Discussion - Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs?

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
What if Blackbeard is a siamese twin? Or, if not that, he was a chimera. And I don't mean in the mythological sense, but in the medical one. Perhaps his body is composed so that it tricks the DFs into thinking he is two people. We don't really know how a DF works or changes the user's body, aside from the power it gives. Does it affect the blood? Genetics? Tissue? Brain? We don't know.

Or, it's just the Yami Yami no Mi.
People commenting on BB´s body, at least Marco, is hint enough that it has nothing to do with the Yami Yami no Mi. My guess is that it has got to do with both. The fruit enabled him to "suck" the Gura Gura out of WB´s body while his special body enabled him to eat a second fruit.

Muhbaer

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
I, too, believe that this cerberus theory is valid. Even if you look at his pirate flag, there is a formation of 3 skulls. strawhat pirates have one skull with strawhat, shanks has one skull with 3 scars, whitebeard one skull with beard, big mom skull with hair and lips, buggy skull with nose,
so why 3 skulls on blackbeards flag.
further I don't think his devil fruit gave BB the ability to take the gura gura no mi, because CC doesn't have the yami yami no mi and can create new devil fruits, and doflamingo got ace's fruit, but I don't think they digged the corpse out for retrieving the fruit -.-

so I really do think and hope, that BB is actually not 2, but 3 people.

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
CC did not need an ability to create devil fruit. He is a former colleague of Vegapunk, and learned from him how to make devil fruit in a lab. Vegapunk developed techniques for creating new fruit, implanting them, and removing them. CC applied that knowledge to creating SAD. Teach would need some other way of extracting devil fruit, unrelated to CC and Vegapunk.

The yami yami no mi is gravitation, a force that sucks everything in. It can allow Teach to nullify other abilities by touch. Actually being able to steal abilities is not that big a step from there. He had to do something to extract Whitebeard's devil fruit.

Cerberus seems far fetched to me. Viable, feasible, but not at all pleasing. Already having a cerberus zoan, allowing him to absorb a second ability, seems like to much of a deus ex machina to me. I am not that familiar with the theory, so please, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Muhbaer

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
imo BB took an apple under the curtain with whitebeard and it transformed into a devilfruit. then he ate it and left the curtain. Like the devilfruit that reappeared when slime was born.

Geez

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I think BB was able to get two fruits because of his yami yami no mi basically. My idea is simple, he used his ability to attract things to suck out the ability out of WB. Perhaps he survived because his ability to negate DF abilities allowed him to cancel the process by which he would have exploded from having two abilities.
The idea is appealing but questionable: why would the darkness fruit absorb the negative effect of a second fruit without suppressing the expression of the DF itself ?

Oda left us strange hints like the flag, weird quotes and the references to his special body structure... maybe it wasn't there just to mislead us.

Helly

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
After reading most posts here, I think I've got a completely different outtake on not 'how' he can have 2 devil fruit abilities but 'why'.

I think it has to do with him having the initial "D." in his name. Marshall D. Teach.
I've gotten this idea because of how in the latest chapters there's so much focus on the fact that Ace's Devil fruit, the Mera Mera fruit, should take the interest of Luffy.

I've always thought Luffy not to be the kind of person that deliberately wanted an easy power-up for himself or his crew. So why would DonFlamingo (or Oda-sensei) say he will be interested in another devil fruit (even if it's his brother's.) Could it be maybe that Oda-sensei will make Luffy eat Ace's devil fruit?

That's where my thoughts led me to the only other one with 2 devil fruit abilities and their one big similarity, their initial 'D.' Could it be that 'D' stands for Devil, a person able to handle more than 1 devil fruits? Fruits for a devil as you might say.

It's just a hypothesis. But possibly interesting?

P.S. This is my first post here, but I've been coming here to read some threads from time to time.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Luffy's interest in Ace's DF would not be for the quick powerup at all.... Luffy would want the fruit for the sentimental value, it was an intrinsic part of his beloved brother for years. Also, eating the fruit would kinda ruin one of the themes luffy has going on. Oda said that he wanted to create a main character who instead of a badass ability would have a silly ability of sorts. With that in mind I don't think oda will actually change that at all. Luffy will most likely want the fruit as a keepsake. It would be interesting if he ever finds someone to whom he would give the ability or perhaps someone who like luffy eats the fruit by accident.

suraj5898

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
i think resone why BB have more then one DF is because of his first DF. well even if he have have other/different body i think he needed that DF . its can also explain why he now collecting/hunting DF users and not before he have his first DF. some will say he didnt wanted to come on reader but even that time he can have one DF and stay out of reader.

Azuma

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
You guys keep saying that, but they had heard of Blackbeard and his crew before that. On Drum Island, if you'll recall. They might have just connected the dots. Ace had told them he was hunting Blackbeard back in Alabasta and that he was the man who's crew attacked Drum Island.
No, Blackbeard was introduced in Jaya for the first time. Luffy didn't even know he was Blackbeard until they met in Impel Down.

I think Nami asking Luffy and Zoro if he has companions is a red herring to make the scene more ambigious. Him having a crew or not would have been rather irrelevant for them if you think about it . Quite frankly, I don't even see why they would respond by saying that he has a crew. If you interpret it as they saying he has a crew, a paraphrased scene would be something like this, which makes little sense:

Nami: He probably knows something about the Sky Island.
Zoro & Luffy: Don't know. It's not a "he" though, he has companions.

It is far more logical that they corrected her when she assumed that he's one person, to me at least, and in line with the direction of the conversation.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Luffy's interest in Ace's DF would not be for the quick powerup at all.... Luffy would want the fruit for the sentimental value, it was an intrinsic part of his beloved brother for years. Also, eating the fruit would kinda ruin one of the themes luffy has going on. Oda said that he wanted to create a main character who instead of a badass ability would have a silly ability of sorts. With that in mind I don't think oda will actually change that at all. Luffy will most likely want the fruit as a keepsake. It would be interesting if he ever finds someone to whom he would give the ability or perhaps someone who like luffy eats the fruit by accident.
I could actually see Luffy giving the mera mera no mi to someone who he thought was worthy of it, similar to how he gave Nami his hat to wear despite the attachment. It could be Luffy's way of saying how much he likes the person or accepts him. Would be a great symbolism, next to letting someone else wear his hat for a while.

But anyway, yami yami no mi is the only thing that makes sense as to why Blackbeard can have two devil fruits... unless he just absorbed the power instead of the devil fruit?

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
What doesn't make sense is him hunting for fruit users. Is he taking those powers for himself or is he giving them to his crew? Because, if he's giving them to his crew, it means it's not about his logia, but about the procedure he did on WB that had to be hidden from the views with a large shroud. It could mean that people who see what he does could duplicate it.

Helly

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I could actually see Luffy giving the mera mera no mi to someone who he thought was worthy of it, similar to how he gave Nami his hat to wear despite the attachment. It could be Luffy's way of saying how much he likes the person or accepts him. Would be a great symbolism, next to letting someone else wear his hat for a while.
Hhhmmm interesting I did not know Oda wanted to create a main character with 'silly' abilities. And as for the giving away the Mera Mera fruit to someone worthy, there might actually be something there. Then I'd go on a limp and say he might give the fruit to Shanks in return for him eating the Gomu Gomu fruit. Wild guess but I can't see Luffy giving the fruit to one of the crew.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
No, Blackbeard was introduced in Jaya for the first time. Luffy didn't even know he was Blackbeard until they met in Impel Down.

I think Nami asking Luffy and Zoro if he has companions is a red herring to make the scene more ambigious. Him having a crew or not would have been rather irrelevant for them if you think about it . Quite frankly, I don't even see why they would respond by saying that he has a crew. If you interpret it as they saying he has a crew, a paraphrased scene would be something like this, which makes little sense:

Nami: He probably knows something about the Sky Island.
Zoro & Luffy: Don't know. It's not a "he" though, he has companions.

It is far more logical that they corrected her when she assumed that he's one person, to me at least, and in line with the direction of the conversation.
What he is saying is that the BB pirates were first mentioned on drum island (they were the ones who almost destroyed the island and wapo flee) but they were first actually seen at java.

Azuma

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
What he is saying is that the BB pirates were first mentioned on drum island (they were the ones who almost destroyed the island and wapo flee) but they were first actually seen at java.
Ah, I completely forgot about that! Well regardless, Luffy and Zoro were unaware of who they were and I still find it completely illogical that they would tell Nami that it's not a "he" but a "they" in response.

To illustrate my point, let's say that you, together with a friend, is a tourist in some random country and you want to ask someone for directions. You spot someone, who happens to be with a few other people, and tell your friend "Let's go ask that guy. Maybe he can tell us where to find xxx". I seriously doubt your friend (or anyone in general for that matter) would reply "It's not a 'he', it's a 'they" simply because that person happens to be in a group. It is completely irrelevant for your motive.

Avid

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My theory that they recognized him is wrong.

That said. I understand what you're saying Azuma, but it doesn't really explain their intensity towards him. Why would they behave that way just because he genuinely applauded them? And if they could tell he had some interesting body why didn't Luffy seem intrigued like he usually is? So many things about this scene just don't fit, but it's totally possible they just got a vibe from him that said bad pirate captain.

Azuma

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
My theory that they recognized him is wrong.

That said. I understand what you're saying Azuma, but it doesn't really explain their intensity towards him. Why would they behave that way just because he genuinely applauded them? And if they could tell he had some interesting body why didn't Luffy seem intrigued like he usually is? So many things about this scene just don't fit, but it's totally possible they just got a vibe from him that said bad pirate captain.
Could you elaborate on the bolded part? I'm not fully aware of what you are referring to.

Avid

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The intensity they had.

MBVC

Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
What doesn't make sense is him hunting for fruit users. Is he taking those powers for himself or is he giving them to his crew? Because, if he's giving them to his crew, it means it's not about his logia, but about the procedure he did on WB that had to be hidden from the views with a large shroud. It could mean that people who see what he does could duplicate it.
Finally someone mentions this!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure why people believe in what Marco said, he just made a guess and he was wrong about his guess, that's all. You should remember that BB lied about his true strength hence how did Marco know his secret?

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Btw, if BB is shown to have 4 different df power then I guess that 3 skulls theory is out for good.

Azuma

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
That did cross my mind, but the thing that speaks against it, i't seem to be one of the n my opinion, is that Blackbeard would be the one to come up. He doesn't seem like he would have the scientific insight to come up with this instead of Vegapunk, for example, whose intelligence has been hyped for so long.

It's also possible that the shtroud was thrown over Whitebeard not to reveal it immediately. He did, after all, talk about giving the whole world a 'huge show' a few times. The effect would partially have been ruined if everyone had seen him in the process.

Regardless, what does seem to speak against the theory is that Blackbeard seems to be able to transfer DF powers to his own crew. The question, however, is if he is giving each of them only one at most, or if others can carry more than one as well. There's also the distinction about having two DF powers and eating two DFs. The former would perhaps not necessarily lead to the implosion of the person.

I don't think Marco lied/was mistaken. Given how long Teach had been in the Whitebeard crew (since prior to Gol D. Roger's death) they probably knew each other pretty well, even though they didn't know about his real motives.