Year Round The Football/Soccer Thread v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Not at all, I've already said it. I refused to admit he was the best until last year. But after what happened in this last 5 or 6 years there's no doubt he is.

It's not that I love him, I just think that the guy is a beast, the best ever, and I enjoy watching him play if I can (even though Barcelona's matches bore me like hell). I've always liked RM more (except at Dinho's time) and in Spain the only team I kinda support is Real Sociedad.

In this CL I actually want exactly the same as Nast, Barcelona vs RM and Bayern vs Dortmund, with Borussia winning the cup.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Also, I usually post videos of him because the media spams them like hell here (and those videos are quite interesting :XD) and in Argentina we actually joke about how godlike he is.

Btw, my favourite player is Ponzio from River Plate.
Ah, I see. In America, we get a bit different view on Messi. He's hailed as the greatest and that every Argentinian loves him, and thus, every Argentinian in the world (plus the random bandwagon hopping Americans) idolize Barca.

Story about Barca, actually. When I was in Germany and I was watching the CL SF, so many people with Barca jerseys walked into the pub that it was ridiculous. It was like, "WTF, people? Not all of you are Barca fans. There just cannot be that many Barca fans. Damn bandwagon hoppers!"
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Here's something to think about, however. The refs weren't blatantly against you. It's not like the 08/09 SF where that ref, while he did rightfully send the Barca player off, refused to give us four penalties. I do think that in all of the hatred for Tom Henning Ovrebo, Chelsea fans do tend to forget that he did send off a Barca player along the way, it's just that the fact that he didn't bury the match is what angers us. Interesting, they won when they were a man down and then we won when we were a man down.
:BlahBlah Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea

Yeah feel better about the heartbreaking loss Nast.J, at least the refs were fair :derp

Sorry :XD

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Ah, I see. In America, we get a bit different view on Messi. He's hailed as the greatest and that every Argentinian loves him, and thus, every Argentinian in the world (plus the random bandwagon hopping Americans) idolize Barca.

Story about Barca, actually. When I was in Germany and I was watching the CL SF, so many people with Barca jerseys walked into the pub that it was ridiculous. It was like, "WTF, people? Not all of you are Barca fans. There just cannot be that many Barca fans. Damn bandwagon hoppers!"
It's a smaller sample size, but the people I know who follow the game internationally actually support RM more than Barca. But I already have let my opinion on a supporting foreign teams be known.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
:BlahBlah Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea

Yeah feel better about the heartbreaking loss Nast.J, at least the refs were fair :derp

Sorry :XD


It's a smaller sample size, but the people I know who follow the game internationally actually support RM more than Barca. But I already have let my opinion on a supporting foreign teams be known.
Ibra's goal shouldn't have stood, as it was offsides, but Alexis' penalty wasn't a penalty either.

Really? Most of the people I know just support an English team. Then again, I'm sure that there are plenty of Madrid fans out there, they're just not as vocal.

I was in a restaurant back in the fall and this family came in. The father had a Barca jersey on and he'd dressed his two small children in Barca jerseys as well. It about made me want to scream.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Don't forget about that really questionable penalty Alexis won back in the first match. :P

Here's something to think about, however. The refs weren't blatantly against you. It's not like the 08/09 SF where that ref, while he did rightfully send the Barca player off, refused to give us four penalties. I do think that in all of the hatred for Tom Henning Ovrebo, Chelsea fans do tend to forget that he did send off a Barca player along the way, it's just that the fact that he didn't bury the match is what angers us. Interesting, they won when they were a man down and then we won when we were a man down.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------



An English team won at the Allianz Arena, so it would definitely be the reverse if it happens this season.
Well, i was more referring to the significance of Wembley and the history with Germany but since the stadium is new anyway, i guess it is not that funny.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Ibra's goal shouldn't have stood, as it was offsides, but Alexis' penalty wasn't a penalty either.

Really? Most of the people I know just support an English team. Then again, I'm sure that there are plenty of Madrid fans out there, they're just not as vocal.

I was in a restaurant back in the fall and this family came in. The father had a Barca jersey on and he'd dressed his two small children in Barca jerseys as well. It about made me want to scream.
It's the same reason people are Man U or AC Milan fans. The same reason people wear Yankee caps, or root for the Lakers overseas. Bandwagoning.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,133
Reaction score
14,110
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Ah, I see. In America, we get a bit different view on Messi. He's hailed as the greatest and that every Argentinian loves him, and thus, every Argentinian in the world (plus the random bandwagon hopping Americans) idolize Barca.

Story about Barca, actually. When I was in Germany and I was watching the CL SF, so many people with Barca jerseys walked into the pub that it was ridiculous. It was like, "WTF, people? Not all of you are Barca fans. There just cannot be that many Barca fans. Damn bandwagon hoppers!"
There's a lot of bandwagon hoppers here (most of them don't really know shit about football though). A friend of mine rooted for Valencia some years ago and yhese last years he had been supporting Barca, dafuq. Another friend of mine supports RM for the same reason I like them, "Los Galácticos", but at least he has a reason. Barcelona is just a... fashion? It'll end soon (I hope).

And there are also the guys that say that Maradona was better just because he won a WC and he did it with a worse team that nowadays Argentina (BS). + maradona won a "CL"(it was a UEFA Cup) with Napoli and Messi just wins with Barcelona. Then you try to talk to them and tell them that Maradona played with great team mates and that he sucked in Barcelona when he had the chance... just to realise that you're discussing with apes.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

The same reason people wear Yankee caps, or root for the Heat overseas. Bandwagoning.
:nod

...

And I don't follow Baseball at all but I like the Red Sox :XD
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It's the same reason people are Man U or AC Milan fans. The same reason people wear Yankee caps, or root for the Lakers overseas. Bandwagoning.
I already mentioned random bandwagon hopping Americans in an earlier post.

I've honestly never met a Milan supporter in the States. United, Barca, Liverpool, and Chelsea are the four main supporter groups, with Chelsea probably having the least.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,133
Reaction score
14,110
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
What, more Liverpool fans than RM? dafuq
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
There's a lot of bandwagon hoppers here (most of them don't really know shit about football though). A friend of mine rooted for Valencia some years ago and yhese last years he had been supporting Barca, dafuq. Another friend of mine supports RM for the same reason I like them, "Los Galácticos", but at least he has a reason. Barcelona is just a... fashion? It'll end soon (I hope).

And there are also the guys that say that Maradona was better just because he won a WC and he did it with a worse team that nowadays Argentina (BS). + maradona won a "CL"(it was a UEFA Cup) with Napoli and Messi just wins with Barcelona. Then you try to talk to them and tell them that Maradona played with great team mates and that he sucked in Barcelona when he had the chance... just to realise that you're discussing with apes.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------



:nod

...

And I don't follow Baseball at all but I like the Red Sox :XD
That is amusing. Didn't Argentina have some better defenders back then though? None of Argetina's back four are exactly top class defenders. Overall, of course today's Argentina is much better.

Was the reason that he was supporting Valencia because they'd won a few league titles at the start of the last decade?

There's nothing wrong with being a Red Sox fan. I have plenty of friends who are Red Sox fans, but most of them live in and around Boston.

I am a Yankees fan and a Patriots fan, but that's because of where I was born and right where I grew up, fans sort of had the option of going for one of several teams. All Patriots, Giants, Jets, and Bills (if you count them) games are shown every week. My dad grew up in NYC so I was a Yankees fan because of that.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

What, more Liverpool fans than RM? dafuq
There are a good number of Madrid fans out there somewhere (I've never met any), but they're definitely not as vocal and a lot of Americans choose to identify with other English speakers, which is a big reason that the Premier League is the most popular league in America. BeIn Sports shows Barca and Madrid every week, so it's not as if you can't see them.
 

Nast.J

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
401
Reaction score
183
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
I actually am not mad at all about the referee, they made mistakes but it was settled. If the players moved on then the fans should move on. The game to win was today and we lost because we didn't score more. But i'm proud of PSG, most of the players are playing together since this year and they're already pretty good. They managed to tie both games vs Barca and could have won but fucking Lavezzi was unlucky as fuck, the guy had two opportunities to score and he missed them, 2 good ones.

It's because of games like that, that i happen to hate argentinians. Today i guess i'm hating Messi because even though he didn't do anything spectacular (he played good though) he managed to give FCB's their spirits back, i'm hating on Lavezzi because he had two huge chances to score and he failed both and i'm hating on Hardy because well.. He's from argentina :^_^

Anyways we didn't lose a game vs Barcelona, next year is gonna be our turn. I hope they kick Beckham, he's a waste who's only good at getting yellow cards...

Lucas has shown that he was one of the best player in Europe right now, let's see what he does at the World Cup!

Go Dortmund beat them all! Actually i've changed my mind, i want a Bayern vs FCB and Dortmund vs RM, Ronaldo and Messi losing in the same round would be funny!

I wish i could have been in Lavezzi's body for those two actions, I would have scored for sure :teehee
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
:nod

...

And I don't follow Baseball at all but I like the Red Sox :XD
That's only within the last two years or so. It's still the Lakers, and before that it was the Bulls.


Wat...that makes no sense. I didn't know anyone south of Colombia cared about beisbol :huh

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

I already mentioned random bandwagon hopping Americans in an earlier post.

I've honestly never met a Milan supporter in the States. United, Barca, Liverpool, and Chelsea are the four main supporter groups, with Chelsea probably having the least.
Then you obviously don't know many Italian soccer fans :blink
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,133
Reaction score
14,110
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
That is amusing. Didn't Argentina have some better defenders back then though? None of Argetina's back four are exactly top class defenders. Overall, of course today's Argentina is much better.

Was the reason that he was supporting Valencia because they'd won a few league titles at the start of the last decade?

There's nothing wrong with being a Red Sox fan. I have plenty of friends who are Red Sox fans, but most of them live in and around Boston.

I am a Yankees fan and a Patriots fan, but that's because of where I was born and right where I grew up, fans sort of had the option of going for one of several teams. All Patriots, Giants, Jets, and Bills (if you count them) games are shown every week. My dad grew up in NYC so I was a Yankees fan because of that.
He liked Valencia because of Villa (and probably some titles), he like Roma before because of Totti (... and probably some titles).

Maybe Argentina is better right now, but football has changed. With some decent tactics and players, any team can beat anyone. I still remember when Bolivia beat us 6-1, Maradona said "Height doesn't play, players do" and that gave us probably the most pathetic lose in an eliminatory ever.

It's because of games like that, that i happen to hate argentinians. Today i guess i'm hating Messi because even though he didn't do anything spectacular (he played good though) he managed to give FCB's their spirits back, i'm hating on Lavezzi because he had two huge chances to score and he failed both and i'm hating on Hardy because well.. He's from argentina :^_^


---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Wat...that makes no sense. I didn't know anyone south of Colombia cared about beisbol :huh
We don't, that sport is boring like hell, but I watch a couple of matches each year (same happens with American Football but I just don't like any team).
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
We don't, that sport is boring like hell, but I watch a couple of matches each year (same happens with American Football but I just don't like any team).
Then why do you watch it? Surprise they even air it there.

Red Sox...sorry, we're not friends anymore :dumpster
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Then you obviously don't know many Italian soccer fans :blink
Does it look like I hang out with Jersey Shore types? :troll

I'm only kidding there, but no, I don't know many Italian football fans.

He liked Valencia because of Villa (and probably some titles), he like Roma before because of Totti (... and probably some titles).

Maybe Argentina is better right now, but football has changed. With some decent tactics and players, any team can beat anyone. I still remember when Bolivia beat us 6-1, Maradona said "Height doesn't play, players do" and that gave us probably the most pathetic lose in a eliminatory ever.





We don't, that sport is boring like hell, but I watch a couple of matches each year (same happens with American Football but I just don't like any team).
That's because Maradona apparently didn't understand set pieces.

They're called games.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Then why do you watch it? Surprise they even air it there.

Red Sox...sorry, we're not friends anymore :dumpster
Do you support the Orioles then?
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,133
Reaction score
14,110
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Then why do you watch it? Surprise they even air it there.

Red Sox...sorry, we're not friends anymore :dumpster
If I watch it, I do it while doing something else :nod

They only air it if it's an important match or if there's nothing else :lmao

Top 3 sports aired here must be football (we have top 3 Euro leagues, French league, sometimes Netherlands and Portugal -if you pay more you get all theit matches- CL, Libertadores and our league -a decade ago we couldn't watch our own league, you had to pay to be premium... then the Kirchner bought the rights), then Basketball (Nba, ours and some Euro) and Tennis.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

They're called games.
Isn't it a synonym?
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Germany vs Spain!!

:3c

Well it certainly was an interesting quarter final round...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Match is typically used in non-team sports here. Tennis, Golf, etc. Game is used otherwise.

And yes, I'm a Baltimoron, so I support both pro teams here. But I don't support DC United.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Match is typically used in non-team sports here. Tennis, Golf, etc. Game is used otherwise.

And yes, I'm a Baltimoron, so I support both pro teams here. But I don't support DC United.
Way to insult yourself there. Shouldn't it be Balitmorean? :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top