- Joined
- Dec 11, 2007
- Messages
- 209
- Reaction score
- 66
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Bleach, bottom 3 sucks! But am glad Reborn moved up. Kuroko and Nisekoi both at second and third for a second straight week
!
!
!
Maybe it means nothing, but I don't remember seeing a new series still unranked been placed in the second place.I find it strange that people are still looking at high pre-ranking placement as a sign of popularity, shouldn't the Bulge rankings be somewhat of a confirmation that it doesn't really make a difference?
Since 1999, the following series ranked 2d or 3d (1st or 2d with traditional count) in their 8 first chapters of publication:Maybe it means nothing, but I don't remember seeing a new series still unranked been placed in the second place.
The only one I can remember is Dragon Ball in the 80's (probably there's another one since then), and we all know what came after that.
Maybe it's not conclusive, but being placed this high is something not common at all.
While I agree top five placement is usually a good sign, this time I'm a little skeptical. This is the third recent title placed in the top five, all by previously serialized mangaka, each with a previous serialization lasting five volumes or more. While obviously impossible to confirm, a pattern is a pattern. Bulge was consistently given top five placement every week, and yet has fallen to last place in only it's third ranking. There is no accounting for taste; in a magazine that specializes in the generic, assuming Bulge's low ranking is based on quality would be giving Jump readers more credit than they deserve.Maybe it means nothing, but I don't remember seeing a new series still unranked been placed in the second place.
The only one I can remember is Dragon Ball in the 80's (probably there's another one since then), and we all know what came after that.
Maybe it's not conclusive, but being placed this high is something not common at all.
Well, if it's Sandland by Toriyama, then I wouldn't count it, as the series seemed to be meant as a shorter story.Since 1999, the following series ranked 2d or 3d (1st or 2d with traditional count) in their 8 first chapters of publication:
- Sand Land
- Eyeshield 21
- Busō Renkin
- Kanagawa Isonan Fūtengumi
- Sword Breaker
- Death Note
3 of them lasted less than 20 chapters...
Speaking of Sandman, has anyone here read it? Is it any good? I remember being interested in reading years ago yet I never did. I simply forgot about it until now xDSince 1999, the following series ranked 2d or 3d (1st or 2d with traditional count) in their 8 first chapters of publication:
- Sand Land
- Eyeshield 21
- Busō Renkin
- Kanagawa Isonan Fūtengumi
- Sword Breaker
- Death Note
3 of them lasted less than 20 chapters...
Slightly off-topic, but oh well:Speaking of Sandman, has anyone here read it? Is it any good? I remember being interested in reading years ago yet I never did. I simply forgot about it until now xD
Dr.Slump and Dragonball were comedy gold compared to DBZ, which was more action based. So of course it's more mature and the story telling is better than in his very first manga.I'm not saying either of them were bad, they were fantastic (I've only read the first volume of Dr.Slump to be honest, but it was pure genius), it's just that they lacked the depth Sandland provides. That's all I'm saying. (Guess the term 'better' is always a little misleading)Booooh!Dr.Slump and Dragonball were comedy gold compared to DBZ, which was more action based. So of course it's more mature and the story telling is better than in his very first manga.
It's short and good, so yes worth a read.