Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Where have they screwed with characterisation or replaced canon? I do not see this anywhere within the series.
Dude even in the manga Gon is reduced and Kurapika is extended. You act like we won't get enough of Gon even though the next episode will be all abut Gon and there are still many episodes and STORY ARCS ahead that centre almost exclusively on him. Chill out dude, you are jumping to conclusions and making outlandish statements way too soon.
1999 screwed up characterizations (Kurapika)
2011 replaced Canon--at least in the sense they have had filler related to Kurapika or the Phantom Troupe at the expense of Gon, Killua and Leorio.

Of course we will be getting an entire episode dedicated to Gon...that is Gon and the Phantom Troupe.

Before that it was supposed to be Gon and Killua trying to make money to get Greed Island. 2011 has made that into a foot note.
1999 went to more detail (though it too condenses some stuff) and well it's bland in the 99. But in the manga it's exciting.
Sure it's not "edge of your seat" exciting. But it's fun seeing Gon and Killua two 12 year old kids trying to make a lot of money in not a lot of time.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Great for them. I do give a shit though. How would you like it if they treated Greed Island the same way? What if Madhouse decided
"Hey, all this card collecting stuff is boring. So let's wrap it up quickly so we can get to the big fight?"
Wouldn't you be disappointed?

Yes Kurapika is the main focus but that doesn't mean Gon's story isn't important in the manga version of Yorknew. Gon is searching for Greed Island
remember? I'd say that's an DAMN important plot point. Actually when you think about it. KURAPIKA'S story is the "side story" if you consider
Gon the protagonist and finding his dad the plot. Though I wouldn't even say that. Hunter x Hunter is about the Hunter and the Hunt.
We're are getting Kurapika's hunt in great detail but Gon's hunt is largely glossed over. Why? Because impatient people think it's "boring".

I like Kurapika and I like the Spiders just fine. It's that I want a bit more respect towards Gon's side of the story.
As much as it sucks to say, it isn't about the individual but about the masses. If one person doesn't like them skimping on the finer details but the majority prefer it, whose opinion do you think is heard? It's just a fact of life Sticky. We don't always get what we want. A lot of people like Justin Bieber, I however can't stand him, does me saying that make Justin Bieber behave differently or go away? No it doesn't because the large majority like him. Much like the large majority of viewers are more interested in whats happening with Kurapika than what is happening with Gon and friends. DOn't get me wrong, I want to see more of Gon and company, because I believe their quest to Greed Island to be a very interesting side story, but unfortunately that is not the way this arc was written. THe focus is Kurapika and that is how it should be considering he will be gone for a long time after this.

As for your comment about Greed Island, I have to say that Madhouse has never up until now skimped on the important details, NOT ONCE have they not shown something critical and pivotal to the plot like that. Now comparing Zepile impact and the minor auction stuff with Gon and friends, the impact of that is nothing in comparison all it exists for is to show that they are making some progress towards Greed Island, that is all it exists for. Zepile the character exists simply for the purpose of continuing there Greed Island hunt while they go off and get involved with the Troupe.

I feel they have respected Gons side just fine and shown everything important to his story. I feel that you give too much weight to trivial scenes that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
1999 screwed up characterizations (Kurapika)
2011 replaced Canon--at least in the sense they have had filler related to Kurapika or the Phantom Troupe at the expense of Gon, Killua and Leorio.

Of course we will be getting an entire episode dedicated to Gon...that is Gon and the Phantom Troupe.

Before that it was supposed to be Gon and Killua trying to make money to get Greed Island. 2011 has made that into a foot note.
1999 went to more detail (though it too condenses some stuff) and well it's bland in the 99. But in the manga it's exciting.
Sure it's not "edge of your seat" exciting. But it's fun seeing Gon and Killua two 12 year old kids trying to make a lot of money in not a lot of time.
What in the hell they did not at all replace canon. All the major canonical points are represented.
99 was not in any way better than 2011 in my eyes, in my opinion it only made this side story more boring to viewers than it already was.
It's slow paced and does not feature much action, 1999 accentuated that to the point I was bored to tears.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What in the hell they did not at all replace canon. All the major canonical points are represented.
99 was not in any way better than 2011 in my eyes, in my opinion it only made this side story more boring to viewers than it already was.
It's slow paced and does not feature much action, 1999 accentuated that to the point I was bored to tears.
Having the major canonical points represented is not the same thing as having the canon itself. I want a story--not an itinerary.

99 was only really slow paced in the beginning. It was fast paced at Yorknew.

I suppose you find much of the manga boring then?
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Yup, masses don't like too much talking in their Shonen series. How Gon GETS Greed island sadly isn't that interesting to people, at least not those rewatching the series for one. It's a shame because I do find it interesting. I definitely hope they take their time with the Greed Island arc, though I do genuinely find some of the card stuff boring (or mostly unimportant save for a few specific parts that move the story forward) (unlike the auction stuff)
I used to think the auction stuff and the card stuff was boring. But I dunno now I admire all the details. I guess it's because it actually sorta makes
sense. Whereas when another manga goes into detail it's boring and trite. I MUCH rather read about Gon and Killua's adventure of getting scammed
then another friggin' monologue from Sasuke about how nobody knows his pain...or even more then some dull, pointless Madara vs Kages battle.
Sorry to bring up Naruto but the point I'm trying to make is that the "talking" in Hunter x Hunter is far more exciting than much of the "action"
in other manga and anime.

It's not like they can't make the stuff interesting. I mean if they can make a story about a guy who sits in a chair all day and eats potato chips
and in a completely unrelated scene someone dies from an heart attack look cool. Then they can make the talking stuff in Hunter x Hunter look cool.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

As much as it sucks to say, it isn't about the individual but about the masses. If one person doesn't like them skimping on the finer details but the majority prefer it, whose opinion do you think is heard? It's just a fact of life Sticky. We don't always get what we want. A lot of people like Justin Bieber, I however can't stand him, does me saying that make Justin Bieber behave differently or go away? No it doesn't because the large majority like him. Much like the large majority of viewers are more interested in whats happening with Kurapika than what is happening with Gon and friends. DOn't get me wrong, I want to see more of Gon and company, because I believe their quest to Greed Island to be a very interesting side story, but unfortunately that is not the way this arc was written. THe focus is Kurapika and that is how it should be considering he will be gone for a long time after this.

As for your comment about Greed Island, I have to say that Madhouse has never up until now skimped on the important details, NOT ONCE have they not shown something critical and pivotal to the plot like that. Now comparing Zepile impact and the minor auction stuff with Gon and friends, the impact of that is nothing in comparison all it exists for is to show that they are making some progress towards Greed Island, that is all it exists for. Zepile the character exists simply for the purpose of continuing there Greed Island hunt while they go off and get involved with the Troupe.

I feel they have respected Gons side just fine and shown everything important to his story. I feel that you give too much weight to trivial scenes that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Like I said. I'm not an idiot. I know I'm in the minority. I know the spiders are more popular than the hunt for Greed Island.
That doesn't mean I'm going to shut up about it and just smile and say "This is great" just because everyone else does.

You know what I think I WILL get you wrong. I think if skipped Zepile and went straight to the Phantom Troupe you would be just fine with that.

It depends on what you would consider "Important details". But in any case it's less that details have been abandoned that bothers
me and more that we're not really experiencing Gon, Killua and Leorio's journey as we do in the manga. By taking away that it makes
this stuff more dull, actually.

Here's a question for you. If Kurapika's story is the main focus and that's what people want...why did Togashi write the hunt for Greed Island in
as much detail as he did in the first place? Was he just trying to fill space?

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

If next week I like the episode please do not tell me "see even you like the Spiders". I'm not trying to say I hate the Spiders or I hate Kurapika.
I actually like that storyline a lot. It's just that I like the other stuff just as much. Am I overly obsessed? Probably but hey what can I say. I love HxH.
If I say that the spiders suck or anything negative...please realize I'm doing so to try and make a point and not because I actually dislike the spiders and kurapika.

That aside I'm taking a breather from all this arguing. Clearly my tastes are quite different from many on this forum and well you just can't argue tastes.

Besides I want to hear PoPo's thoughts! Along with Shinobi-03's comparison whenever he gets the time.

And also I'm already disappointed in the episode. So now I'd like to focus more on what I DID like.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

I used to think the auction stuff and the card stuff was boring. But I dunno now I admire all the details. I guess it's because it actually sorta makes
sense. Whereas when another manga goes into detail it's boring and trite. I MUCH rather read about Gon and Killua's adventure of getting scammed
then another friggin' monologue from Sasuke about how nobody knows his pain...or even more then some dull, pointless Madara vs Kages battle.
Sorry to bring up Naruto but the point I'm trying to make is that the "talking" in Hunter x Hunter is far more exciting than much of the "action"
in other manga and anime.

It's not like they can't make the stuff interesting. I mean if they can make a story about a guy who sits in a chair all day and eats potato chips
and in a completely unrelated scene someone dies from an heart attack look cool. Then they can make the talking stuff in Hunter x Hunter look cool.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------




Like I said. I'm not an idiot. I know I'm in the minority. I know the spiders are more popular than the hunt for Greed Island.
That doesn't mean I'm going to shut up about it and just smile and say "This is great" just because everyone else does.

You know what I think I WILL get you wrong. I think if skipped Zepile and went straight to the Phantom Troupe you would be just fine with that.

It depends on what you would consider "Important details". But in any case it's less that details have been abandoned that bothers
me and more that we're not really experiencing Gon, Killua and Leorio's journey as we do in the manga. By taking away that it makes
this stuff more dull, actually.

Here's a question for you. If Kurapika's story is the main focus and that's what people want...why did Togashi write the hunt for Greed Island in
as much detail as he did in the first place? Was he just trying to fill space?

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

If next week I like the episode please do not tell me "see even you like the Spiders". I'm not trying to say I hate the Spiders or I hate Kurapika.
I actually like that storyline a lot. It's just that I like the other stuff just as much. Am I overly obsessed? Probably but hey what can I say. I love HxH.
If I say that the spiders suck or anything negative...please realize I'm doing so to try and make a point and not because I actually dislike the spiders and kurapika.

That aside I'm taking a breather from all this arguing. Clearly my tastes are quite different from many on this forum and well you just can't argue tastes.

Besides I want to hear PoPo's thoughts! Along with Shinobi-03's comparison whenever he gets the time.

And also I'm already disappointed in the episode. So now I'd like to focus more on what I DID like.
No actually I would not be fine with them skipping it. Zepile is actually my favourite non-Troupe character in this story arc. But I just understand why they did this. Am I happy with it? Not really. Do I care? Not really either. It is because I understand this and feel that they did his character justice.

Togashi wrote the hunt for greed island because it is necessary to get from one point to the other. Is it an important part of the story? Yes. Are the things that were cut a deal breaker? No. Do they damage the story and what it needs to convey to us? No.

The main focus of this arc is indeed Kurapika and the Troupe, that should of course be the foremost highlighted story in this arc, but the hunt for greed island of course should also be there, does it deserve as much time as the Troupe? No it doesnt because in the grand scheme of things, it exists to simply set up the next story arc. It is just a side story to lay the ground work, it is not as important to the York New arc as the Kurapika story is. That is the facts of the matter.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Having the major canonical points represented is not the same thing as having the canon itself. I want a story--not an itinerary.

99 was only really slow paced in the beginning. It was fast paced at Yorknew.

I suppose you find much of the manga boring then?
From my understanding you want every single thing in the manga to be represented in the anime. Is that correct?

No actually I love this manga, I have been reading it since I was 12 myself and have never considered it 'boring'.

But I am open to understanding that others see things differently to me, including you. Do I agree with you? No. Understand you? Yes, but still disagree.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

No actually I would not be fine with them skipping it. Zepile is actually my favourite non-Troupe character in this story arc. But I just understand why they did this. Am I happy with it? Not really. Do I care? Not really either. It is because I understand this and feel that they did his character justice.

Togashi wrote the hunt for greed island because it is necessary to get from one point to the other. Is it an important part of the story? Yes. Are the things that were cut a deal breaker? No. Do they damage the story and what it needs to convey to us? No.

The main focus of this arc is indeed Kurapika and the Troupe, that should of course be the foremost highlighted story in this arc, but the hunt for greed island of course should also be there, does it deserve as much time as the Troupe? No it doesnt because in the grand scheme of things, it exists to simply set up the next story arc. It is just a side story to lay the ground work, it is not as important to the York New arc as the Kurapika story is. That is the facts of the matter.
You don't care. I do care.

It depends on what you consider a deal breaker and what damages the story.
You might think just having Gon say "I pawned my license" is the same thing
as actually SEEING Gon pawn his license but I don't. To me it's not the same thing.
It's like the difference between seeing a photo of the Grand Canyon and
seeing the real thing.

I never said it should have as much time as the Troupe. I just think it shouldn't be a practical foot note.

Maybe you and many others think Gon going to Southernbees and buying the catalog as a very matter
of fact sequence gets the job done but I like to actually enjoy the experience. Of course they
can't get EVERY little detail. And I'm not expecting them to. Hunter Exam arc did not go into
every little detail and yet I enjoyed it very much. I actually the Zoldyck arc despite the crummy
start. Why? Because the rest made up for it. We got a well balanced story between Gon
and Killua. It wasn't "Gon's story is more important" or "Killua's story is more important."
like how it seems to be with this arc.


But anyhow as for stuff I liked in this episode.

The beginning shot of Yorknew looked great!

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

You see, that is exactly what I was talking about. HxH has many deceiving hints, that may mislead the viewers. And that imo is very interesting. Now when they cut the 'unnecessary' parts, HxH loses a great part of its zest.
Pretty much how I feel! It's the zest!
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
From my understanding you want every single thing in the manga to be represented in the anime. Is that correct?

No actually I love this manga, I have been reading it since I was 12 myself and have never considered it 'boring'.

But I am open to understanding that others see things differently to me, including you. Do I agree with you? No. Understand you? Yes, but still disagree.

Well of course I WANT everything in the manga to be in the anime! What kind of silly question is that?
Do you NOT want everything from the manga in the anime? If they animated everything from the manga
would you complain? Would you think "Aw man...why did they have to leave THAT in?"

I didn't ask if you find the manga itself boring but "much of the manga" because if you have reading it since you were 12
you should then notice that Hunter x Hunter is a very detailed manga that often goes into seemingly "dull" stuff---like learning about scams.
Do you find stuff like that boring? Did you find the election arc--minus rescue Alluka boring?

to be honest---actually I thought the election arc was dull (though a lot of that had to do with coming back from the excitement of Chimera Ant Arc)

But when they animate it---I want ALL of the election arc shown.

I dunno maybe this is my curse for not caring as much as I should have back when Madhouse combined the Sushi Exam. :(
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,623
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I've decided---That 1999 Yorknew > 2011 Yorknew

Yes, 2011 has had a better Kurapika vs Uvogin and is more violent and all that jazz.

But the 1999 has a better balance with Kurapika's story and Gon's story. Which is annoying for me to say since I thought even the 1999 was
out of balance with Kurapika and Gon. But man. Madhouse has been doing TERRIBLE with keeping that balance. It's the Kurapika Korner as I feared. :(
I dunno if I completely agree with this. The manga also completely became overrun with spiders at this point. While I agree that MH's omissions have been pretty vexing, It's not like MH has removed entire chapters of Gon and Killua and replaced them with like...I dunno scenes of Chrollo bathing. 1999 only seems to have a better balance because it mostly maintained the same chapter order as the manga which has benefits and disadvantages. Plus I think it's sorta hasty to say that one is better than the other since MH isn't done yet. If this keeps up till the beginning of Greed Island, then I think you have a case for saying 1999 did a better job. Of course you are entitled to feel however you want, but I'm going to wait till Yorkshin is over till I say Nippon did better or worse.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I didn't ask if you find the manga itself boring but "much of the manga" because if you have reading it since you were 12
you should then notice that Hunter x Hunter is a very detailed manga that often goes into seemingly "dull" stuff---like learning about scams.
Do you find stuff like that boring? Did you find the election arc--minus rescue Alluka boring?

to be honest---actually I thought the election arc was dull (though a lot of that had to do with coming back from the excitement of Chimera Ant Arc)

But when they animate it---I want ALL of the election arc shown.
I think the Election arc could be a hit or miss without Alluka there, simply because it was a political arc and I don't think a lot of people are into that.

Though honestly, I actually enjoyed more the parts that weren't related to Alluka. I guess I'm alone in this?
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,623
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I think the Election arc could be a hit or miss without Alluka there, simply because it was a political arc and I don't think a lot of people are into that.

Though honestly, I actually enjoyed more the parts that weren't related to Alluka. I guess I'm alone in this?
I thought both halves of the arc were pretty entertaining, TBH. The election arc wouldn't have been nearly as interesting without the whole Zoldyick family feud going on (Gon's life hanging in the balance was also something that kept me on the edge of my seat), but a whole 30 chapters about Alluka would have also been a bit slow. What made both work is how Togashi managed to tell a coherent story using both elements. Whereas other shounen tend to skimp over stuff that isn't fighting or training, Togashi revels in it, and I would like all of it to be represented in any anime adaption of his work that is created. That being said, I don't think 2011's yorkshin is a complete failure...yet. They've still got quite a bit of stuff to go through.

As I said in the other thread (Or was it this one? The ideas expressed in both the Madhouse thread and this one sometimes overlap...), MH still has a clear advantage to me because they're sticking with Togashi's depictions of the characters. Is that what makes or breaks the show for everyone? No. It does for me though, and unless MH starts screwing up the characters like 1999 they'll always be slightly ahead of the 1999 predecessor. I just wish they'd stop dragging Hirano's OST through the mud. It's so good on it's own, but during the show....
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
-EPISODE 48-

Manga: End of chapter 80, beginning of 81, two pages from 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, First two pages of 89
Nippon’s Adaptation: First and fourth quarter of episode 56, episode 57


First thing to mention, there’s an omitted scene at the end of episode 46 when Killua tells the others that his dad killed one of the Spiders in the past and his warning to his children. I was expecting it to be moved to this episode but it didn’t happen. This scene is available in episode 56 from Nippon’s adaptation. I’m still thinking there’s a chance to show it in the next episode due to its importance to the plot.





A filler scene in Nippon’s adaptation.



The search scene was omitted from Madhouse’s adaptation





Planning the next move and Gon decision to use his license was shortened in Madhouse’s adaptation and extended in Nippon’s adaptation.







The scene when Gon pawns his license was omitted from Madhouse’s adaptation. (Why is Gon blushing in Nippon’s adaptation?!)




The description of Southernbees auction and buying the catalogue was shortened in Madhouse’s adaptation.






In the first scene of the episode, Gon mentions his plot to catch the Spiders in the manga. Leoreo does repeat it in the manga in this scene but the description of the bazaar was left for later and moved straight to the knife scene. In Nippon’s adaptation the plan was not repeated and moved straight to the knife. The knife scene was also altered in MH’s where they descripe it in front of the seller instead of afterwards, plus they didn’t show us Ben’s portrait. And again, Leoreo’s haggling was omitted as well which was done in Nippon’s adaptation too.










Hiei





Someone needs some eye drops!


Miluki’s cameo was omitted from Madhouse’s adaptation.




This scene is manga only



Gon did not call the painting “chicken scratch” in either adaptation





The conversation was between the three in the manga instead of Gon and Killua





The deal scene was shortened in Madhouse’s adaptation and moved to a later scene.




Gon’s comment about Killua’s lies was not heard in Madhouse’s adaptation. The lie scene was omitted in Nippon’s adaptation. (Also notice the subtle differences between the preview (bottom) and the episode (top))





The calculations did not appear in Madhouse’s adaptation




The statue’s features were not clear looking in the manga





The merchant does not mention the one interested to buy the wood in Madhouse’s adaptation



Zepile



This guy was supposed to appear later (end of chapter 87) and his dialogue is based on what appeared in chapter 88. This was in episode 57 of Nippon’s, but Taloon the manager did not appear. Zepile mentions the reasons why Gon and Killua can’t auction their loot which is the same what the earlier guy said before visiting the shop.









The bet was not present in the manga.



The vault opening was at the end of chapter 87, that’s after introducing each other. Here it came first and in the shop.



When asking about the game, Killua answers instead of Gon





Gon’s request for Zepile to teach him the methods of counterfeiting and Zepile’s thoughts of him were from the end of chapter 88. In Nippon’s adaptation Gon asks the bald guy in the auction preview






The figurine inside the capsule is different.





Machi and Nobunaga





The abridging was terrible! Yes, we got it… everyone wants the Spiders back and no one cares about the market mumbo jumbo… at least the important parts were kept in and that’s what’s needed, but again, I don’t like skipping the scenes like this! Especially to someone like me who goes to online auctions and in a field that get knock-offed and these tidbits are interesting to me and it may come in handy in real life.

6.5\10
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dunno if I completely agree with this. The manga also completely became overrun with spiders at this point. While I agree that MH's omissions have been pretty vexing, It's not like MH has removed entire chapters of Gon and Killua and replaced them with like...I dunno scenes of Chrollo bathing. 1999 only seems to have a better balance because it mostly maintained the same chapter order as the manga which has benefits and disadvantages. Plus I think it's sorta hasty to say that one is better than the other since MH isn't done yet. If this keeps up till the beginning of Greed Island, then I think you have a case for saying 1999 did a better job. Of course you are entitled to feel however you want, but I'm going to wait till Yorkshin is over till I say Nippon did better or worse.
Actually quite a lot has been either left out, reduced, or combined. I'm not sure exactly how much but it's probably around a chapter or two total.
The problem with saying "wait until Yorknew is over" is that we're already past the hunt for Greed Island. Now it's everyone hunt the spiders.
So yeah we'll be getting more Gon and Killua...But because it's related to the spiders story. Once the Yorknew arc is over it will go to the
Greed Island story (I consider it beginning in volume 13) but then that will be a new arc. The hunt for Greed Island in THIS arc has
already been past.

So I can already say that Madhouse is imbalanced between Kurapika's revenge story and Gon's hunt for Greed Island. That's a fact.


Now when I say the 1999 has better balance don't mistake that for me saying it has good balance. 1999 skips stuff and what not too.
But the fact is the 1999 series left more in and skipped less than the 2011 series did when it comes to Gon's hunt for Greed Island.

Madhouse basically said "this part is boring. so let's just get the main plot points and otherwise skip that story so we can get to the
good stuff with Kurapika." and that disappoints me because hey I like the spiders stuff but I wanted the hunt for Greed Island
as not only "breather" but also as Gon's own adventure that would create that

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

ligiht and dark effect. It's like they are really pushing the dark but there's time for the light.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If you compare this episode to the 340 chapters of HxH.....Than you can understand why Madhouse is doing this. Greed island has been embedded in everyones heads already...PT and Kurpika having their shine isn't bad at alll....I'm saying this when comparing to the overall story...The omissions and re-routing scenes suck, but hey blame the manga for spoiling most of the story for Madhouse....... =[]
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If you compare this episode to the 340 chapters of HxH.....Than you can understand why Madhouse is doing this. Greed island has been embedded in everyones heads already...PT and Kurpika having their shine isn't bad at alll....I'm saying this when comparing to the overall story...The omissions and re-routing scenes suck, but hey blame the manga for spoiling most of the story for Madhouse....... =[]
So is basically what you're saying is that because there are 340 chapters that Madhouse can decide which ones "don't matter" and leave them out?

Perhaps in a sense. But in another sense I say Togashi wrote them so they must matter to SOME degree.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

-EPISODE 48-

Manga: End of chapter 80, beginning of 81, two pages from 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, First two pages of 89
Nippon’s Adaptation: First and fourth quarter of episode 56, episode 57


First thing to mention, there’s an omitted scene at the end of episode 46 when Killua tells the others that his dad killed one of the Spiders in the past and his warning to his children. I was expecting it to be moved to this episode but it didn’t happen. This scene is available in episode 56 from Nippon’s adaptation. I’m still thinking there’s a chance to show it in the next episode due to its importance to the plot.





A filler scene in Nippon’s adaptation.



The search scene was omitted from Madhouse’s adaptation





Planning the next move and Gon decision to use his license was shortened in Madhouse’s adaptation and extended in Nippon’s adaptation.







The scene when Gon pawns his license was omitted from Madhouse’s adaptation. (Why is Gon blushing in Nippon’s adaptation?!)




The description of Southernbees auction and buying the catalogue was shortened in Madhouse’s adaptation.






In the first scene of the episode, Gon mentions his plot to catch the Spiders in the manga. Leoreo does repeat it in the manga in this scene but the description of the bazaar was left for later and moved straight to the knife scene. In Nippon’s adaptation the plan was not repeated and moved straight to the knife. The knife scene was also altered in MH’s where they descripe it in front of the seller instead of afterwards, plus they didn’t show us Ben’s portrait. And again, Leoreo’s haggling was omitted as well which was done in Nippon’s adaptation too.










Hiei





Someone needs some eye drops!


Miluki’s cameo was omitted from Madhouse’s adaptation.




This scene is manga only



Gon did not call the painting “chicken scratch” in either adaptation





The conversation was between the three in the manga instead of Gon and Killua





The deal scene was shortened in Madhouse’s adaptation and moved to a later scene.




Gon’s comment about Killua’s lies was not heard in Madhouse’s adaptation. The lie scene was omitted in Nippon’s adaptation. (Also notice the subtle differences between the preview (bottom) and the episode (top))





The calculations did not appear in Madhouse’s adaptation




The statue’s features were not clear looking in the manga





The merchant does not mention the one interested to buy the wood in Madhouse’s adaptation



Zepile



This guy was supposed to appear later (end of chapter 87) and his dialogue is based on what appeared in chapter 88. This was in episode 57 of Nippon’s, but Taloon the manager did not appear. Zepile mentions the reasons why Gon and Killua can’t auction their loot which is the same what the earlier guy said before visiting the shop.









The bet was not present in the manga.



The vault opening was at the end of chapter 87, that’s after introducing each other. Here it came first and in the shop.



When asking about the game, Killua answers instead of Gon





Gon’s request for Zepile to teach him the methods of counterfeiting and Zepile’s thoughts of him were from the end of chapter 88. In Nippon’s adaptation Gon asks the bald guy in the auction preview






The figurine inside the capsule is different.





Machi and Nobunaga





The abridging was terrible! Yes, we got it… everyone wants the Spiders back and no one cares about the market mumbo jumbo… at least the important parts were kept in and that’s what’s needed, but again, I don’t like skipping the scenes like this! Especially to someone like me who goes to online auctions and in a field that get knock-offed and these tidbits are interesting to me and it may come in handy in real life.

6.5\10
Heh. Almost missed this! Ok it's READING TIME!

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

As usual another excellent comparison by Shinobi-03.

It's too bad both the 1999 and 2011 episodes are a case of the "lesser of two evils."

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

On a lighter note in the dub the dude who asks if Zepile has an official certificate of authenticity...has an hilarious voice.
He sounds like a really old school waxed moustache villain. It's amazing.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,623
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Actually quite a lot has been either left out, reduced, or combined. I'm not sure exactly how much but it's probably around a chapter or two total.
The problem with saying "wait until Yorknew is over" is that we're already past the hunt for Greed Island. Now it's everyone hunt the spiders.
So yeah we'll be getting more Gon and Killua...But because it's related to the spiders story. Once the Yorknew arc is over it will go to the
Greed Island story (I consider it beginning in volume 13) but then that will be a new arc. The hunt for Greed Island in THIS arc has
already been past.

So I can already say that Madhouse is imbalanced between Kurapika's revenge story and Gon's hunt for Greed Island. That's a fact.


Now when I say the 1999 has better balance don't mistake that for me saying it has good balance. 1999 skips stuff and what not too.
But the fact is the 1999 series left more in and skipped less than the 2011 series did when it comes to Gon's hunt for Greed Island.

Madhouse basically said "this part is boring. so let's just get the main plot points and otherwise skip that story so we can get to the
good stuff with Kurapika." and that disappoints me because hey I like the spiders stuff but I wanted the hunt for Greed Island
as not only "breather" but also as Gon's own adventure that would create that

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

ligiht and dark effect. It's like they are really pushing the dark but there's time for the light.
True. Don't get me wrong either, I'm not trying to say 'Oh it's just filler shit about Zepile, no one cares about that.' I'm annoyed they're cutting this much too. I may have just misunderstood you, and if I did I'm sorry. It just sounded as if you were saying the arc wasn't ALREADY mostly about the spiders and Kurapika. In any case people like most of us here might be disappointed because we read and love the manga, but I've noticed non manga readers are pretty cool with this. That's awesome since it means more fans might be tempted to check out 1999 and or the manga after seeing this, which is pretty much the purpose of any anime.



So much quality in these screenshots. So. Much. Quality.

Like I said before, Nippon animation may have included the manga scenes, but it looks as if they only did because they 1) needed the filler to keep pace with the manga or 2) Were forced to. That animation doesn't seem indicative of a company that kept this in 'cause they thought it was necessary.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's a bit unfair to Nippon, that artist animated earlier episodes in the series and it doesn't need the A team. It doesn't have any major fight sequences so I always saw that as saving all the budget for the big moments of Yorknew, not a diss on the Zepile chapters themselves. That being said, its ugly as sin compared to how much better the other Yorknew episodes look in comparison. Though there's a few shots that look okay to me.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,623
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
That's a bit unfair to Nippon, that artist animated earlier episodes in the series and it doesn't need the A team. It doesn't have any major fight sequences so I always saw that as saving all the budget for the big moments of Yorknew, not a diss on the Zepile chapters themselves. That being said, its ugly as sin compared to how much better the other Yorknew episodes look in comparison. Though there's a few shots that look okay to me.
I'm fine with episodes that have lots of still frames or panning shots when it's a lot of characters just talking. That's per the course. But bad art direction is bad art direction, whether it's the A team or not.
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Manga: End of chapter 80, beginning of 81, two pages from 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, First two pages of 89
Nippon’s Adaptation: First and fourth quarter of episode 56, episode 57


First thing to mention, there’s an omitted scene at the end of episode 46 when Killua tells the others that his dad killed one of the Spiders in the past and his warning to his children. I was expecting it to be moved to this episode but it didn’t happen. This scene is available in episode 56 from Nippon’s adaptation. I’m still thinking there’s a chance to show it in the next episode due to its importance to the plot.


I think they will include that scene here:
In this scene Killua mentions what he said about his father before. Maybe in the anime he will tell them there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top