Re: Googlez&!
Aaaah, I remember. Great, this will be fun.
---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------
Well, the Realism is not what you would usually call exciting or anything like that. I am, though, quite amazed by the richness of words and language. You know, authors like Flaubert and Tolstoj are just so eloquent. Their language is full of color. And it’s figuratively blowing my mind just how vast their knowledge is, like, what they know about fabrics or certain trades, alchemy, etc.…
Speaking of alchemy, maybe you might find Ben Jonson’s play “The Alchemist” to your liking. (That is, if you haven’t read it already.) I’m usually not that much into drama but this one was really cool, IMO!
Lol, yeah, it was the same for me. (Both, the longevity of said feeling of accomplishment and the parties and whatnot.) That was a great time, really.
And I’m happy to hear we share that opinion. It’s kinda my wish to try and establish a certain niche for manga in the academic context, like it already exists in Japan and to smaller extent in the USA. That would be really great.
Manga still do have this – how we would probably call it here – “Dünkel” about them, like this sort of label 'it’s stuff for kids and/or girls in puberty'. Although admittedly this has become a little better in recent times with the “discovery” of the Light Novel as a medium to directly market comics for adults. For example, there are two or three Manga featured in Süddeutsche Zeitung’s Light Novel series: Taniguchi’s
Aruku hito (“Der spazierende Mann”, was it?) and Nakazawa’s
Hadashi no Gen (“Barfuß durch Hiroshima”) and I think there might have been one by Tezuka, I’m not sure about that last one though. (Might be confusing it with Carlsen Comics’ publishing of BUDDHA as a Light Novel Hardcover Edition.)
But I can understand the publishers. Budget still runs very tight on them, they can hardly afford taking risks, so they have to go with mainstream stuff, which is easily marketable or series akin to earlier hit series. – I think it was Carlsen (or Tokyo Pop Germany) who said they try to squeeze in one more experimental title (i.e. Seinen manga in general) once every quarter of their fiscal year.
Lately, there have been quite a few good serializations in my opinion! TokyoPop went for friggin
Punpun and
solanin (still think about asking them if they already have a translator for the former…), EMA got themselves
LIAR GAME and Carlsen publishes – besides great stuff like Nausicaä’s new edition –
Vinland Saga and
I Am A Hero. So I think there had been nastier times.
German anime industry is a whole different story though. But since I generally don’t really give a shit about anime (I have to cut back somewhere, I already read literally hundreds of manga) I won’t poke my nose into that matter.
Oh, and sure can do! If by then, we’re still both active around MH and build up a peachy bromance we could hang out one time. – Might be nice for you guys to have someone around who knows the language and – hopefully by then – knows some cool spots! : )
Another tl;dr post in your thread. Sorry!
Nice, I'll try to get my hands on The Alchemist.
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about the 'discovery', as you named it. While I do appreaciate the thought (I really do. Manga can't possibly keep this annoying image in Germany...), I was never a fan of flipping manga. Furthermore, sometimes you even notice something strange about the panelling or the position of the speech bubbles feels odd. Funny of you to mention those particular manga, at the time you posted this I had just bought Der spazierende Mann and the first volume of Hadashi no Gen.
Yeah, guess it's not that easy for them, though it still bugs me when I see that a popular manga like Eyeshield 21 isn't published, yet, while several midly popular run-of-the-mill battle manga manage to get into the stores. Oh well, as you said, it's getting better. I own the whole Nausicaä collection and I'm getting the I Am A Hero volumes. Recently they started to publish Billy Bat, which I'm also getting. Also bought two great 'Graphic Novels' and plan on buying Liar Game and maybe, just maybe, Vinland Saga, but.....................WOW, SOLANIN???

Haven't heard of THAT yet! And Oyasumi Punpun, to boot?? I think I just wet my pants a little. Hopefully they'll consider publishing other Asano Inio manga. And while they're at it they could show some Shingeki love.
Oh, something that might support those new developments is the expansion of Shonen JUMP Alpha. If I remember correctly, they're planning to bring it to Europe. Germany will most likely be included, I think. Now you just need to look at what it has done for US readers (friggin' Nisekoi is getting licensed) in order to imagine what I'm dreaming of.(Nisekoi, AC, Haikyuu!

)
I'm the very same with anime. Though I wish I could watch some more. There are some great ones out there, but I just can't find the time.
That'd be waaaaay cool! Still don't know if we're actually making this trip. Need to save up some money first.
You only want to become an artist or both manga author and artist?
If you want to become a manga author you better start learning japanese grammar, language, and texts
If you only want to become an artist you should find a good japanese manga author partner
Totally forgot I wrote something like this. :P
I'm fine with being a manga artist here in Germany. That alone would be fantastic!
Something I might consider is going to Japan and drawing there for an author, but even that is far-fetched.
I just noticed that it's called batcave....
are you a batman fan?
No. /:
Just thought it might sound cool.
Hmm... ich sehe bei Kubo nur einen recht frischen Strich und eine ausgeprägte Liebe für Design. Sein Duktus ist bestenfalls durchschnittlich, das Problem mit den Hintergründen hast du ja bereits erwähnt und schlampig arbeitet der Knabe auch noch. (Mir gefällt z.B. nicht, dass er heutzutage größtenteils auf Schraffuren verzichtet bzw. bestenfalls mal irgendwelche halbherzigen Alibi-Striche setzt, die entfernt sowas wie Plastizität andeuten sollen...)
Und auch weniger allgemein sondern speziell auf Manga gemünzt sehe ich bei ihm Schwächen im Seitenlayout bzw. in der Ausnutzung seiner Panels. Das wirkt oftmals zu willkürlich (reihenweise nichtssagende Augenpanels mit Schlafzimmerblick), als müsse er Platz schinden, um möglichst wenig Inhalt in ein Kapitel zu packen. Der Seitenaufbau ähnelt dem eines Storyboards. -- Das ist prinzipiell natürlich nix verwerfliches. Gekiga arbeitet ja quasi ausschließlich mit derartigem Layout. Nur lässt hier halt das Gesamtniveau von Kubos Zeichnungen – zu einem Teil sicherlich auch dem wöchentlichen Erscheinungsrhythmus seiner Serie geschuldet – deutlich zu wünschen übrig. Den rauchen Gekiga-Größen sowas von in der Pfeife...
Aber über Geschmack lässt sich ja bekanntlich streiten. Macht aber Spaß sich mit einem Künstler über derartiges auszutauschen, da ich selbst halt eher der (Kunst-)Theoretiker bin.
// Thought I should better put that here because it got longer than intended and too much Tsherman might scare the others away. xD
Warte, lass mich ein bisschen in Bleach rumblättern (mein Bruder besitzt die ganze Sammlung), bevor ich das beantworte.
Ich denke der Begriff 'Storyboard' trifft es ziemlich gut. Anfangs sah die Sache noch anders aus. Man hat gemerkt, dass Kubo sich Mühe gibt und viel Arbeit in seinen Manga steckt. Meiner Meinung nach waren die Zeichnungen dadurch allerdings etwas zu steif (obwohl sie so natürlich viel markanter waren). Mit der Zeit änderte sich das und seine Zeichnungen wurden leichter und, wie ich es immer empfand, fluffiger. Nur war es in meinen Augen kein Ausbruch aus dem etwas steiferem Zeichenstil, sondern pure Faulheit. Die Hintergründe wurden einfacher (Hueco Mundo....also bitte, Kubo) und, wie du bereits erwähntest, litt der Seitenaufbau. Was er da aufs Blatt bringt sind praktisch Skizzen. Ich denke, im Gegensatz zu früher, lässt er es jetzt einfach laufen. Ohne Plan was kommen soll. So erkläre ich mir sein scheinbar willkürliches Layout. Jedenfalls denke ich, dass diese Herangehensweise ein zweischneidiges Schwert ist. Einerseits kann er auf diese Weise eine gewisse Atmosphäre schaffen, in die man unwillkürlich eingesaugt wird, andererseits, wie es bei Kubo oft der Fall ist, kann das ordentlich in die Hose gehen, sodass man mit überflüssigen Seiten konfrontiert wird, die einem schnurz sind. Bei einem wöchentlichen Manga tut das besonders weh.
Achja, außerdem ist Kubo....ja, Kubo eben. Der versteht einfach nicht, dass Inhalt in ein Kapitel gehört.
Ein weiterer Nachteil dieses einfachen, fast schon schlampigen Zeichenstils ist die teilweise unklare Bildsprache. Dadurch leidet der Lesefluss unglaublich, da man ständig vor der Aufgabe steht zu Entschlüsseln was Kubo dem Leser mit dem Panel sagen will. Oft weiß man einfach nicht was dargestellt wird. Sowas darf nicht passieren.
So, mehr fällt mir grad nicht ein. (:
(Can't be bothered to proofread it now.)