Discussion - Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs?

Azuma

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I was reading through older chapters of One Piece, when I came across the chapter where Luffy and Zoro meet Blackbeard in Jaya and get attacked by Bellamy: http://www.mangareader.net/103-2332-16/one-piece/chapter-225.html

Reading through that for the first time, one probably didn't pay much attention to the fact that Zoro and Luffy correct Nami by saying that it's not "he", but "they". Could this in fact be a hint pointing at Blackbeard, somehow, being more than one person? This perhaps sounds absurd, but we're talking about the realm of One Piece where anything and everything seems possible (hell, we were introduced to living toys just now). The duality of Blackbeard could thus explain how he's able to have multiple Devil Fruits. It's not the first time we've been told of Blackbeard's abnormal body structure either..

Thoughts?

dacookester

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I'm pretty sure what they were talking about was that the rest of his crew were present but hidden.

Though there is a slim possibility that you are right.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, it's the basis of the Cerberus theory.

takneeque

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I was reading through older chapters of One Piece, when I came across the chapter where Luffy and Zoro meet Blackbeard in Jaya and get attacked by Bellamy: http://www.mangareader.net/103-2332-16/one-piece/chapter-225.html

Reading through that for the first time, one probably didn't pay much attention to the fact that Zoro and Luffy correct Nami by saying that it's not "he", but "they". Could this in fact be a hint pointing at Blackbeard, somehow, being more than one person? This perhaps sounds absurd, but we're talking about the realm of One Piece where anything and everything seems possible (hell, we were introduced to living toys just now). The duality of Blackbeard could thus explain how he's able to have multiple Devil Fruits. It's not the first time we've been told of Blackbeard's abnormal body structure either..

Thoughts?

it was kinda unclear to me too.what i thought was that luffy and zorro were referring to bellamy and his pirate group.when he said it's not BB but them(after getting beaten without retaliation),luffy meant he had a problem(or didn't like) with their view on piracy and dreams.i don't think luffy was talking about BB's crewmates.i don't think he even knew or cared about BB's crewmates.

now,i get it.i think it's just because BB sounded like a (real)pirate with a crew.like a man on a mission.hence,zoro and luffy think it's "they".

Last edited:

Avid

Reaction score
Country
United States
The nature of the darkness of the Dark-Dark Fruit is that it is a void. I suspect the effects of pulling and crushing are caused by the interaction of this void space with our material space. It doesn't seem the void can reduce matter to nothing. The void appears to be able to at least attempt to pull(or swallow?) whatever it wants, which I think allows it to disrupt the bond between a Devil Fruit user and their Devil Fruit, and perhaps take the bond when it attempts to move on from the host.

That's what I think it is. If it was because of his body I couldn't really make sense of his waiting to eat the Dark-Dark Fruit when he could have had that ability and more all along, unless he just didn't encounter any in his travels, but I doubt that considering he turned to the Whitebeard Pirates in the hopes of the opportunity to find a singular specific Devil Fruit. He could have been biding his time to get the ultimate powers to start his takeover, but I don't really see how that would be necessary, unless his biggest priority for the longest time was staying off anybody's radar.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Thoughts?
It´s actually not that stupid to interpret it that way. We actually have 3 scenes in which there is a comment on BB´s body. First of all, we have the panel you are talking about, namely the panel after the incident in the bar against Bellamy. dacookester could be right of course that Luffy and Zoro were referring to a possible crew. Since BB had a grant speech about pirates and the new age, it is not that of a stretch to assume that he has companions. If this scene had been the only ambiguous one concerning BB, i would immediately agree that it was referring to the crew but now i have my doubts.
Marco´s comment on BB´s body for example does not have anything to do with BB´s fruit, so Avid´s opinion is probably wrong.

"For normal humans that would be the case - but as you know Teach is a little different - the makeup of his body is... atypical!" (official Viz translation)

Then there is the third scene that is pretty much always overlooked, mostly due to the fan translations and subs. Stephen at Viz, who is, among others, responsible for the official translation of One Piece into English, had great problems with Ace´s statement when he confronts BB on Banaro Island. The fan translators have translated it referring to BB´s age:

"You´ve lived twice as long as i have, there´s no way you don´t understand the situation"

Considering that BB was 38 years old at that point while Ace was 20, it is not that big of a stretch to think it refers to BB´s seniority over Ace. The thing is, the actual statement in Japanese is really ambiguous. It is almost impossible to translate it 100% accurately but if i had to, it would be something like this:

"You have lived twice the amount of lives i lived".

This can still refer to BB´s age of course, though there would be no reason for ambiguity if that were the case.

Last edited:

BurnSchulz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I am absolutely sure that the Situation at Jaya, the OP talks about here, does not mean that Luffy and Zoro saw 2 persons in him or somethinglike that. But that he is in fact a member of a Pirate Crew.
Yes they intuitively knew he was in a crew! So the "they" they used was refered to him and the rest of his crew.

llaubacher

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
I'm pretty sure what they were talking about was that the rest of his crew were present but hidden.

Though there is a slim possibility that you are right.
I highly doubt that. They might have met his crewmates, however, how the hell could they know they are under his command? Simply.. they could not! They did not even know if Blackbeard, by that time, was a captain of his own crew or was just some pirate wannabe fella. I won't argue, it's just so obvious.

I'd stick to the Cerberus theory, as Uriel mentioned. Or he is just a weirdo with more hearts. Oh well, he could also have another guy hidden in that big belly of his, who he would be connected to somehow and share his powers, but that's just absurd.

EMS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I looked at the page when zorro and luffy met Blackbeard and I believe you might be right about being more than one being..

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think that BB having two people within him and luffy and zoro being able to tell intuitively is not just wrong but also extremely disturbing. The manga is not dark enough to go there IMO. How would BB have 2 people within him to begin with? Is he a chimera? Does he have a twin brother inside of him from birth? The quimera is perhaps the less disturbing alternative....

I think BB was able to get two fruits because of his yami yami no mi basically. My idea is simple, he used his ability to attract things to suck out the ability out of WB. Perhaps he survived because his ability to negate DF abilities allowed him to cancel the process by which he would have exploded from having two abilities.

RichardMNixon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I highly doubt that. They might have met his crewmates, however, how the hell could they know they are under his command? Simply.. they could not! They did not even know if Blackbeard, by that time, was a captain of his own crew or was just some pirate wannabe fella. I won't argue, it's just so obvious.

I'd stick to the Cerberus theory, as Uriel mentioned. Or he is just a weirdo with more hearts. Oh well, he could also have another guy hidden in that big belly of his, who he would be connected to somehow and share his powers, but that's just absurd.
So you think it's impossible for them to deduce that he isn't alone on the island, but totally easy for them to figure out the arrangement of his internal organs?

EMS

Reaction score
Country
United States
teach was in whitebeard crew without any ambitions to became a commander as he told ace but he was looking for the right devil fruit and did alot researched on it plus what marco said about his body, i really thing that blackbeard could be more than one or his devil fruit give him more abilities than just darkness power..

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, here is another idea as for how BB got 2 DF. As we know the darkness logia cannot let things go through the user as the darkness is basically gravity which absorbs everything. What if the reason BB didn't explode was that even if eating a second fruit did start the process he still wouldn't explode because the attraction caused by his gravity would prevent him from doing so? Of course by that logic he can eat as many DFs as the gravitational pull of his body can handle.

Avid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Marco´s comment on BB´s body for example does not have anything to do with BB´s fruit, so Avid´s opinion is probably wrong.

"For normal humans that would be the case - but as you know Teach is a little different - the makeup of his body is... atypical!" (official Viz translation)
I know what he said, but I think people read too much into it. It's worth noting Marco doesn't know Blackbeard killed Thatch for that Devil Fruit. Ace didn't, and he hasn't reported in. I already explained how the motives don't exactly align with that in my last post. It's possible he can only have two and he was waiting for one that would allow him to take Whitebeard's, but I highly doubt that. Nothing about the chimera explanation satisfies all the details at hand, so I choose the more logical one, which is that the Dark-Dark Fruit is the loophole to that Devil Fruit characteristic. It's possible he can't even eat two, but can only take the ability of a user that has died if he's fast enough. The chimera theory doesn't cover the bases is the point.

Quit reading so much into these rough translations. It's possible they realized he was one of the men who attacked Drum Island. It's possible they just assumed. Ace definitely was referring to Blackbeard having twice as much experience and only choosing now to really make any power plays.

llaubacher

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
So you think it's impossible for them to deduce that he isn't alone on the island, but totally easy for them to figure out the arrangement of his internal organs?
I don't wanna argue but yes, yes I do. They could not have known whether he has crew, crewmates or whatsoever. However, Luffy and Zoro, both have showed some amazing powers. The power of hearing voices. What if Blackbeard's body, back then, released some kind of that thing? I would not leave out kkck's theory of him being chimera or having a brother within his body from his very birth. It indeed is dark as he mentioned, but it would be really terrifying and also exiciting to see something of this kind in One Piece, don't you think? Just imagine it.. unborn brother inside of his body? It gives me the creeps, man.
So yeah, I'd rather stick to them being able to x-ray Blackbeard's body than being able to tell that he has a crew on the island without being given a valid hint.

Avid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't wanna argue but yes, yes I do. They could not have known whether he has crew, crewmates or whatsoever. However, Luffy and Zoro, both have showed some amazing powers. The power of hearing voices. What if Blackbeard's body, back then, released some kind of that thing? I would not leave out kkck's theory of him being chimera or having a brother within his body from his very birth. It indeed is dark as he mentioned, but it would be really terrifying and also exiciting to see something of this kind in One Piece, don't you think? Just imagine it.. unborn brother inside of his body? It gives me the creeps, man.
So yeah, I'd rather stick to them being able to x-ray Blackbeard's body than being able to tell that he has a crew on the island without being given a valid hint.
You guys keep saying that, but they had heard of Blackbeard and his crew before that. On Drum Island, if you'll recall. They might have just connected the dots. Ace had told them he was hunting Blackbeard back in Alabasta and that he was the man who's crew attacked Drum Island.

Last edited:

BurnSchulz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
You guys can believe what you believe. The way the situation on Jaya for me was like this:

The way BB talked was hint enought for Luffy and Zoro to see that he is in fact a Member of a pitrate crew. They didnt know that he was BlackBeard - The one Ace talked about at this point. But his story about pirates Dreams - makes it clear that he is no ordinary guy but indeed a Member of a pirates crew.
I absolutely dont believe Luffy and Zoro sensed some kind of Chimera in him, or dead sibling inside his body.
No, they just knew, someone who talks like that, must be a pirate. And as a pirate on the Grand line he must have a crew. Thats what Luffy and zoro figured out after hearing his words.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Come on, the chapter basically introduced every crewmember BB had with him at java. The theory that BB is a quimera or has some sort of twin inside of him is far fetched enough already but going as far as saying that luffy and zoro felt that is not only ridiculous but completely ignores the point, them and context of those chapters. Luffy and zoro simply were able to tell BB was a pirate with a crew, nothing else.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I think yami yami no mi is the reason why Blackbeard can have more than one devil fruit. The whole two bodies thing make no sense, but his yami yami no mi seems to have interesting powers like sucking things up and rendering devil fruits useless.

Keeper of Jericho

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
What if Blackbeard is a siamese twin? Or, if not that, he was a chimera. And I don't mean in the mythological sense, but in the medical one. Perhaps his body is composed so that it tricks the DFs into thinking he is two people. We don't really know how a DF works or changes the user's body, aside from the power it gives. Does it affect the blood? Genetics? Tissue? Brain? We don't know.

Or, it's just the Yami Yami no Mi.