Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bleach, bottom 3 sucks! But am glad Reborn moved up. Kuroko and Nisekoi both at second and third for a second straight week:D!
 

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Well..looks like Assassination will do very good. Kuroko popularity is becoming huge..the sales doubled in few weeks and its usually bad rankings are now very good rankings.
And Nisekoi is third and HQ! is five! I'm happy both series are great!
 

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It is refreshing to see Nisekoi, HQ!! and AC at the top after years dealing with the same old thing like OP, Naruto, Bleach and Reborn.
 

DestyNova4th

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
207
Reaction score
94
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
In the image of ToC, Beelzebub is before Medaka.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Certainly refreshing.

And two sports series in the top five. This can't be Shonen Jack.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The TOC looks great, good to see that a lot of new series seem to be quite well-received. Feels like ages ago since that last happened. Assassination Classroom is unranked but I've rarely seen a unranked chapter placed so, I just hope that it's a sign for doing good because it really is something else and it's strangeness is both refreshing and funny.

I'm relatively sure that Nisekoi will become a mid-hit at least, the sales are strong for a new series and it's constantly ranking well - deserved in my opinion. Looking forward to the color page!

And I guess it's safe to say that the Kuroko anime gave the manga series a boost in the rankings too, probably will do really well for some time.
 

HalcyonDigest

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 29, 2012
Messages
61
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I find it strange that people are still looking at high pre-ranking placement as a sign of popularity, shouldn't the Bulge rankings be somewhat of a confirmation that it doesn't really make a difference?
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm glad to see Kuroko continuing to do amazing. It's really transformed into one of the most popular series in Jump recently. It's also nice to see Reborn improving given the quality of this current arc.
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I find it strange that people are still looking at high pre-ranking placement as a sign of popularity, shouldn't the Bulge rankings be somewhat of a confirmation that it doesn't really make a difference?
Maybe it means nothing, but I don't remember seeing a new series still unranked been placed in the second place.
The only one I can remember is Dragon Ball in the 80's (probably there's another one since then), and we all know what came after that.

Maybe it's not conclusive, but being placed this high is something not common at all.
 

crimsonlink310

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
632
Reaction score
208
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Glad Assassination Classroom is doing good even though its a placeholder rank.

I wonder how much of an uproar would happen if OP dropped below the top 5 lol. I honestly wish it would sometimes since some chapters are not deserving of ranking in the top 5 but huge popularity helps in that regard. Same for Naruto.

Takagahamara isn't going to do well considering how many people are dismissing it as too cliche. Then again it might surprise people as a new hit.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That is definitely a top 4 I can get behind in OP, Kuroko, Nisekoi, and Toriko. Kuroko is really taking off these last few weeks and despite the criticisms I had in the beginning it looks like everything has paid off this time around.

Surprised to see Pajama rise a little but I admit I'm a bit happy about that as well. If Kurogane and Bulge are the cushions this time around it would be nice if that is enough to get it and KM another round of chapters.

Medaka is low but I'm not too surprised but now that a certain character is out of the equation for a bit hopefully it rises up a bit more. Bleach is where it belongs again so no surprises there either. I am a bit surprised Beelzebub is low. I haven't followed the series in I don't know how long so I have no idea why that might be.
 

Lutzinho

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
54
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Bulge is doing really poorly. A shame... it has a lot of potential imo and the most recent chapters have been rather good. And I just don't understand why Beelzebub is always so low is the ToC. It's easily my second favorite series in Jump after OP.
And I'm glad Haikyu is continuing to rank high
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Maybe it means nothing, but I don't remember seeing a new series still unranked been placed in the second place.
The only one I can remember is Dragon Ball in the 80's (probably there's another one since then), and we all know what came after that.

Maybe it's not conclusive, but being placed this high is something not common at all.
Since 1999, the following series ranked 2d or 3d (1st or 2d with traditional count) in their 8 first chapters of publication:
  • Sand Land
  • Eyeshield 21
  • Busō Renkin
  • Kanagawa Isonan Fūtengumi
  • Sword Breaker
  • Death Note

3 of them lasted less than 20 chapters...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Maybe it means nothing, but I don't remember seeing a new series still unranked been placed in the second place.
The only one I can remember is Dragon Ball in the 80's (probably there's another one since then), and we all know what came after that.

Maybe it's not conclusive, but being placed this high is something not common at all.
While I agree top five placement is usually a good sign, this time I'm a little skeptical. This is the third recent title placed in the top five, all by previously serialized mangaka, each with a previous serialization lasting five volumes or more. While obviously impossible to confirm, a pattern is a pattern. Bulge was consistently given top five placement every week, and yet has fallen to last place in only it's third ranking. There is no accounting for taste; in a magazine that specializes in the generic, assuming Bulge's low ranking is based on quality would be giving Jump readers more credit than they deserve.
 
Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Since 1999, the following series ranked 2d or 3d (1st or 2d with traditional count) in their 8 first chapters of publication:
  • Sand Land
  • Eyeshield 21
  • Busō Renkin
  • Kanagawa Isonan Fūtengumi
  • Sword Breaker
  • Death Note

3 of them lasted less than 20 chapters...
Well, if it's Sandland by Toriyama, then I wouldn't count it, as the series seemed to be meant as a shorter story.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Since 1999, the following series ranked 2d or 3d (1st or 2d with traditional count) in their 8 first chapters of publication:
  • Sand Land
  • Eyeshield 21
  • Busō Renkin
  • Kanagawa Isonan Fūtengumi
  • Sword Breaker
  • Death Note

3 of them lasted less than 20 chapters...
Speaking of Sandman, has anyone here read it? Is it any good? I remember being interested in reading years ago yet I never did. I simply forgot about it until now xD
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Speaking of Sandman, has anyone here read it? Is it any good? I remember being interested in reading years ago yet I never did. I simply forgot about it until now xD
Slightly off-topic, but oh well:
I think it's good. A short, enjoyable read with typical Toriyama-characters and a good story. Probably even better than Dr. Slump and early Dragonball (which are rather gag-manga), as it shows more substance.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm hopeful that Assassination Classroom will do well (at least early on), but I agree it's definitely too early to tell.

A lot of new series have been rising in popularity as of late (kind of like 2008), so it seems like Jump's going the extra mile right now to promote anything that looks like it might have a shot at success.
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Booooh!:o Dr.Slump and Dragonball were comedy gold compared to DBZ, which was more action based. So of course it's more mature and the story telling is better than in his very first manga.

It's short and good, so yes worth a read. I feel so old looking at the release date...
 
Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Booooh!:o Dr.Slump and Dragonball were comedy gold compared to DBZ, which was more action based. So of course it's more mature and the story telling is better than in his very first manga.

It's short and good, so yes worth a read.
I'm not saying either of them were bad, they were fantastic (I've only read the first volume of Dr.Slump to be honest, but it was pure genius), it's just that they lacked the depth Sandland provides. That's all I'm saying. (Guess the term 'better' is always a little misleading)

And DBZ was just okay.

To get back on topic, I think Assassination Classroom can't be compared to Bulge. It will probably become some kind of episodic cult-manga like Gintama, while Bulge is a rather plot-centered adventure, so it can easily lose readers because the start of an arc sucks(even though the climax might be great). So while I would not necessarily assume that this top five placement is an indicator for future popularity, I think that it means more than in Bulge's case.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top