I still agree with the blogger, but I wouldn't limit the media problems to our country. All forms of media around the globe are going through tons of "dumbing down" processes, wherein everything is starting to resemble each other (in terms of shallow content, in order to please the shallow majority that consume). May it be TV shows, movies, video games, or radio shows, it's all gone to the shitter...and along with it, the brains of the world's people.
I for one believe that subcultural languages are detrimental to the survival of the languages that they are derived from, but I understand that it is a necessary evil, in order for languages to evolve. Do I use them? Yes, I think we all do (since jargon counts).
The validity of the problem is relative to the person who views it. Viewed from a nationalistic standpoint, the points he's raised may be deemed petty, but for someone who is not nationalistic and is only interested in weeding out problems, they're pretty valid. As far as nationalism is concerned, I'm on the same boat as George Carlin.
I'm sorry if the tagalog/english comment offended you, I only used it because they are the two languages I am exposed to within the metro (chinese doesn't count, since only one person talks to me in chinese). What I was trying to say is that a large majority of people nowadays have little to no mastery over at least one language...which is sad, since it shows how bad the educational system is. I myself have friends (friends that I grew up with) who only speak "Coño English" and "Taglish" (sadly, their best attempt at tagalog), and it pains me because I know that they're fully capable of speaking in straight English, yet they choose to sound like imbeciles...and all because of the media. One of those said friends works as a DJ for a local radio station, and he actually said that he was told to speak in "Taglish", just so that the listeners can better relate (their target audience being teens to young adults)...ugh...