of rage (fight against Zushi) but this was more of a "I can't help myself. I need help" type thing.
And I agree that it bothers me when the 2011 version messes up canon. Even MORE so than the 1999 version. Why? Because the 2011 should know better.


Also that's cool you do translate professional even if you don't make a whole lot of money. Thanks for the info. :)
 

brigid001

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
138
Reaction score
99
Gender
Female
Country
Ireland
Oh yes, the 2011 series is sooo faithful in their depiction of the Hunter Exam. Get real: the thing is aimed for toddlers and it shows.
Come on, I think that's terribly unfair to say that the 2011 is aimed at toddlers when in many cases we have seen this not to be true. Apart from killua removing the heart from Jones the 2011 anime has been able to show more violence than the 1999 anime. Hisoka vs kastro, hisoka vs examiner, killua killing those people on board the ship are all altered in the 1999 anime. How can you call the 2011 anime geared towards toddlers when you see these instances of censorship in the older version?

And I don't think the brighter colours should be a reason to consider it a toddler's anime. Gon and killua are 2 energetic kids travelling the world. The bright colours suit the feeling of adventure at the beginning of the series. And when the mood changes the colours do get darker, so I think the colour scheme is just fine in this series.

You seem very defensive of the 1999 series which I can understand since that series introduced me to hxh in the first place. I did love it when I watched it but I now vastly prefer this one, since I prefer a series with not much filler. Also I was amazed to find out how much was changed in the 1999 anime which you don't seem to agree with.

All in all both the 1999 and 2011 have their pros and cons but overall I think the 2011 captures the spirit of the manga better than the older version.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
^ Plus most anime nowadays seem to have much brighter colours when compared to pre-digital series.
 

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Then again, I ask: why not start with the deathmatch? Why bother with all the other stuff? There was no way out because Leorio messed up. It's ridiculous that you claim the entire purpose of the phase is to pit people in a team against each other. How, in any case, would that make a phase centered around teamwork inconsistent? People work together in teams, you know, both in real life and (conceivably) in the world of HxH. Sometimes people will go up against each other; sometimes there will be mutiny; but most of the time teams work together for the same concerted purpose and testing whether candidates work well in a team isn't in any way unreasonable.
Didn't you read what Tonpa said? The majority choices were just a trap.



about the battleship filler, it would have been ok if they hadn't shown the characters in a ridiculous way.
and aside from showing the characters in that way, there was something more stupid in that filler, it was Illume helping Kurapika at the end!! why would an assassin do such a thing??
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^ Plus most anime nowadays seem to have much brighter colours when compared to pre-digital series.
That's what some people aren't getting. For example even Pokemon had that washed out look in the 90's. The 99' anime didn't do it because it was darker but it was just part of the times.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Y
And I agree that it bothers me when the 2011 version messes up canon. Even MORE so than the 1999 version. Why? Because the 2011 should know better.


Also that's cool you do translate professional even if you don't make a whole lot of money. Thanks for the info. :)
How does it mess up canon? Nothing about the Canary flashback ruins anything and Kurapica meeting his nen master we definitely happened at some point
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I don't think he was referring to the Canary flashback specifically, but to other instances of the 2011 adaptation messing up canon. Like the Test Gate part, or (arguably?) Killua's heart scene.
 

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
That's what some people aren't getting. For example even Pokemon had that washed out look in the 90's. The 99' anime didn't do it because it was darker but it was just part of the times.
Even the last two OVAs didn't have that washed out look.
 

chei

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
106
Reaction score
133
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The consensus that 1999's fillers are good? We obviously have different consensus. The consensus I know of is that 1999 started to get great at yorkshin arc (high production values and no more crappy fillers and changes), but everything before it was really uneven. It was loaded with chessy fillers, hoyay fan service, slow pacing and characters portrayed out of character. Oh and the GI afterward has shitty production quality.

Good fillers are ones that doesnt contradict characterizations, background, how the world and its system work, while padding things out. The 1999 series's stretching a dialogue or an idea or two is fine. But the director of 1999 series attempted to revision the canon, incorporating his visions (tend to be formulated and conventional) by altering canon events and themes.

Gon is beyond dumb and gullible in episode 2 already...err...

Leorio is a useless drag who needed to be carried by Tonpa...

Killua was made to be cold and distance ( trying to clone him as Hiei 2.0) with made up inner conflicts that were never part if manga Killua's character: guilt ridden by his background and a struggle to suppress his killer urges. That is not added layers in case thats what you are thinkin, that's a total change of the character's core. Not to mention 1999's character revision is corny and cliche as hell.

A simple, fun and revealing ball game in the manga that showed us how Gon and killua deal with the same event is utterly ruined by some chick and focused shifted to whitewash Killua's family. The message 1999 sold to me was: Oh kids, don't do bad things or else the underworld police will get you. How the chick got on the ship is already a huge holes in how Hunter association is run.

The whole shipwreck filler is not only cheesy, but you get ooc moment like Illumi and Hisoka helping others (isn't that sweet kids?)

Illumi fighting Gon... Errr

The three cripples are changed into normal people who faked their disability. Why? No idea. Oh since they rewrote the characters so the danger of Nen baptism is gone. And 1999's revisioning looks stupid.

A quiet and lovely vacation to whale island is changed into more emo hiei2.0 drama - Killua and the bear. I actually forgot about this horrible filler and thought of rewatching this part in animation, only to be disgusted by it and shut the damn video off.

Two or three of the above are enough for me to find 1999 series unrewatchabe, and it doesn't hold that well in time. I would introduce newbie with 2011 series, which is a lot more enjoyable than the old series for me. The 2011 series is made for a new generation - shounen series audience. Oh and your bitter attack of 'toddlers' just came off so stupid as obviously it's not. It's not fluffy, not preachy (unlike the 1999 series, so many friendship speeches, whitewashing).
 
Last edited:

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
38
Gender
Male
I don't think he was referring to the Canary flashback specifically, but to other instances of the 2011 adaptation messing up canon. Like the Test Gate part, or (arguably?) Killua's heart scene.
I'm torn about the gate. For one I liked the team work aspect they gave, and for other I didn't like it because it didn't show how the individuals grew on strength. Especially Leoreo-the weakest member of the team.

As for the heart scene, I don't know what's the big deal. Just because he didn't crush it or because it was hidden inside the rag? He killed Jones by ripping his heart out and not by any other matter and that's the main idea.


This scene however... Was there a reason to change Killua's technique from creating afterimages to "fading in the dark"?! In the manga, it was very clear that Killua was creating afterimages. How could the old anime misunderstand it? Just to get an excuse to make the place "dark"?!



 
Last edited:

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still don't like how the 2011 anime handled the testing gates. It just came off being a little corny to me, and it took away from Leorio's big moment to shine, and I would have preferred Kite to be shown in the beginning of the anime. Well those are really my complaints so far about the new anime lol.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Exactly. It was - at least for Gon's team - about the team dynamics. So you agree with me that it's a ridiculous assertion to make that the battleship filler was inconsistent with the Hunter Exam
I didn't say that it was inconsistent or it wasn't. I only answered how did the Amori brothers could passed this stage.

It would piss off people who follow the manga, yes. But judging the anime by itself?
I actually started HxH from 1999 anime. I couldn't watch more than two episodes, as the second one was just boring and stupid. I was glad to know it was filler when I started reading manga. I can't judge the battleship filler cuz I have skipped it, but that one was horrible.

I have no idea what he finds "funny" about the battleship fillers.
Me neither. My only point was that he didn't say that being part of the manga.


I still don't like how the 2011 anime handled the testing gates. It just came off being a little corny to me, and it took away from Leorio's big moment to shine, and I would have preferred Kite to be shown in the beginning of the anime. Well those are really my complaints so far about the new anime lol.
The Kaito lack is okay, but I cannot forgive the Gate change. There was no need =O
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Kaito lack is okay, but I cannot forgive the Gate change. There was no need =O
Yeah.... I honestly don't know what the director was thinking, was there really a point in changing the testing gate scene? It made everybody look really weak :oh

Anyway... I can't wait to see Gon vs Hisoka! Dat fight gonna be bitchin, yo. :hip
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top